PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 Plugins?

justpete
2009-04-10, 18:50
Hi Everyone! I'm new to Squeezebox. (absolutely love it) I had a look through the plugin nominations, but there are very few descriptions. So, I was wondering, what's everyone's top 5 plug-ins? If you could list what they do, and why we need them, that'd be awesome. Also, if they're free or come at a cost. That would go a long way to help us n00bies. :)

iPhone
2009-04-10, 19:43
Hi Everyone! I'm new to Squeezebox. (absolutely love it) I had a look through the plugin nominations, but there are very few descriptions. So, I was wondering, what's everyone's top 5 plug-ins? If you could list what they do, and why we need them, that'd be awesome. Also, if they're free or come at a cost. That would go a long way to help us n00bies. :)

What a great idea for a post! Most if not all plugins are free. All one has to do is download and turn them on. Some are even included in SC so all one has to do is go into setting in SC and enable them.

I know a Poll can be setup, I never looked to see if this Forum has a Vote module.

So I will just state my number one plugin. I really like the iPeng and Last.FM plugin.

matthijskoopmans
2009-04-10, 19:54
in no particular order (as i don't want to miss any of these):

Custom Browse
Custom Scan
Last.FM
iPeng
MusicIP

justpete
2009-04-10, 20:00
in no particular order (as i don't want to miss any of these):

Custom Browse
Custom Scan
Last.FM
iPeng
MusicIP

What's the coles notes on what they do? :)

iPhone
2009-04-10, 20:08
What's the coles notes on what they do? :)

Oops, sorry about that. There are some balloon info i's on some of them and if you go to the Slim Devices Wiki under Community at the top of the page there is info on plugins and what they do.

Mostly the name of the Plugin tells what its for. As the Super Date & Time plugin gives one many useful options on displaying Date and Date.

justpete
2009-04-10, 21:03
Haha. This is awesome. I can now fully control by Squeezebox with my BlackBerry Storm!!

I've also installed a few plugins: Superdate, custombrowse, CDPlay, and couple of others. Love it!

No one else has a top 5!?

Chunkywizard
2009-04-10, 23:20
It's hard to limit to 5 ;D See my sig for ones I use, but if you rate your music in iTunes (as I do) then you need TrackStat and Custom Scan. Music Information Screen is invaluable if you want to change the display of your Squeezebox and SQL Playlist and Dynamic Playlists are great for 'Smart' playlist creation. Oh and SettingsManager is a must if you have more than one Squeezebox. Whoops, that's 6!

CW

Nonreality
2009-04-11, 01:09
Let's see??

Lazy Search: replaces the SC search, easy and fast.
Music IP and SpiceFly: Makes intelligent playlists and Spicefly uses Music Ip to pick song after song for continuous play.
Ipeng: Squeeze Center remote control for Iphones and Touch.
Status First: Such a simple idea and one that should be standard. If you hit shuffle, repeat or on the remote it shows you the status instead of changing them.
Biography and AlbumReview (kind of the same, same author anyway) Self explanatory but uses All Music Guide for the info.
Ok that was 7 but in a way 5 so I'm leaving some good ones off for others to mention. :) All free btw, but donations are usually accepted.

MeSue
2009-04-11, 08:41
I was wondering, what's everyone's top 5 plug-ins? If you could list what they do, and why we need them, that'd be awesome.

My opinion hasn't changed since I posted in this thread from last November: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=54470

exile
2009-04-11, 09:05
all of the plugins that have been developed for the squeeze family are a wonderful addition but I think honorable mention must go to the Erland collection of plugins:

trackstat
sql playlist
custom browse
custom scan

all of these together have completely changed how I listen to my music collection as well as how much better the listening experience is. thanks erland.

sander
2009-04-11, 10:23
I had to give up on a bunch of plugins to combat delays in an original Squeezebox unit I picked up, but there are still some great ones.

2 Classics:

Lazy Search. Its really relegated to the Squeezebox classic series, but it has helped me a great deal over the years.
SuperDateTime. The first thing I set up when I got my SB3, hopefully a duet screensaver version will be out sometime in the near future.

2 Marvelous additions which showcase the flexibility of the system:

Other players, which enables you to control other players from the remote on whichever unit you're using. Awesome.

Auto Dim Display. A niche plugin which enables you to dim the display at a specific time of day. I use it to blackout the boom during the middle of the night, which really showcases the cool things you can do with a super high end alarm clock.

1 collection helper:

FindArt which can search Amazon for music covers for albums in your library. It was always helpful, but jumped to a new level with 2.0b which can search for songs that aren't currently playing and allows you to customize the search.

There are a bunch of others MusicSCR for my Boom box shot, Sugarcube to assist MusicIP and a bunch others of course.

justpete
2009-04-11, 11:45
FindArt which can search Amazon for music covers for albums in your library. It was always helpful, but jumped to a new level with 2.0b which can search for songs that aren't currently playing and allows you to customize the search.

Is there a "bulk" album art collection lookup plugin? Most of mine are wrong, even though I have them in Itunes.. and most of them seem to default to an Amy Winehouse cover. (not sure why!?)

GeeJay
2009-04-11, 20:16
Erland's plug-ins would fill up most of my top 5. Trackstat, SQLPlaylist and Custom Skip have allowed me to customize random playlists exactly as I had hoped they would when I first considered purchasing a SB.

pippin
2009-04-12, 02:55
I really NEED around 10:

AutoRescan (Linux only) - my single most important plugin, it automatically keeps my library up to date
CD Player - Removes a piece of hardware from my audio stack
TrackStat - Mainly for rating support
CustomBrowse - I need a way to separate Audio Books from the rest of my library.
Biography and Album Review - Get Information on an Artist or an Album (I mainly use Biography since I tend to somewhat know my albums)
Lyrics - Does what it says.
SpiceFly SugarCube and MusicIP with Dynamic Playlists - automated mixes. Only two plugins since MusicIP is part of SC :-) Not sure if you also need SQLPlaylists for this. Anyway, while I love SugarCube for it's mixes I hate it always starting to play on any track so I use it through Dynamic Playlists.
iPeng - Playback on iPhone. Well, the app is an Application, not a plugin and I admit I use the application 90% of the time now and the plugin only if I need playback on the iPhone.