PDA

View Full Version : PDA controller solution

Pages : [1] 2

Locuth
2009-04-17, 07:54
Hello guys
This is only my second post in this forum - so warm greetings to everyone.

I have developed a little software to controll clients in a Squeeze network via PDA.

Check out the homepage:
http://www.sciatec.de/SlimControl

And drop me a line in this thread if you are having any troubles or ideas.

Cheers,
Sebastian

pippin
2009-04-17, 08:40
Hello guys
This is only my second post in this forum - so warm greetings to everyone.

I have developed a little software to controll clients in a Squeeze network via PDA.

Please see my full post.
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=61840

If this is considered a double post - I am very sorry. Move or remove it as neccessary.

Cheers,
Sebastian
Do you have screenshots?

Locuth
2009-04-17, 09:00
See here.
http://www.sciatec.de/SlimControl/

Sebastian

pippin
2009-04-17, 12:46
Really Cool!

autopilot
2009-04-17, 14:39
Very nice work there :)

Locuth
2009-04-17, 17:40
Have you tried to install it?
I would love to gather some information about device & OS compatibility.

And, hey - I just found out about the attachment feature.
So here's a screenshot.

Stoker
2009-04-30, 00:40
Hi Locuth

I installed SlimControl last night on a HTC Touch Pro. The Touch Pro is a mobile phone/PDA that runs Windows Mobile 6.1 professional and has a 480x640 screen.

First impressions are that SlimControl is a nice well written application, it's good to look at, seems stable and is much more responsive than using a web-browser.

I was unable to browse my library from SlimControl but that's (I think) because I haven't registered it yet (I've sent the email).

I had a few connection issues, I think due to the my phone trying to use GSM instead of WiFi to connect to the server. Once I turned the phone part off then I was able to connect to my SquezeCenter and everything seemed to work properly. SlimControl had no problems with the operating system or the higher screen resolution of the Touch Pro.

Thanks making this available, it's a very nice app.

Locuth
2009-04-30, 03:02
Hi Locuth

I installed SlimControl last night on a HTC Touch Pro. The Touch Pro is a mobile phone/PDA that runs Windows Mobile 6.1 professional and has a 480x640 screen.

First impressions are that SlimControl is a nice well written application, it's good to look at, seems stable and is much more responsive than using a web-browser.

I was unable to browse my library from SlimControl but that's (I think) because I haven't registered it yet (I've sent the email).

I had a few connection issues, I think due to the my phone trying to use GSM instead of WiFi to connect to the server. Once I turned the phone part off then I was able to connect to my SquezeCenter and everything seemed to work properly. SlimControl had no problems with the operating system or the higher screen resolution of the Touch Pro.

Thanks making this available, it's a very nice app.

Great that you like it.
I put you GSM-connection issue on my list.

Cheers

KMorgan
2009-04-30, 09:34
Sebastian

I've just loaded SlimControl onto my hp4150. Haven't had the chance to try it out at home yet. Just one Q though. Is it possible to get SlimControl on to the Today screen? I have a couple of other regularly used progs that can be set to be on Today, but I don't see that it's possible with SlimC.

Thanks

Keith

Locuth
2009-04-30, 09:43
Sebastian

I've just loaded SlimControl onto my hp4150. Haven't had the chance to try it out at home yet. Just one Q though. Is it possible to get SlimControl on to the Today screen? I have a couple of other regularly used progs that can be set to be on Today, but I don't see that it's possible with SlimC.

Thanks

Keith

Of course it is :-)
I put it on my list.

And of course I am inviting you to leave any feedback or problems in this thread.

Cheers,
Sebastian

NikolajC
2009-04-30, 11:30
Hi Sebastian,

Thanks for sending me the registration. Great service.

I have tried it on my IPAQ 6815 and it seems to work great. I really like the browser implementation with the search feature.

I have another IPAQ4700 I'd like to use too, but it wont charge for some reason :)

All in all a nice app, that already works great for controlling my squeezeboxes. A few suggestions though:

1. Any plans to implement internet radio?
2. I think the GUI could provide some more feedback. Buttons could highlight when you press them etc.
3. When I turn on my device the WIFI takes a few seconds to connect. It would be nice if the <> connection icon reflects that there are no server connection until this point.
4. Would be nice to have access to favorites too.
5. I seems the playlist only shows the remaining songs. I think it should show all in the current playlist.
6. The artist album cover flow looks nice - but I can't seem to do anything with it just yet right?

Again these are just suggestions - it's already something I would pay for!

//Nikolaj

Locuth
2009-04-30, 15:23
1. Any plans to implement internet radio?
//Nikolaj

Probably not in the near future, as Squeezenetwork requires an altogether different technique.

2. I think the GUI could provide some more feedback. Buttons could highlight when you press them etc.
//Nikolaj

I figured the 'click' sound would provide feedback enough but I am considering it in future releases.

3. When I turn on my device the WIFI takes a few seconds to connect. It would be nice if the <> connection icon reflects that there are no server connection until this point.
//Nikolaj

I will try to optimize the visual feedback during connection.
But maybe you could elaborate in more detail on what you'd expect to be displayed during the connection process.
The connection icon is meant to turn green, as soon as the server (SS) responds. But I will have to double-check.

4. Would be nice to have access to favorites too.
//Nikolaj
Yes, that would be nice - as well as accessing your own playlists.
I'll put it on my list.

5. I seems the playlist only shows the remaining songs. I think it should show all in the current playlist.
//Nikolaj
That could be argued. I am limiting the playlist to 200 tracks and you would eventually not see the current track anymore.
Maybe having the previous 10 tracks or so would help navigation.

6. The artist album cover flow looks nice - but I can't seem to do anything with it just yet right?
//Nikolaj
Given you activated the 'show artist' option in the seetings:
It shows & allows you to browse all the current artist's albums. There is ONE user interaction: tap&hold an album to play it. The current playlist will be lost.

Again these are just suggestions - it's already something I would pay for!
//Nikolaj
Good :-)

//Nikolaj[/QUOTE]

Runes
2009-04-30, 18:45
Sebastian,
Awesome software. I'm using my smartphone, an HTC Titan running WM 6.1. Some feedback:
a) I generally have my slimserver set to use password authentication, since I want to use my Boom to access the server from outside the local network. Not the best security, but better than nothing, I suppose. This doesn't work with the software. Not that big an issue, but sure would be a nice-to-have.
b) Using the Wi-Fi on the phone, software works really well.
c) Turning off the Wi-Fi and attempting to use the phones over-the-air data connection, not so much. I've tried pointing it to both the IP address of my server, as well as the fully qualified domain name. I can point a browser to server:9000 and hit the server, but for some reason the software just won't connect. Probably the same issue as the gentleman with the HTC Touch Pro.

Locuth
2009-04-30, 19:10
Sebastian,
Awesome software. I'm using my smartphone, an HTC Titan running WM 6.1. Some feedback:
a) I generally have my slimserver set to use password authentication, since I want to use my Boom to access the server from outside the local network. Not the best security, but better than nothing, I suppose. This doesn't work with the software. Not that big an issue, but sure would be a nice-to-have.
b) Using the Wi-Fi on the phone, software works really well.
c) Turning off the Wi-Fi and attempting to use the phones over-the-air data connection, not so much. I've tried pointing it to both the IP address of my server, as well as the fully qualified domain name. I can point a browser to server:9000 and hit the server, but for some reason the software just won't connect. Probably the same issue as the gentleman with the HTC Touch Pro.

Hi Runes

I will implement server authentification in the next release.

SlimControl needs to be able to connect to port 9090. I know little about connecting via GSM or what you call 'over-the-air' (?).
If you fill me in, I will most certainly look into it.

Great to have you join our little community :-)
Keep in touch.

Sebastian

WDB
2009-05-01, 19:47
I just got the reg # and I am trying this out, so far it works great on my HP IPAQ 2215. Nice work!

lrossouw
2009-05-01, 21:20
Screen size is wrong i suspect but it ran. Let me know when you support the Omnia screen.
Louis

toby10
2009-05-02, 03:29
Probably not in the near future, as Squeezenetwork requires an altogether different technique......

It is not capable of Internet Radio control at all? Or is it just SN that it won't work with? i.e. Will it function as expected using SC7 for Internet Radio and Music Services?

KMorgan
2009-05-02, 07:02
Sebastian

Very nice. Could you perhaps map some functions to the hard buttons? e.g. when controlling volume I find I automatically press the up/down cursor keys. Likewise, left/right on the hard keys for menu navigation would be useful.

Keith

p.s. just found that the album art can be reversed. Useless but interesting!! ;-)

Zoo56
2009-05-02, 08:16
I had some troubles to install this application (had to use the cab file directly on the device, because I couldn't install it with my Vista PC in combination with the Windows Mobile Device Center).

It's now working fine on my Ipaq 4700. This is exactly what I was looking for for quite some time now so I'm very pleased. I can see that there are functions to search for Genres, Albums and Artists, but is there also a function to search for songs?

I ran into one problem after the application was running for a couple of hours : Out of memory (I don't know the exact message, but it was something like that).

For now I'm very pleased with the application so thanks and keep up the good work!

NikolajC
2009-05-02, 09:12
Probably not in the near future, as Squeezenetwork requires an altogether different technique.

Like others state too: Internet radio and music services is a standard feature of Squeezecenter - not just Squeezenetwork.

I figured the 'click' sound would provide feedback enough but I am considering it in future releases.

Thanks - I don't have the click for some reason, but it's probably my device that is acting up again.

I will try to optimize the visual feedback during connection.
But maybe you could elaborate in more detail on what you'd expect to be displayed during the connection process.
The connection icon is meant to turn green, as soon as the server (SS) responds. But I will have to double-check.

The little icon in the top right move together during server connection when I just open the app. If i however turn my phone off and then on, wifi needs to be renegotiated and the icon just stays in the "connected" state. A bit confusing cause I don't know when it's ready to accept commands.

Yes, that would be nice - as well as accessing your own playlists.
I'll put it on my list.

Kewl thanks.

That could be argued. I am limiting the playlist to 200 tracks and you would eventually not see the current track anymore.
Maybe having the previous 10 tracks or so would help navigation.

Trouble is if I move the currently playing song down in the playlist and close and reopen the playlist window, all previous songs are no longer shown. Doesn't seem logical to me, since I'd like to keep working on the playlist. I say make it an option to always show all songs. I never use very long playlists anyway, and I suspect others don't too.

Given you activated the 'show artist' option in the settings:
It shows & allows you to browse all the current artist's albums. There is ONE user interaction: tap&hold an album to play it. The current playlist will be lost.

Excellent feature thanks. Consider expanding it to include a full coverflow browser - not just for one artist if possible. Thanks again for a nice app.

Locuth
2009-05-02, 09:34
Screen size is wrong i suspect but it ran. Let me know when you support the Omnia screen.
Louis

Yes - the software was designed for 240x320 screens.
It appears to run fine on higher resolutions but
I AM YET WAITING for a SCREEN SHOT from any of my appreciated users :-)

So I cannot even tell what it looks like on other resolutions.
What is yours ?

Locuth
2009-05-02, 09:37
It is not capable of Internet Radio control at all? Or is it just SN that it won't work with? i.e. Will it function as expected using SC7 for Internet Radio and Music Services?

It is not capable of running internet radio of any kind, as it can not connect to the SqueezeNetwork.
I have yet to look into SqueezeServer-driven radio features.
If you can point me in the right direction - feel free.

Sebastian

Locuth
2009-05-02, 09:39
Sebastian
Very nice. Could you perhaps map some functions to the hard buttons? e.g. when controlling volume I find I automatically press the up/down cursor keys. Likewise, left/right on the hard keys for menu navigation would be useful.

Keith - hardware button support is on my list, as is the scrollwheel.
Thanks for the feedback.

Locuth
2009-05-02, 09:46
I had some troubles to install this application (had to use the cab file directly on the device, because I couldn't install it with my Vista PC in combination with the Windows Mobile Device Center).

Windows Mobile Device Center is sort of incomplete in early Vista editions.
If you install all due service packs the installation should work

..., but is there also a function to search for songs?

No, not yet. There will be a search for single songs in upcoming releases.
Probably only by string-search, rather than scrolling through enormous lists.

What would be your favourite song-search feature?

I ran into one problem after the application was running for a couple of hours : Out of memory (I don't know the exact message, but it was something like that).
good work!

Darn - that is not good.

pippin
2009-05-02, 09:59
It is not capable of running internet radio of any kind, as it can not connect to the SqueezeNetwork.
I have yet to look into SqueezeServer-driven radio features.
If you can point me in the right direction - feel free.

Wait a moment. You don't need SN for radio support, you only need SN to run without a server.

Radio (and Music Services) support is documented in the CLI documentation, und er XMLBrowser commands. (I think the base commands are "radios" and "music_services")

Locuth
2009-05-02, 10:04
Like others state too: Internet radio and music services is a standard feature of Squeezecenter - not just Squeezenetwork.

Excellent feature thanks. Consider expanding it to include a full coverflow browser - not just for one artist if possible. Thanks again for a nice app.

I took a note of all your remarks Nikolaj.
As to the full "Cover flow" - I am afraid that is not feasible at this time.

Lets say you have 1000 albums and ~20KB per image (jpeg) That makes 20MB of image data. NOT AN OPTION.

Downloading one cover takes approx 100-1000 milliseconds.
Downloading 1000 covers on startup: NOT AN OPTION, not even if it loads them in the background, for it would slow down the application.

If you have any good ideas - let me know!

Cheers
Sebastian

fast eddie
2009-05-02, 13:15
I have just installed this on my HP 4700iPAQ and sent an email to register.

I cant seem to get it to connect to the server. I get the error message "Unable to connect: Host not found"

I am currently using the hand held skin via IE to control my SB3 so I know that the pda works and can connect to the server.

Any ideas why it is giving the error when I try to run this? Is it because I haven't had the registration key yet?

Thanks for any help,

Graham

Locuth
2009-05-02, 13:22
Wait a moment. You don't need SN for radio support, you only need SN to run without a server.

Radio (and Music Services) support is documented in the CLI documentation, und er XMLBrowser commands. (I think the base commands are "radios" and "music_services")

Yes - I began to realize that after the 3rd post telling me so ;-)
Given the long list of requests and issues I wonder if I'll ever have time to look into the CLI documentation again...

Thanks pippin.

toby10
2009-05-02, 13:31
Wait a moment. You don't need SN for radio support, you only need SN to run without a server......

Yeah, that was my understanding (though I don't write software). I'd guess any "app" that can navigate SC7 menu items like Music Folder or Favorites could be written to navigate the SC7 Internet Radio menu's & sub-menu's. SC7 does all of the functionality.

SC7 can do some Internet Radio without even a SN account associated with that instance of SC7. SN is used in the background of SC7 for some Internet Radio functions, and is certainly needed for Music Services.

Unfortunately, not having access to Internet Radio or Music Services is discarding half of SC7's functionality and popularity, IMHO. :)

pippin
2009-05-02, 14:01
Yeah, that was my understanding (though I don't write software). I'd guess any "app" that can navigate SC7 menu items like Music Folder or Favorites could be written to navigate the SC7 Internet Radio menu's & sub-menu's. SC7 does all of the functionality.

Yes and no.
I'm not sure, but iPeng is the only App besides the Controller and Squeezeplay that I'm aware of that uses the SqueezePlay menu items.
All others (including iPeng for non-Plugin stuff) use the database queries SC offers (they offer better functionality and performance and BTW, they are documented).

If you go that route (database queries), the Radios are different since they provide OPML based menu structures. But if you've got Favorites, that's the same.

Locuth
2009-05-02, 14:07
I have just installed this on my HP 4700iPAQ and sent an email to register.

I cant seem to get it to connect to the server. I get the error message "Unable to connect: Host not found"

I am currently using the hand held skin via IE to control my SB3 so I know that the pda works and can connect to the server.

Any ideas why it is giving the error when I try to run this? Is it because I haven't had the registration key yet?
Graham

Graham, you do not need the key to connect to the server.
The error message you are receiving indicates: The server IP is incorrect or not reachable.

1. Double-check that you entered the correct IP addres in the "Settings" dialog.
2. The Port 9090 must be open. If you are using a router, port 9090 must be forwarded to the PC running SqueezeCenter

toby10
2009-05-02, 14:49
Yes and no.
I'm not sure, but iPeng is the only App besides the Controller and Squeezeplay that I'm aware of that uses the SqueezePlay menu items.
All others (including iPeng for non-Plugin stuff) use the database queries SC offers (they offer better functionality and performance and BTW, they are documented).

If you go that route (database queries), the Radios are different since they provide OPML based menu structures. But if you've got Favorites, that's the same.

And now you know why I don't write software/apps. :)

I keep poking in on your iPeng app forum on here, but I do not own an iPhone nor iTouch so I'm wary of buying such an item for (probable) exclusive use with SC7.

That's why I was interested in Locuth's nice looking app for PDA usage (which I do own and use). But lacking SC7 Internet Radio & Music Service access is a deal breaker for me. :(

amey01
2009-05-02, 19:16
Just installed it today on an old iPAQ - works really well - very responsive and easy to use.

I agree with the suggestions put forth, however I didn't see one that would also be good - that is, access to the "New Music" playlist.

Also, internet radio shouldn't require access to SqueezeNetwork - it is accessible through the server.

Congratulations - great app!

fast eddie
2009-05-03, 01:01
Graham, you do not need the key to connect to the server.
The error message you are receiving indicates: The server IP is incorrect or not reachable.

1. Double-check that you entered the correct IP addres in the "Settings" dialog.
2. The Port 9090 must be open. If you are using a router, port 9090 must be forwarded to the PC running SqueezeCenter

Should the ip address be just x.x.x.x or http://x.x.x.x:9090

I have forwarded port 9090 to my server ip address

still cant get it to work - doh

Locuth
2009-05-03, 13:27
Should the ip address be just x.x.x.x or http://x.x.x.x:9090

Enter only the IP address in the settings. Like "192.168.1.22"

jw111
2009-05-04, 06:04
I have been waiting for an application like this for the Squeezebox.

There are a few minor problems on my Touch Pro.

1. I have a player called "Family Room" The name displays in Slimcontrol as "Family%20Room"

2. Fairly often, if my phone switches to another application such as when I get a phone call, and Slimcontrol is still running, then when I switch back to SlimControl the display is garbled, with bits of the other application's screen or of my Touchflo3d wallpaper showing.

Off the top of my head, here are some other features I would like to see:

1. actual times shown on Elapsed time indicator.

2. 640 x 480 display.

3. Support for d-pad and scroll wheel functionality of Touch Pro.

4. Ability to scroll fast through lists or artists, albums, or songs. Scroll wheel support would help here.

5. Support for internet radio so I could use this in my car.

6. Anything else the Duet does.

This program is very useful to me already in it s current form.

Locuth
2009-05-04, 06:22
jw111 -

Most of your issues will be fixed in upcoming releases.
Including radio & Player%20Name,
scrollwheel & tracktime (probably)

I am not sure yet whether I will support proprietary hardware features like the HTC pad. Although most of the users are actually HTC owners.

I would love to have s screenshot of both the normal and the garbled display on your 480x640 display, so I can attemtp to fix it.
My PDA is 240x320 only.

Thanks for your feedback

Spin
2009-05-04, 08:40
Hi Sebastian

Great app ! Looks very professional - really nice buttons.

I have a Loox 720 PDA which has a VGA (640X480)screen and your app works perfectly. Nice hi-res covers !

As some have mentioned already it would be nice to either search for artists or be able to fast forward through the list. If you have a huge library (I have !) it takes a while to find things using the 'abc' type buttons.

Thanks for an excellent program and I hope you have time to develop it !

Steve

KMorgan
2009-05-04, 11:21
Have you noticed that if you give an up or down stroke to the album cover it flips over?

Keith

fast eddie
2009-05-06, 02:31
Enter only the IP address in the settings. Like "192.168.1.22"

Still getting an error message when I press the test button - "Access denied".

Is this because my server, running Clark Connect, needs a password from the application before it will allow it to connect? If so I don't see anywhere I can input a user name and password.

Thanks for your help cos I would like to get this working.

Cheers,

Graham

Stoker
2009-05-06, 04:58
Locuth

I'd be happy to send a couple of screen shots from my HTC Touch Pro, but other than using a camera and photographing the device does anyone know how to grab a screen shot in Windows Mobile 6?

By the way on my device which has a screen resolution of 480x640 it looks exactly the same as the screen shots you already posted when its drawn properly.

Cheers

Stoker
2009-05-06, 05:06
Locuth

I'm not sure if it's user error or a bug, but if I search for an album and try to play the whole album then SlimControl seems to sort the tracks into alphabetic order instead of playing them in the origonal album order.

I'm pretty sure my tags are OK since if I play an album from the regular remote control then it plays in the correct order.

Great App, I love the simplicity and ease of use.
--Ian

Locuth
2009-05-06, 14:08
Locuth

I'm not sure if it's user error or a bug, but if I search for an album and try to play the whole album then SlimControl seems to sort the tracks into alphabetic order instead of playing them in the origonal album order.

I'm pretty sure my tags are OK since if I play an album from the regular remote control then it plays in the correct order.

Great App, I love the simplicity and ease of use.
--Ian

Stoker -
You are right, I have yet paid no attention to the sort order of tracks. Probably alphabetically by default...

I will have them sorted by track index in the next release. Bear with me:-)

As to the screenshots:
This fine girl has mailed a screenshot, maybe she'll let us or you know how she did it.
-> sue_dot_chastain_at_gmail_dot_com
I'll ask to her to post it in this thread.

I would very much appreciate having more screenshots, especially from 640x400 devices.

Stoker
2009-05-06, 14:36
Hi Locuth

I grabbed a freeware program called "Screen Capture" which can be found at http://www.iliumsoft.com/site/fp/screen_capture.php and gabbed these screen shots. If you'd like to see any particular screen, let me know:

Stoker
2009-05-06, 14:42
Further to my previous post It appears that the alphebetical issue only affects the screen in SlimControl. In the attached picture you can see I've selected "Wish You Were Here" and the tracks are listed in alphabetical order. If I hit the green play button the album plays in the correct order.

elziko
2009-05-07, 02:14
Thanks for this little application - it's a great idea.

I can't really use it fully until it can connect to a SqueezeCenter with password protection but I have tried it quickly and here are a couple of things I have noticed:

1) If you change the server address this isn't honored until the application is restarted but the user isn't given any notification of this.

2) Lack of authentication support - but I gather you already know that.

3) Appearance on a VGA screen - they layout for the most (see below) seems OK but quality is poor since the screen is obviously being resized to fit the bigger area leading to a pixilated look.

4) When listing all the players I have the list gets cut-off. See attached image.

But on the whole it seems to work OK - if it could also behave as a player that would be great but I'm sure that unlikely to happen!

I look forward to testing some more when authentication is included.

Thanks!

MeSue
2009-05-07, 08:06
Sebastian asked me to post here to tell you all how I got a screen shot from my PDA. I used the free image viewer XnView for PocketPC. There is also a Smartphone version. You can find it here -- http://www.xnviewpocket.org

From XnView you just go to Tools > Capture, set the delay and format, then click the capture button and switch back to SlimControl.

I'm sure there are other ways to get a screen shot, but this is what I use.

Locuth
2009-05-07, 12:02
Hi Locuth

I grabbed a freeware program called "Screen Capture" which can be found at http://www.iliumsoft.com/site/fp/screen_capture.php and gabbed these screen shots. If you'd like to see any particular screen, let me know:

Stoker - you're the best. Thanks.
I could not quite believe that SlimControl would look allright on higher resolution screens. Well, not perfect, but quite ok.

To you others - if you are experiencing any display trouble, graphic glitches, etc. If you post screenshots of your garbled or however buggy skin. I'd be happy to get those issues fixed.

Thanks again to all for your contributions.
BTW I accidently dropped some negative credit to one of you (along with a positive comment, though :-/

So please let me know if it was to YOU. So I can ask the admins to fix that.
I simply do not remember for I had had a beer or two.

Locuth
2009-05-07, 12:02
Sebastian asked me to post here to tell you all how I got a screen shot from my PDA. I used the free image viewer XnView for PocketPC. There is also a Smartphone version. You can find it here -- http://www.xnviewpocket.org

Thanks Sue !

Locuth
2009-05-07, 12:12
Thanks for this little application - it's a great idea.

1) If you change the server address this isn't honored until the application is restarted but the user isn't given any notification of this.

2) Lack of authentication support - but I gather you already know that.

4) When listing all the players I have the list gets cut-off. See attached image.
Thanks!

Hey elziko -
Thanks for the bug reports. authentication is actually next on my todo list.
As soon as I have ccompleted radio streams.

The cut-off list, that's good advice. I never thought anybody would have that many players^^ Oh, and I do not envy you - NOT :-)

The server not changing - that's odd. Ahh, I think I fixed a couple of days ago.
Can I put you on my list of preferred test-candidates for upcoming releases? These issues you had, most users would never experience for lack of 12 Squeezeboxes or servers.

Cheers

elziko
2009-05-08, 01:36
Can I put you on my list of preferred test-candidates for upcoming releases? These issues you had, most users would never experience for lack of 12 Squeezeboxes or servers.

Of course you can! Although I only have 3 hardware (and up to three software SqueezeBoxes). There are some people who have many more!

I was also wondering how you developed this - what environment?

I only ask because I have done a little WM development using Visual Studio 2005/2008 and with that you get a WM device emulator with which you can select different screen sizes for testing & debugging.

If you have the Windows Mobile 6 SDK then you probably already have the emulator installed.

Even if you're not using Visual Studio or the SDK I think you can download the device emulator separately - developing blindly for other screen sizes must be hard work without an emu!

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=dd567053-f231-4a64-a648-fea5e7061303&displaylang=en

I look forward to your next release.

elziko
2009-05-08, 01:42
Oh, and heres a two part guide to using the emus in case you should need it:

http://blog.enterprisemobile.com/2008/05/device-emulator-setup-1/

http://blog.enterprisemobile.com/2008/05/windows-mobile-device-emulator-2/

Locuth
2009-05-08, 03:17
I was also wondering how you developed this - what environment?
I look forward to your next release.

I am working with VC++ 6.0. I simply did not like the VC++ 2005 GUI. It felt sluggish and bloated. But maybe I am just getting too old to change my habits.

So that limits development to WM 2003
But I will probably get into VC 2005 at some point - If SlimControl pays for the license i.e. ;-)

Locuth
2009-05-08, 03:26
Oh, and heres a two part guide to using the emus in case you should need it:
http://blog.enterprisemobile.com/2008/05/device-emulator-setup-1/
http://blog.enterprisemobile.com/2008/05/windows-mobile-device-emulator-2/

That's a well written guide. Thanks

opchiasm
2009-05-11, 03:03
Any chance of changing that creepy alphabet in the background?

Locuth
2009-05-11, 04:22
Any chance of changing that creepy alphabet in the background?

Sure what you have it changed to ?

newy
2009-05-11, 05:35
After i download it where do i install it from - my device or active sync? I'm running xp w/ an HTC 6800/mogul. Thanks!

Locuth
2009-05-11, 06:05
After i download it where do i install it from - my device or active sync? I'm running xp w/ an HTC 6800/mogul. Thanks!

When you install the downloaded msi-File on your local PC,
the installer will attempt to install SlimControl on your PDA right away.

If ActiveSync doesn't start, or shows no new software then:

Start ActiveSync
Go to your Start Menu
-> SlimControl -> Install SlimControl 0.92

Now ActiveSync will upload SlimControl to your PDA.

Did it work ?

newy
2009-05-11, 06:40
Almost ready to try again. Will let you know either way.

This installing apps on Windows Mobile is kinda new to me so excuse the stupid questions but which one of the three files should I download from your download page?

In case it matters, I'm running Windows Mobile 6.1.

Thanks again.

newy
2009-05-11, 11:20
Went w/ option #2 and it worked. Very cool program.

After playing w/ it for all of 10 minutes here is my only question:

Is there a way to turn off the sound when you click a button?

newy
2009-05-11, 15:49
...the "beep" seems to occur when a certain function is triggered (ie turning off program, clicking the binoculars, clicking the music notes, etc.). I have to go into my sounds settings and disable the "events" checkbox.

I really like the app but you asked for feedback so here goes:

1) When you click on an album when browsing by artist the songs should show up by track order, not alphabetical (already mentioned earlier in thread so I'm sure you're aware of this).

2) I don't really use playlists and like to listen to entire albums. When I highlight a track and click the play icon the rest of the album should play out. Is this possible?

3) Would like to see where I am in an album when I'm playing it. Something like "Track 5 of 10" below the Artist - Album display would be great.

4) The graffiti alphabet is a bit weird.

5) When I close the app by pressing the red power icon I would like to run it in the background and be able to re-access it quickly by clciking on the task manager icon when on the WM Today screen. Could see how this could create confusion and extra data charges issues though...

6) Would like the option of running the app at less than full screen so I can still see the time, network, and windows icons on my phone.

7) Not crazy about the iPhone "drag and watch it keep going" style of navigating. Much prefer a side scroll bar.

8) Support for side scroll-wheels and hard-buttons will be awesome.

That's all for now. Can't wait for the next release and thanks for the free SD tool!

elziko
2009-05-12, 01:17
Not crazy about the iPhone "drag and watch it keep going" style of navigating. Much prefer a side scroll bar.

This would make it less finger-friendly! I would prefer not to have a scroll bar - if you must, please make it an option.

newy
2009-05-12, 09:08
thats why I prefer a scroll bar. hate getting my screen all smudgy-smeary. Totally agree, an option for either would definietly be the best of both worlds.

rickwookie
2009-05-13, 06:18
I must have been asleep so missed the release of this and now we're already on page 7 of the thread.

Anyway, installed it today and I like what I see so far. I've been waiting for a native WM app for ages and even toyed with the idea of trying to do it myself (honest) but I've never done and WM programming, since whenever I've looked into it I found that you need a professional Visual Studio licence and can't use the free 'Express' versions to get support for the WM SDK (correct me if I'm wrong).

Most of the glitches I've notices today have already been mentioned (the fixed player list hight for example), but expanding on the report that changing server IP address requires a re-start of the app, I seem to find this also when you set it for the first time (from the default blank). Although the 'test' passed (and amazingly quickly too), after okaying the settings, it just sat there doing nothing until I re-started, then it connected fine.

Another small visual quirk. If you show the volume slider, THEN show the playlist, the volume toggle button seems to 'move' the colume slider in front of or behind the playlist (instead of showing/hiding it). If you show the playlist first (with the volume slider hidden) this behaviour does not occur.
I would suggest that the volume button should always just do the show/hide thing.

The album 'flipping' thing could be cool. Are you trying to emulate the iPhone coverflow behaviour where the album art flips to reveal the track list (or in this case probably makes more sense to be the playlist?). I only speculate that since when the app is first launched, if there is art showing, clicking the playlist button cause the art to flip as the playlist appears. However, when one does a manual flip (by sliding a finger up on the artwork (not down also as someone else posted), this behaviour goes away (until a re-start). It would be cool if this feature was consistant, and if the 'flick up' on the album art showed the playlist (or maybe now I think about it, it would be better to show the album tracklist if the 'Album Covers' option is set to 'Current artist').

A big 'me too' regarding the lack of playlist and radio support, though it seems you're working on that now, great!

It would be cool if you could switch individual players on or off (well I suppose clicking play will switch them on anyway?). If I leave any player on, then SrvrPowerCtrl won't detect an idle system and my server won't sleep/shutdown. (With that in mind another killer option would be to be able to have the app send a WOL packet to a pre-determind MAC address if it can't find the SqueezeCenter on startup.)
To avoid any clutter to the excellent interface, perhaps extra rarely used though very useful player control buttons (such as repeat, shuffle and that all important to me power button) could be revealed only when a touch and hold occurs on the existing RW - PLAY - FF panel (perhaps the additional button panel could slide up). Maybe the panel could be 'flicked' to the side to reveal more buttons. I really should stop this 'thinking out loud' now and let you get on with the fantastic work.

I would be more than happy to test and provide feedback on any changes.

@newy: The "beep" goes away if you untick the 'Button sounds' option under 'User Interface' in the settings.

rickwookie
2009-05-13, 07:14
2) I don't really use playlists and like to listen to entire albums. When I highlight a track and click the play icon the rest of the album should play out. Is this possible?

Don't highlight a track first, just click play, then the whole album will play.

newy
2009-05-13, 10:49
Don't know how I missed the "button sound" button - doh!

As for playing an entire album, often I like to start an album a couple of tracks in and then have the album play out. This is what I'd like to be able to do. Like pressing "Play" on the Controller vs. the middle "Select" button.

Locuth
2009-05-14, 06:18
...the "beep" seems to occur when a certain function is triggered

Go to the settings dialog (cogwheel) and disable the "button sounds"

when browsing by artist the songs should show up by track order

-> will be in the next release (WBINTNR)

When I highlight a track and click the play icon the rest of the album should play out.

Do not highlight a track in the track view. Just click the 'Play' or 'Add' button. This will add all listed tracks.
Generally, 'Add' and 'Play' buttons add all the currently listed items.
Tracks are the only exception, IF a track is highlighted, it will be added only.

3) Would like to see where I am in an album when I'm playing it. Something like "Track 5 of 10" below the Artist - Album display would be great.

I took a note of that.

4) The graffiti alphabet is a bit weird.

So I heard :-) It will be replaced by a cool logo.

5) When I close the app by pressing the red power icon I would like to run it in the background and be able to re-access it quickly by clciking on the task manager icon when on the WM Today screen. Could see how this could create confusion and extra data charges issues though...

The Power buttons is supposed to close the app.
You can leave SC running by using the hardware buttons to 'escape' the full-screen mode of SlimControl.
You task-manager will show it as a running application which you can re-active via task manager. (Note: Name of the app myight be 'SqueezePlayer' - that's a bug)

I might turn it into a today-screen application, but not in the next release.

6) Would like the option of running the app at less than full screen so I can still see the time, network, and windows icons on my phone.

No way will I do that ;-)
The user interface is too custom. It needs to own the screen. Otherwise it would look ugly.

7) Not crazy about the iPhone "drag and watch it keep going" style of navigating. Much prefer a side scroll bar.

I agree with the elziko's reply - we'll see what's coming up in future releases.

8) Support for side scroll-wheels and hard-buttons will be awesome.

So I heard ;-)

Locuth
2009-05-14, 06:48
Anyway, installed it today and I like what I see so far. I've been waiting for a native WM app for ages and even toyed with the idea of trying to do it myself (honest)

- hey guess what I had been waiting for ;-) - so I started this project.

... changing server IP address requires a re-start of the app, ...

So I heard, ... Fixed :-)

If you show the volume slider, THEN show the playlist, the volume toggle button seems to 'move' the colume slider in front of or behind the playlist

There is no real transparency in windows CE. What you see 'behind' the playlist is a copy of the background as it was before the playlist opened.
So hiding the volume slider will reveal the (outdated) background.

I put it on my bug list - but the general problem will always remain, for things changing 'behind' a transparent control

The album 'flipping' thing could be cool. Are you trying to emulate the iPhone coverflow behaviour where the album art flips to reveal the track list

Exactly :-) I will show the flipped album's tracks

It should not flip when you open the playlist, though.
But sometimes the artwork flips in response to slight upward motion even though another button is actually pressed.

A big 'me too' regarding the lack of playlist and radio support, though it seems you're working on that now, great!

Man - I am working 24/7 on all those requests and remarks you guys are posting here ^^

It would be cool if you could switch individual players on or off (well I suppose clicking play will switch them on anyway?).

Now on my list dude.

...able to have the app send a WOL packet to a pre-determind MAC address if it can't find the SqueezeCenter on startup.)

Cool - now on my list too.

To avoid any clutter to the excellent interface, ...

Thanks !

.. rarely used player control buttons (such as repeat, shuffle and that all important to me power button) could be revealed only when a touch and hold occurs on the existing RW - PLAY - FF panel (perhaps the additional button panel could slide up). Maybe the panel could be 'flicked' to the side to reveal more buttons.

Yeah - I'll have aditional buttons float into view in a 3D animation and let the user control them by eye movement. No - by mind power.

But seriously. I am thinking of a way to include more functionality in the main window and put less-frequent buttons in a sub-menu.
Either:
1. clicking the popup-menu button a 2nd time opens a new menu.
2. adding a 'more' button in the popup menu to 'scroll through adittional menu items.
3. Tap&hold might be cool too. But it's harder to figure out without reading the manual.
(Did you find out about the playlist-edit commands by tap&hold ??)

Other ideas welcome.

Cheers,
Sebastian

spumanti
2009-05-14, 13:25
Hey Sebastian.

Thanks for a great application. Have been waiting for this too (like many other users).

So far I've only had a short look at it (only dL'd it today).

The interface is very snappy, and responds quickly to my inputs - nice :)

As mentioned very early in this thread, there's an issue with non-standard characters. I've noticed it in the album list.
Have an album called: Ay Caramba!
the (exclamation mark upside down) is shown like %C2%A1
I'm sure you already have it on the TODO list :)

Also i agree that it would be nice to have a power-button for the players, and also an option to play favourites and if possible Podcasts too.

All in all very great piece of SW!

Have you considered putting a "Donate here" PayPal button on your homepage? - It might at least buy you a few beers to keep you happy while developing!

Oh, and btw: the "Contact" link in the bottom of your homepage links to a dead page (looks like the link is misspelled).
The contact link in the top navigation works fine though!

Locuth
2009-05-14, 13:41
Hey Sebastian.

Thanks for a great application. Have been waiting for this too (like many other users).

..., there's an issue with non-standard characters. I've noticed it in the album list.

... Have you considered putting a "Donate here" PayPal button on your homepage? - It might at least buy you a few beers to keep you happy while developing!

Thanks !

I am 'collecting' the %xx%xx codes as I go. thanks for the %C2%A1 :-)
If the is an ASCII character, I will fix it.

Actually I am considering a 'buy now' button;-).
But you fellows are of great help testing and improving SC and for now my reward is getting so much mostly positive feedback. And the next release will of course be available to all of you.

I wonder if there is an easy way of setting up a donate-now sort of thing.
Take care

rickwookie
2009-05-15, 02:13
What you see 'behind' the playlist is a copy of the background as it was before the playlist opened.
So hiding the volume slider will reveal the (outdated) background.

I put it on my bug list - but the general problem will always remain, for things changing 'behind' a transparent control
So just make sure the background that gets copied doesn't have the volume slider drawn on it (e.g. hide the slider as the first action when the playlist button is pressed, as you currently do for the four buttons in the same place, and then redraw it if it should be shown, as you also appear to do currently) ;-)

It should not flip when you open the playlist, though.
But sometimes the artwork flips in response to slight upward motion even though another button is actually pressed.
Oddly I can't reprodeuce this now anyway!

Yeah - I'll have aditional buttons float into view in a 3D animation and let the user control them by eye movement. No - by mind power.
That would probably be more effort than it's worth, mind power is very difficult to interface with directly. I think the side-flick would be easier to implement since you could harness the power of the existing touch screen interface. :-P

I wonder if there is an easy way of setting up a donate-now sort of thing
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_donate-intro-outside
Although I'm sure PayPal would want a slice of your pie for that - they always want a generous slice.

amey01
2009-05-17, 21:32
So I heard :-) It will be replaced by a cool logo.

How about an option to select a .JPEG......I would rather just plain black.

Locuth
2009-05-17, 23:54

The logo is going to be rather dark.
I really like it, actually. But I will keep your suggestion in mind.

Cheeers -

spumanti
2009-05-18, 12:39
I am 'collecting' the %xx%xx codes as I go. thanks for the %C2%A1 :-)
If the is an ASCII character, I will fix it.

Hey again!

I found a list of unicode codes for non-standard characters. Hopefully you will be able to incoorporate it into the software?
I have noticed several other places, where the %xx%xx is appearing for some danish special characters, like , , , , , .

See the list here: http://jeppesn.dk/utf-8.html

I have also noticed in an album title like this:
"Here & Now" the text appears like "Here _Now".

Still loving the software :)

Locuth
2009-05-18, 12:56
Hey again!

I found a list of unicode codes for non-standard characters. Hopefully you will be able to incoorporate it into the software?
I have noticed several other places, where the %xx%xx is appearing for some danish special characters, like , , , , , .

See the list here: http://jeppesn.dk/utf-8.html

I have also noticed in an album title like this:
"Here & Now" the text appears like "Here _Now".

Still loving the software :)

Thanks a lot for the list spumanti !
It will be fixed in the next release.

Unfortunately I think the "Here _Now" is a SqueezeCenter problem.
SlimControl doesn't insert any "_" characters

Locuth
2009-05-18, 13:05

The thing is, SlimControl is designed to have a dark background.
I would not look good for any(!) background picture.

The reason beeing, that the buttons images are anti-aliased towards a black background. On a white background, you'd see black, ragged borders around them.

Alas, windows CE is simply not fit for true alpha-blending. The GUI would flicker a lot if I implemented TRUE transparency.

amey01
2009-05-18, 22:38
The thing is, SlimControl is designed to have a dark background.
I would not look good for any(!) background picture.

I actually want a plain black background!! Sure, some images/colours will look better than others, but at least if you give people the option then they can choose and it puts an absolute end to the "I hate the creepy alphabet", and invaribly "The new logo sux" type of comments.....they can fr1gg1n' choose what they please.

Locuth
2009-05-18, 23:46
I actually want a plain black background!! Sure, some images/colours will look better than others, but at least if you give people the option then they can choose and it puts an absolute end to the "I hate the creepy alphabet", and invaribly "The new logo sux" type of comments.....they can fr1gg1n' choose what they please.

I am truly sorry for the alphabet. And I'll think about a plain BG.
The point of the BG is to emphasize the transparent design which would be partially lost on a plain color BG.

Cheers -

Muele
2009-05-19, 02:23
Hi

I just DL'ed yesterday. Installed the CAB without a problem, connected to the server. It just worked. HTC TYTN by the way.

Very nice app. And from what I can read in this rather long thread you do intensive development on it :)

Ofcourse when you get something really cool (especially if you got it for free) you want more.

I agree with most of the other suggestions in this thread. And I have a couple myself.

Number one: some sort of "Back" option. If I drill into an album and want to go back to the "above" level I have to remember if I was browsing albums, artists or whatnot.
A left-swipe would really be in the spirit of the touch-display.

Second: I think the screen is big enough to allow the four buttons to displayed al the time when on the "now playing" screen. Exept of course when adjusting the volume.

Third: Let the volume slider disappear automatically after some time. (3-5 seconds timeout).

A couple of times the volume slider hasn't looked right. It was sort of transparent-black. One time it changed size according to the volume selection and another it was just at max-size. On all ocations I could still control the volume. I have not been able to replicate te problem, so I cannot describe how to reproduce it.

All in all great work.

Locuth
2009-05-19, 04:36
Number one: some sort of "Back" option. If I drill into an album and want to go back to the "above" level I have to remember if I was browsing albums, artists or whatnot.
A left-swipe would really be in the spirit of the touch-display.

Yeah nou need to know where you are to navigate back. My girlfriend is having trouble with that too ^^.
I put the back-swipe on my evergrowing list. I wonder how many people will find about this kind of feature, for nobody ever reads manuals.

Second: I think the screen is big enough to allow the four buttons to displayed al the time when on the "now playing" screen. Exept of course when adjusting the volume.

Do you like having the menu up? I actually considered even hiding the player controls after some inactivity timeout

Third: Let the volume slider disappear automatically after some time. (3-5 seconds timeout).

Good idea - that'll be implemented by the time your are reading this.
Although people will want to disable that feature I guess.

Cheers -

rickwookie
2009-05-19, 14:02
Unfortunately I think the "Here _Now" is a SqueezeCenter problem.
SlimControl doesn't insert any "_" characters
If you don't do anything with the "&", then the windows (including Windows Mobile I guess) API probably DOES insert "_" characters.

This goes back to the year dot with the "&" being used in menu titles to indicate the 'Alt' accelerator (or hot) key, e.g. &File -> Save &As. The character that follows the "&" becomes the underlined accelerator, so in the case of "Here & Now", the space before the "N" is underlined. To avoid this there should be a function to deal with it, but I seem to remember from way back that you need to parse the string and insert a "&" before (or after) and "&" found, so that it becomes "&&". This will make the string "Here & Now" become "Here && Now", but be displayed as "Here & Now" and not "Here _Now".

spumanti
2009-05-19, 14:07
hi rickwookie.

Thanks for clarifying that.

I checked the album title in SqueezeCenter, and it looks fine there in the web interface, so I guessed it would have to be something with the application, or, as you say, the way WinMo handles the special & character.

Cheers

rickwookie
2009-05-19, 14:16
Is it worth considering using this as a base for your touch interface when browsing or searching the library or playlist?:
http://supware.net/iContact/
The actually open source cose is available here:
http://supware.net/iContact/iContact0.93.zip

I find that interface fantastically fluid and the jump to a letter feature is great. Have you seen that app before?

amey01
2009-05-19, 16:59
Is it worth considering using this as a base for your touch interface when browsing or searching the library or playlist?:
http://supware.net/iContact/
The actually open source cose is available here:
http://supware.net/iContact/iContact0.93.zip

I find that interface fantastically fluid and the jump to a letter feature is great. Have you seen that app before?

That interface looks great!!

jw111
2009-05-19, 20:29
Other suggestions:
1. An option to have Slimcontrol turn on wifi if it is off.
This would be useful to me because I leave wifi off most of the time but then want to start some music on the squeezebox when I get home.

2. A separate option to turn wifi off upon exit, possibly only when slimcontrol turned it on initially.

Locuth
2009-05-20, 04:17
Other suggestions:
1. An option to have Slimcontrol turn on wifi if it is off.
This would be useful to me because I leave wifi off most of the time but then want to start some music on the squeezebox when I get home.

2. A separate option to turn wifi off upon exit, possibly only when slimcontrol turned it on initially.

That sounds very hardware specific. For instance, my PDA doesn't even have Wifi.
But I'll look into it - thanks for the suggestion.

jw111
2009-05-20, 05:16
I think it is somehow standard to Windows Mobile because there are wifi sniffing programs like WIFI Monster that can do this on different phones.

Locuth
2009-05-20, 06:31
Could you (or anybody else) confirm or disconfirm that you have the following registry key on your PDA/Smartphone?

[HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\State]
-> {98C5250D-C29A-4985-AE5F-AFE5367E5006}

Supposedly this is the Wifi Device (for WM5.0 and newer)

A great tool for viewing the registry (and much more) is:
http://www.ghisler.com/index.htm

Cheers

rickwookie
2009-05-20, 12:49
Could you (or anybody else) confirm or disconfirm that you have the following registry key on your PDA/Smartphone?

A great tool for viewing the registry (and much more) is:
http://www.ghisler.com/index.htm

Cheers
On my Vario III at HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\State I have the DWORD values:
Bluetooth
Phone
Wireless
{98C5250D-C29A-4985-AE5F-AFE5367E5006}\TNETW12511
{98C5250D-C29A-4985-AE5F-AFE5367E5006}\TNETWLN1

It's the value {98C5250D-C29A-4985-AE5F-AFE5367E5006}\TNETW12511 that seems to toggle between value data of 1 and 0 when I turn the WiFi on/off.

I also have lots of sub keys there.

Locuth
2009-05-20, 12:54
Mmmh, ...
Do you have more than one network adapter ?
Hopefully others will contribute with their reg values. I need more information :-)

I suppose the 0/1 value in that key is a DWORD value.

jw111
2009-05-20, 17:43
On my HTC Fuze at HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\State I have:
Bluetooth
Phone
Wireless

I do not have the second entry that the persion with the Vario had

pjzzz
2009-05-20, 18:53
On my Touch HD it won't scan my library, it counts artist (5430) and than,
while scanning albums, it stops at 400 all the time and crashes.
Crashes on Genre, Artist and Album search.
SlimCtrl.txt is empty (debug1-6)

rickwookie
2009-05-21, 01:27
Mmmh, ...
Do you have more than one network adapter ?
Hopefully others will contribute with their reg values. I need more information :-)

I suppose the 0/1 value in that key is a DWORD value.

Umm...

...trol\Power\State I have the DWORD values...

;-)

As for more than one adapter, the other key may well be left over from some old backup/restore from another device I don't know. Like I wrote, the TNETW12511 value is the one that toggles with the WiFi.

Locuth
2009-05-21, 01:48
Thanks
Looks like this value name will not be identical for all devices.

rickwookie
2009-05-21, 06:48
Thanks
Looks like this value name will not be identical for all devices.

Why's that?

mirokoso
2009-05-22, 13:41

On my Fujitsu/Siemens Loox N560 I have
and value is: 0/1 wifi off/on

Locuth
2009-05-22, 13:51
Why's that?

For the label is too odd to be a standard identifier.
And see the post following yours...

Locuth
2009-05-22, 13:56
On my Fujitsu/Siemens Loox N560 I have
and value is: 0/1 wifi off/on

So the label appears to be TNETWxxx
where xxx is most anything.
Are there any other values within the {...7E5006} key? Maybe a descriptive name for the interface ?

Cheers

spumanti
2009-05-22, 15:01
On my Vario III at HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\State I have the DWORD values:
Bluetooth
Phone
Wireless

It's the value {98C5250D-C29A-4985-AE5F-AFE5367E5006}\TNETW12511 that seems to toggle between value data of 1 and 0 when I turn the WiFi on/off.

I have _exactly_ the same as rickwookie described, although my phone is a HTC touch Diamond :)
The REG_DWORD value {98C5250D-C29A-4985-AE5F-AFE5367E5006}\TNETW12511 switches between 0 (wireless off) and 1 (wireless on) when i toggle the Wifi.

EDIT:
However; If I manually change the ...TNETW12511 value from 0 to 1, it does NOT switch on the Wifi on my phone. When wifi is on, changing the value will NOT switch the wifi off.

Locuth
2009-05-22, 15:10
I love doing a full-text search in a 17 gazillion KB repository
Google yields the following Wifi keys / devices:

TIACXWLN1
-Artemis / HTC P3300
-Pocket Loox 718/720
-Hermes / HTC TyTN / XDA trion / MDA Vario II / VPA Compact III / SPV M3100 / Dopod CHT 9000 / Dopod 838 Pro
-Athena / x7500

TNETW12511
-HTC Titan / Sprint Mogul / Verizon XV6800 / P4000
-HTC TyTN II / Kaiser / AT&T Tilt / 8925 / P4550
-Elf / HTC Touch
-HTC Vox

TNETWLN1
-Universal / Qtek 4040 / XDA-IV / SPV M5000 / MDA-IV / i-mate 2005
-HTC Wizard / Qtek 9100 / i-mate K-JAM / MDA Vario / O2 XDA Mini S / SPV M3000 / Cingular 8125 / T-Mobile MDA / Dopod 838 / VPA compact II

WLAN11g1
-Terralogic Toughnote DA05-M Ruggedised PDA

SWLD25SP1
-E-ten Glofiish X500
-Samsung SGH-i600

GSPI86861
-Sharp EM-ONE

CheetahSDN1
-O2 XDA Flame

CF8385PN1
-O2 Atom LIFE

rickwookie
2009-05-27, 03:04
You only need to match {98C5250D-C29A-4985-AE5F-AFE5367E5006} though right?

If there's more than one entry (for silly people like me that have carried over obsolete registry enteries from old devices) then just do a logical OR on the value data. Only one value will get switched on by the WiFi.

I assume you just need to check this key value to determine if you should switch off the WiFi when exiting the application to return it to its previous state (like TomTom does with Bluetooth).

Locuth
2009-05-27, 03:15
You only need to match {98C5250D-C29A-4985-AE5F-AFE5367E5006} though right?

If there's more than one entry (for silly people like me that have carried over obsolete registry enteries from old devices) then just do a logical OR on the value data. Only one value will get switched on by the WiFi.

I assume you just need to check this key value to determine if you should switch off the WiFi when exiting the application to return it to its previous state (like TomTom does with Bluetooth).

Actually the request was to turn WiFi ON, when SlimControl is launched.
But yes, resetting it when SC terminates is probably the proper way to go.

What do you mean by a logical OR of the value data.
Do you mean querying all values under that {..7E5006} key and assuming the WiFi to be on, if any of thoses values is greater than 0?

Fortunately a happy user donated a Wifi-enabled XDA smartphone. So I have at least a clue now what the registry entries look like:-)

spumanti
2009-05-27, 03:30
Came to think of a new feature id' like :)

It would be very nice to have an option to keep the screen fro switching off while the SlimControl app is running.
Could be an option in the settings of the program, or an extra button somewhere in the interface.
That way, I could keep navigating the music without having to switch screen on again and unlock the phone before I can change to another track, etc...

TomTom navigator keeps the screen on on my smartphone, so it must be possible to do.

Locuth
2009-05-27, 04:01
That is a good idea. I'll probably put it in the options.

Athough I am not quite sure how smartphones handle the various power states. I know they behave different than PDAs.

amey01
2009-05-27, 04:32
That is a good idea. I'll probably put it in the options.

Athough I am not quite sure how smartphones handle the various power states. I know they behave different than PDAs.

I think they do handle it differently. Personally I like the screen to turn off because I like to leave the device ON! Nothing's worse than having to wait for a wi-fi reconnection if the device has been switched off, but any power saving in this mode is appreciated.

arztde
2009-05-27, 05:18
I think they do handle it differently. Personally I like the screen to turn off because I like to leave the device ON! Nothing's worse than having to wait for a wi-fi reconnection if the device has been switched off, but any power saving in this mode is appreciated.

If you have a XDA Diamond or HTC Diamond than any idea to save power in a nice way is a good idea. Most concerns are made because if you play with applications are about this topic.

arztde
2009-05-28, 09:59
I did not follow all the English discussion but i think it was not any topic in this until now.

Is there anyone who have Developer Skills and is familiar with the MDP.
http://mpd.wikia.com/wiki/Music_Player_Daemon_Wiki

I have some idea for a later point to make somehow a connection betwheen the PDA Controller solution Squeezebox and the MPD.

For example you have a Squeezebox in living room and special in this example a Popcorn Hour MNT. The music files are at the same folder.
MNT have not enough power to run a Squeezecenter but the MDP you can set uo there on the MNT. The idea is to have in the same program like PDA controller the controls of MPD integrate. So one controller for 2 different Hardware sollutions.

Sunil Banga
2009-05-28, 11:47
Had a little play around today and think it isn't half bad but not the speediest for large music selections. Is there anything in the pipeline to have a fourth tab to browse via music folders? My music is immaculately organised and beats browsing via genre, artist or album hands down (no matter how much people extol the virtues of tags)!

Locuth
2009-05-28, 13:10
I implemented Favorites, Plugins/Radios and Playlists.
Music folders I haven't looked into yet. What's the concept ?

When I listen to music I usually access it via artist.
To me artist == genre much more than a genre could ever qualify for specific kind of music.

And yes, you're right. Large collection are inconvenient.
You cannot compare browsing on a small and slow device without a mouse
to a full screen browser that maintains a local database, which BTW takes minutes to hours to build.

SlimControl maintains a copy off all genres/albums/artists in memory.
The inital loading does take long for 2000+ artists/genres/albums - I know.
Given that many of you do have collections much larger than mine,
I am actually think about storing a refined image of the SC collection on the PDA/smartphone.

I deliberatly created this search hierarchy which will in most cases yield server responses
within less than a second. (How many albums can there be for a given artist - 20 ?)
Genre queries might be the slowest.
I don't know - how long does it usually take to collect e.g. all atists of a given genre (for you) ?

SlimControl is probably a nightmare for people who don't bother fixing the mp3-tags.

Thanks for the feedback and do let me know how you're using your music folders.
Cheers

Leahcim
2009-05-28, 15:11
Hi

Thanks for a fantastic app.

Looking forward for favorites, playlists and radio, when do you release that version?

I am missing the possibility to power of the player.

On a Xperia with WVGA it is a white square at the bottom of the screen.

Keep up the good work ;).

/Mike

Locuth
2009-05-28, 15:23
Powering players up and down is implemented.

I am a bit at a loss as to screens with unusual aspect ratios.
I would love to look into this issue. But I will either need to have the PDA/smartphone here or have a cooperating user to assist me.

Looking forward to releasing the new version too :-)

Sunil Banga
2009-05-28, 15:45
Browsing via music folders is just something that the Squeezebox does if you go to "Music Library" and then "Music Folder". Makes it easier to browse for me as a lot of songs that are tagged on my collection are featuring another artist(s). This makes for a list of 10-20 under one artist featuring "x", "y" or "z". Pretty annoying trying to remember which track features which artist. Browsing by well organised folders is much easier on a large collection like mine.

rickwookie
2009-05-28, 16:26
Pretty annoying trying to remember which track features which artist.

I really don't understand. Can you give an example?

Sunil Banga
2009-05-28, 16:31
For example a dj might have lots of different artists singing on his/her album. This would then be tagged as DJ "X" featuring all the different artists. Makes a long list of needless tags when one album folder would suffice.

arztde
2009-05-28, 19:36
I really don't understand. Can you give an example?

I give you a simple example.
Maybe he have arround 1900 Music Albums so maybe all sort in folders. Each album a folder have a structure like artist - album nr 2 he have in different editions. means a good complete collection. than he found squeezecenter the first time and did install it. than he found music-what is first facinating him works wonderful with squeezecenter..... ahhh in music-ip is a feature to correct the tags. and to give your music a lots of additional tags and maybe the lyrics. just a click and he have a list of 4000 changes to do.

Now his problem... just one click more and all what he have collect in the years is destroyd in a simple moment and no backup somewhere.
From one moment of the 4000 changes done with one click music ip makes 3000 mistakes. so from now all is useless. the only structure what rescue him with time is his well proper folder structure.
santana for example have play with a lot of other popular artists. if you click for example santana now than a special album, it can happen that there is only one song inside... the rest is put to the other artists.
or he have now 3 or 5 versions of this only one existing album because the tacs put it in different years. in one album is one song in the same named album are 5 more and so on. i think he is not the only one.
if he like to find a special song or to listen a complete album he have the only chance to go in a folder and from there to go on.

JooB
2009-05-29, 03:39
Powering players up and down is implemented.

I am a bit at a loss as to screens with unusual aspect ratios.
I would love to look into this issue. But I will either need to have the PDA/smartphone here or have a cooperating user to assist me.

Looking forward to releasing the new version too :-)

You can download emulator images from microsoft that supports different screen resolutions.

I'm not sure but perhaps you need at least Visual Studio 2005 to use them though.

JooB
2009-05-29, 03:40
And here is the link to the Windows Mobile emulator images: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=1A7A6B52-F89E-4354-84CE-5D19C204498A&displaylang=en

rgreening
2009-05-29, 06:52
Hi, Just installed this on a Dell Axim X5 running ppc2006 and works great.

Just wish now there was a softaqueeze for PDA/PocketPC. That would be perfect for me.

Thanks
Richard

elziko
2009-05-30, 00:44
Just wish now there was a softaqueeze for PDA/PocketPC. That would be perfect for me.

See here:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=61925

...hopefully momentum will grow and something will come of this.

Locuth
2009-05-30, 16:27
And here is the link to the Windows Mobile emulator images: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=1A7A6B52-F89E-4354-84CE-5D19C204498A&displaylang=en

Thanks - I'll give it a try. But you are probably right, I'll need Visual Studio 2005.

Locuth
2009-05-30, 16:31
Hi, Just installed this on a Dell Axim X5 running ppc2006 and works great.

A friend of mine and I have started working on a PDA version of softsqueeze...

Zn0rt
2009-05-31, 09:54
I didn't read through all 13 pages of posts; please ignore if this has already been requested:

Everything you do in the program (selecting music and tracks and such) makes the "alert" noise (whatever that noise is for your device.) Its quite annoying. I don't want to make my phone silent, because you know, I want to hear a call if I get one, but the constant "bling bling bling" is going to make me tear my hair out.

Stats: HTC Touch Pro with WM 6.5.

Other than that, its nice little program. Certainly not a replacement for a controller, but a nice supplementary way of getting to your music.

-Z

Locuth
2009-05-31, 10:59
...but the constant "bling bling bling" is going to make me tear my hair out.

The bling bling is for letting you know that you actually triggered an action. But I agree - on many handhelds the sound is quite annoying. Not on mine ;-)

You can deactivate it in the settings: "button sounds".

Other than that, its nice little program. Certainly not a replacement for a controller, but a nice supplementary way of getting to your music.

What do you think is missing to replace the controller?
(besides radio/favorites/playlists which is implemented in the next release)

arztde
2009-05-31, 11:18

The musik folders to browse. Main importance.

Locuth
2009-05-31, 11:25
Music Folders again ... ;-)
OK, music folders will be working in the next release.

arztde -
the Squeezebox Duet has not yet arrived. And I am in Frankfurt right now. I will be back on tuesday night.
Looking forward very much!

arztde
2009-05-31, 11:40
Music Folders again ... ;-)
OK, music folders will be working in the next release.

arztde -
the Squeezebox Duet has not yet arrived. And I am in Frankfurt right now. I will be back on tuesday night.
Looking forward very much!

Ok now it is out who is the sponsor.... to late <bigsmile>.
I did phone you on friday about it.
Anyways i never did use logitech squeezebox hardware before. So it will be, when i use the first time a surprise to compare hehehe

I did mix with music ip. and have same problem as it was descriped. The tags all are useless now... I go in regular only with the folders.

Zn0rt
2009-05-31, 17:22
You can deactivate it in the settings: "button sounds".

Okay, I'll have a look at the button sounds (I assume you mean for the WM device in general, not a setting that's set inside the program.)

Um, yeah, favourites, playlists would be nice. =)

Some things that stood out immediately when first using the program on my phone vs. using the Controller:

1) the Art work is very chunky. I think the program isn't running at full 640x480 res. I know there is an option in Windows Mobile to upscale programs running in non-native resolutions, but upscaling won't help not seeing the artwork in full res. (since it just does pixel multiplication).

2) a limitation of using a telephone as an audio controller is that the phone has non-dedicated buttons. I am thinking specifically of the scroll-wheel of the controller. This is a very efficient way of getting through vast lists of songs, albums, and artists.

3) the phone is slow compared to the controller. Changing tracks, etc. doesn't have a snappy feel to it. Possibly Windows Mobile is slow, or perhaps the program is slow, or who knows?

4) is it even possible to fast-forward with the PDA software??

Its quite possible that a phone, even something as advanced as a Touch Pro (which is a general ARM computer more than it is a phone in fact) can't ever be as efficient a control mechanism as a dedicated controller, in this case the Controller of the Duet.

But I certainly appreciate that someone is trying to get as close to the functionality as possible.

-Z

newy
2009-05-31, 19:16
"Bling" sounds are turned off using the checkbox within the program on the settings page. I missed it too at first.

radish
2009-05-31, 20:29
For example a dj might have lots of different artists singing on his/her album. This would then be tagged as DJ "X" featuring all the different artists. Makes a long list of needless tags when one album folder would suffice.

That's what AlbumArtist is for...believe me I have a lot of compilations and "featuring" albums, but there's no need to use Browse Music Folder.

Zn0rt
2009-06-01, 02:49
"Bling" sounds are turned off using the checkbox within the program on the settings page. I missed it too at first.

Ahhhhh! Muchos gracias! Okay, now I can spend more time with the app without going crazy. =)

-Z

Locuth
2009-06-01, 03:11
1) the Art work is very chunky. I think the program isn't running at full 640x480 res.

No it's natively running at 240x320. The OS automatically upscales. I cannot yet afford the development env. for WM5+
;-)

2) a limitation of using a telephone as an audio controller is that the phone has non-dedicated buttons.

The user interface is purely touch screen to offer the same usability and feel on all devices. BTW, I'd have never imagined how many smartphone users cared to have a SQ-center remote control.

4) is it even possible to fast-forward with the PDA software??

Yes, use the blue horizontal slider.

Its quite possible that a phone, even something as advanced as a Touch Pro (which is a general ARM computer more than it is a phone in fact) can't ever be as efficient a control mechanism as a dedicated controller.

But it can be - as far as player responsiveness is concerned. The communication between cotroller and server is based on plain network protocols. So any differences in snappyness between controller and (e.g) SlimControll can potentially be eliminated.
(Subject to the capabilites of the developer ;)

pippin
2009-06-01, 03:50
You've got PM.

Locuth
2009-06-01, 04:57
You've got PM. You too...

rgreening
2009-06-01, 06:53
Hi, I've been running the app on my Dell Axim x5 for a couple of days now and I've noticed that the ablum art doesn't display, when the PDA has been hibernated (not sure what else to call it). I have to exit the app and then restart it.

Locuth
2009-06-01, 07:08
Hi, I've been running the app on my Dell Axim x5 for a couple of days now and I've noticed that the ablum art doesn't display, when the PDA has been hibernated (not sure what else to call it). I have to exit the app and then restart it.

Richard, the connection/re-connection process of the current version is not yet very well thought through. I had not anticipated the multitude of hardware and use cases Slimcontrol would face.
The next release will greatly improve that.
Thanks for the feedback.

rgreening
2009-06-01, 07:10
No worries,

I'll happily test the next version when it's available. It's great app.

Thanks

BiT
2009-06-03, 05:19
Holy cow!

I haven't got my HTC Touch Pro 2 just yet, but when I get it (friday, hopefully) I will try this out ASAP! :D

amey01
2009-06-04, 04:35
While using SlimControl tonight, I thought of another enhancement/suggestion.

It'd be great if it had the ability to "Play next" and move up and down in a playlist - just like SlimRemote (if you've seen that).

Maybe by the same method - "press and hold" on a song [for instance] presents a menu to either add to playlist (obviously),or play next, etc.

arztde
2009-06-04, 16:07

It'd be great if it had the ability to "Play next" and move up and down in a playlist - just like SlimRemote (if you've seen that).

Maybe by the same method - "press and hold" on a song [for instance] presents a menu to either add to playlist (obviously),or play next, etc.

I just keep a smile now. I can say only WOW for the future.

Locuth
2009-06-05, 04:35

amey - these features are in the version I am about to release.
In the playlist (player window):
You will be able to move tracks up/down by one, to the top/bottom or 'play next' or remove.

In the browser window:
You will be able to insert your selection after the current track.

arztde
2009-06-05, 05:29
amey - these features are in the version I am about to release.
In the playlist (player window):
You will be able to move tracks up/down by one, to the top/bottom or 'play next' or remove.

In the browser window:
You will be able to insert your selection after the current track.

Hallo Sebastian, somehow if you have more than one player to choose it can not be selected. I have 4 players on my softwarebased installation. It is Squeezeplay beta and Softsqueeze at the eeebox and the same at my laptop.

If i open all four the Squeezecenter shows four players and i can choose them differently. Before you manage only with ip number. Now seems some change in direction to the Mac Adress. Seems the IP is no more used?
If i open One Player at Laptop and one at EEBOX Slimcontrol shows only 2 Players from EEEBOX but they are the same somehow. Must be test with a multiroom instalation maybee?

Locuth
2009-06-05, 06:15
I just keep a smile now. I can say only WOW for the future.

Yeah arztde - you are the single lucky user who can try version 0.94 already.
And your Squeezebox arrived here today. I set it up and it works like a charm with SlimControl 0.94.

Somebody said there would be lag compared to the duet controller. I don't see that. SlimControl is as fast as the controller (in my opinion).

Some screen shots to all of you awaiting SC 0.94:

Locuth
2009-06-05, 06:55
Hallo Sebastian, somehow if you have more than one player to choose it can not be selected. I have 4 players on my softwarebased installation. It is Squeezeplay beta and Softsqueeze at the eeebox and the same at my laptop.

I fixed the bug just a couple of minutes ago.
I'll send you the fixed version pretty soon.

arztde
2009-06-05, 08:17
I fixed the bug just a couple of minutes ago.
I'll send you the fixed version pretty soon.

I did found a next bug. If you have large playlist. I choose a collection of an artist with 138 albums. As result comes Error loading playlist.

In the old version was a playlist of 200 songs than.
Anyways it starts to play. Maybe it is an idea for large playlists to build them dynamic.
Thanks for posting. My written english is so that knowone understand the sense... Sorry about this.

Locuth
2009-06-05, 08:22
I did found a next bug. If you have large playlist. I choose a collection of an artist with 138 albums. As result comes Error loading playlist.

In the old version was a playlist of 200 songs than.
Anyways it starts to play. Maybe it is an idea for large playlists to build them dynamic.
Thanks for posting. My written english is so that knowone understand the sense... Sorry about this.

Does this happen very often ?
Are you using an internet server or a server at home?

Try a longer timeout (Settings)

Good luck :)

arztde
2009-06-05, 08:35
Does this happen very often ?
Are you using an internet server or a server at home?

Try a longer timeout (Settings)

Good luck :)

I will try again. At usual i do not load such a big Playlist. A message appears: Out of memory. And application hangs. Ok 138 Albums in 1 playlist. But anyways songs apear (play) in correct order. I need to reboot the HTC

Locuth
2009-06-05, 08:42
I will try again. At usual i do not load such a big Playlist. A message appears: Out of memory. And application hangs. Ok 138 Albums in 1 playlist. But anyways songs apear (play) in correct order. I need to reboot the HTC

arztzde - please try again to open the playlist. After a fresh restart of SlimControl.

Out of memory is very strange... is that a system message or from SlimControl?

arztde
2009-06-05, 09:04
arztzde - please try again to open the playlist. After a fresh restart of SlimControl.

Out of memory is very strange... is that a system message or from SlimControl?

After a reboot 200 Songs are in Playlist. It was a SlimControl Message.

I did try it twice and now it goes Timeout 6000.
It takes also some time until the songs appear in Squeezecenter. This are more than 500 Songs in one playlist.

Another but it was in the version before the same: In search is no German umlaut. If you search Shne Mannheims. It goes to the next artis but not Shne or Soehne

Locuth
2009-06-05, 09:06
After a reboot 200 Songs are in Playlist. It was a SlimControl Message.

I did try it twice and now it goes Timeout 6000.
It takes also some time until the songs appear in Squeezecenter. This are more than 500 Songs in one playlist.

Another but it was in the version before the same: In search is no German umlaut. If you search Shne Mannheims. It goes to the next artis but not Shne or Soehne

Yeah the Umlaute - I am not using the keyboard search so much. So I haven't noticed. Probably in the next release ;-)

arztde
2009-06-05, 11:00
Yeah the Umlaute - I am not using the keyboard search so much. So I haven't noticed. Probably in the next release ;-)

Hehehe its only finwork what i see here. A Space key? :)

Locuth
2009-06-05, 15:26
Hehehe its only finwork what i see here. A Space key? :)

yeah - space key too.
How do like the keyboard. I really never use it much. Only 2-3 letters, and I find the album/artist I am looking for.

arztde
2009-06-05, 18:01
yeah - space key too.
How do like the keyboard. I really never use it much. Only 2-3 letters, and I find the album/artist I am looking for.

Keys are near the same i think than in the versions before. On the HTC big enough for my fingers that i do not need the stick.
I do not know it is the material of the big playlist i am testing. But it seems by network it is less stable than before. Squeezeplay hangs more often. Maybe i will try it. With Softsqueeze. Today i did bought by German Amazon
( http://www.amazon.de )my first Squeeze Hardware. They have a spechial offer for the Classic. 164,97 Euro this is 230,37 $ and include free transport. Amazon.com offersthe same for $265.15 as special offer.

Ok anyways tomorrow i will test stability with Squeeze hardware too. Maybee its realy only my network or Squeezeplay.

Locuth
2009-06-05, 23:58
Keys are near the same i think than in the versions before. On the HTC big enough for my fingers that i do not need the stick.
I do not know it is the material of the big playlist i am testing. But it seems by network it is less stable than before. Squeezeplay hangs more often. Maybe i will try it. With Softsqueeze. Today i did bought by German Amazon
( http://www.amazon.de )my first Squeeze Hardware. They have a spechial offer for the Classic. 164,97 Euro this is 230,37 $ and include free transport. Amazon.com offersthe same for $265.15 as special offer.

Ok anyways tomorrow i will test stability with Squeeze hardware too. Maybee its realy only my network or Squeezeplay.

Can you tell me in what situations SC hangs ?
Because it never does on my PDA (Softsqueeze & Duet).

rickwookie
2009-06-06, 12:48
Just a thought guys, but wouldn't the last 15 posts have been better as PMs between yourselves? This thread is getting a bit long and this latest part is basically irrelevant to anyone else right?

arztde
2009-06-06, 12:54
Can you tell me in what situations SC hangs ?
Because it never does on my PDA (Softsqueeze & Duet).

I got today the Classic and it runs now 10 hours without brake stable. No crash or something important. A major difference than only the squeezeplay solution.
If i let the HTC a time from recharging away, than it goes after a while from the Wirles away. Is it normal that you let him disconnect from the Network and must reconnect again?. Because this takes sometimes a bit. Or the PDA controller do not find a network. Or it takes a while. Sometimes i Stop the Aplication and restart than. No Problem than.

arztde
2009-06-06, 13:06
Just a thought guys, but wouldn't the last 15 posts have been better as PMs between yourselves? This thread is getting a bit long and this latest part is basically irrelevant to anyone else right?

Ok, sorry. It is just so i test the last steps and thought its interesting for the most. Because the next release is IMHO soon. And it gives a spirit somehow that you can expect something like a big surprize. IMHO it is perfect only Network Problems exist here.
In the German forum it is known that the first 2 releases are developed without any hardware. Most Users have the HTC and i need the Diamond back next week because its a present... I hope someone of HTC users involve and tell me the mistake is mine and not the software. But you are right.

Locuth
2009-06-06, 14:27
You have a point there rickwookie.
Still this thread is supposed to be for feedback of any kind on SlimControl
and I appreciate arztde's enthusiasm.
There have been few bug reports so far and I do need to know about any issues so I can fix them.
Plus, I answer every post.

But - yes, the thread is taking the route of most.
Which is unfortunate, for I was hoping for more bugs being brought to my attention.

rickwookie
2009-06-08, 02:37
Well, of course if you let us all have a bash at 0.94 then we can all provide feedback. ;-)

There seems little point reporting any more bugs when you may have already addressed many of them. One quick one. If I leave 0.92 running for a long period of time, it eventually just dies/exits. Could this be the memory problem that has already been reported? One thing I noticed is that just before it dies, it fails to display the latest track's album art, just a black square. Are you properly cleaning up all the memory used by these bitmaps?

Locuth
2009-06-08, 03:01
If the network fails, either the artwork or the songinfo will stop updating.
0.94 will provide better feedback if any of the connections fail.

BTW that is a good bug report :-)
Does this happen after the device went to sleep or into any other energy savings mode?

Cheers
Sebastian

arztde
2009-06-08, 03:38
If I leave 0.92 running for a long period of time, it eventually just dies/exits.
I was also see this in 0.92 and i did seperate it last night. It depence to the layer you use.

With softsqueeze was not any problem in this. Softsqueeze was stable and reconnection after a time was possible. Squeezeplay dies with an offer of a bug report. In this moment also SlimControl dies.
I run SC at a eeeBox with XP

If you use a Logitech hardware its the like with softsqueeze you can reconnect and Slimcontrol does not die. So i can not reproduce something.
I can reproduce it only with Squeezeplay. Maybe you run in this way, or with a duet.

Locuth
2009-06-08, 04:02
So, to summarize:

With Softsqueeze and SqueezeBox:
After the mobile/PDA Wifi connection has been lost, SControl reconnects to the server after several seconds.

With SqueezePlay:
After the mobile/PDA connection has been lost, SControl dies when reconnecting to the server. Also, SqueezePlay dies.

I am suspecting something and I will check that...

rickwookie
2009-06-09, 01:37
I noticed it with the following setup:

SControl running on my Vario III that was on and charging at the time (so the screen stayed on, although maybe it still goes into some sort of WiFi power down after a while, but I don't see why/how).

SControl set to control a hardware player - Slim Devices Squeezebox 3 - Firmware 125 (since updated to frmware 126).

Locuth
2009-06-09, 06:14
I noticed it with the following setup:
SControl running on my Vario III that was on and charging at the time...

What was the approximate mean-time-before-failure?

rickwookie
2009-06-10, 10:24
What was the approximate mean-time-before-failure?

Checking again, it seems to be about an hour (I use random song play to test so it loads different artwork each track), but will die quicker if you skip lots of tracks. You can very quickly get it into a state where it stops getting artwork and only black square appear, which if you 'flick' them, sometimes are white squares.

Locuth
2009-06-10, 10:43
Checking again, it seems to be about an hour (I use random song play to test so it loads different artwork each track), but will die quicker if you skip lots of tracks. You can very quickly get it into a state where it stops getting artwork and only black square appear, which if you 'flick' them, sometimes are white squares.

OK, bug confirmed.
It's a memory leak in the coverflow.

Thanks to rickwookie & arztde.

arztde
2009-06-10, 21:56
It seems to be stable. yesterday i did write a long summary. But did not postit.

First i describe now what i did test and my Scenario:
1. Squeezecenter running on a EEEBOX B202 with XP.
2. Squeezebox Classic Coax/OUT
3. Sqeezeplay at the EEEBOX SPDIV/OUT
4. Softsqueeze at a Laptop LaptopSpeakers.

Network conection works stable now. All Players are correct display at SlimControl and work how you like.
a) Synchronisation How you like is possible and output is correct. You have to change it from the Webinterface. If you use Synchronisation you change it not so much often but in future it will be nice to have.
b) Multiroom Scenario. You can after you change into independant mode control all players seperate how you like.
c) If your pda have not a Wifi conection at the start, than Squezzecontrol is able to activate you WLAN conection. And is able when you close the program to remember the status. A big advantage to save battery power.
Browser Buttons work Context sensitive.

d) Workflow is improved and works correct. So the Usability is much better. But there are a lot of fine secrets in playing with it. Some are not easy to find out just playing with the application. But they are at the right place to use. So you do not need to browse a lot through the structure. Repeat buton of a song or the complete Playlist yfou find only in Playlist section.

e) Favourites, and saved Playlist work correct.

f) Great work is done with integration of Internetradio. The solution to realize it with 8 Plugins make it possible to browse with just one button.

The Squeezebox is a complex application and i sugesst you something what most Programmers do not like. Its necessary to write a users manual. Best in most languages what are possible. Best if some who like to help. Maybee someone from here like to give Sebastian a private message to help.

BiT
2009-06-12, 08:11
Hey. I tested it on my brand new HTC Touch Pro 2 (Also known as Rhodium) (Love that thing already!) but the resolution of my screen (480x800) is too big for the application :(

Is there anything you can/going to do about this? I'm sure all the WinMo devices with bigger resolutions have this problem. And screens are only going to get bigger...

Cheers for the app though!

arztde
2009-06-13, 02:08
Hey. I tested it on my brand new HTC Touch Pro 2 (Also known as Rhodium) (Love that thing already!) but the resolution of my screen (480x800) is too big for the application :(

Is there anything you can/going to do about this? I'm sure all the WinMo devices with bigger resolutions have this problem. And screens are only going to get bigger...

Cheers for the app though!

I was sending Sebastian my XDA Diamond its the same like a HTC diamond and next beta is optimised special to ergonomic. I you send him a screenshot and support him somehow with a screenshot it will be no big problem to give yours Touch Pro 2 a good resolution. It depence of the users input they givehim.

I think personal most important is now a internationalisation. It needs a start for a good documentation in most languages what are possible to go on further special features.
If the users do to help with this a print can be possible and not only pdf documents. In future so its possible to keep a focus to individual scenarios. Special if you like to use other players than a Logitech squeezebox. Why not a Popcorn Hour or an other Multimediaplayer. i gave him a focus how to build Entation Relationships (ER) and i hope its usefull.
I personally hope next week i got a start of a German based documentation. And than a English one. I will try a translation for russian and romanian language. I hope for a lot of others.

IMHO this is a starting point to make it possible to integrate it into a firmware of mobiles. If so bundles for telephone companies are possible. Why not to give a squeezebox in a bundle, when you make a new contract?

amey01
2009-06-13, 05:10
I've just downloaded 0.94 and used it for my listening tonight.

I want to like this - a LOT! So far, so good, but I've been using SlimRemote for quite a while so that is my benchmark.

A couple of extra suggestions if I may?

1: When choosing tracks from the library, it is hard to switch between the "Now Playing", "Playlist" and "Library" screens - basically you have to go back to the start each and every time. It would be nice to be able to flick between these three main screens.

1a: When you leave the library screen (for any reason), when you re-enter it starts from the beginning and does not remember your position - very annoying if you were at "P" for example.

2: The search function would be even better if it searched anywhere in the string, not just "beginning with". That is - for instance - it should find "The Idea of North" by typing in "north" or "idea" rather than insisting on "the idea...".

All up though, this is coming together really nicely. Congratulations!

arztde
2009-06-13, 06:56
1: When choosing tracks from the library, it is hard to switch between the "Now Playing", "Playlist" and "Library" screens - basically you have to go back to the start each and every time. It would be nice to be able to flick between these three main screens.

1a: When you leave the library screen (for any reason), when you re-enter it starts from the beginning and does not remember your position - very annoying if you were at "P" for example.

At this point try out double functions at the keys. :-) Isay not for nothing a good documentation is important from the point now.

Locuth
2009-06-13, 12:36

As soon as I get my hand on a newer development envinronment, there will be support for higher res screens.

It does depend a little on whether people are willing to pay for this app, or if they consider it just another skin to drive SQCenter.

Locuth
2009-06-13, 12:51

I know exactly what you mean. I noticed this inconvenience some time ago but simply didn't have the time to implement a better navigation. It's on my list.

Same thing - it's on my list.
BTW arztde 'made' me put out this pre-release for you to tell me what changes would be most important at this time. And you do :-)

2: The search function would be even better if it searched anywhere in the string, not just "beginning with". That is - for instance - it should find "The Idea of North" by typing in "north" or "idea" rather than insisting on "the idea...".

It finds the first item starting with 'string'. If there is none, it finds the first item with a word starting with 'string'

So searching 'north' will find "The idea of north", if you do not have "north song".
I am considering a filter that will reduce the list to matches of any kind. However that will slow things down on slow processors

All up though, this is coming together really nicely. Congratulations!
[/QUOTE]

I am curious, are there any advantages over SlimRemote?
Actually I tried using it before I started this project but SlimRemote did not work for me.
That's why it developed SlimControl

amey01
2009-06-13, 13:41
I am curious, are there any advantages over SlimRemote?

You mean, what are the advantages of SlimControl over SlimRemote?

Basically, I've been using SlimRemote for years and am well used to it.

SlimControl is better and slicker all round, but the main advantage that has got me liking it so much is the interface - SlimRemote really demands use of a stupid little stylus whereas SlimControl can be picked up and used directly. Not and insignificant advantage!

BiT
2009-06-13, 14:26
As soon as I get my hand on a newer development envinronment, there will be support for higher res screens.

It does depend a little on whether people are willing to pay for this app, or if they consider it just another skin to drive SQCenter.

Awesome! Can you give us any ETA?

About the paying. I think people are willing to pay a small price for the application, but not too much. Since the handheld skin works alright as well.
If the price is too high people will just use the handheld skin, if the price is right people will probably try this out.

Locuth
2009-06-13, 14:38
Awesome! Can you give us any ETA?

About the paying. I think people are willing to pay a small price for the application, but not too much. Since the handheld skin works alright as well.
If the price is too high people will just use the handheld skin, if the price is right people will probably try this out.

ETA ~ (15/price) [months]

e.g. price: 5 -> ETA: 3 months.

How does that sound?

rickwookie
2009-06-15, 01:13
Locuth, can you provide 0.94 as a cab? I'm using Windows Mobile Device Center 6.1.6965 and all the msi file seems to do is pop up the Add/Remove Programs dialog, but your application is not there.

Edit: Don't worry, I just realised that I could get the cab from the msi myself.

rickwookie
2009-06-15, 01:35
Quick first look at 0.94, I notice when you hit the volume icon while the menu is displayed, it hides the menu but doesn't show the volume slider, it requires a second tap to show. This is not the case when the volume slider is showing and you hit the menu icon, it hides the volume slider and shows the menu as expected.

I like all the new enhancements like the power buttons next to the player and the repeat button in the playlist (having a shuffle button right next to it would be cool though). I notice though that when I start the app and go into some of the browse menus, they are initially empty and I have to go out and back in before they populate. I got this with genre, and most of the radio plugins. If it takes a while for the data to arrive from the server to populate these menus, then a status of 'loading...' of something like that whould be better than '0 items'.

In long lists, like the album browse, the little keyboard icon shows and I can tap it to get the keyboard, but then I can't exit from it without selecting an album.

Muele
2009-06-15, 02:05
My first thought about paying for the application was that with my current setup I would never pay for it. Not that its not cool, because it is. But I own two controllers, and they handle our usage just fine. Besides the windows mobile that I use is actually my workplace's.

But upon installing .94, i slightly changed my mind. It really is a nice app. But I don't have a paypall account or other international micropayment options. Price-wise I think 5/$ would be a reasonable price depending on market size etc. I think that (with my current setup) 10$/ would be the top i would pay.

Here ar my first (constructive) thoughts about .94:
It has lost much of it's intuitive use. E.g. now there are three little icons for adding songs to the playlist. I guess the first one with the blue in the first line clears the playlist and adds the selected item. The one in the middle adds next and the last adds last. But its only a guess. Something like a tab-hold to get a ballon-tip would help me a lot. Also the icons could be more explanatory. The play-arrow and add-plus is universally understood.

The artist-coverflow is really really cool. Something that really makes slimcontrol stand out from squeezeplay or the web-skins. But it times out too quick and it should flow back to the now-playing instead of just "clicking" back. Also you should be able to drill into the other albums that it shows. I guess that is something you have already thought about. Lastly I miss some indicator that there are albums "in front" of the current album.

It took me a while to discover that there had been added more options to the "search menu". Couldn't all 6 items fit on one screen? Of course the current method allows for an indefinate number of menu items which is good. But only three on-screen at the same time is to little imho.

The volume slider disappears after a few seconds timeout. Wuhuu :) Allways nice to see one's fingerprint being implemented.

It may be that I just don't know how to use windwos mobile, but I miss some way of "minimizing" Slimcontrol when i need other applications.

As stated above in the thread, documentation is crucial at this point. I can translate to Danish if requested, but I guess Denmark is such a small country (and generally quite English-capable anyway) that it may not be worth the effort.

On a sidenote I'm having battery-issues. I downloaded a mediaplayer called GSPlayer on the phone (google it) and connected it to Server:9000/stream.mp3 so I can listen to music on the phone while controlling it with Slimcontrol (with a delay of 7-10 seconds). But between the two apps and wifi, the battery is drained in just a couple of hours. And the headphone socket doubles as charging socket (USB). So no listening while recharging.

Keep up the great work! :o) (and release betas for us more often).

Locuth
2009-06-15, 06:08
In long lists, like the album browse, the little keyboard icon shows and I can tap it to get the keyboard, but then I can't exit from it without selecting an album.

You can hide the keyboard either by:
1. tap-hold the "<- clear" button for two seconds.
2. repeatedly press "<-" until the text is ereased, then one more time.

Generally, all buttons behave like cell phone keys in that they will generate the decimal when you tap-and-hold.

Locuth
2009-06-15, 06:34
It has lost much of it's intuitive use. E.g. now there are three little icons for adding songs to the playlist. I guess the first one with the blue in the first line clears the playlist and adds the selected item. The one in the middle adds next and the last adds last. But its only a guess. Something like a tab-hold to get a ballon-tip would help me a lot. Also the icons could be more explanatory. The play-arrow and add-plus is universally understood.

You guessed just right.
If anybody could give me a tip for an "insert" icon that goes nicely with the "play" and "add" buttons from version 0.92. I will revert to the previous icons.

The artist-coverflow is really really cool. Something that really makes slimcontrol stand out from squeezeplay or the web-skins. But it times out too quick and it should flow back to the now-playing instead of just "clicking" back. Also you should be able to drill into the other albums that it shows. I guess that is something you have already thought about. Lastly I miss some indicator that there are albums "in front" of the current album.

That feature isn't fully finished. Thanks for reminding me.
Also, I had simply forgotton about the automatic reset to the current album.
That is undesirable as it is now.

It took me a while to discover that there had been added more options to the "search menu". Couldn't all 6 items fit on one screen? Of course the current method allows for an indefinate number of menu items which is good. But only three on-screen at the same time is to little imho.

I don't know... I am trying to get as much information into the item-list as possible. If many of you think the rest of the User interface suffers from that, I must reconsider...

Someone suggested a swipe-gesture to move to the next menu (which would eliminate on "=>" button in the lower right corner)

Also, the context-senitive button layout is all about saving screen space. If many users do not like it, .. see above.

Thanks for the input - it is well appreciated.

Locuth
2009-06-15, 06:35
Keep up the great work! :o) (and release betas for us more often).

You are right - I should and I will.

Locuth
2009-06-16, 08:14
... ready for you.

There are a couple of changes as requested by recent posts. See here:
http://www.sciatec.de/SlimControl/changes_095.shtml

To all those who haven't tried version 0.94 yet. It has a rather long list of changes and new features:
http://www.sciatec.de/SlimControl/changes_094.shtml

I have opened a new support thread for SlimControl 0.95. This one is getting way too long:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=432459

Enjoy,
Sebastian

rickwookie
2009-06-17, 03:15
[QUOTE=Locuth;432179]You can hide the keyboard either by:
1. tap-hold the "<- clear" button for two seconds.
2. repeatedly press "<-" until the text is ereased, then one more time.
QUOTE]

If you are refering to the button that has:

<-
exit

then that's what I tried (repeatedly press "<-" until the text is ereased, then one more time) but it doesn't work for me. I just tried again, and also tried the tap and hold, still won't go away. The only way I can get out of the keyboard is to select an item in the list.

Locuth
2009-06-17, 04:27
If you are refering to the button that has:
<-
exit

rickwookie, you are killing me ^^
Yes, that's the one I meant, and it had this bug in version 0.94.
I believe you are using version 0.94, please check in settings->about

NikolajC
2009-06-18, 12:09
Nice upgrade Locuth. Definately shaping up - good work. I have found one issue. I can't seem to turn-off my SBR. The booms and the SB3 works fine, but the receiver is not turning off. Using 0.95 on an IPAQ 6815.

Has the "kinetics" been changed? I can't seem to scroll as well with my fingers now. It stops really quickly. Personally I like the old one better.

How will the licensing work btw. I have 2-3 IPAQs I'd like to use. Currently you register each player seperately. Any plans of changing that?

Locuth
2009-06-18, 12:36
I can't seem to turn-off my SBR. The booms and the SB3 works fine, but the receiver is not turning off. Using 0.95 on an IPAQ 6815.

Has the "kinetics" been changed? I can't seem to scroll as well with my fingers now. It stops really quickly. Personally I like the old one better.

Nikolaj - one of my earliest users ^^
I didn't know I could possibly turn off the controller also. I'll check that

As to the scrolling. Yes I made it more sensitive but also maybe a little less accurate. There used to be a longer delay before the scrolling started.
Maybe I'll go back to the earlier algorithm
Can you describe a little better HOW the scrolling feels now.

How will the licensing work btw. I have 2-3 IPAQs I'd like to use. Currently you register each player seperately. Any plans of changing that?
I actually wanted to have each device registered seperately. For you it's free anyways, so go ahead and register them all.
In the future their will be a price,... I don't know yet. What if somebody needs to register his 25 devices which happen to belong to his 25 friends.

NikolajC
2009-06-18, 13:04
Actually I ment the receiver. (I'm not able to shut of my controller, but I would almost never need that anyway). Thanks for looking into it though.

Regarding the scrolling I just registered my IPAQ hx4700. On that one the scrolling works a lot more like the old one. I can flick the finger and it continues for a while. On the 6815 it is almost as if the way I lift my finger off the screen stops the scrolling. So it just scrolls a few lines and then stops when I flick it. Could be related to the rather crappy touch screen on the 6815. EDIT: Actually the 6815 works ok. I just need to press the screen a lot harder. Clearly just a hardware issue.

Regarding the registration that's piracy for you right there. Personally I don't think you should/can fight it too much. Just get the price right and trust your users to register. You could go with a non-device specific serial instead that owners could use on multiple devices and then log serial activity for suspicious activity. I don't know.

Locuth
2009-06-18, 13:14
Yes it depends a lot on the touch screen which is often quite bad on older devices (as mine). I am sort-of using my fingernail, to provide a well defined touch spot. If others report the same issue, I'll go back to the previous design.

I just thought of a nifty group-registration: I'll hand out 'buddy'-keys.
Devices with buddy-keys will ask from time to time to talk to the master device via LAN and have their buddy-status confirmed. How's that.

NikolajC
2009-06-18, 14:10
So one registration is good for one total squeezebox system. That sounds reasonable. In my mind you should be very careful not to bug your real/loyal users with a complicated registration system. A lot of software does that to the extend that even registrered users run the crack to avoid the hassle. Your above suggestion could work completely transparent though.

Locuth
2009-06-18, 14:14
Nikolaj - you are absolutely right.

BiT
2009-06-18, 15:34
Nikolaj - you are absolutely right.

Quoted for truth.

kober
2009-06-22, 05:36
Hi,
I have now installed the latest version of your great tool, but the registration is not working.
my email is kobers@gmx.de

Thanks,

Locuth
2009-06-22, 05:47
Hi,
I have now installed the latest version of your great tool, but the registration is not working.
my email is kobers@gmx.de

Thanks,

Kober, I'm sorry you're having troubles.
You must have received the email, haven't you?

I just checked, the last letter in your key is an 'l' like in 'l'ove.
Maybe you mistook it for a '1'=One.

kober
2009-06-22, 06:48
Kober, I'm sorry you're having troubles.
You must have received the email, haven't you?

I just checked, the last letter in your key is an 'l' like in 'l'ove.
Maybe you mistook it for a '1'=One.

great, thanks, that was the issue :)

Locuth
2009-06-27, 09:37
great, thanks, that was the issue :)

The registration seems to be the only issue really.
No more bugs :-)

dkcoder
2009-06-29, 13:56
I just installed 0.95 on an IPAQ, using it to control an SBR. Overall, a very polished UI and app. The only thing that seems missing is access to the Dynamic Playlists plugin running on Squeezecenter. I use SQL Playlist/Dynamic Playlists quite a bit, and don't see any way to access that via SlimControl.

Great work Sebastian.

I'm not sure if you are keeping track of tested hardware, but I'll throw out some info in case anyone's interested.

Platform: IPAQ hx2490b
MobileOS: WM 2003
SqueezeCenter Version: 7.3.2
SqueezeCenter OS: Linux (Ubuntu 9.04)

Locuth
2009-06-29, 14:01
Thanks dkcoder

I would be curious what the plugin 'says' when selected in SControl.
If it is even listed in SControl (which it should)

Stay tuned for v0.96 with cover artwork and a local cache to speed up things.

dkcoder
2009-06-29, 14:20
Not sure what you mean by what it "says". The Dynamic Playlist plugin shows up under "Music Library", with the title "Dynamic Playlists". It's one of the Erland's plugins.

Also, I just saw the cover flow by Artist. Very cool effect.

Can't wait for 0.96!

Locuth
2009-06-29, 14:26
Sorry, I'm not a native speaker. I meant to ask, whether SControl lists the plugin and what happens when you select it.

dkcoder
2009-06-29, 14:39
No need to apologize. Is SControl the same as SlimControl? If it is, I don't see any plugins listed in any of the screens.

Goodsounds
2009-06-29, 16:09
Sorry, I'm not a native speaker. I meant to ask, whether SControl lists the plugin and what happens when you select it.

There are many different flavors of native English speakers, but your usage (especially by putting "says" in quote marks) seems perfectly correct and understandable to me.

dkcoder, do you really not know what he means by "Scontrol"? Really?

dkcoder
2009-06-30, 05:12
That is correct, I do not know what SControl is. Is it the same as SlimControl, or is it the SqueezeController, or something else entirely? That's why I asked what it was.
Really.

mertles
2009-07-01, 15:25
Downloaded SlimControl last night and I'm very impressed - running on an old T-Mobile MDA with 3000+ artists and the speed is exceptional. Have only played around it for an hour or so far but have a few suggestions before I forget them:

1. A shuffle button (next to the repeat button) on the playlist screen would be nice. Can I shuffle from elsewhere at the moment?

2. The three buttons for adding/inserting etc. to the playlist are intuitive I thought and are perfectly good.

3. It would be nice if that after the very first time I select an artist it doesn't go off and fetch all 3000+ album details straight away, but recognises this is the first time I'd seleced an artist since loading so just goes and fetches the album details for that artist. Maybe go and get the rest of the album details after the software recognises I haven't touched it for a couple of minutes?

4. Love the touch scrolling, but like others I'm accidentally select songs etc. quite regularly. Is it possible to invisibly split the screen in half vertically, and have the left hand side for selecting and the right hand side for scrolling (with selecting disabled on the scrolling side).

Otherwise superb - love it!

Cheers, Paul

Locuth
2009-07-01, 16:48
1. A shuffle button (next to the repeat button) on the playlist screen would be nice. Can I shuffle from elsewhere at the moment?

Hey mertles
The shuffle button is implemented in version 0.96 which is coming up.
I need some beta testers actually.

2. The three buttons for adding/inserting etc. to the playlist are intuitive I thought and are perfectly good.

Good, I was hoping people would find them intuitive.

3. It would be nice if that after the very first time I select an artist it doesn't go off and fetch all 3000+ album details straight away, but recognises this is the first time I'd seleced an artist since loading so just goes and fetches the album details for that artist. Maybe go and get the rest of the album details after the software recognises I haven't touched it for a couple of minutes?

Yeah, you're right.
I will try and have Slimcontrol skip the complete loading, when you
select albums of a particular artist. (or artists for a particular genre)
BTW, v.0.96 caches all that album, artist, genre information.

4. Love the touch scrolling, but like others I'm accidentally select songs etc. quite regularly. Is it possible to invisibly split the screen in half vertically, and have the left hand side for selecting and the right hand side for scrolling (with selecting disabled on the scrolling side).

Good idea, I'll consider it.

bernt
2009-07-02, 02:49
How do I replace the current playlist? I only manage to add tracks to the playlist and if there is no playlist loaded and I load a new list I have to go to the main screen and hit play.

I don't have the green play button. It was there in 0.92.

SonyEricsson Experia. Slimcontrol 0.95.

Kind Regards
/Bernt

EDIT: Sorry.

Originally Posted by Muele

rickwookie
2009-07-02, 10:42
The shuffle button is implemented in version 0.96 which is coming up.
I need some beta testers actually.

As always, I'd be happy to thoroughly test any beta you have. Aren't these all beta versions so far though? ;-)

arztde
2009-07-02, 11:12
As always, I'd be happy to thoroughly test any beta you have. Aren't these all beta versions so far though? ;-)

I hope other beta testers do help Sebastian as a respect and honor to help him with a thing no programmer or developer like realy. Its to write a lovely manual. Maybee my ideas are realy not good i did posted in the 0.95 thread.

Locuth
2009-07-02, 14:31
How do I replace the current playlist? ...
I don't have the green play button. It was there in 0.92.

So, you didn't find the three buttons to 'Replace' 'Add' 'Insert' tracks into the playlist self-explanatory?

I did spend quite some time pondering over an 'Insert' button that follows the same design-guidelines as the '+' and '>' buttons in version 0.92.
But I found nothing I liked.

The three new buttons are my idea of a decent & consistent design.
I guess many people are simply very much used to the SqueezeCenter functionality/design.

pippin
2009-07-02, 14:56
I did spend quite some time pondering over an 'Insert' button that follows the same design-guidelines as the '+' and '>' buttons in version 0.92.

So you don't use the one SqueezeCenter uses (|>|)?

arztde
2009-07-02, 15:38
maybee its time for you to buy a cheep win mobile pda to test. you are the more lucky one. it is more cheap as for sebastian to buy a ipod

pippin
2009-07-02, 16:22
maybee its time for you to buy a cheep win mobile pda to test. you are the more lucky one. it is more cheap as for sebastian to buy a ipod

Actually I thought about it.

bernt
2009-07-02, 22:54
So, you didn't find the three buttons to 'Replace' 'Add' 'Insert' tracks into the playlist self-explanatory?

The three new buttons are my idea of a decent & consistent design.
I guess many people are simply very much used to the SqueezeCenter functionality/design.

I found how it works a few posts back. Sorry.
Works very well. Thanks.

mec02
2009-07-03, 07:57
Hi Locuth

i'm new in this board and i'm testing SlimControl 0.95. It's a very nice program. Arztde shows it me.
regards
MEC

arztde
2009-07-03, 08:44
Hi Locuth

i'm new in this board and i'm testing SlimControl 0.95. It's a very nice program. Arztde shows it me.
I'm missing two features:
- a minimize button
- a solution to browse in the musicfolder because ma tags aren't very good.

I can test the 0.96 beta for you on my MDA Touch (HTC Touch).

regards
MEC

Hi mec02,
i hope you enjoy your new classic SB and the time of suffer with the Popcorn Hour is soon away.
ad 1. the tip to minimize for 0.95 at the HTC is just to press the home button. It change in 0.96. I did post in German thread a screenshoot of another Minimize Solution, just to minimize with a little navigation bar to have fast access.
ad 2. I did have a special fast hack for folders from Sebastian... But still to much buggy. But was a fast hack only.

As far i know Sebastian meanwhile he only release if you nearly find no more bugs.

@Sebastian
Maybee you meet Pippin in Berlin this weekend to interchange each others application live?

Locuth
2009-07-06, 16:24

Hey Pippin,

I used to have a 'play now' and 'add to PL' button like the green icons shown here:
http://sc.sciatec.de/SlimControl/Doku_Pic9.jpg

Now I have an additional 'insert into PL' button and a different design for all three buttons, ...like so: (3rd screenshot)
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=432463&postcount=1

bernt
2009-07-09, 00:34
Hi!

In SC I have
Group Compilations together.
List album by name.
Treat TPE2 as albumartist.

and it behaves as expected in SC and on my SB but in Slimcontrol Compilations are not grouped together.

Is something wrong or is it planned for a later release?

Slimcontrol 0.95 on SonyEricsson Experia.

Kind Regards
/Bernt

Locuth
2009-07-09, 07:56
bernt - I'll have to check that behaviour.
And let you know as soon as I find the time.

Ge0rge
2009-07-16, 04:39
Hi Sebastian,

Happy to say I discovered your app, installed it with ease on a HTC Touch, and got it working without any real drama.

Only real feedback is that it would be nice to have a little more guidance in the manual around some of the setup options, namely the "Music Server" entry. Perhaps because I don't actually have a SqueezeBox yet and am only using SoftSqeeze it was less obvious (or perhaps it's just a lack of coffee) - but it took me a few attempts before I figured out what was needed.
- I first tried the IP displayed in the browser for SqueezeCenter, nope
- I then checked in SoftSqeeze for settings, it had the same IP, no good
- Then I noticed the "Login" check box, so I tried entering my SqueezeCenter login, no good.

Finally I realised I just needed the IP of PC it's all running on.

No big deal, wasted 10 minutes... but thought it my be worth a line in the manual for anyone else trying to configure with SoftSqueeze first.

Oh and last thing - took me a couple of 'plays' to figure out how the 3 buttons for adding / inserting to the play-list, I've seen the recent threads and once I got it figured out I think the buttons are good - but your manual still only has the old 2 buttons listed.

Cheers!

Locuth
2009-07-16, 12:36
Hi Sebastian,
- I first tried the IP displayed in the browser for SqueezeCenter, nope
Cheers!

GeOrge, the IP displayed in the browser, was it 127.0.0.1 or 'localhost' ?
Because otherwise that IP would be the one to use in SlimControl

.. once I got it figured out I think the buttons are good - but your manual still only has the old 2 buttons listed.
Cheers!

Yes the manual needs a lot of updating, thatnks for reminding me

Ge0rge
2009-07-16, 14:39
[QUOTE=Locuth;441165]GeOrge, the IP displayed in the browser, was it 127.0.0.1 or 'localhost' ?
Because otherwise that IP would be the one to use in SlimControl

It was 127.0.0.1 - but that didn't work. I had to use the IP of the PC it's all installed on - which on my home network was 192.168.1.102 (or something similar).

Weird?

Locuth
2009-07-16, 21:22
It was 127.0.0.1 - but that didn't work. I had to use the IP of the PC it's all installed on

Weird?
No, not so weird.
The IP of your PC is 192.168.1.102 and that's of course the one to use.
127.0.0.1 is not really an IP address but the loopback address, i.e. 'this computer'. It always resolves to the PC it was issued on.

I will put a note on that into the manual.

deriksen
2009-07-21, 23:43
Hi,

Any chance of us seeing a 320x320 version anytime soon. Would love to test this on my Samsung i780 (win mob 6.1)

/D

Locuth
2009-07-22, 00:19
Hi,
Any chance of us seeing a 320x320 version anytime soon. Would love to test this on my Samsung i780 (win mob 6.1)
/D

Yes, definitely.
There have been lots of requests for 320x320

Cheers

joeinbend
2009-07-31, 17:14
Hi all,
I recently started using SqueezeBox, and am not able to get the SlimControl to connect to my server. Here's my setup:

Squeezebox Server 7.3.3 is running on Ubuntu Server 8.04. Clients are all the SoftSqueeze Java-based client, and they are working correctly. I have 3 PC's successfully sync'ed together.

For my remote, I am using an IPAQ hx2795b with Windows Mobile 5.0 (OS 5.1.1702 build 14366.1.0.1). I have the newest version of the remote software. I am able to put in the IP of my server, hit Test, and it says that it successfully sees my server. When I am at the main screen, the top status bar just says "Connecting to (ip of my server)" indefinitely. The green connection icon to its' right is lit. I should also add that I have verified that the PDA can get out to the internet, and any of my internal resources, and as stated above, the Test in the settings works.

Any suggestions on what I can try to get it going?

Thanks!

joeinbend
2009-07-31, 17:30
For some reason, after registering it, everything fell into place. all is well! Fantastic software!!

Locuth
2009-07-31, 17:40
For some reason, after registering it, everything fell into place. all is well! Fantastic software!!
Great.

But it should not have anything to do with the registration.
Might it be, that restarting SlimControl did the trick ?
Have you restarted it before registering?

DeeJayRy
2009-08-07, 02:44
Great work Locuth I've been looking for somthing like this for ages, and it does just about everything i want it to do.

i only have a few issues, the first is support for higher resolution displays, i have a HTC Touch HD which has a resolution of 480 x 800, i understand that this is somthing you are planning on doing soon as you have the appropriate developer tools, which i will happily give a donation to help raise any costs. Can you tell me what the ETA of this is?

the other issue i have is when using internet radio, primarily i only use shoutcast as my internet radio, but it seems there are a couple of bugs in the way shoutcast is handled.

firstly in the "more radio/shoutcast/all genres" list stops at the genre of "death" the search function within this list also stops at "death"
it would be nice to have a link for next page at the bottom and top of the list.

Also the "more radio/shoutcast/search" function does not apear to work, the screen shows the following:
---------------------------------
|Search |
---------------------------------
|Search query must be greater tha|
|text |
| |
| |

i have tried taping on several areas but get no keyboard popup.

Support for search is not somthing that i will use a lot, but it would be quite nice to have it functioning.

I also think it would be a nice idea for the user to be able to use the hardware or the normal onscreen keyboard instead of the compact keyboard you have included.

PS, can you point me to a page where i can make a donation?

Locuth
2009-08-07, 04:22
DeeJayRy

As of now there is now text-input in plugins

My todo list pretty much covers the things you mentioned.
You can see the list online: http://sc.sciatec.de/slimcontrol_work.shtml

All of theses things are implemented, they need some refinement and testing though. I was planning to release version 0.98 today, but things kept me away from home so it'll be probably monday next week.

I'll see if I can reproduce the issue you mentioned regarding 'death' :-)

pery
2009-09-08, 12:19
is ok. German heritage :)

Swedish (&aring; to speak HTML) is not. Nor is russian. (Well, I have just one Russian album, and can't read it anyway so is not much of a problem.)

This may have been disussed somewhere on the previous 23 pages. I have not read them all.

Edit: This is concerning text display, not input which was discussed in the previous posts!

Locuth
2009-09-08, 13:51
The new version will use unicode character encoding.
So it should cover pretty much all foreign characters.

And, yes, the German Umlaut characters were of course the first I'd support:-)
Stay tuned for the next version.

Cheers,
Sebastian

Chris Moore
2009-09-14, 08:24
Hi,

for your roadmap (as per our email discussion):

1) Support for 800x480.
2) Predictive search - can't think of the correct name for the search mechanism, but as used in the contacts screen of SPB Mobile Shell.
3) The ability to switch the player off.

Excellent so far... one day in.

Cheers,
Chris.

Locuth
2009-09-14, 08:49
Hey Chris

480x800 is being tested.
Can you explain a little more about the 'predictive' part of the predictive search. I have an idea, but don't know whether that's what you want.

As to the player power, maybe something like below ?

Chris Moore
2009-09-14, 09:32
Looks perfect.

Actually meaning to dig out an old Dell Axim x50v that must be in a draw somewhere to try that with it too running at 640x480.

The predictive text works by searching for any character mapped to the key in any part of the list text.

So on a standard phone keypad a single press of the number 2 button matches anything with a, b or c. The letters are then sequential so a press of 8 would add t, u and v to the search string giving pattern matching for:

at, au, av, bt, bu, bv, ct, cu and cv.

Therefore within a few key presses you can match to a very short list.

deriksen
2009-09-14, 10:39
Any recent development of 320x320?

/D

Locuth
2009-09-14, 10:45
Yes, unfortunately SC will not work with 320x320.
It does not properly recognize that screen.

Eventually I will switch to another dev-environment which supports WM5x and WM6x natively. But not too soon.

Many thanks again to DeWayne who helped me figure things out.

nhannidog
2009-09-23, 12:14
Yes, unfortunately SC will not work with 320x320.
It does not properly recognize that screen.

Eventually I will switch to another dev-environment which supports WM5x and WM6x natively. But not too soon.

Many thanks again to DeWayne who helped me figure things out.

Locuth,
Does your app require a particular processor? Or just Window Mobile 2003 or newer? Can you summarize the screen resolutions that 1) presently work and 2) you are working on?

Tnx, looks like a very cool app!

David

Locuth
2009-09-24, 15:24
It requires WM 2003 or anything higher.
Only ARM processors (or derivates like PXA).

Already with the advent of WM 2003, most devices were ARM equipped.

Supported screen res: 240x320 & 480x640 (portrait)
Version 1.0 will also support:
240x240 & 240x400 & 480x800 (portrait and landscape)

Chris Moore
2009-11-03, 07:18
Hi,

how is the development going so far? Its been a couple of months and so I was curious about how 0.98 is progressing???

Is this tracked on another thread?

Cheers,
Chris.

Locuth
2009-11-03, 07:26
Thanks for asking.
It's going rather well. I intend to upload 1.0 beta later this evening.

There are several new features.
SQ.Center player settings and alarms.
A better looking Miniplayer/Multiplayer view.
A context menu in the current playlist.

Right now I am implementing a smoother Standby-wakeup scheme
I'll be posting some more later.

Leahcim
2009-11-03, 09:22
Thanks for asking.
It's going rather well. I intend to upload 1.0 beta later this evening.

There are several new features.
SQ.Center player settings and alarms.
A better looking Miniplayer/Multiplayer view.
A context menu in the current playlist.

Right now I am implementing a smoother Standby-wakeup scheme
I'll be posting some more later.

Will the beta be available from your web?

/Mike

Locuth
2009-11-03, 09:23
Yes.

deriksen
2009-11-03, 11:43
On your site you refer to 320x320 as a new feature in 0.98. Since you're releasing 1.0 beta, does that mean you've added 320x320 support?

/D

Locuth
2009-11-03, 12:03
Unfortunately 320x320 is the one thing that never worked out right.
I've made several attempts in 0.98 to properly handle 320x320 screens.
Plus I implemented a new GUI layout.

But SControl does not recognize this resolution.
Thanks for reminding me of the 0.98 release note.

Locuth
2009-11-03, 15:44
Hello guys

SlimControl 1.0 beta is online and ready for you.
Be kind if you discover any bugs - I'll fix them.

As to the usability - I'd like to give three important hints:

1. Whenever you are in a list (players, current playlist, albums, etc.)
Swipe-right on the list to go 'back', if applicable.

2. The player-list can be closed by swiping-right (as there is no 'back' really^^)
Cklicking anywhere outside the list closes it too.

3. The current playlist (now playing screen) displays 30 items at a time.
You can navigate back and forth by swiping-right/left. The two somewhat ugly arrow-buttons at the bottom do the same.
Cklicking anywhere outside the list closes it.

Oh, and a 4th hint.
The current playlist has context-menu that you access via tap&hold.

=== Edit ===========
To those of you who haven't worked with/registered version 0.98:
You have to re-register. However the registration requires no more emailing.
Instead you'll get a key right from the online registration form that opens in your browser.
Copy & paste that into the key-field in SlimControl.

You open the online registration form by clicking on the blue hyperlink in the SControl registration dialog.

I am humbly awaiting your feedback.
Cheers
Sebastian

================================================== ======
Registration Counter:
58 Users have registered for SlimControl 0.98 / 1.0 beta

spumanti
2009-11-04, 01:38
Hi Sebastian.

Sorry, have been out of touch for some time now. I have been moving, and everything here is still a big mess. So I have not had any time to look at the manual.

In the meantime i see that lots of new things have happened, It is a very sexy upgrade for your software there :)

Everything seems to be running very smooth.

In the short time i have been testing it, I only found 2 minor things (really only cosmetic at this point);

- in settings > Music server settings:
The green square with a V in it is halfway out of the window frame. Its still possible to use, though.

- main player window:
When playing all songs from one artist, the first piece of album-art is always shown, even if playing a song from another album by the same artist.
It would be nice if the correct piece of album art was lifted to the front, or if the album art slided out, to show the currently playing album art.

Very nice with the feature to synchronize players (music / volume).

This software just keeps getting better :)

Oh, and a little requst:
Would it be possible to integrate an option to create a MusicIP mix from a song / artist / album, when browsing the music collection? -that would be an awesome addition.

Cheers
David

Locuth
2009-11-04, 03:56
Hey spumanti

Yes, it's been some time. I hope all is going well for you and your girl.
Thanks for the notes. I'll look into that.

- in settings > Music server settings
The green 'square' at the top-right:
Do you have a scrollbar overlapping it ?

- main player window:
you mean, the coverflow does not scroll to the currently playing album?

I don't recall your screen size,
maybe you can add it to you previous post.

Cheers
Sebastian

spumanti
2009-11-04, 04:25
Oh, yes...
My device is a HTC diamond, resolution 480 x 640

I attached some "manual screenshots" as i cant seem to get my phone to make proper screenshots!

I have just tested the album art again.

When i add all albums from one artist to a playlist, and start playing, then when a song from the next album is played, it still shows album art from the first album, and it will keep showing that.
I can of course scroll in the album art to see the right cover, but it would be nice if it did that automatically.
The same goes, if it's a playlist with random artists. It will show the album art from the first known album by that artist, even if the song playing is from a different album by that artist.
It does change the album art, when changing artist.
(hope my explaining makes sense :) )

Locuth
2009-11-04, 04:40
Your explanations make total sense :-)

I found the cause of the cover-problem and fixed it.
I also fixed the green checkbox

I will maintain a list of reported bugs and their status here:
http://sc.sciatec.de/slimcontrol_work.shtml

I will probably also put a set of reference screenshots on the page.
So new users know what SControl is supposed to like like and if buttons are missing on their device.

Window Mopbile is damn diverse!

Muele
2009-11-04, 13:52
Hi
I have tested the 1.0b a bit and it looks really good.
Album art is a bit slow, but that may be caused by a slow phone and/or server. HTC TYTN (1)/WinxpSp3 on a 800mhz.

One thing that bugs me a little os the rightswipe. To me a left-swipe would feel much more natural. By the way I use it lefthanded. Other than that it works really well. Good work over all. I hope you will succeed in setting up some sort of business around this fine product.

BR Mogens

NikolajC
2009-11-04, 14:24
Excellent update Sebastian. Will be testing some more for the next few weeks. Congrats on a great program.