PDA

View Full Version : Netbook to control SB3

audio53
2009-04-14, 13:04
Is anybody using a netbook to control their SB3? I am currently using a SB Controller to control my SB3, but I think having the larger screen of a netbook at my listening chair running SC would be nice.

My SB3 is currently hardwired via CAT5 to a desktop PC running SC. This PC has a second drive that contains my music library. Could I take a netbook that is wirelessly connected to my network, run SC on it and access the drive on the desktop PC? How would I point SC on the netbook to a drive on the desktop PC? Is this the right approach?

Thanks.
Bob

snarlydwarf
2009-04-14, 13:15
Is anybody using a netbook to control their SB3? I am currently using a SB Controller to control my SB3, but I think having the larger screen of a netbook at my listening chair running SC would be nice.

I do sometimes, using my baby Acer Aspire One running Debian...

My SB3 is currently hardwired via CAT5 to a desktop PC running SC. This PC has a second drive that contains my music library. Could I take a netbook that is wirelessly connected to my network, run SC on it and access the drive on the desktop PC? How would I point SC on the netbook to a drive on the desktop PC? Is this the right approach?

You don't need to install SC on the netbook, and probably don't want to.

Just start your web browser and go to http://192.168.1.2:9000/ ... where 192.168.1.2 is replaced by the IP number of your server.

Depending on your networking, you may even be able to get away with putting the 'server name' there.

I have found the 'default' skin is a bit constrained strained on the small display, and usually use fishbone (add 'fishbone' to the end of the url above) which deals a bit better with small screens. 'classic' may work for you, too.

bklaas
2009-04-14, 13:38

Thanks.
Bob

What snarlydwarf said. You don't need to run SC on a netbook, just point your netbook's browser at your desktop PC's SC web interface as he described. From your description, that's all that you really need.

FWIW, I often run SC 7.4 on a dell mini 9 netbook without issue.

cheers,
#!/ben

Goodsounds
2009-04-14, 15:28
Give your desktop PC (the one running SC) a fixed IP address on your network. Then as described above, enter that address just once in a browser on the netbook you use to control SC remotely. Bookmark the address, and then you can go back to it repeatedly without remembering what to type in. Reboot the server, or the network, or lose power, and the IP address for the SC server will remain unchanged and the bookmarked address will continue to work.