PDA

View Full Version : Onboard Sound

wholelottaled
2009-04-21, 04:48
Hi,

I am using Softsqueeze with squeezecenter at the moment and I hope to upgrade to a Squeezebox classic in the summer..I am currently using onboard sound from my pc..Realtek HD Audio on an Asus motherboard..running Vista 64Bit..I have a sound card that i didnt install in my new upgrade late last year..its this one:

http://support.creative.com/kb/ShowArticle.aspx?sid=53609

The question I have for you clever tech people out there is should I keep using my onboard sound when I get the Squeezebox classic or install my sound card?

many thanks
Peter

radish
2009-04-21, 05:56
Well it won't make the slightest bit of difference to the SB - so it depends on whether you want to keep using softsqueeze as well, as the new card may well sound better than the built-in for that purpose.

wholelottaled
2009-04-21, 06:24
ok thanks for the info..I intend too get an Amp with some speakers and a DacMagic later in the year as well..

agillis
2009-04-21, 06:51
The fancy Sound Blaster card will give you a little better analog sound then the Asus internal card. If you using S/PDIF then it dosn't make any difference.

The only reason I can see to get an SB is portability. You can locate it nearer to your stereo.

wholelottaled
2009-04-21, 07:57
So basically what you are all saying is: it doesnt matter what sound card my PC has as the quality will come from my SB when I put it through the Dacmagic and my Amp and speakers when I get them??

toby10
2009-04-21, 08:02
So basically what you are all saying is: it doesnt matter what sound card my PC has as the quality will come from my SB when I put it through the Dacmagic and my Amp and speakers when I get them??

Correct. This is one of the design philosophies of the SB players: don't mess with the audio file. If using SC then your music file is sent directly to your SB player (transcoding within SC on some files) and completely avoids your sound card.

wholelottaled
2009-04-21, 08:05
Thats good news thanks..