PDA

View Full Version : Newbie issues

surfing_ant
2009-04-23, 03:26
My Squeezebox Boom arrived yesterday, but my excitement is dimming rapidly... I'm hoping I just haven't worked out the settings properly!

I'm using a macbook pro running latest version of OSX, music library is from iTunes...

* When streaming music from my library it's constantly interrupted by "rebuffering". Playback continues after about 30 seconds and then rebuffering kicks in again. Is this simply an issue of signal strength, or is there somewhere I can set a longer buffer? I've only found one for internet radio so far. Changing to proxied streaming didn't seem to help.

* Responsiveness is really slow, i.e changing volume using the remote takes maybe 3-5 seconds before the device responds, sometimes the menus have a similar issue.

* Sound is less than awesome... Any recommendations on audio settings? The wiki post on quality wasn't quite relevant.

So far I don't really think this thing justifies the hype, but I really want to get the most out of it!

Thanks in advance for your help, and sorry for the huge post ;)

toby10
2009-04-23, 03:35
My Squeezebox Boom arrived yesterday, but my excitement is dimming rapidly... I'm hoping I just haven't worked out the settings properly!

I'm using a macbook pro running latest version of OSX, music library is from iTunes...

* When streaming music from my library it's constantly interrupted by "rebuffering". Playback continues after about 30 seconds and then rebuffering kicks in again. Is this simply an issue of signal strength, or is there somewhere I can set a longer buffer? I've only found one for internet radio so far. Changing to proxied streaming didn't seem to help.

* Responsiveness is really slow, i.e changing volume using the remote takes maybe 3-5 seconds before the device responds, sometimes the menus have a similar issue.

* Sound is less than awesome... Any recommendations on audio settings? The wiki post on quality wasn't quite relevant.

So far I don't really think this thing justifies the hype, but I really want to get the most out of it!

Thanks in advance for your help, and sorry for the huge post ;)

I'd bet your buffering and slow remote response are due to WiFi issues. It would help to know your exact setup and how the devices are connected (wired, wireless).

Have you checked for competing WiFi networks from your Boom location?
WiFi ch #'s around you?
Is your computer wired to your router (avoiding a double WiFi hop)?

There are some audio tweaks and tips but let's get your Boom functioning properly first. :)

surfing_ant
2009-04-23, 03:48
Thanks Toby, I think it all becomes a bit intimidating quite quickly.

Everything is connected wirelessly - the router is at the other end of the house, less than an ideal set-up but that was the point of the operation!

Signal strength is still pretty good, are there any particular settings on my router which could be having an impact? I don't know much about it but have had an issue in the past, which a bit of tinkering did fix, but I can't remember what was changed...

Router is Linksys WAG200G, security is WPA2-mixed.

There aren't any other networks around that could be interfering.

Signal strength to the boom is around 60% according to the SqueezeCenter.

Let me know if there's more useful information I could give - I'm supposed to be technically minded but networking is definitely not my specialty!

toby10
2009-04-23, 05:14
Thanks Toby, I think it all becomes a bit intimidating quite quickly.

Everything is connected wirelessly - the router is at the other end of the house, less than an ideal set-up but that was the point of the operation!

Signal strength is still pretty good, are there any particular settings on my router which could be having an impact? I don't know much about it but have had an issue in the past, which a bit of tinkering did fix, but I can't remember what was changed...

Router is Linksys WAG200G, security is WPA2-mixed.

There aren't any other networks around that could be interfering.

Signal strength to the boom is around 60% according to the SqueezeCenter.

Let me know if there's more useful information I could give - I'm supposed to be technically minded but networking is definitely not my specialty!

Being a 60% signal to your Boom PLUS a second WiFi hop to your computer/server is likely your issue. And likely not to be fixed without wiring one of your devices (preferably your computer).

I'd suggest wiring your computer to your router temporarily (I hope it's a laptop if not near your router) and see if that resolves the problem. As the Boom is quite portable you can easily wire it to your router.

What type of files are you trying to stream to your Boom? MP3? FLAC? WAV? iTunes?

kc5f
2009-04-23, 06:38
Also, what about moving the router to the middle of the house? Made a big difference in our setup, which has no delays.

surfing_ant
2009-04-24, 17:02
I'm playing my iTunes library which for the most part is comprised of MP3's.

I could wire my computer, but that really would defeat the purpose of the setup I had in mind. I might have another machine which can host my music library though, and which I could wire permanently.

Moving the router to a more central location might work, a good tip, thanks.

toby10
2009-04-25, 02:51
I'm playing my iTunes library which for the most part is comprised of MP3's.

I could wire my computer, but that really would defeat the purpose of the setup I had in mind. I might have another machine which can host my music library though, and which I could wire permanently.

Moving the router to a more central location might work, a good tip, thanks.

Understood. But I'm suggesting you wire your computer *temporarily* to test the issue, just a couple of hours. There are a number of possible solutions to overcome a WiFi issue (like a double hop).
But it is pointless to go down that road until you have tested/determined the problem. :)