PDA

View Full Version : Is my SB3 dead?



craigim
2009-04-15, 10:03
I've got a squeezebox 3 connected via ethernet cable to a Mac Mini. The SqueezeCenter status reports the following information about my system:

Version: 7.3.2 - 24695 @ Tue Jan 20 07:06:41 PST 2009
Operating system: Mac OS X 10.5.6 (9G55) - EN - utf8
Platform Architecture: x86
Perl Version: 5.8.8 - darwin-thread-multi-2level
MySQL Version: 5.0.22-standard

I've been running without problems for years, and with the current configuration for several months. Without changing anything about my system (no updates, no hardware changes, I haven't even added any music in a while), the audio suddenly changed to loud static. The display works and claims that my track is playing (although the VU meter is flat). If I try to play a track using SoftSqueeze on my PC, the audio comes through fine.

Since SoftSqueeze is working, it seems to me that the server must be fine. I looked at the log, and there aren't any playback errors. I'm not sure where to start troubleshooting past the obvious software checks.

Is my SB3 dead? Do I need to just reinstall the server? Is there anything I can do to test the hardware? If it is a hardware problem, is it likely something I can fix myself? Can it get repaired? Do I have a $300 weather forecasting paperweight?

[Edit]: Forgot to add that I get the same static if I try to play something through Squeezenetwork.

Millwood
2009-04-15, 11:00
Have you tried both resets -

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Hardware_Reset_commands

If all else fails, you can have the SB3 repaired. When I had it done, it was IIRC $90 flat rate. Check with support.

toby10
2009-04-15, 11:06
I'd try a full reboot first (computer, player, router).

If that doesn't fix it I'd try a Factory Reset:
Unplug power, press and hold down the add (+) button on the remote, plug power back in (whilst continuing to hold down the add button)
+ = factory reset
Note: Factory Reset requires you re-load your players Firmware (hold Brightness button after the player completely re-boots)

And if that doesn't work I'd try a Xilinx Chip Reset:
Unplug power, press and hold down the one (1) button on the remote, plug power back in (whilst continuing to hold down the one button)
1 = Xilinx

EDIT: Or just read Millwood's referenced wiki. :)

craigim
2009-04-15, 22:01
The factory reset worked!

I had found the top level of the troubleshooting wiki, but I failed to see that the Squeezebox 3 had been renamed the Squeezebox Classic. I thought my SB3 had either fallen through the cracks or the wiki page was simply too new to have the info I needed.

Thanks again!