PDA

View Full Version : iTunes and Squeezebox

bozer
2009-04-22, 11:28
Hey all

New here. I love this device. I love how customizable everything is. Question though:

What is the best way to intergrate itunes with the Squeezebox Boom?

What settings do I need to choose? For instance, how can I make my iTunes playslists browsable in Squeeze center and on my boom? I'm a bit confused. There's an itunes tab in Squeezecenter and I have all the info set, but I'm not sure if its working right.

bozer
2009-04-22, 11:56
Something I also should have mentioned --

I see how to add podcasts, but is there any easier way then finding out the exact feed? The podcasts i use in itunes, I havent been able to find out what their feed is exactly.

-Rob

jdbaker
2009-04-22, 16:43
My advice, ditch iTunes controlling your SC library, after years of frustration with iTunes I finally got rid of it, I let SC control the library, rip with DB Poweramp, converted my iTunes playlists to M3U files. I don't know anything about podcasts, but my system works much smoother now.

bozer
2009-04-22, 17:14
Well, I'll agree with you that itunes is indeed lacking, but I use it for my iPod touch and I've tagged all my stuff a certain way.. its too late to turn back.

jdbaker
2009-04-22, 20:05
Virtually all of my SC library is apple lossless files ripped and tagged w/iTunes. SC reads these fine. I still use iTunes to load my ipods. I just switched to ripping with DB Poweramp and it can rip to apple lossless files. Much more control of the rip, tagging and artwork. To use SC instead of iTunes, uncheck iTunes in the plugins tab and in basic settings aim SC to your iTunes library, in my system it looks like this M:\iTunes\iTunes Music, you can search google and find a program that converts itunes playlists to m3u playlists and aim SC at those, on my system C:\SlimPlaylists. For me itunes and SC just did not work that well together, I like this system much better.

Chunkywizard
2009-04-23, 01:59
Hi there,

I use iTunes and SqueezeCentre fine together. It just depends what information you want to use from iTunes in SC and whether you want it one way or two-ways. If you have rated all of your tracks in iTunes (as I have) then you need to use the TrackStat/ Custom Scan/ Dynamic Playlists PlugIns from erland. If you wish to import certain tags or convert them custom scan can do this as well. Custom Scan also imports play counts. If you wish SC to update all this information then read it back into iTunes then Custom Scan can do this as well (using the iTunes Export function) but it's a manual process, you have to run a script (which I guess could be automated through a batch process).

Anyway, it's all doable, you need to start by reading erlands wiki and downloading the plug-ins. If you have any questions then just ask.

HTH

CW

bozer
2009-04-23, 07:16
Hey Chunky

One question I have...

Is there a way to have Squeeze Center automatically grab the podcasts that I have in iTunes? I can't figure that out. I do know how to manually add the feeds, but I would think there's a way to have it pull the same podcasts I'm subscribed to in itunes.

Man I love how awesome this community is and how tweakable this radio is. One of the best things I've ever bought.

Thanks for your help

cunobelinus@mac.com
2009-04-23, 07:36
There's a podcast plug in. Enable it by checking the box in "plug
ins" (under settings). That should do the trick.

Geraint.

On 23 Apr 2009, at 15:16, bozer wrote:

>
> Hey Chunky
>
> One question I have...
>
> Is there a way to have Squeeze Center automatically grab the podcasts
> that I have in iTunes? I can't figure that out. I do know how to
> manually add the feeds, but I would think there's a way to have it
> pull
> the same podcasts I'm subscribed to in itunes.
>
> Man I love how awesome this community is and how tweakable this radio
> is. One of the best things I've ever bought.
>
> Thanks for your help
>
>
> --
> bozer
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> --
> bozer's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=29821
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=62638
>
>

bozer
2009-04-23, 08:27
Ahhh --

By default I thought all of those were enabled. I'll give that a shot. Thanks guys