PDA

View Full Version : Weird Windows Vista question: Duplicated Music folder

gabe01
2009-04-12, 11:36
Okay, so I don't know exactly when this started, I just noticed it today when trying to clean out my computer.

About 2 weeks ago, I transferred all of my MP3s from one computer to my current one. I just noticed that now I have TWO Music Folders. They have the exact same directory listings, exact same contents, and whatever action is taken on folder appears to also happen to the other folder. So if I delete a file on one folder, it deletes in the other one.

If you look at my C:\Users\(myname)\ , you'll see two Music folders.

I have NO idea how this happened, but the only adverse effect of this seems to be that the amount of space my music takes up on my computer is duplicated.

******Update: I remembered that my Tivo recordings folder is in here, too, which accounts for a lot of the data. Still doesn't explain the duplication, though! You can ignore this last paragraph!**********I don't know that this is related at all, but the size of both folders appears to be extremely large...it's 43.0 GB for 2,753 files, almost all of which are standard size MP3 files. A spot check of my many sub-folders shows them all to be about the expected size (about 50-75 MB per album), so I can't tell at this point where all the extra data is hiding.*******

I'm hoping someone can help to shed some light on this??? Thanks!

wholelottaled
2009-04-12, 13:01
I have vista 64 Bit Edition and I only have 1 music folder...

GlenL
2009-04-12, 13:28
Sounds like one of your music 'folders' is really a shortcut to the real music folder.
That would explain why actions appear duplicated between both folders.

gabe01
2009-04-13, 17:42
Sounds like one of your music 'folders' is really a shortcut to the real music folder.
That would explain why actions appear duplicated between both folders.

That's what I thought, too, except that selecting both folders or files from those folders doubles the total amount of data selected. So if I'm in the root directory and I select one Music folder, it says I've selected 43.0 GB. If I then select the other one, it says I've selected 86.0 GB. It it were just a shortcut, does it make sense to do that?