PDA

View Full Version : Experiences with Martian Netdrive Wireless?



2004-05-21, 08:17
I would be interested in people's experiences with the Martian Netdrive Wireless with a Squeezebox.

See http://www.ihavetohave.it/acatalog/Martian_NetDrive_Wireless.html

This is a UK reseller of this product but I can't seem to access the martian website at the moment.

I use a Squeezebox with a Mac with SlimServer set up to use iTunes and LAME.

The Martian Netdrive looks attractive as it claims to support SlimServer and iTunes integration. The attraction for me would be to leave the Netdrive switched on 24x7 and music wouldn't be affected if I switched off or rebooted my Mac.

What are people's experience with this - or any similar products?

thanks,

Michael Robinson

mherger
2004-05-21, 08:47
> I would be interested in people's experiences with the Martian Netdrive
> Wireless with a Squeezebox.
> See http://www.ihavetohave.it/acatalog/Martian_NetDrive_Wireless.html
>
> This is a UK reseller of this product but I can't seem to access the
> martian website at the moment.

I'd guess it's a small barebone with a harddisk and some flavour of linux
installed. You could probably build it for less if you have some basic
Linux knowledge. Those 350 do not seem really cheap...

[..]
> What are people's experience with this - or any similar products?

I don't know any pre-built product. But I've got one of those Shuttle
barebones with a low cost cpu (800MHz, 256MB) and am running SlimServer on
e-smith/SME Server (contribs.org). This is a stripped down RedHat
distribution which is optimised for soho server usage. It's easily
installed, managed and further stripped down (if you don't need mail/web
services) by a web interface. I'm very happy with it, having had one
single crash (hardware failure) in over two years.

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
http://www.jo-sac.ch/lindenberg - die JO des SAC Lindenberg
http://www.jo-sac.ch - JO-SAC inoffiziell!
http://photo.jo-sac.ch - mein kleines Photoalbum

dean
2004-05-21, 08:59
I don't believe that this company is producing or supporting this
product anymore.


On May 21, 2004, at 8:17 AM, <mikerob (AT) blueyonder (DOT) co.uk> wrote:

> I would be interested in people's experiences with the Martian
> Netdrive Wireless with a Squeezebox.
>
> See http://www.ihavetohave.it/acatalog/Martian_NetDrive_Wireless.html
>
> This is a UK reseller of this product but I can't seem to access the
> martian website at the moment.
>
> I use a Squeezebox with a Mac with SlimServer set up to use iTunes and
> LAME.
>
> The Martian Netdrive looks attractive as it claims to support
> SlimServer and iTunes integration. The attraction for me would be to
> leave the Netdrive switched on 24x7 and music wouldn't be affected if
> I switched off or rebooted my Mac.
>
> What are people's experience with this - or any similar products?
>
> thanks,
>
> Michael Robinson
>
>
>
>
>

Ron Thigpen
2004-05-21, 09:22
mikerob (AT) blueyonder (DOT) co.uk wrote:

> The attraction for me would be to leave the Netdrive switched on 24x7 and music wouldn't be affected if I switched off or rebooted my Mac.

This device looks to be a simple fileserver, not a network connected
computer. As such it would be incapable of hosting the slimserver
application. If that's the case, you would still need to leave the Mac
up to keep the music going.

--rt

alexd
2004-05-21, 09:32
On Fri, 2004-05-21 at 12:22 -0400, Ron Thigpen wrote:

> mikerob (AT) blueyonder (DOT) co.uk wrote:
>
> > The attraction for me would be to leave the Netdrive switched on 24x7
> > and music wouldn't be affected if I switched off or rebooted my Mac.
>
> This device looks to be a simple fileserver, not a network connected
> computer. As such it would be incapable of hosting the slimserver
> application. If that's the case, you would still need to leave the Mac
> up to keep the music going.

From the link:

"The Martian also runs Slim Server as standard which means that you can
use it as the centre of a Slim Devices SliMP3 or squeezebox multiroom
audio system without the need to leave your PC or Mac running 24x7."

alexd
--
http://ale.cx

Daniel Cohen
2004-05-21, 09:42
On 21/5/04 at 5:47 pm +0200, Michael Herger wrote
>
>>I would be interested in people's experiences with the Martian
>>Netdrive Wireless with a Squeezebox.
>>See http://www.ihavetohave.it/acatalog/Martian_NetDrive_Wireless.html
>>
>>This is a UK reseller of this product but I can't seem to access
>>the martian website at the moment.
>
>I'd guess it's a small barebone with a harddisk and some flavour of
>linux installed. You could probably build it for less if you have
>some basic Linux knowledge. Those 350 do not seem really cheap...

I have seen one or two reviews (can't recall where - I probably
Googled for them) that weren't very good.
--
Daniel Cohen

jacobdp
2004-05-21, 18:53
On Fri, 21 May 2004 17:47:01 +0200, Michael Herger <mherger (AT) jo-sac (DOT) ch> wrote:
> I'd guess it's a small barebone with a harddisk and some flavour of linux
> installed. You could probably build it for less if you have some basic
> Linux knowledge. Those 350 do not seem really cheap...

I saw somewhere that it's just a VIA Mini-ITX barebones box with a big
hard drive and a minimal Linux installation.

- Jacob