PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox Receiver

youlong
2009-04-13, 06:14
Can I use the Squeezebox Receiver alone to play music from my computer to my stereo wirelessly after installing the necessary software (SqueezeCenter)? In other words, do I need any other equipment or devices besides a Squeezebox Receiver, my computer's wireless LAN transmitter, and my stereo (receiver and speakers) to play MP3 files from my computer on my stereo? Thanks for your help.

funkstar
2009-04-13, 06:19
Officially, you need a Controller to get your Reciever connected to your wireless network and the PC running SqueezeCenter.

However there is an app that gets round this. This is not supported by Logitech, but help is given on these forums.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=57861&highlight=netudap

Alternatively, you could borrow a Controller if you knew someone with one. After setup is complete, you can controll the Reciever from the SqueezeCenter web interface.

Mnyb
2009-04-13, 06:33
Or you could buy a SB Classic aka SB3 (or SB2 ) new or used.
It is a better choice for a standalone player, display and ir-remote for example.
Don't be fooled that that the SBR is the "new" product and SB classic the "old" product, these are very thin clients (slim devices ).

Most of the power is in the SqueezeCenter software and SqueezeNetwork, which is under constant development. The very old players slimp3 and SB1 can have limitations compared the to the never breed.

funkstar
2009-04-13, 06:46
Don't be fooled that that the SBR is the "new" product and SB classic the "old" product, these are very thin clients (slim devices ).
Actually, to go one step further, the Reciever is really just a stripped down SB3 without a display or support for an IR remote.

Also hardware wise, the SB2 is also identical to the SB3/Classic, just in a different case.

This page from the Wiki may be of use: http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/HardwareComparison

egd
2009-04-13, 07:59
and just to clarify, once you have it up and running as described above there's nothing stopping you controlling SC wirelessly using an iPod Touch or iPhone combined with iPeng. Beats the crap out of the Controller as a remote.