PDA

View Full Version : 1.5 Terabite drive

Nonreality
2009-04-24, 21:13
Not sure if this is against the rules here but if you need a external drive Costco has a 1.5 terabyte Seagate Free Agent drive on a coupon. Normally 139.99 US, coupon 30.00 off. I have a 750gB version from about a year and a half ago and it's the best external I've ever used. It says you can get it online too which is nice. Good until May 3rd. Hard to beat for 110 bucks. I'd like to get 2 but will have to settle for one.

atrocity
2009-04-26, 09:58
Not sure if this is against the rules here but if you need a external drive Costco has a 1.5 terabyte Seagate Free Agent drive on a coupon. Normally 139.99 US, coupon 30.00 off. I have a 750gB version from about a year and a half ago and it's the best external I've ever used. It says you can get it online too which is nice. Good until May 3rd. Hard to beat for 110 bucks. I'd like to get 2 but will have to settle for one.

Not trying to start an argument, but do you know if the reliability has improved? When they first introduced the 1.5Tb drives, I read *tons* of complaints...it seemed like they just really didn't work.

Gibbo
2009-04-26, 10:01
From what i've heard they are having a nightmare with the 11th generation 1.5TB drives, so much so that their 12th generation has already been released and only goes up to 1TB.

I think they are ok if they work, they just seem to have compatibilty problems across the board.

Saying all that. if it works for you, that is a great price!

MeSue
2009-04-26, 11:13
Not trying to start an argument, but do you know if the reliability has improved? When they first introduced the 1.5Tb drives, I read *tons* of complaints...it seemed like they just really didn't work.

I bought an internal 1.5 TB Seagate in Feb. that has been working well. (Couldn't pass it up at $86 shipped!) OTOH, I just had to RMA the first bad hard drive I have had in about 13 years. It was a Seagate 500 GB.

Benefactor
2009-04-26, 12:24
I have four of the Freeagent extreme 1.5 TB desktop drives...so far, I don't have any major issues to report (knock on wood).

FWIW, I'd never backup anything to them that I don't have redundant backups of already.

funkstar
2009-04-26, 14:41
From what i've heard they are having a nightmare with the 11th generation 1.5TB drives, so much so that their 12th generation has already been released and only goes up to 1TB.
Only 1TB for now. according to their press release of 22 April, they will be hitting 2TB at some point.

http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=18154

Nonreality
2009-04-26, 18:14
I've been running my library from a 750gB freeagent drive for over a year now and it's been fantastic. I see that there are about 36 1star reviews at Amazon but as a percentage who knows. Costco has a great return policy and Seagate seems to stand behind them. I'm going to try one to replace a Western digital that has been to put it nice , not a good drive.