PDA

View Full Version : From OS X to Windows

JMG
2009-04-22, 05:44
My old G3 (600 MHz PPC) is running out of steam and I think to buy a PC running Windows XP (2,5GHz Intel Core Duo 2) to replace it. I would loke to buy a Mac but a PC is about third the price and I intend to use it only as a music server. Anyone has experience switching their SqueezeCenter from OS X to Windows? My mini-LAN is OS X only (3 computers including the server). Iím controlling the SC server from another computer via VNC - is is easy to control a Windows server from a Mac? Is transition from iTunes OS X to iTunes Windows simple?

Thanks!

JMG

pippin
2009-04-22, 06:02
How about a Mac Mini?
Nettop?

funkstar
2009-04-22, 06:20
If it's just for running SC, then a basic windows PC is probably the best bang for your buck you can get. You should be able to find a clearance special or something that fits your needs.

I don't think there is a difference between iTunes on Windows or Mac, but having never used it I can't say for sure.

using VLC isn't going to be a problem, you can use any combination of OS for the client or server.

JMG
2009-04-22, 08:58
How about a Mac Mini?
Nettop?

A Mac Mini would be fine, perhaps used. I didn't know about Nettop computers. Will check that. I guess the faster, the better...

cunobelinus@mac.com
2009-04-22, 10:12
Old Mac Minis are fine for SC, although I admit that the response to
iPeng is slow on mine. I run it on an early-ish one one not much
faster than your current G3 (the 800MHz version, to be precise),
under OSX 10.4.11 and it can take 10 or 15 seconds for sound to
reach the speakers after poking "play". Sometimes it feels as though
the music flows along the cables like cool lava... Otherwise there's
only a problem if the Mini is running something else that hogs
processor/storage, which wouldn't arise in your case, or else my
neighbour uses the microwave. No stuttering otherwise, using a
bridged ethernet/Airport Extreme (g) connection.

Anyway, one of the later, faster PPC versions seems much easier than
re-jigging your whole set-up.....although even the cheaper of the new
Minis would probably work blast the bits out like a pyroclastic
flow.....

Geraint.

On 22 Apr 2009, at 16:58, JMG wrote:

>
> pippin;417386 Wrote:
>> How about a Mac Mini?
>> Nettop?
>
> A Mac Mini would be fine, perhaps used. I didn't know about Nettop
> computers. Will check that. I guess the faster, the better...
>
>
> --
> JMG
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> --
> JMG's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=11394
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=62627
>
>

abqpete
2009-04-22, 11:28
Mac Mini G4 are fine. I use a 1.5gHz version with 1GB ram and a 320GB drive running Leopard. iPeng supporting Transporter, Classic 3 and Boom runs just fine...

With Leopard, I just use Screen Sharing to control the Mini as it is headless (and keyboard-less and mouse-less).

Regards, Peter

cunobelinus@mac.com
2009-04-22, 13:10
Sorry - that should have been 1.42MHz, not 800MHz. Getting confused
with the eMac on which I used to run it (also without problems).

Geraint.

On 22 Apr 2009, at 18:12, cunobelinus (AT) mac (DOT) com wrote:

> Old Mac Minis are fine for SC, although I admit that the response to
> iPeng is slow on mine. I run it on an early-ish one one not much
> faster than your current G3 (the 800MHz version, to be precise),
> under OSX 10.4.11 and it can take 10 or 15 seconds for sound to
> reach the speakers after poking "play". Sometimes it feels as though
> the music flows along the cables like cool lava... Otherwise there's
> only a problem if the Mini is running something else that hogs
> processor/storage, which wouldn't arise in your case, or else my
> neighbour uses the microwave. No stuttering otherwise, using a
> bridged ethernet/Airport Extreme (g) connection.
>
> Anyway, one of the later, faster PPC versions seems much easier than
> re-jigging your whole set-up.....although even the cheaper of the new
> Minis would probably work blast the bits out like a pyroclastic
> flow.....
>
> Geraint.
>
> On 22 Apr 2009, at 16:58, JMG wrote:
>
>>
>> pippin;417386 Wrote:
>>> How about a Mac Mini?
>>> Nettop?
>>
>> A Mac Mini would be fine, perhaps used. I didn't know about Nettop
>> computers. Will check that. I guess the faster, the better...
>>
>>
>> --
>> JMG
>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>> -
>> --
>> JMG's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=11394
>> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?
>> t=62627
>>
>>

Duane Byram
2009-04-22, 13:22
> My old G3 (600 MHz PPC) is running out of steam and I think to buy a
> PC
> running Windows XP (2,5GHz Intel Core Duo 2) to replace it. I would
> loke to buy a Mac but a PC is about third the price and I intend to
> use
> it only as a music server. Anyone has experience switching their
> SqueezeCenter from OS X to Windows? My mini-LAN is OS X only (3
> computers including the server). Iím controlling the SC server from
> another computer via VNC - is is easy to control a Windows server from
> a Mac? Is transition from iTunes OS X to iTunes Windows simple?
>
> Thanks!
>
> JMG

Looks like others have responded to most of the other issues ... As
for transitioning your iTunes library from OSX to Windows it's a
pretty straight forward process.
- copy the entire "iTunes" folder from Mac to Windows (most likely
via your network, but even via a hard drive or thumb drive should work
as long as it's formatted in FAT32 so the Mac can write to it and
Windows can read from it).
- once it's copied to your Windows machine, rename the "iTunes
Library" file in your "iTunes" folder to "iTunes Library.itl" (iTunes
on Windows needs the extension, it works with or without it on the
Mac). The names of the other files don't matter, and the files
themselves will be re-created if needed.
- launch iTunes while holding down the "shift" key (the "option" key
on the Mac) and then click the "Choose Library ..." button.
- navigate to the location of your iTunes library, and select it for
your default iTunes Library (you won't need to re-do this step later).
- note: iTunes will go through a re-building step once the library is
opened. If your library is sizable this could take a while. But once
finished you should have all your playlists, music, etc. intact.

Good luck,
- duano!

iPhone
2009-04-22, 14:53
My old G3 (600 MHz PPC) is running out of steam and I think to buy a PC running Windows XP (2,5GHz Intel Core Duo 2) to replace it. I would loke to buy a Mac but a PC is about third the price and I intend to use it only as a music server. Anyone has experience switching their SqueezeCenter from OS X to Windows? My mini-LAN is OS X only (3 computers including the server). Iím controlling the SC server from another computer via VNC - is is easy to control a Windows server from a Mac? Is transition from iTunes OS X to iTunes Windows simple?

Thanks!

JMG

Pippin is right. I just bought a Mac Mini for $349 and they are on sale at Micro Center for $399 ( I had a $50 off Apple Rebate coupon).

Or you could buy the 1TB Vortexbox for $368 and run a Linux OS. If it were me, I would do anything not to run Windows Anything (XP or Vista).

Or build your own and download and install Vortexbox software or Ubuntu OS. Plenty of options to stay away from XP.

Goodsounds
2009-04-22, 18:07
A Mac Mini would be fine, perhaps used. I didn't know about Nettop computers. Will check that. I guess the faster, the better...

I think SC is pretty tolerant and not particularly demanding as an app. Other than your initial loadup and scanning, I don't think the processor and drive speeds really matter much (assuming your library is "normal" sized and you're not trying to run it on something with the processing power of a toaster oven, as some do). Since memory, drives, and microprocessors are so cheap, you can find a box with great capacity and performance for very little money, compared to what all of us spent on PCs not that long ago

I have an eee box with Win XP, and an external drive, and performance is excellent. It responds to commands immediately, and that along with scanning times are much faster than with the older PC I was using previously. I have no experience with Itunes.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the suggestions.

agillis
2009-04-22, 21:25
Yeah a Mac mini seems a bit of over kill just for SC. You could buy a 1TB VortexBox appliance and have more space for the same price.

iPhone
2009-04-22, 21:51
Yeah a Mac mini seems a bit of over kill just for SC. You could buy a 1TB VortexBox appliance and have more space for the same price.

True and good point, but he already knows Apple OSX so the Mac Mini is worth a look if he doesn't want a Linux OS. Only reason I was really suggesting it.

JMG
2009-04-23, 06:39
Thanks to all for the replies!

Maybe I should have mentionned that my collection is comprised of more than 3400 CD (50700 "songs") converted in Apple Lossless. (In fact, I have more CD to rip, but my 1Tb disk is full and I wait (or try to wait) until big, cheap SS disks become available (hopefully in 2010).) Search is slow, but acceptable. What is really slow is scan, especially covers...

SO the need for a faster computer. "Generic" (non-apple) seems the more cost-effective solution to me. I can have a microtower with 2.5 MHz Intel Core2 duo, ASUS motherboard, 2Gb memory, 320G HD, GeForce 7050 256mb, DVD burner, 5.1 HD surround sound (not that I need this), etc, etc., for about the price of a used Mac Mini G4... But friends tell me that I am bitterly going to regret taking the PC route, that Windows XP is a piece of **** that donít works half of the time, very difficult to set, etc. On the other hand, millions of people do real work on Windows, no? So it must work with a OK stability, isnít it? Of course, there is the Linux or dedicated music box (vortex) way. Just some thoughts...

JMG

Goodsounds
2009-04-23, 09:55
.. But friends tell me that I am bitterly going to regret taking the PC route, that Windows XP is a piece of **** that donít works half of the time, very difficult.....

This comment is pure BS. And, completely wrong.

agillis
2009-04-23, 09:56
JMG,

Windows runs fine. It's just a lot of overhead for a server. For a music collection that large I would recommend a PC based server running that spans over multiple 1 TB drives.

VortexBox has an installation option that automatically sets up drive spanning.

pfarrell
2009-04-23, 10:07
Goodsounds wrote:
> JMG;417663 Wrote:
>> .. But friends tell me that I am bitterly going to regret taking the PC
>> route, that Windows XP is a piece of **** that donít works half of the
>> time, very difficult.....
>
> This comment is pure BS. And, completely wrong.

Gotta agree with Goodsounds here.

JMG, get new friends.

If they were talking about Vista when it first came out, that position
would have had some merit. But about XP now? Not a chance.

I do believe that Linux is the best answer, but only if you have a
friend who uses it and can be bribed with a beer.

Pat
--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

iPhone
2009-04-23, 11:37
Thanks to all for the replies!

Maybe I should have mentionned that my collection is comprised of more than 3400 CD (50700 "songs") converted in Apple Lossless. (In fact, I have more CD to rip, but my 1Tb disk is full and I wait (or try to wait) until big, cheap SS disks become available (hopefully in 2010).) Search is slow, but acceptable. What is really slow is scan, especially covers...

SO the need for a faster computer. "Generic" (non-apple) seems the more cost-effective solution to me. I can have a microtower with 2.5 MHz Intel Core2 duo, ASUS motherboard, 2Gb memory, 320G HD, GeForce 7050 256mb, DVD burner, 5.1 HD surround sound (not that I need this), etc, etc., for about the price of a used Mac Mini G4... But friends tell me that I am bitterly going to regret taking the PC route, that Windows XP is a piece of **** that donít works half of the time, very difficult to set, etc. On the other hand, millions of people do real work on Windows, no? So it must work with a OK stability, isnít it? Of course, there is the Linux or dedicated music box (vortex) way. Just some thoughts...

JMG

Windows is not pure evil, it will just waste assets, have way more overhead, and if the server in on net be more open to viruses and attacks.

For that many CDs, I would build my own for sure with vortexbox or Ubuntu for the OS. I think you are still thinking PC not server. No need to pay for things that don't get used much or really don't matter for the application. One needs a good CPU, 2 GB RAM, a good NIC or good built in LAN, and just a simple onboard video, enough big drives, and one of the free OS (Ubuntu, Vortexbox, or other Linux). If it's a true dedicated music server, one doesn't need fancy video, sound, or other add-ons. Other then ripping (if one does that on their server), one can even go headless.

This is only my opinion and experience as I have a very large CD collection. I used a PC to start, then out grew two NAS boxes (ReadyNAS NV+ then Thecus N5200Pro), then built my own dedicated SC Server. All is now right with my music world, I could have saved time and lots of money just building the correct SC Server to start with. I use Ubuntu and my Mother, Sister, and Uncle are using old PCs that I put Vortexbox on.

Goodsounds
2009-04-23, 12:28
Windows is not pure evil, it will just waste assets, have way more overhead, and if the server in on net be more open to viruses and attacks.

Come, come, this really isn't a helpful comment. Windows will work just fine for his intended use. Or for any other intended use, just as would any operating system. If you don't like Windows, don't use it.

For that many CDs, I would build my own for sure with vortexbox or Ubuntu for the OS.

Again, for what percentage of the population do you think this is a helpful comment?

You seem to like to brag about your own exploits in your postings. Honestly, most people really don't care.