PDA

View Full Version : Tracks randomly not finishing

t-force
2009-04-27, 06:38
Hi guys,

I'm having a strange intermittent problem with my Squeezeboxes (SB3 & Boom): every now and again, while either machine is playing a song (FLAC, mp3 or AAC), it suddenly jumps to the next one with no warning - there's no indication that it's doing any buffering or anything like that. Sometimes the player recognises that it's skipped on to the next track, but sometimes it (and also iPeng) doesn't - so if it skipped ahead one track (e.g. to track 3), it still thinks it's playing the previous track (i.e. track 2), and then manually skipping ahead goes to track 4, in this case, but it still says it's playing track 3!!

This doesn't happen at all with radio stations (iPlayer, Live 365 and Last.FM get a lot of use), only with tracks in my library. The problem seems to be a lot more prevalent on AAC tracks than with FLAC.

Can anyone shed any light on what might be causing this problem, and how I can rectify it?

Cheers,

Toby

t-force
2009-05-01, 04:23
^bump

Can anyone help with this?

t-force
2009-05-11, 06:57
Anyone? Getting a leeetle frustrated with this particular problem!

Aesculus
2009-05-11, 07:01
Hi guys,

I'm having a strange intermittent problem with my Squeezeboxes (SB3 & Boom): every now and again, while either machine is playing a song (FLAC, mp3 or AAC), it suddenly jumps to the next one with no warning - there's no indication that it's doing any buffering or anything like that. Sometimes the player recognises that it's skipped on to the next track, but sometimes it (and also iPeng) doesn't - so if it skipped ahead one track (e.g. to track 3), it still thinks it's playing the previous track (i.e. track 2), and then manually skipping ahead goes to track 4, in this case, but it still says it's playing track 3!!

This doesn't happen at all with radio stations (iPlayer, Live 365 and Last.FM get a lot of use), only with tracks in my library. The problem seems to be a lot more prevalent on AAC tracks than with FLAC.

Can anyone shed any light on what might be causing this problem, and how I can rectify it?

Cheers,

Toby

I think I have seen this too on 7.3.2 and also with iPeng. I had one song that also kept the trackinfo alive while three tracks played through.

Don't have any answers to it though.

Zn0rt
2009-05-11, 15:44
I think I have seen this too on 7.3.2 and also with iPeng. I had one song that also kept the trackinfo alive while three tracks played through.

Don't have any answers to it though.

I have this, occasionally, randomly, on SC 7.3.2 (Vista 64bit) with SB3 and Duet via wireless. Happens maybe once per day. Doesn't crash or make any glitches in the audio, just cuts one track short and jumps to the next.

-Z

dekaliber
2009-05-12, 06:12
I've definitely also observed this phenomenon on my SB3. I swear it's happened in SC versions older than 7.3.2, but I want to say that I haven't seen it happen since I changed my router to a D-Link DIR-655 from a Linksys WRT54G. Not really knowing much about the issue, I think it might have something to do with getting dropped from the network and not correctly rebuffering upon reconnection, so it just skips to the next track. (Taking a pretty wild guess there.)

msobetzko
2009-05-13, 09:19
I had this problem and it drove me nuts. My situation was as follows:

I am using a NAS box to store all my music files and I am running SC 7.32 on a PC accessing the NAS as a standard drive letter.

Well, the "skipping" started and continued to get worse. I could not figure the difficulty, rescanned the database, turned off all virus checks, extra apps, removed all plugins, etc.

After much frustration I rebooted my NAS box. Well, upon rebooting the box indicated that it is fixing and recreating file structure. Interesting. Ten hours later the box completed the "fix" and was up.

No problems with skipping since.

mortod
2009-05-13, 09:26
I'm having a similar problem. I find tracks are truncated (ie stopped short of the end). It only seems to be a problem with stuff recently added to the library (I have tried re-scanning the library).

Most of my music is stored as flac (and I use InguzDSP though don't know if that is relevant), so I'm thinking it is perhaps a problem with flac.exe used during playback. I've tried downgrading the version of flac.exe but that has not helped.

Is there any pattern to your problem (ie recent music only, or flac only)?

Phil Leigh
2009-05-13, 10:28
A possible cause is failure to read part of the source file from disk... however if this does happen, there are logging options that should detect it. You need to turn on player logging in Settings - Advanced - logging on the Web GUI... I think it's player streaming that you need to log?
when the skipping occurs something should appear in the logs...
However, if this was the cause you would expect it to repeatable - the sam track would skip again...

Anyway, rather than speculation, turn on logging and see what you get.

mortod
2009-05-13, 13:02
Turned on logging, and got the following:

[09-05-13 20:57:13.3534] Slim::Player::Source::playmode (412) 00:04:20:06:60:20 New play mode: play
[09-05-13 20:57:13.3636] Slim::Player::Source::playmode (581) 00:04:20:06:60:20: Current playmode: play
[09-05-13 20:57:15.2637] Slim::Player::Squeezebox2::directHeaders (333) Processing headers for direct streaming:
HTTP/1.0 200 OK

Server: SqueezeCenter (7.2 - 22900)

Connection: close

Content-Type: audio/mpeg

[09-05-13 20:57:16.1353] Slim::Player::Source::readNextChunk (2509) Read to end of file or pipe
[09-05-13 20:57:16.1359] Slim::Player::Source::readNextChunk (2532) end of file or error on socket, opening next song, (song pos: 571904(tell says: . 0 but true), totalbytes: 0)
[09-05-13 20:57:16.1365] Slim::Player::Source::gotoNext (1355) Opening next song...

The problem is very repeatable - the same track always skips in the same place.

But I'm sure the flac file is OK, as I do not get this behaviour when streaming from SC to Winamp (or when playing the file direct in winamp).

jrichardson
2009-05-13, 13:14
Please try the latest 7.3.3 beta version

http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/?ver=7.3

mortod
2009-05-13, 14:21
Have fixed my problem. I had recently changed the user that 'owns' SC to be a limited account. Changing SC to run from an account with full privileges fixed the problem. Still seems odd though, particularly as some albums played fine, and even the problem ones played (albeit with truncating).