PDA

View Full Version : How to combine Wifi and ethernet? (Frustrated)

cybervision_
2009-04-19, 05:21
So, I am running a PC with SC on it connected to a router feeding Duet with music wirelessly. I get internet from my neighbours (I have permission to do so) wirelessly. The ethernet connection going to the router is set with static IP. If I use DHCP it won't work. I have a WiFi PCI-card in my PC and I want to be able to listen to music AND to connect to the internet at the same time, but when I activate the wireless connection the Duet loses it's signal.

I also have to set Wifi to DHCP to be able to connect to the wireless signal from mye neighbour.

How can I set things up so that I can get my music to the SB via the router AND have internet on the PC at the same time?

aubuti
2009-04-19, 05:51
It would really help if you provided more information, such as what OS you are running and how the two networks are configured. Most of all, is your pc connected to your router via ethernet? If so, it should be possible to have the pc's ethernet adapter connected to your LAN and your pc's wifi connected to your neighbor's LAN. But specific steps for this will depend on your OS.

If you could connect the SBR to your router via ethernet that should simplify things even more.

cybervision_
2009-04-19, 06:00
It would really help if you provided more information, such as what OS you are running and how the two networks are configured. Most of all, is your pc connected to your router via ethernet? If so, it should be possible to have the pc's ethernet adapter connected to your LAN and your pc's wifi connected to your neighbor's LAN. But specific steps for this will depend on your OS.

If you could connect the SBR to your router via ethernet that should simplify things even more.

I am running Win XP.
The ethernet connection is set to static ip connected to the router which transmits to duet. If DHCP it won't connect.
WiFi is deactivated, but I have wireless internet coming from my neighbour, but the Wifi needs to be set to DHCP, otherwise it won't connect. If I do both at the same time the Wifi works, ethernet doesn't.

aubuti
2009-04-19, 06:07
What network segments are you and your neighbor using? If you're both using the same segment (eg, 192.168.0.*) that could be a problem.

cybervision_
2009-04-19, 06:11
How can I see which he is using?

I have the ethernet set to 192.168.0.115 static, the router 192.168.0.1

bobkoure
2009-04-19, 07:09
How about restating your setup a bit like this:
my router <-ethernet-> PC running SC
my router <-wireless-> duet
neighbor's router <-wireless-> PC running SC

It sounds like you indeed have an address range confilct, but I find I can read your descriptions a couple of ways...

cybervision_
2009-04-19, 07:14
How about restating your setup a bit like this:
my router <-ethernet-> PC running SC
my router <-wireless-> duet
neighbor's router <-wireless-> PC running SC

It sounds like you indeed have an address range confilct, but I find I can read your descriptions a couple of ways...

That is how it is today.

aubuti
2009-04-19, 08:39
How can I see which he is using?

I have the ethernet set to 192.168.0.115 static, the router 192.168.0.1
Along the lines of bobkoure's suggestion, it also helps to know what the IP addrs are for each device (pc ethernet, pc wifi, SBR, SBC, your router, neighbor's router). You can find at least the first 3 numbers for your neighbor's router by looking at your wifi IP when you connect to his/her network.

amcluesent
2009-04-19, 10:28
What a mess.

I suspect having a router on the wired NIC and the neighbour's router on the wi-fi is problem as both will be advertising themselves as default routes to your PC for the 192.168.0.xxx network.

Windows XP is likely giving a better interface metric to the wired NIC, which goes no-where.

I'd start by disabling wi-fi on the PC, then try setting your router to offer DHCP in the 192.168.2.xxx range and see of you can get music streaming working.

Enable wi-fi and manually force the interface metric on the wi-fi card to be better than the NIC and/or force the default gateway to be the wi-fi NIC.

JJZolx
2009-04-19, 11:27
This would be easy to do with a second wireless router and then you could lose the wireless card in the PC.

neighbor ~~~ router1 --- router2 ~~~ Squeezebox
--- PC
~~~ wireless
--- wired

Easiest way to do this would use router2 as a non-routing wireless access point, which gives you just two subnets to deal with.

Configure router1 as both a DHCP client and a DHCP server.
Note your neighbor's subnet addressing. Let's say it's 192.168.1/255.255.255.0. You'll be able to tell by the WAN address and subnet mask that are assigned to router1.
Choose a separate subnet for your own network, such as 192.168.5/255.255.255.0.
Assign 192.168.5.1 as the IP address for the LAN (not WAN) side of router1.
Configure the DHCP server on router1 with a pool of addresses such as 192.168.5.10 - 192.168.5.30.
Connect router2 using wired ethernet from one of its _LAN_ ports to a LAN port on router1.
Assign a static IP address of 192.168.5.2 to router2.
Disable both the DHCP client and DHCP server on router2 (very important).
Make sure wireless on router2 is enabled and set up your security and password.
Connect wireless devices such as the Squeezebox to router2's wireless, using the password you've set.
Plug any wired devices, such as the PC in to router2's LAN ports. The WAN port of router2 will be unused.

Additionally, if the PC is going to act as a SqueezeCenter server then I'd also assign it a static IP address on your lan - say 192.168.5.3.

If you can determine which channel your neighbor's wireless network is running on then configure your own wireless network to use a channel as far from it as possible.

cybervision_
2009-04-19, 12:15
This would be easy to do with a second wireless router and then you could lose the wireless card in the PC.

neighbor ~~~ router1 --- router2 ~~~ Squeezebox
--- PC
~~~ wireless
--- wired

Easiest way to do this would use router2 as a non-routing wireless access point, which gives you just two subnets to deal with.

Configure router1 as both a DHCP client and a DHCP server.
Note your neighbor's subnet addressing. Let's say it's 192.168.1/255.255.255.0. You'll be able to tell by the WAN address and subnet mask that are assigned to router1.
Choose a separate subnet for your own network, such as 192.168.5/255.255.255.0.
Assign 192.168.5.1 as the IP address for the LAN (not WAN) side of router1.
Configure the DHCP server on router1 with a pool of addresses such as 192.168.5.10 - 192.168.5.30.
Connect router2 using wired ethernet from one of its _LAN_ ports to a LAN port on router1.
Assign a static IP address of 192.168.5.2 to router2.
Disable both the DHCP client and DHCP server on router2 (very important).
Make sure wireless on router2 is enabled and set up your security and password.
Connect wireless devices such as the Squeezebox to router2's wireless, using the password you've set.
Plug any wired devices, such as the PC in to router2's LAN ports. The WAN port of router2 will be unused.

Additionally, if the PC is going to act as a SqueezeCenter server then I'd also assign it a static IP address on your lan - say 192.168.5.3.

If you can determine which channel your neighbor's wireless network is running on then configure your own wireless network to use a channel as far from it as possible.

Thank you, I will try to make that work. I really appreciate you guys taking the time to help.

bobkoure
2009-04-19, 12:28
Can the router you have do bridging? If it can, you can set up a single link between it and your neighbor's router (treat it like an outside connection (AKA 'WAN') and then just setup your network in the typical "star" configuration around your own router. (which means you can ditch the wireless connection between your router and your SC PC - one wired connection will be plenty.)
Address conflicts won't matter, so long as you're not trying to a access a PC in your neighbor's network - just going onward to the internet.

I did this a couple of years back with a pair of WRT54GL routers and DD-WRT (which is no longer under development but download-able). Anyone know if you can do the same thing with Tomato?

cybervision_
2009-04-19, 13:32
I've ordered another router - it was pretty cheap so no worries.

cybervision_
2009-04-21, 07:30
Ok, so now I have a new router - a D-link DIR-301. How do I set it up to connect to my wireless internet feed? I can't locate the settings anywhere?

aubuti
2009-04-21, 10:07
Not trying to be unhelpful, but have you looked in the router's manual? See: ftp://ftp.dlink.se/Products/dkt-products/dkt-110/Documentation/DIR-301_Manual_English.pdf

cybervision_
2009-04-21, 10:29
Yes, I have, for hours now, and I just can't figure out how to make it happen. What I want is for it to connect to the wifi-internet transmitted by my neighbours router and pass it along in the manner described by the gentleman on the bottom of page 1.

toby10
2009-04-21, 11:28
Yes, I have, for hours now, and I just can't figure out how to make it happen. What I want is for it to connect to the wifi-internet transmitted by my neighbours router and pass it along in the manner described by the gentleman on the bottom of page 1.

So your desired setup is:
neighbors internet > *wired* > neighbors router > *WiFi* > your router > *WiFi* > your SB
I presume your computer will be *wired* to your router
Is the above correct??

Without you having access to ADMIN functions on your neighbors router, your options may be quite limited.

aubuti
2009-04-21, 12:07
How far did you get with the instructions described in that post? Did you get part way through it, or stumped at the first step? It's hard to give a constructive response to a question as vague as "How do I set it up to connect to my wireless internet feed?". You haven't even said whether the D-Link is router 1 or router 2 (or if you have two identical routers).

Note that setting up the DHCP server on the D-Link is on p. 27 of the manual.

cybervision_
2009-04-21, 13:38
* Configure router1 as both a DHCP client and a DHCP server. CHECK
* Note your neighbor's subnet addressing. Let's say it's 192.168.1/255.255.255.0. You'll be able to tell by the WAN address and subnet mask that are assigned to router1.STOPPED HERE!
* Choose a separate subnet for your own network, such as 192.168.5/255.255.255.0.
* Assign 192.168.5.1 as the IP address for the LAN (not WAN) side of router1.
* Configure the DHCP server on router1 with a pool of addresses such as 192.168.5.10 - 192.168.5.30.
* Connect router2 using wired ethernet from one of its _LAN_ ports to a LAN port on router1.
* Assign a static IP address of 192.168.5.2 to router2.
* Disable both the DHCP client and DHCP server on router2 (very important).
* Make sure wireless on router2 is enabled and set up your security and password.
* Connect wireless devices such as the Squeezebox to router2's wireless, using the password you've set.
* Plug any wired devices, such as the PC in to router2's LAN ports. The WAN port of router2 will be unused.

I stopped at #2 I think. I activated DHCP, but I really don't understand what settings to set og where to look for my neighbours subnet adressing.

cybervision_
2009-04-21, 13:39
So your desired setup is:
neighbors internet > *wired* > neighbors router > *WiFi* > your router > *WiFi* > your SB
I presume your computer will be *wired* to your router
Is the above correct??

Without you having access to ADMIN functions on your neighbors router, your options may be quite limited.

Neigbours internet ---- His Router ~~~~~ My Router #1 ------ My router #2 ---- My PC

And wirelessly from router #2 to the SB Duet.

cybervision_
2009-04-22, 10:44
How on earth do I set up router1 to access my wireless network, where do I enter the name of the network and the network password?

Do I set it up as access point?

aubuti
2009-04-22, 12:11
How on earth do I set up router1 to access my wireless network, where do I enter the name of the network and the network password?
Re your neighbor's subnet addressing, you should be able to get that by looking at the first three digits of the IP address on your computer when you connect wirelessly to his/her router. You can do this via the "ipconfig" command in a Windows Command Prompt (aka DOS) window. Or you can ask your neighbor.

Your wireless network will be running off of router2. You connect router1 to the wireless network by wiring it to router2, using the LAN ports, not the WAN ports, as described in Jim's instructions:

* Choose a separate subnet for your own network, such as 192.168.5/255.255.255.0.
* Assign 192.168.5.1 as the IP address for the LAN (not WAN) side of router1.
* Configure the DHCP server on router1 with a pool of addresses such as 192.168.5.10 - 192.168.5.30.
* Connect router2 using wired ethernet from one of its _LAN_ ports to a LAN port on router1.
* Assign a static IP address of 192.168.5.2 to router2.

cybervision_
2009-04-22, 12:30
But where do I enter SSID and Password?

cybervision_
2009-04-22, 13:27
This ain't working. I will stop monitoring this thread now.

aubuti
2009-04-23, 12:03
But where do I enter SSID and Password?
The connection from router1 to router2 is *wired* and therefore doesn't have an SSID or password.

This ain't working. I will stop monitoring this thread now.
Yeah, it seems you've hit the wall on this, although you could presumably try to find someone local who could come in and set it up for you, probably for a fee.