PDA

View Full Version : [ANNOUNCE] iPeng 1.1 now on the AppStore

pippin
2009-04-08, 12:39
Finally :-)
Now (or, depending on where you are, during the next hours) available on the AppStore

I'm happy to announce the availability of iPeng 1.1, the second "major" release of iPeng, your ultimate Squeezebox™ remote.

While the 1.0.x releases were mainly focusing on bug fixes and minor enhancements, iPeng 1.1 will bring some more fundamental changes:
iPeng goes SqueezeNetwork

Long awaited by those of you who don't operate their own serveAccess SqueezeNetworkr or don't want to run it 24/7, iPeng now also offers access to SqueezeNetwork. Just "swipe right" on the "NowPlaying" home screen and you will find it on the MultiPlayer Control along with any servers you might have. There is also a new button for each player that will connect or disconnect that player from SqueezeNetwork.
What does SqueezeNetwork offer with iPeng?

iPeng will support the full functionality of SqueezeNetwork, that is: Play internet radio, podcasts and music services, manage your favorites, and control your players. You will also be able to set alarms and this brings us to the second big change in iPeng 1.1...
Plugin Support

iPeng 1.1 offers support for the SqueezePlay menu system which allows it to support a lot of functionality as it would show up on a Squeezebox™ Controller or a SqueezePlay software player.
iPeng 1.1 Main Menu with Plugins

This open up iPeng to a lot of internal SqueezeCenter features that were not yet supported: Alarms, Sleep, Browse by Years, Random Mix, TrackInfo Details,... almost everything offered by SqueezeCenter will now be controllable on iPeng.

Yet it's not limited to that, because using this interface, iPeng also has access to 3rd party plugins, so now you can define your own library queries using CustomBrowse, browse by statistics using TrackStat, get background information using Biography or Album Review, build custom mixes using MusicIP, it's a whole world...
Performance Improvements

"Oh my, iPeng was such a nice app, now with all these new features it's growing fat and slow..."

No!

It doesn't, the opposite is true. iPeng's internals have been completely re-done and use a faster protocol now but also, thanks to great support from Logitech we have been able to make iPeng cooperate better with recent versions of SqueezeCenter so if you use SC 7.3.2 or newer, iPeng will offer some notable performance improvements:

* Much faster loading of large databases. Our benchmark in the beta phase was for remote(!) access to a huge database with 247.000 tracks and 24.000 albums, iPeng was synchronizing this database in under 6 minutes! A small database with < 2.000 albums should load well below one minute. Note: This may also depend on your server; iPeng can not make up for slow server performance.

iPeng synchronizing album cache

* iPeng now supports SqueezeCenter's list sorting. This is not only a speed improvement but it also means that ALBUMSORT and ARTISTSORT tags or custom sort orders will be respected by iPeng. Your database will now show up in iPeng as it would in SqueezeCenter.
* New option to keep server connection open. This will allow you to get immediate access to your server once your iPhone comes out of standby without having to establish a server connection first. Note: this will use more power and can eventually drain your battery.

Along with these big changes, there's a lot of small improvements that make the iPeng experience more feature rich and streamlined. Just upgrade or get your iPeng now on the App Store and...

Have Fun!

See some pictures here:
http://penguinlovesmusic.de/2009/04/08/ipeng-11-is-ready-go-squeezenetwork/
and learn what's new here:
http://penguinlovesmusic.de/ipeng-application/how-to-use-the-ipeng-application/whats-new-in-11/

One thing I forgot:
If you like iPeng: How about leaving some friendly comments on the App Store?

If you don't like it, well, just forget about this ;-)

Chunkywizard
2009-04-08, 12:43
Wow, sounds fantastic! I love the idea of Plugin support. I was just about to download it but clicking apps store on my iPod Touch and it tells me my apps are up to date :-C I guess i'll have wait!

Cheers

CW

jvandervort
2009-04-08, 12:52
Not quite there yet on my app store... Hopefully it shows up pronto:)

Nonreality
2009-04-08, 12:55
...waiting patiently for my son to show up from school so I can steal his touch and upgrade...

pippin
2009-04-08, 12:56
Yes, it's not there on my App Store, too, but the confirmation by Apple is there and I see it in the App Store control panel, so just a matter of time :-)

nolan
2009-04-08, 13:00
Excellent, just upgraded (in the UK)

Looks good :)

Chunkywizard
2009-04-08, 13:06
Yep, I can see it now... off to play :-D

CW

Wirrunna
2009-04-08, 13:44
Its here in Oz (Australia). Will play with it while I eat my cornflakes.

Paul_B
2009-04-08, 14:01
Wow what an upgrade not really worthy of just a .1 release this should be version 2.0. Thank you

pippin
2009-04-08, 14:09
One thing I forgot:

If you don't like it, well, just forget this post ;-)

Nonreality
2009-04-08, 14:24
One thing I forgot:

If you don't like it, well, just forget this post ;-)

Can I add a comment if I already did on the original version?

pippin
2009-04-08, 14:30
Can I add a comment if I already did on the original version?

Yes. You can at least change it, and they have a new system where ratings are evaluated per release.

musicexpression
2009-04-08, 15:10
upgraded here at singapore. thanks.

Wirrunna
2009-04-08, 15:43
Finally :-)

iPeng 1.1 offers support for the SqueezePlay menu system which allows it to support a lot of functionality as it would show up on a Squeezebox™ Controller or a SqueezePlay software player.
iPeng 1.1 Main Menu with Plugins

This open up iPeng to a lot of internal SqueezeCenter features that were not yet supported: Alarms, Sleep, Browse by Years, Random Mix, TrackInfo Details,... almost everything offered by SqueezeCenter will now be controllable on iPeng.

OK, its early morning here in Australia and I'm a bit slow.
iPeng loads and the splash screen shows 1.1 in the bottom left corner. Extras shows Server Power Control and other extras, Artists Albums etc browse work fine, but how do I get the Squeezeplay menus?

pippin
2009-04-08, 15:50
OK, its early morning here in Australia and I'm a bit slow.
iPeng loads and the splash screen shows 1.1 in the bottom left corner. Extras shows Server Power Control and other extras, Artists Albums etc browse work fine, but how do I get the Squeezeplay menus?

Server Power Control is one, for example.
Everything under "Extras" and "Settings" (Except iPeng Settings) is a SqueezePlay menu, Years, TrackInfo and any other plugins you might have are SqueezePlay menus.

You may not immediately note them, some differences are sublte, the best indicator is when you see "inverted" icons in the title bar.

Anything on SqueezeNetwork is a SqueezePlay menu, SN doesn't support the "traditional" queries iPeng uses.

Actually the SP menu system is a way to push menus to the SB Controller (and now also iPeng) used by SC and plugins. ipeng still uses the "traditional" queries for it's own menus since they perform better and have more capability - the big advantage of the SP menus is, that they are more flexible.

You can learn more about the differences between iPeng 1.1 and 1.0 here:
http://penguinlovesmusic.de/ipeng-application/how-to-use-the-ipeng-application/whats-new-in-11/

And about the SqueezePlay menus here (Attention: technical stuff!!!):
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/SqueezeCenterSqueezePlayInterface

RalphO
2009-04-08, 15:56
I have just managed to download the update in the US.

I have Biography and Album Review on my server but I cannot see how to access them on ipeng.

Can some one advise?

pippin
2009-04-08, 16:02
I have just managed to download the update in the US.

I have Biography and Album Review on my server but I cannot see how to access them on ipeng.

Can some one advise?

Through TrackInfo (for a track).
Browse to a track and do a "Touch-And-Hold" on it or select the "TrackInfo" mode.
See also the first link in my last post.

It doesn't work from NowPlaying, yet. That will come in 1.2

Edit: And the pictures in Biography are one of the coolest features in iPeng 1.1 :-)

pippin
2009-04-08, 16:16
Oh, and before I forget about it:

iPeng 1.1 has an "unofficial feature" I'm not going to announce.
It may be against Apple's HIG although it has been requested A LOT by iPeng's users.
Hint: it's NOT CoverFlow.

ptrainer
2009-04-08, 16:42

It may be against Apple's HIG although it has been requested A LOT by iPeng's users.

LLLOOOOVE the unofficial feature! (guess I should since I was one of those requesters) Bloody fantastic pippin... Thanks!

...oh and thanks for the chronological artist/album sort as well. Woo hoo!

Wirrunna
2009-04-08, 16:53
Well, I told you it was early in the morning in Oz, but the sun is up and I am now awake.
I've created a MusicIP mix and its playing now - I searched and selected an artist, then selected an album from that artist, then listed all songs for the album. Touch and hold a track and a new menu shows up with the track title at the top and a bunch of options including "Create MusicIP Mix >", tap the ">" and a mix is created with the option to Play this mix.
Is there another way ?
Also I pressed the iTouch buttons on the left side of the player with amazing results, very clever !

nmacfarl
2009-04-08, 17:06
I downloaded 1.1, and then I downloaded the new 2.2.1 ipod touch firmware.
Ipeng now dies when I start it. It starts up, then disappears. I have powered off the touch and restarted, same thing
Any ideas ?
I've used Ipeng since day one, seems odd.
Oh by the way I also did a resync with my touch on the Itunes windows app!!
Any ideas would be appreciated. Version 1.1 seemed to be working until I did the 2.2.1 upgrade

RalphO
2009-04-08, 17:13

I have found the unofficial feature. It's brilliant.

jvandervort
2009-04-08, 17:17
I play an album (queues the entire thing), add three random songs from
other albums, then try to remove some of the songs from the album I started with...crash.

Oh well:)

PRGeno
2009-04-08, 17:28
pippen,

Looks like you've been busy. Great work!

I have one odditie that I can't quite figure out.

Some of my players have a nice slider for volume control in the now playing screen. Other players have an odd up down arrow with a ramp volume display.

How can I get them all to have the same controls?

Thanks

nmacfarl
2009-04-08, 17:33
1.1 re-appears.
Well, I deleted the app from the ipod touch, managed to download it again and it seems to come up fine. Strange!!!

jhonsberger@msn.com
2009-04-08, 17:44
I must say Im a little confused about switching between Sn and Sc.

Each time I try to go from Sc to Sn by changing the music source its says
I must register but I am registered already.It will switch me to Sn but will say
player not found.Can Sn be controlled via ipeng? or am I missing a plugin
or something else that I need.

RalphO
2009-04-08, 18:14
1.1 re-appears.
Well, I deleted the app from the ipod touch, managed to download it again and it seems to come up fine. Strange!!!

I have just had the same experience. Deleting it and downloading it again worked to restore it. I am not sure what is going on.

Dave Strickler
2009-04-08, 19:07
(laugh) Now he has me playing with all the menus searching for it...

Dave Strickler
dave (AT) thestricklers (DOT) org

On Apr 8, 2009, at 8:13 PM, RalphO wrote:

>
> pippin;413927 Wrote:
>> Oh, and before I forget about it:
>>
>> iPeng 1.1 has an "unofficial feature" I'm not going to announce.
>> It may be against Apple's HIG although it has been requested A LOT by
>> iPeng's users.
>> Hint: it's NOT CoverFlow.
>
> I have found the unofficial feature. It's brilliant.
>
>
> --
> RalphO
>
> RalphO
> Transporter/Audio Research SP9/Bryston ST4/Magneplanar MG1.6QR
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> RalphO's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=3619
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=62245
>
>

pichonCalavera
2009-04-08, 19:33
Great release! Money well spent i can say. Thanks!

Altough I already found a bug. When I see the information of a song, and select the option of Show Artwork, I can see the album artwork just fine, but if I put my Ipod Touch in horizontal position, the image spins correctly, and when I tap the screen to return, the interface stays horizontaly, and the Now Playing screen looks akward.

pichonCalavera
2009-04-08, 19:40
(laugh) Now he has me playing with all the menus searching for it...

Dave Strickler

You won't find it in the menus :)

Aesculus
2009-04-08, 20:00
pippen,

Looks like you've been busy. Great work!

I have one odditie that I can't quite figure out.

Some of my players have a nice slider for volume control in the now playing screen. Other players have an odd up down arrow with a ramp volume display.

Thanks
Do you, or have you ever had IRBlaster installed with any of those players? Thats what causes the up/down arrows.

I had the same problem and did not know how to flush the player settings for my offending player so I ended up reinstalling SC to clear it up. Hopefully it will be easier for your to clean it out.

Edit: I had put in DBPoweramp instead of IRBlaster.

PRGeno
2009-04-08, 20:30
Do you, or have you ever had IRBlaster installed with any of those players? Thats what causes the up/down arrows.

I had the same problem and did not know how to flush the player settings for my offending player so I ended up reinstalling SC to clear it up. Hopefully it will be easier for your to clean it out.

Edit: I had put in DBPoweramp instead of IRBlaster.

I may have had IRBlaser enabeld at some point in time, but not that I remember on the couple players with this problem.

iPeng 1.05 on my iPod Touch doesn't show this problem, but iPeng 1.1 on my iPhone does.

Very odd. And it doesn't appear that I can control the volume on those two players (out of my 5) that have the problem.

pippin
2009-04-08, 23:15
I downloaded 1.1, and then I downloaded the new 2.2.1 ipod touch firmware.
Ipeng now dies when I start it. It starts up, then disappears. I have powered off the touch and restarted, same thing
Any ideas ?

Well, looks like iPeng 1.1 has some trouble with the old settings. I was not able to reproduce this, but that doesn't mean a lot.

As you've found out: Re-Installing seems to help. Another hint would be to try to start it up with in Airline mode/with WiFi disabled. Re-Starting it then after enabling communication again also sometimes seems to help (we had a similar issue in earlier updates as well).

I play an album (queues the entire thing), add three random songs from
other albums, then try to remove some of the songs from the album I started with...crash.

Oh well:)

Hm... Did you try to delete the currently playing song?
I am aware the current playlist is still a bit nasty. 1.2 will be all about cleaning up the NowPlaying screens.

As Aesculus already said, this has to do with IRBlaster. It is supposed to help IRBlaster users to still be able to use volume controls.

Unfortunately it looks like IRBlaster leaves it's settings in the preferences even when it's not activated. The problem here is, that iPeng just relies on the settings since there's no way to detect whether a plugin is enabled.

OK, here's how to get rid of this (in SC):
- Enable IRBlaster in "plugins" (or install it using the Extension Downloader)
- Go to the offending player's settings
- Select IR Blaster settings
- Remove any settings for "Volume Up"
- Press Apply

You may disable IRBlaster afterwards.

pippin
2009-04-08, 23:19
Oh, one more comment on the "unofficial feature":
Unfortunately this doesn't work as well as I had hoped for, that is, it will not work while the phone/iPod is suspended (display off). It helps to just press the button to wake it up, you don't have to disable the screen saver.

And a word of warning: You phone's ringtone (or whatever is active) volume will change, too! And don't get confused by the overlay's bar display, it's irrelevant and has no relation to the player volume.

pichonCalavera
2009-04-08, 23:22
As Aesculus already said, this has to do with IRBlaster. It is supposed to help IRBlaster users to still be able to use volume controls.

You may disable IRBlaster afterwards.

Yep, nice going. Now I can put my Amp remote away and control everything from the IPeng app.

mattybain
2009-04-09, 00:22
Pippin the SN handling of Napster is brilliant, browsing my Napster library is just like having a SC library.

However one small thing when I am creating a playlist I often change the add item icon (which is defaulted to play) to add and then just hold to add to the playlist. However when I go back to artists it defaults back to play. Would it be possible to leave it as add until I change it back to play myself?

Anyway great work, I will be leaving a glowing review on itunes.

mattybain
2009-04-09, 00:31
Quick question, is it possible to select shuffle for when playing Napster playlists? such functionality is available from the SB Remote and also the SN web interface.

Also would it be possible to have the Napster SN playlist display in it's entirity like it does on the SB Remoter?

pippin
2009-04-09, 00:50
However one small thing when I am creating a playlist I often change the add item icon (which is defaulted to play) to add and then just hold to add to the playlist. However when I go back to artists it defaults back to play. Would it be possible to leave it as add until I change it back to play myself?

Hm... New this was coming :-)
We had quite some discussions around this during the beta and actually I believe we missed out on the SN use case for this :-(
The issue is: in most other cases, you will often only use add in single menus so we decided it's easier if it always switches back.
There's also another issue: Since these menus are all provided by the server (not iPeng), they have different functionality and not all menus do have "add" or "add next" or it may have a different meaning (it's just a key mapping from the controller) so it's a bit tricky to find a logic on how to preserve the state.
iPeng 1.2 will get a "clutter options" menu with some more things to be configurable, could add that to the list, could you open a ticket?
https://trac.penguinlovesmusic.de/trac/ipengnat/wiki

Anyway great work, I will be leaving a glowing review on itunes.
Thank you :-)

Quick question, is it possible to select shuffle for when playing Napster playlists? such functionality is available from the SB Remote and also the SN web interface.

Err... Now this is something new:
You'll have to file that request to SN. iPeng just executes the commands and menus the server provides so if SN doesn't have the feature, iPeng will not have it, too. In this case, the feature has to be available for the Controller.
Or is there a way to do this on the Controller?

Also would it be possible to have the Napster SN playlist display in it's entirity like it does on the SB Remoter?

Same thing. iPeng shows it the same way as on the Controller.

Good thing is: You get more potential users for any change since it will also apply to SBC :-)

mattybain
2009-04-09, 01:16
Err... Now this is something new:
You'll have to file that request to SN. iPeng just executes the commands and menus the server provides so if SN doesn't have the feature, iPeng will not have it, too. In this case, the feature has to be available for the Controller.
Or is there a way to do this on the Controller?

Same thing. iPeng shows it the same way as on the Controller.

Ok I understand the logic behind the add/play, not ideal for my use but not a major thing.

Re the shuffle, this is available from Squeezenetwork either from the remote or the SN web interface. In fact I am listening to a shuffled Napster playlist now.

Re the playlist, the SB Remote shows the playlist so it's not quite true that ipeng shows it in the same way. The SB remotre lists my entire napster playlist, ipeng is just blank.

The playlist thing is just a tweak not a biggie but for me the shuffle is a bigger deal.

Nonreality
2009-04-09, 01:26
Ok so what does this button ~ do besides make the pause, power and switch source icons glow? It's on the slide out volume control.

mattybain
2009-04-09, 01:37
Ok so what does this button ~ do besides make the pause, power and switch source icons glow? It's on the slide out volume control.

It synchronises with other players. see http://penguinlovesmusic.de/ipeng-application/how-to-use-the-ipeng-application/nowplaying/ about 2/3rds way down.

pippin
2009-04-09, 02:14
Re the shuffle, this is available from Squeezenetwork either from the remote or the SN web interface. In fact I am listening to a shuffled Napster playlist now.

Well, as a workaround you can always activate shuffle from the NowPlaying screen, of course (tap on the blank cover art, as in the iPod application).

Re the playlist, the SB Remote shows the playlist so it's not quite true that ipeng shows it in the same way. The SB remotre lists my entire napster playlist, ipeng is just blank.

It is _blank_? That's not supposed to be.
What exactly are you doing? I am seeing playlists the same way they are on the SBC.

vagskal
2009-04-09, 03:37
Hi,

Nice update, thanks!

A caveat I have noticed,though:

It is not possible to set the alarm since the typing wheel for setting the alarm time is missing. When hitting the button (or what it is) where the typing wheel should have been, the application crashes.

pippin
2009-04-09, 03:57
Hi,

Nice update, thanks!

A caveat I have noticed,though:

It is not possible to set the alarm since the typing wheel for setting the alarm time is missing. When hitting the button (or what it is) where the typing wheel should have been, the application crashes.

No, this works. What may have happened, though (and this is a known bug): it can take up to one or two seconds until the wheel appears, if you click into the entry field again during that time, iPeng gets into trouble.

So just select the text field once and have a little patience :-)

vagskal
2009-04-09, 04:04
No, this works. What may have happened, though (and this is a known bug): it can take up to one or two seconds until the wheel appears, if you click into the entry field again during that time, iPeng gets into trouble.

So just select the text field once and have a little patience :-)

Sorry, it does not work for me at all. I have waited 45 seconds and no wheel appears. And when I click just once on the field/button, the application crashes.

mattybain
2009-04-09, 04:28
Well, as a workaround you can always activate shuffle from the NowPlaying screen, of course (tap on the blank cover art, as in the iPod application).

It is _blank_? That's not supposed to be.
What exactly are you doing? I am seeing playlists the same way they are on the SBC.

Just playing a napster playlist via SN, as I said on the SBR it comes up with the full playlist but on ipeng nothing.

Edit - actually it has just started working but now I can't seem to change tracks using ipeng, I will have a fiddle and see if it starts working again. It's all quite strange.

Edit (2) - hmmm restarting ipeng has made it start to work again, apologies, it's working very well now.

pippin
2009-04-09, 04:57
Sorry, it does not work for me at all. I have waited 45 seconds and no wheel appears. And when I click just once on the field/button, the application crashes.

Which button?
I don't fully understand what you are seeing.
I assume you are on the "Alarms" page and there's a field "Add Alarm" with an entry field below.

When you tap into this entry field, you should get a keyboard-like overlay with a selection wheel. If you don't, could you post a screen shot? You can make screen shots by holding the button on the top and then pressing the one on the front.
http://penguinlovesmusic.de/wp-content/gallery/squeezenetwork-and-plugins-preview/screenshot-20090312-151108.png
http://penguinlovesmusic.de/wp-content/gallery/squeezenetwork-and-plugins-preview/screenshot-20090312-150928.png

pippin
2009-04-09, 04:58
Just playing a napster playlist via SN, as I said on the SBR it comes up with the full playlist but on ipeng nothing.

Edit - actually it has just started working but now I can't seem to change tracks using ipeng, I will have a fiddle and see if it starts working again. It's all quite strange.

Edit (2) - hmmm restarting ipeng has made it start to work again, apologies, it's working very well now.

Is this one of your personal playlists or one of Napster's own ones (can you have personal playlists in Napser?)
If it's the latter, could you tell me, which one?
To me this sounds like you were running into some kind of time-out.

TomJo
2009-04-09, 05:18
Just bought this app .. have to admit I have been using Squidgy but with the possibility to control SN from the Iphone .. just great. Good work!

mattybain
2009-04-09, 05:36
Is this one of your personal playlists or one of Napster's own ones (can you have personal playlists in Napser?)
If it's the latter, could you tell me, which one?
To me this sounds like you were running into some kind of time-out.

It's one of my personal playlists, it's actually working fine now, you are probably right about it being a time-out issue.

BTW loving the new undocumented feature, great work.

This app is simply awesome for using the Squeezenetwork, it knocks spot of both the web UI and also the SBR. Great stuff :)

vagskal
2009-04-09, 06:12
Which button?
I don't fully understand what you are seeing.
I assume you are on the "Alarms" page and there's a field "Add Alarm" with an entry field below.

When you tap into this entry field, you should get a keyboard-like overlay with a selection wheel. If you don't, could you post a screen shot? You can make screen shots by holding the button on the top and then pressing the one on the front.
http://penguinlovesmusic.de/wp-content/gallery/squeezenetwork-and-plugins-preview/screenshot-20090312-151108.png
http://penguinlovesmusic.de/wp-content/gallery/squeezenetwork-and-plugins-preview/screenshot-20090312-150928.png

Attached is a screenshot of what I am seeing.

panos_k75
2009-04-09, 06:36
It looks good...well done...couple of things:

1. I am experiencing random crashes
2. is there a way to force a duet receiver to connect to SN even if the player is no connected to any server? You can do this with controller as I believe the controller is talking directly to the receiver...can u do this with iPeng?

pippin
2009-04-09, 07:09
It looks good...well done...couple of things:

1. I am experiencing random crashes

Can you see any systematics in this?

2. is there a way to force a duet receiver to connect to SN even if the player is no connected to any server? You can do this with controller as I believe the controller is talking directly to the receiver...can u do this with iPeng?

No. How does the controller do this? Is this the setup mode? That will not work, at least with the current iPhone OS since it requires to set up a P2P WiFi network and that in turn require hardware access to the WiFi controller which you don't get on iPhone.

pippin
2009-04-09, 07:11
Attached is a screenshot of what I am seeing.

Is it clicking into the white area what makes iPeng crash?
This concerns me a bit since this field is never supposed to look that way. It is supposed to look like in MY screenshot (with a number in it).
I wonder if this has something to do with the language settings (of the server or the iPhone).
Which server version do you use?

vagskal
2009-04-09, 07:26
Is it clicking into the white area what makes iPeng crash?
This concerns me a bit since this field is never supposed to look that way. It is supposed to look like in MY screenshot (with a number in it).
I wonder if this has something to do with the language settings (of the server or the iPhone).

Yes, it is clicking that area that causes an immediate crash. The same behaviour is displayed on the page of an existing alarm.

SC and the iPod Touch are both set to Swedish (Svenska). SC is running on Swedish Win XP. There are, unfortunately, no "Swedish" characters on the typing wheel on the SBC even when it is set to Swedish: http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=10650

SC Version: 7.3.3 - 25846 @ Tue Apr 7 04:07:31 PDT 2009.

Bryan Jan
2009-04-09, 07:35
Pippin,

Nice update.

However, whenever I choose play, add, add next the album to the playlist it always said "No mixers available" and nothing happen. I can only manage to play an album by choose "i" then it will add the album I chose to the playlist and start playing, however in a shuffle manner. I can't make it play starting from the 1st song.

Where did I set it wrong?

Bryan

pippin
2009-04-09, 09:20
Pippin,

Nice update.

However, whenever I choose play, add, add next the album to the playlist it always said "No mixers available" and nothing happen. I can only manage to play an album by choose "i" then it will add the album I chose to the playlist and start playing, however in a shuffle manner. I can't make it play starting from the 1st song.

Where did I set it wrong?

Bryan
I believe you are probably trying to start an album with "touch-and-hold"?
"No Mixers available should show up when you use the "m" mode on an Album or an Artist and no mixers are registered.
In which menus do you see the message?

Don't get confused by the "Play Shuffled" message on top of track lists, this doesn't mean you have to play the tracks shuffled, but - like on the iPod Application - this is a shortcut to enable "shuffle" and play the whole album. You can play the album straight from the first track by switching to play mode (">") and selecting the first track.

If you still get a shuffled list, you probably set the "shuffle" mode on the NowPlaying screen (tap the big cover art to get an overlay to change the mode).

pippin
2009-04-09, 09:20
Yes, it is clicking that area that causes an immediate crash. The same behaviour is displayed on the page of an existing alarm.

SC and the iPod Touch are both set to Swedish (Svenska). SC is running on Swedish Win XP. There are, unfortunately, no "Swedish" characters on the typing wheel on the SBC even when it is set to Swedish: http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=10650

This sounds like there's a "null" content sent by the server. Will try to set my devices to Swedish and find out.

michel
2009-04-09, 09:40
I have always found the search function quite slow. At the end of the search process playback is interrupted for 10 to 20 seconds. I experienced this with previous versions. No change with 1.1. Anybody else with this problem?

pippin
2009-04-09, 09:56
I have always found the search function quite slow. At the end of the search process playback is interrupted for 10 to 20 seconds. I experienced this with previous versions. No change with 1.1. Anybody else with this problem?

What server do you run SC on?
At the END of the search iPeng runs a normal tracks query plus requests the artwork. Nothing to be sped up there, if the server can't handle that, it's not really iPeng's fault, that's more a case of bad scheduling on the side of the server.

mortslim
2009-04-09, 10:27
I don't have a music server and I don't like my computer to be on all the time while I am listening to music. Thus I don't use SqueezeCenter, only SqueezeNetwork. I liked the idea of controlling my music from my iPod Touch and I was planning to buy a netbook to be my music server to use with iPeng on my iPod Touch. Now with the iPeng 1.1 update, I can connect directly to SqueezeNetwork without the need for a server computer. So no need for a netbook and I just saved $400 !!! Thank you iPeng.

(I added a similar comment to the iPeng reviews on the Apple app store).

mortslim
2009-04-09, 10:37
I have five squeezeboxes (two classics and three booms).

When attempting to scroll through these players on the Now Playing screen (because only three can be seen completely at one time), there is a little glitchiness in the scrolling behavior. It works for the most part but once in awhile I have to try a few times with my finger to grip onto the screen to scroll smoothly.

mortslim
2009-04-09, 10:39
Can someone please give a hint as to what the "undocumented feature" is in the 1.1 update?

Or just say what it is?

pippin
2009-04-09, 11:19

OK, was able to reproduce, seems to be the region setting on iPhone.
I will try to fix it for 1.1.1, could you please file a ticket?

As a workaround, you can set iPhone's Region settings (not language, that can stay at Swedish) to e.g. English? (Settings->General->International->Region)

I don't have a music server and I don't like my computer to be on all the time while I am listening to music. Thus I don't use SqueezeCenter, only SqueezeNetwork. I liked the idea of controlling my music from my iPod Touch and I was planning to buy a netbook to be my music server to use with iPeng on my iPod Touch. Now with the iPeng 1.1 update, I can connect directly to SqueezeNetwork without the need for a server computer. So no need for a netbook and I just saved $400 !!! Thank you iPeng.

(I added a similar comment to the iPeng reviews on the Apple app store).

I knew you would like it :-)
Thanks for the comment!

I have five squeezeboxes (two classics and three booms).

When attempting to scroll through these players on the Now Playing screen (because only three can be seen completely at one time), there is a little glitchiness in the scrolling behavior. It works for the most part but once in awhile I have to try a few times with my finger to grip onto the screen to scroll smoothly.

Yes, that's a known issue that is not completely simple to fix. 1.2 will be all about improving this and the rest of NowPlaying

Can someone please give a hint as to what the "undocumented feature" is in the 1.1 update?

Or just say what it is?

You got a 1G iPod touch? Then it almost doesn't apply to you.

michel
2009-04-09, 11:42
What server do you run SC on?
At the END of the search iPeng runs a normal tracks query plus requests the artwork. Nothing to be sped up there, if the server can't handle that, it's not really iPeng's fault, that's more a case of bad scheduling on the side of the server.

I run a pentium dual core E2160 XP server with 2GB RAM. I usually do not have performance problems. Searching via browser is very quick, no interrupted play.

btw thank you for this wonderful app!

bephillips
2009-04-09, 12:41
Great work Pippin! I ended up staying up late last night playing with the new version. That problem with volume due to IR Blaster settings was weird, thanks for sorting that out. Website is looking nicer too.

Regarding the undocumented feature (love it!), you mention above that just turning on the screen should be enough to make the hardware buttons work, but I find that I have to fully wake up the iPhone for them to work. Maybe I need to activate "Keep connection active" (this just occurred to me)?

I don't see where to access the Lyrics plugin is. I remember this was available from the track info page of the ipeng Safari skin. I don't see it under Extras, which is where one finds it in the Browser UI.

No access to track info from the playlist view yet? This is where it would be most useful to me. Looking ahead in the current random or dynamic playlist and editing, or adding adjoining songs from the same album/live recording as one of the random tracks.

Another minor problem I'm sure you can help me with. I want to change out the generic grayscale cover art image for something more colorful, since I see it all the time in my large collection of unreleased live recordings. See this thread:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=62228

In iPeng 1.0, replacing cover.png in the Browser UI Default skin HTML also changed the generic image in iPeng Now Playing, though not in the thumbnail cover art views. I had been meaning to ask you where that thumbnail image was located to change it too, but now with iPeng 1.1, the Now Playing generic cover art image is not responding to my change of cover.png in Default skin. Where are the two images iPeng uses for generic cover art located so that I can change them out?

Thanks for all you've done to unify my two favorite gadgets. Keep up the good work!

pippin
2009-04-09, 17:36
I run a pentium dual core E2160 XP server with 2GB RAM. I usually do not have performance problems. Searching via browser is very quick, no interrupted play.

btw thank you for this wonderful app!

Hm, that's weired indeed. Are you transcoding or something?

Great work Pippin! I ended up staying up late last night playing with the new version. That problem with volume due to IR Blaster settings was weird, thanks for sorting that out. Website is looking nicer too.

So did you get that fixed? Good.

Regarding the undocumented feature (love it!), you mention above that just turning on the screen should be enough to make the hardware buttons work, but I find that I have to fully wake up the iPhone for them to work. Maybe I need to activate "Keep connection active" (this just occurred to me)?

It certainly helps. Yet it should work without it as well, just take 2-3 seconds to open up a server connection.

I don't see where to access the Lyrics plugin is. I remember this was available from the track info page of the ipeng Safari skin. I don't see it under Extras, which is where one finds it in the Browser UI.

It doesn't work.
Please contact the author (lsmitho). He promised me to add a CLI feature almost a year ago.
The problem is: Lyrics either works as a traditional web plugin, which is only available in the browser, or as a LUA plugin for the controller, which doesn't work for iPeng since LUA violates Apple's license agreement.
Lyrics does not provide normal SqueezePlay menus as of now.

No access to track info from the playlist view yet? This is where it would be most useful to me. Looking ahead in the current random or dynamic playlist and editing, or adding adjoining songs from the same album/live recording as one of the random tracks.

Another minor problem I'm sure you can help me with. I want to change out the generic grayscale cover art image for something more colorful, since I see it all the time in my large collection of unreleased live recordings. See this thread:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=62228

In iPeng 1.0, replacing cover.png in the Browser UI Default skin HTML also changed the generic image in iPeng Now Playing, though not in the thumbnail cover art views. I had been meaning to ask you where that thumbnail image was located to change it too, but now with iPeng 1.1, the Now Playing generic cover art image is not responding to my change of cover.png in Default skin. Where are the two images iPeng uses for generic cover art located so that I can change them out?

This should not have worked in 1.0 but only with the plugin.
The grey image is part of the application.
TECHNICALLY, the app, as you see it in iTunes, is just a zipped folder containing, among other things, the bitmaps used. I have no idea, whether you can just change these or if that will break the code signature. So if you try, always keep a copy of the original file.

Nonreality
2009-04-09, 17:59
So the undocumented feature would be something a 2G Itouch can make use of? If so how about a nice person who is smarter than me sending me a private message about it?? Please. :) (it's my son's Touch and I can only steal it from him at night for short periods of time so I'm still learning Ipeng and the touch itself.)

atlslim
2009-04-09, 19:38
So the undocumented feature would be something a 2G Itouch can make use of? If so how about a nice person who is smarter than me sending me a private message about it?? Please. :) (it's my son's Touch and I can only steal it from him at night for short periods of time so I'm still learning Ipeng and the touch itself.)

I can relate - I used to steal my daughter's Touch until I bought one myself. I have the 1G but here's something the 2G has that mine doesn't:

http://www.gearlive.com/gallery/image/1405/

Good luck!

bephillips
2009-04-09, 20:12
It certainly helps. Yet it should work without it as well, just take 2-3 seconds to open up a server connection.

This should not have worked in 1.0 but only with the plugin.
The grey image is part of the application.
TECHNICALLY, the app, as you see it in iTunes, is just a zipped folder containing, among other things, the bitmaps used. I have no idea, whether you can just change these or if that will break the code signature. So if you try, always keep a copy of the original file.

Thanks for your other answers, looking forward to 1.2. I'll contact ismitho about Lyrics.

Even maintaining the connection, I don't have hardware button control without a full wake up, even if I wait several seconds on the lock screen. Jailbroken iphone if that matters, but don't think I've done anything to those buttons anywhere else.

By 1.0, I meant the immediately previous version to the current 1.1, which required the plugin and SC 7.3, was that 1.01? Anyway, before yesterdays iPeng update, just yesterday, I changed cover.png in the Default skin HTML, and this image also showed up in iPeng Now Playing, which was nice, it looked so good on the iPhone screen.

Rather than going in and trying to change an iPhone app (I would have no idea how) would it be possible in future versions that instead of using a bitmap in the app, that iPeng could call on cover.png in the Default skin, which it seems to have done until the recent update? I guess cache this image locally? Maybe use this for the thumbnail view too, though I really only care about the Now Playing screen. That was fun for a day. Silly little thing, I know.

And if I did start messing around and broke the app, wouldn't I just be able to download it again? If I changed the app found in iTunes, would it update to the iPhone? So much I don't know. I know just enough to start trying to do something I have no clue about and break it. Perhaps best if I left it alone.

amcluesent
2009-04-10, 00:51
1.1 is now a viable alternative to the SBC

erland
2009-04-10, 01:40
1.1 is now a viable alternative to the SBC
After the 1.1 release I can only see three reasons to buy a SBC instead of a iPod Touch+iPeng:
- You need SBC to configure a Squeezebox Receiver
- You want to be able to easily control it with a single hand
- You want to be able to do a lot of configuration through the remote

In every other aspect iPeng is IMHO better than SBC and with a iPod Touch/iPhone you also get a portable music player.

The only thing I'm missing currently is a way to launch mixers and track information from the Now Playing screen, but as far as I've understood that will be part of a future iPeng release.

This might sound bad for Logitech but I think iPeng 1.1 also will have some positive effects for Logitech:
- It will make more interesting for third party plugins to support SBC since this also makes them available in iPeng, at least this is the case for me personally.
- It will make the Squeezebox products more attractive since the iPeng interface looks a lot nicer during a demonstration than the SBC interface.

vagskal
2009-04-10, 01:45
OK, was able to reproduce, seems to be the region setting on iPhone.
I will try to fix it for 1.1.1, could you please file a ticket?

As a workaround, you can set iPhone's Region settings (not language, that can stay at Swedish) to e.g. English? (Settings->General->International->Region)

The workaround worked, thanks!

After I changed region to UK English, I experienced some random crashes, four or so in an hour. The crashes were random and occurred when iPeng was idle, when I did not touch the iPod. Did the switch of region perhaps trigger a re-import or re-organization of the database which choked iPeng? I have some 61k of songs.

The provided url results in a security warning regarding the certificate of the website.

pippin
2009-04-10, 01:59
Thanks for your other answers, looking forward to 1.2. I'll contact ismitho about Lyrics.

That would be nice. I contacted him so often so it will probably help if also someone else shows up :-) BTW his username is "Lsmitho" (mixed this up myself so often...)

Even maintaining the connection, I don't have hardware button control without a full wake up, even if I wait several seconds on the lock screen. Jailbroken iphone if that matters, but don't think I've done anything to those buttons anywhere else.

I stand corrected. What you can do is DOUBLE-CLICK the iPhone's button, this gives you the volume overlay and when that is shown, the volume buttons work. BTW this also works on iPod touch 1G (using the overlay).
But oops, I talk too much about this :-)

By 1.0, I meant the immediately previous version to the current 1.1, which required the plugin and SC 7.3, was that 1.01? Anyway, before yesterdays iPeng update, just yesterday, I changed cover.png in the Default skin HTML, and this image also showed up in iPeng Now Playing, which was nice, it looked so good on the iPhone screen.

That was 0.5.3.
1.0 (or better: 1.0.x, 1.0 never made it to the market) also was an iPhone app and behaved like 1.1 WRT.

Rather than going in and trying to change an iPhone app (I would have no idea how) would it be possible in future versions that instead of using a bitmap in the app, that iPeng could call on cover.png in the Default skin, which it seems to have done until the recent update? I guess cache this image locally? Maybe use this for the thumbnail view too, though I really only care about the Now Playing screen. That was fun for a day. Silly little thing, I know.

Hm. I don't like the default image, it doesn't look very good on iPhone either (and >90% of the users would only see that).
But there's a ticket to be able to skin iPeng, although that probably a bit out, yet.

And if I did start messing around and broke the app, wouldn't I just be able to download it again? If I changed the app found in iTunes, would it update to the iPhone? So much I don't know. I know just enough to start trying to do something I have no clue about and break it. Perhaps best if I left it alone.

You should be able to download it from the App Store as often as you want once you've paid for it.
But I really don't recommend messing around with the app and I don't know whether it would work.

pippin
2009-04-10, 02:26
The only thing I'm missing currently is a way to launch mixers and track information from the Now Playing screen, but as far as I've understood that will be part of a future iPeng release.

Yes. 1.2
https://trac.penguinlovesmusic.de/trac/ipengnat/roadmap

This might sound bad for Logitech but I think iPeng 1.1 also will have some positive effects for Logitech:
- It will make more interesting for third party plugins to support SBC since this also makes them available in iPeng, at least this is the case for me personally.
- It will make the Squeezebox products more attractive since the iPeng interface looks a lot nicer during a demonstration than the SBC interface.

I don't think it's bad for Logitech and while I can't speak for Logitech my impression is they think the same way.
Apart from your arguments I also believe that while iPeng may cost a few SBC sales for a lot of existing iPhone or iTouch users the alternative to using an iPhone app for Squeezebox would be to go the Airtunes road and in the end Logitech is selling players.
And even if it would be only even (as man people buying a SB for their phone as not buying SBCs) those who buy an SB also buy into a system architecture and I believe long term it will be tempting to add more Squeezeboxen.

Oh and, I forgot: they can claim they have the better iPhone app than Sonos :-)

The workaround worked, thanks!

After I changed region to UK English, I experienced some random crashes, four or so in an hour. The crashes were random and occurred when iPeng was idle, when I did not touch the iPod. Did the switch of region perhaps trigger a re-import or re-organization of the database which choked iPeng? I have some 61k of songs.

Should not trigger anything. Random crahses while _idle_ doesn't sound good. Do you have a very large current playlist?
Did you try to flush the cache after upgrading iPeng? From the comments I hear I get the impression 1.1 may have some trouble with older cache data.

The provided url results in a security warning regarding the certificate of the website.
The site only has a self-signed certificate.
Will have to get myself a signed one one day but I still don't have a webmaster (this is more an issue of effort than money, there are cheap single-site certificates around these days.

vagskal
2009-04-10, 02:48
Should not trigger anything. Random crahses while _idle_ doesn't sound good. Do you have a very large current playlist?
Did you try to flush the cache after upgrading iPeng? From the comments I hear I get the impression 1.1 may have some trouble with older cache data.

The site only has a self-signed certificate.
Will have to get myself a signed one one day but I still don't have a webmaster (this is more an issue of effort than money, there are cheap single-site certificates around these days.

OK, I will try to flush the cache. I do not have large playlists, only one album's worth at the time. No crashes since my last post, however.

An unrelated very minor issue: If you have many custom menus, they do not all fit into the screen for placing icons in the lower row and that screen will not move/scroll. The custom menus also lack any form of icon. See attached image.

pippin
2009-04-10, 03:02
OK, I will try to flush the cache. I do not have large playlists, only one album's worth at the time. No crashes since my last post, however.

Then don't flush the cache until you see trouble.

An unrelated very minor issue: If you have many custom menus, they do not all fit into the screen for placing icons in the lower row and that screen will not move/scroll. The custom menus also lack any form of icon. See attached image.

In fact this is not a minor issue but one that drove some major UI decisions like the fact that you can't put music services into the main menu.
This is a standard, Apple provided menu for manipulation the TabBar controller and there's no way to make it scroll.
It's even worse: due to the limitations of that screen, the main menu will not allow for more than 20 items (they just don't show up), you see that you are already close. iPeng removes some of it's default items (settings, extras and help) from the configuration screen if you've got a lot of entries(which means you can't put them on the tab bar) to give room for library items.
Sorry, I haven't found a way around this so far, currently it's an iPhone limitation, maybe 3.0 helps (have yet to try it out). Actually pre-2.0 iPhone FW did remove the items that are already on the tab bar from that menu, giving room for 4 more but not anymore.

On the icon issue: Already discussing this with Erland. SqueezePlay menu items don't have an icon for the home menu plus I can't use the SC provided ones since those will only show up as black squares. The icons you see are hard-coded in iPeng and Custom Browse's menus are, well, custom, so no icons, yet.

vagskal
2009-04-10, 03:49
Then don't flush the cache until you see trouble.

Too late. I have already flushed. A good cleaning could never hurt.

In fact this is not a minor issue but one that drove some major UI decisions like the fact that you can't put music services into the main menu.
This is a standard, Apple provided menu for manipulation the TabBar controller and there's no way to make it scroll.
It's even worse: due to the limitations of that screen, the main menu will not allow for more than 20 items (they just don't show up), you see that you are already close. iPeng removes some of it's default items (settings, extras and help) from the configuration screen if you've got a lot of entries(which means you can't put them on the tab bar) to give room for library items.
Sorry, I haven't found a way around this so far, currently it's an iPhone limitation, maybe 3.0 helps (have yet to try it out). Actually pre-2.0 iPhone FW did remove the items that are already on the tab bar from that menu, giving room for 4 more but not anymore.

On the icon issue: Already discussing this with Erland. SqueezePlay menu items don't have an icon for the home menu plus I can't use the SC provided ones since those will only show up as black squares. The icons you see are hard-coded in iPeng and Custom Browse's menus are, well, custom, so no icons, yet.

Oh, sorry for bringing that one up. To me it is only a very minor glitch. I can always remove some top level menus in SC. I guess it is not possible to allow the user to sort the menus, like when sorting songs in the playlist.

Another question, if you do not mind: In the SC web UI when the plugin Album Review finds several possible entries for an album, it displays clickable links to AMG for the different entries (it is possible that the Biography plugin works in a similar fashion). In iPeng (and on the SBC) those links are just displayed as text, which is not so helpful. Would it be possible to have the links in iPeng? If it is not possible to see the content in iPeng, would it be possible to open the link in Safari?

pippin
2009-04-10, 05:02
Oh, sorry for bringing that one up. To me it is only a very minor glitch. I can always remove some top level menus in SC. I guess it is not possible to allow the user to sort the menus, like when sorting songs in the playlist.

No need to be sorry, it had to be explained.
I'm still a bit unsure what would be the right logic for the sorting. The problem is how to save the sort order since the menu items are dynamic (actually some are player dependent, most are server dependent), so what do you do when they change, e.g. when switching players or to SN or when you add new menu items through plugins.
I believe the fixed order is simpler, here. BTW, you can influence the ordering of CustomBrowse items in CustomBrowse, iPeng will respect that.

Another question, if you do not mind: In the SC web UI when the plugin Album Review finds several possible entries for an album, it displays clickable links to AMG for the different entries (it is possible that the Biography plugin works in a similar fashion). In iPeng (and on the SBC) those links are just displayed as text, which is not so helpful. Would it be possible to have the links in iPeng? If it is not possible to see the content in iPeng, would it be possible to open the link in Safari?

Wrong addressee :-)
iPeng supports all of that and I know Michael has done a lot of changes to at least Biography for this. Did you update the plugins recently? Actually I don't know if he already published the new version, got to ask him (e.g. in the 3rd party plugins forum).

Update: I see that there's a version 2.7.0 of Biography on Michael's home page (herger.net) that supports following links. I think for AR that would be a request to him :-)

vagskal
2009-04-10, 05:47
No need to be sorry, it had to be explained.
I'm still a bit unsure what would be the right logic for the sorting. The problem is how to save the sort order since the menu items are dynamic (actually some are player dependent, most are server dependent), so what do you do when they change, e.g. when switching players or to SN or when you add new menu items through plugins.
I believe the fixed order is simpler, here. BTW, you can influence the ordering of CustomBrowse items in CustomBrowse, iPeng will respect that.

Wrong addressee :-)
iPeng supports all of that and I know Michael has done a lot of changes to at least Biography for this. Did you update the plugins recently? Actually I don't know if he already published the new version, got to ask him (e.g. in the 3rd party plugins forum).

Update: I see that there's a version 2.7.0 of Biography on Michael's home page (herger.net) that supports following links. I think for AR that would be a request to him :-)

Thanks for the answers. I already have the latest versions in the repository. Album Review is on version 2.6.0, and I guess we will just have to wait until that plugin also gets updated to 2.7.0. I had not noticed that links worked on the SBC in the Biography plugin; I seldom use the SBC nowadays since I got iPeng. Now, with the updated version, when I can use iPeng to set alarms, to view all entered information about the songs and, through the Album Review and Biography plugins, also external information (apart from lyrics that are not saved in the tags...) and to transfer playlists between players, using the plugin Other players, I am quite happy without the SBC! Great job.

With the excellent plugin support and since plugins often show up under the Extras menu and operate on a specific player (like alarms and the Other players plugin), would you consider adding an indication when on the Extras menu of which player is selected? On the SBC, for instance, you can choose a specific background colour for each player.

Another thing: The new option to have the albums for an artist sorted by year is great and just the way I want it. Would you, however, consider making an exception from this sort order - or introducing a user option - when it comes to the "artist" Various artists, where it makes more sense to have all the VA albums sorted alphabetically than by year.

m1abrams
2009-04-10, 07:39
I figured out how to get to the Album Review and Biography from the browse music via press and hold a song to get to the song info. My question is it possible to get to Album Review and Biography from the Now Playing for the currently playing song? I may be blind but I could not find anything to get to them from Now Playing.

Thanks

garym
2009-04-10, 08:30
I'm having an odd connection problem with SN. I've been using iPeng since it was released and it has always worked nicely. I love the 1.1 version's must quicker loading of my large library and the ability to use SN instead of SC when desired. All was working OK, then this morning, turned on Ipeng, it immediately saw that I was on SN and noted my player (a BOOM). However, the iPeng would not control the Boom....i.e., no turning on/off, selecting favorites, etc. When I looked at SN online, the iPeng on the iphone is connected as is the BOOM. The BOOM works just fine using manual controls on the Boom. I switched to my SC, restarted Ipeng, switched BOOM to SC, and then iPeng would control the BOOM just fine. Then I switched back to SN on ipeng and BOOM and now ipeng controls BOOM on SN just fine. Thought it was just a glitch. Then iphone went to sleep....and an hour later, when going back into ipeng, it found boom and SN just fine, but again wouldn't control the BOOM. Any thoughts??

musicexpression
2009-04-10, 08:30
I was tapping around iPeng and stumbled upon the folder, and saw some garbage characters which are my chinese/japanese folder names. any idea is it due to the SC having this problem or iPeng 1.1 does not display non-English characters?

atlslim
2009-04-10, 08:32
My question is it possible to get to Album Review and Biography from the Now Playing for the currently playing song? I may be blind but I could not find anything to get to them from Now Playing.

Not there...yet..see Release 1.2

https://trac.penguinlovesmusic.de/trac/ipengnat/roadmap

pippin
2009-04-10, 08:57
I'm having an odd connection problem with SN. I've been using iPeng since it was released and it has always worked nicely. I love the 1.1 version's must quicker loading of my large library and the ability to use SN instead of SC when desired. All was working OK, then this morning, turned on Ipeng, it immediately saw that I was on SN and noted my player (a BOOM). However, the iPeng would not control the Boom....i.e., no turning on/off, selecting favorites, etc. When I looked at SN online, the iPeng on the iphone is connected as is the BOOM. The BOOM works just fine using manual controls on the Boom. I switched to my SC, restarted Ipeng, switched BOOM to SC, and then iPeng would control the BOOM just fine. Then I switched back to SN on ipeng and BOOM and now ipeng controls BOOM on SN just fine. Thought it was just a glitch. Then iphone went to sleep....and an hour later, when going back into ipeng, it found boom and SN just fine, but again wouldn't control the BOOM. Any thoughts??

Hm. Does closing iPeng and restarting it help?

vagskal
2009-04-10, 08:58
Hi again,

Sorry to try your patience like this, but I found a reproducible issue which looks like a possible bug that might interest you.

Choose Show artwork for a song and click on the black screen before the artwork is shown. iPeng reverts briefly to the Song info screen and then crashes. I like my album art large/huge (over 500x500) and this might have something to do with it, or it could be an issue inherent in SC where large album art is not always correctly resized, compare http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=11009.

pippin
2009-04-10, 08:59
I was tapping around iPeng and stumbled upon the folder, and saw some garbage characters which are my chinese/japanese folder names. any idea is it due to the SC having this problem or iPeng 1.1 does not display non-English characters?

Or probably your 3rd party font not supporting the character set?

Generally iPeng uses iPhone's language settings. SC usually transmits UTF-8 and I have had all kinds of foreign characters displayed just fine so I would attribute it to the font.

You could flush the cache to make sure it's not garbled data.

pippin
2009-04-10, 09:02
Hi again,

Sorry to try your patience like this, but I found a reproducible issue which looks like a possible bug that might interest you.

Choose Show artwork for a song and click on the black screen before the artwork is shown. iPeng reverts briefly to the Song info screen and then crashes. I like my album art large/huge (over 500x500) and this might have something to do with it, or it could be an issue inherent in SC where large album art is not always correctly resized, compare http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=11009.

No, it's obviously a bug and I have an idea what could cause it. Could you file a ticket? Thanks!

garym
2009-04-10, 09:05
Hm. Does closing iPeng and restarting it help?

good point. No, forgot to mention. tried this several times and didn't help. Very odd, because when it works, it works beautifully. And doesn't seem to be a wifi problem as the boom plays flawlessly, and SN does see both the iphone and the boom as connected.

vagskal
2009-04-10, 09:20
No, it's obviously a bug and I have an idea what could cause it. Could you file a ticket? Thanks!

OK, I have overcome my reluctance to enter a secure website with an insecure certificate and filed a ticket for a bug, as well as a couple of tickets for enhancement requests.

pippin
2009-04-10, 09:26
good point. No, forgot to mention. tried this several times and didn't help. Very odd, because when it works, it works beautifully. And doesn't seem to be a wifi problem as the boom plays flawlessly, and SN does see both the iphone and the boom as connected.

Hm.. Can't reproduce this.
Two things:
1. Could this probably be an issue with the Boom losing connection to SN or can you still control it through the web interface?
2. Do you keep the server connection open?

pippin
2009-04-10, 10:55
OK, I have overcome my reluctance to enter a secure website with an insecure certificate and filed a ticket for a bug, as well as a couple of tickets for enhancement requests.

Thank you!
It's not insecure as long as you don't leave any personal data or something. You just can't verify it's really me operating the site.

vagskal
2009-04-10, 11:09
Thank you!
It's not insecure as long as you don't leave any personal data or something. You just can't verify it's really me operating the site.

Well, I think I verified that anyway by your prompt response to my ticket.

And I did not leave any really personal data on your website, because it unfortunately did not include a secure e-commerce site to sell a recently redundant SBC...

DoomWolf
2009-04-11, 03:40
Great job on 1.1!

I love the way it orders the Artist>Album view by year, but would it be possible to have an option for reversing the year view from ascending to descending so that the newest album is at the top with the list going down to the oldest at the bottom? If I'm wanting to play an album I tend to use the Artist>Album route and I'd often be wanting to select the newest album by that artist, so to me it would make more sense to see the albums listed that way.

amcluesent
2009-04-11, 04:00
>so to me it would make more sense to see the albums listed that way.<

A major feature of 1.1 is ability to present server-generated menus, so you can use the CustomBrowse plug-in and create menus just as you want them.

garym
2009-04-11, 04:34

Hm.. Can't reproduce this.
Two things:
1. Could this probably be an issue with the Boom losing connection to SN or can you still control it through the web interface?
2. Do you keep the server connection open?

1. during the entire period where the ipeng can't control the boom, the boom is playing just fine.
2. played around a little more. tried it with the "keep server connection open" both on and off. Still have some random problems. Works perfectly sometimes and other times it either doesn't control the player (although it shows it) OR it doesn't show all the players (just some of them). But when I'm on SC it all works perfectly. I suspect this has nothing to do with ipeng, but is something going on between me and my squeezenetwork account. Got up this morning, turned on ipeng, and all players listed and controllable just fine. Oh well. Keep up the good work. I really like the improvements to 1.1.

mikes
2009-04-11, 08:11

Pippin -
Great release! I like the UI you have added for those of us using IRBlaster, but unfortunately the resulting behavior has not changed. I am confused as it would seem it should now work just like the Web UI which continues to send volume up commands through the IRBlaster.

With the SB3 set to 100% fixed, when I hit Volume Up on iPeng screen the SB3 display changes to the volume indicator, but does not send IR blast. One difference that I have noticed is that with the web UI or SC when I hit volume up, the display on the SB3 does NOT change to the volume indicator. It just sends the IR signal to my pre-amp. As before when I hit volume down it sends the IR blast and if I hit volume up after hitting volume down it will send the IR blast until the SB3 thinks it is at 100% again.

My apologies to all who were confused by the change in volume UI as a result of stored settings from IRBlaster. I guess I am in the minority as a user of IRBlaster and iPeng, but it is a must have for my setup in our main living room which also has the home theater.

I am hoping a solution can be found. Using iPeng for all my other SB's which are connected directly to Amps and use the SB's internal volume control.

Thanks for the great App!

EDIT: I reopened Ticket #8 in your Trac system... I hope that is OK. Let me know if you prefer I open a new ticket.

pichonCalavera
2009-04-11, 09:47
With the SB3 set to 100% fixed, when I hit Volume Up on iPeng screen the SB3 display changes to the volume indicator, but does not send IR blast. One difference that I have noticed is that with the web UI or SC when I hit volume up, the display on the SB3 does NOT change to the volume indicator. It just sends the IR signal to my pre-amp. As before when I hit volume down it sends the IR blast and if I hit volume up after hitting volume down it will send the IR blast until the SB3 thinks it is at 100% again.

My apologies to all who were confused by the change in volume UI as a result of stored settings from IRBlaster. I guess I am in the minority as a user of IRBlaster and iPeng, but it is a must have for my setup in our main living room which also has the home theater.

I am hoping a solution can be found.

EDIT: I reopened Ticket #8 in your Trac system... I hope that is OK. Let me know if you prefer I open a new ticket.

I had this 'weird behaviour' of IRBlaster not sending the volume up signal to my amp, but I managed to get it working now, but I had to fix the volume at less than 100 in the IRBlaster Player settings screen (for example, at 80).

It's seems if you are fixed at 100 level, when you press volume down, it goes temporarily to 99 level, so my theory is that pressing up cannot go above 100, so it gets stuck and doesn't send the signal.

I modified the html code in the IRBlaster settings page to add a 99 fixed level, so I could decrease and increase the volume from ipeng just fine.

pippin
2009-04-11, 10:03
1. during the entire period where the ipeng can't control the boom, the boom is playing just fine.
2. played around a little more. tried it with the "keep server connection open" both on and off. Still have some random problems. Works perfectly sometimes and other times it either doesn't control the player (although it shows it) OR it doesn't show all the players (just some of them). But when I'm on SC it all works perfectly. I suspect this has nothing to do with ipeng, but is something going on between me and my squeezenetwork account. Got up this morning, turned on ipeng, and all players listed and controllable just fine. Oh well. Keep up the good work. I really like the improvements to 1.1.

I experienced similar behavior this morning (could not see my player on SN). But then at that time I also was not able to browse Napster (through SC) so I suspect that it was an SN issue. As soon as Napster came back, my player appeared, too.

Maybe a ressource issue? After all, there's a few thousand potential additional SN (browsing) clients around now :-)

I had this 'weird behaviour' of IRBlaster not sending the volume up signal to my amp, but I managed to get it working now, but I had to fix the volume at less than 100 in the IRBlaster Player settings screen (for example, at 80).

It's seems if you are fixed at 100 level, when you press volume down, it goes temporarily to 99 level, so my theory is that pressing up cannot go above 100, so it gets stuck and doesn't send the signal.

I modified the html code in the IRBlaster settings page to add a 99 fixed level, so I could decrease and increase the volume from ipeng just fine.

Hm. Looks like a CR against IRBlaster would make sense. Isn't that an Slimdevices provided plugin?

mikes
2009-04-11, 10:05

Interesting work around you have come up with. Given that Web UI and SC work fine with the volume fixed at 100%, it would seem like iPeng should be able to work the same way.

Thanks for the idea.

Aesculus
2009-04-11, 10:06
Pippin -
Great release! I like the UI you have added for those of us using IRBlaster, but unfortunately the resulting behavior has not changed. I am confused as it would seem it should now work just like the Web UI which continues to send volume up commands through the IRBlaster.

I am hoping a solution can be found. Using iPeng for all my other SB's which are connected directly to Amps and use the SB's internal volume control.

Thanks for the great App!

Looks like iPeng needs to support both up/down volume as well as absolute settings for IRBlaster. I think some previous users complained that it was not working for them in 1.05 when it only supported absolute settings. Did it work OK for you in 1.05?

mikes
2009-04-11, 11:29
Hm. Looks like a CR against IRBlaster would make sense. Isn't that an Slimdevices provided plugin?

IRBlaster is not provided by Slimdevices although Felix, the author is now a Logitech employee.

I guess I would kindly disagree that this is a CR against IRBlaster since it works fine from both the Web UI and the SC. Can you explain why you think it should be a CR there? pichon's suggestion is what I would refer to as a "hack" work around and not a solution to the problem. This is why I reopened the ticket in your Trac system. I think iPeng should be able to behave just like the Web UI and SC does with regard to Volume control and IRBlaster. Maybe Felix has a suggestion.

Thanks.

pippin
2009-04-11, 12:39
IRBlaster is not provided by Slimdevices although Felix, the author is now a Logitech employee.

I guess I would kindly disagree that this is a CR against IRBlaster since it works fine from both the Web UI and the SC. Can you explain why you think it should be a CR there? pichon's suggestion is what I would refer to as a "hack" work around and not a solution to the problem. This is why I reopened the ticket in your Trac system. I think iPeng should be able to behave just like the Web UI and SC does with regard to Volume control and IRBlaster. Maybe Felix has a suggestion.

Thanks.

Ok. Next try with 1.1.1
I got confused by comments before that the web UI would send volume up/down button commands. It doesn't, it sends relative mixer volume changes.
Simple change in iPeng, would have been nice to know before the release :-(

nowork
2009-04-11, 12:52
Thanks for SqueezeNetwork support.

I enjoy iPeng.

DoomWolf
2009-04-11, 17:16
>so to me it would make more sense to see the albums listed that way.<

A major feature of 1.1 is ability to present server-generated menus, so you can use the CustomBrowse plug-in and create menus just as you want them.

Perhaps it's a Logitech issue as Squeezecenter doesn't seem to allow for the reversal of year order (maybe I should request an SC enhancement for the option). Looking at Custom Browse through SC, I can see that it does order by descending years. The problem is that I have no idea how to properly configure or use the Custom Browse plugin. In iPeng it just doesn't have the same feel and usability as the native menus.

cdmackay
2009-04-11, 17:38
mortslim wrote:
> When attempting to scroll through these players on the Now Playing
> screen (because only three can be seen completely at one time), there
> is a little glitchiness in the scrolling behavior. It works for the
> most part but once in awhile I have to try a few times with my finger
> to grip onto the screen to scroll smoothly.

yes, it can be difficult. I've found a consistent method that works:
hold down your finger on a (non-active area) of one player, for a second
or two, motionless, and only then scroll. works for me...

I use the area between the player name and the SN icon, and I wait until
the flash before scrolling.

cheers,
c.

cdmackay
2009-04-11, 17:42
erland wrote:
> After the 1.1 release I can only see three reasons to buy a SBC instead
> of a iPod Touch+iPeng:
> - You need SBC to configure a Squeezebox Receiver

I know that you know this, but - for others - you don't *need* it for
that...

the perl util Net-UDAP will configure an SBR without an SBC. It will
also configure all other SBs, too, which is nice to save typing in long
wifi passwords.

cheers,
c.

Balthazar_B
2009-04-11, 21:41
I'll file a bug, but wanted to note I've been experiencing some odd behavior with iPeng 1.1. It sounds a bit like the issue that has been noted with failure to consistently control SN sessions, but in my case I'm running it against SqueezeCenter. Some particulars:

SC v7.3.3 - 25911 (Ubuntu);
BoomBox (WiFi) and Controller/Receiver (wired) on the network, synchronized;
BoomBox is the point of control for iPeng;
Music library is coded as flac;
Did an upgrade in place of iPeng to v1.1.

When a selection from my music library is playing, often iPeng will lose control. For instance, it will be impossible to pause/stop or change the track selection to another (or select another artist, etc.), while the current track continues to play fine. Interestingly, the Controller has no problem at all with any of this. I've cleared the cache a couple of times, but no effect. In some cases control returned after some minutes, but in others, I've had to resort to the Controller under the baleful gaze of my wife. :) For the most part, earlier versions of iPeng worked fine, so this is giving me a bit of consternation.

Anyone else experiencing this?

pippin
2009-04-12, 02:27
Perhaps it's a Logitech issue as Squeezecenter doesn't seem to allow for the reversal of year order (maybe I should request an SC enhancement for the option). Looking at Custom Browse through SC, I can see that it does order by descending years. The problem is that I have no idea how to properly configure or use the Custom Browse plugin. In iPeng it just doesn't have the same feel and usability as the native menus.
Yes, I know. They'll improve a bit but after all the SqueezePlay menus have less capabilities and rendering performance than iPeng's native ones.

On sorting: iPeng relies on the server side sorting, too, in 1.1. The reason is, that the server often has information for sorting that the client simply doesn't get through the limited interface - for example artistsort or albumsort tags.
Plus it takes quite a lot of time to sort.
So as long as the server doesn't support a sort order, iPeng will usually not do that, too. But I'll check whether this applies in this case, could you file a ticket?
Also, I would like to hear other opinions since I'm a bit reluctant to add too many options.

I'll file a bug, but wanted to note I've been experiencing some odd behavior with iPeng 1.1. It sounds a bit like the issue that has been noted with failure to consistently control SN sessions, but in my case I'm running it against SqueezeCenter. Some particulars:

SC v7.3.3 - 25911 (Ubuntu);
BoomBox (WiFi) and Controller/Receiver (wired) on the network, synchronized;
BoomBox is the point of control for iPeng;
Music library is coded as flac;
Did an upgrade in place of iPeng to v1.1.

When a selection from my music library is playing, often iPeng will lose control. For instance, it will be impossible to pause/stop or change the track selection to another (or select another artist, etc.), while the current track continues to play fine. Interestingly, the Controller has no problem at all with any of this. I've cleared the cache a couple of times, but no effect. In some cases control returned after some minutes, but in others, I've had to resort to the Controller under the baleful gaze of my wife. :) For the most part, earlier versions of iPeng worked fine, so this is giving me a bit of consternation.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Hm, I wonder if this has something to do with the comet communication.
Yet.. Does restarting iPeng help?
Can you see whether WiFi is still on?
Can you still browse your library, that is, open new Albums etc.?

Sstar
2009-04-12, 04:02
Pippen, I'm loving this release with the ability to control my Booms on Squeezenetwork. Works very well.
One thing I'm struggling with is the Preserve connection though. I have this selected as I want the iphone screen to go to sleep but the wifi kept on so I can get an instant response on waking.However it still seems to drop the connection? My router is sometimes slow at reconnecting devices particulary when it's already streaming (only 10-15 seconds but for a remote I'd like the ability to get a quick response!)
I thought it might be only a Squeezecenter function but it still occurs when I switch.
Am I missing something?
Thanks.

pippin
2009-04-12, 06:09
Pippen, I'm loving this release with the ability to control my Booms on Squeezenetwork. Works very well.
One thing I'm struggling with is the Preserve connection though. I have this selected as I want the iphone screen to go to sleep but the wifi kept on so I can get an instant response on waking.However it still seems to drop the connection? My router is sometimes slow at reconnecting devices particulary when it's already streaming (only 10-15 seconds but for a remote I'd like the ability to get a quick response!)
I thought it might be only a Squeezecenter function but it still occurs when I switch.
Am I missing something?
Thanks.

Preserver connection keeps iPeng's connection to the server open. It unfortunately has no influence on the iPod/iPhone shutting down WiFi, that's beyond the control of an app.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, I haven't figured out, when.

mikes
2009-04-12, 07:27
Ok. Next try with 1.1.1
I got confused by comments before that the web UI would send volume up/down button commands. It doesn't, it sends relative mixer volume changes.
Simple change in iPeng, would have been nice to know before the release :-(

Thanks Pippin. Sorry if I created any of the confusion. I don't know anything about the code or the differences in these two methods of controlling the volume. I just try to help by describing my experience and interaction as a user.

Keep up the great work.

duhaas
2009-04-12, 18:02
I have yet been able to get the radio services to work. when i choose one of my subscriptions through radiotime, nothing happens, also when selecting a station through slacker, nothing??? anyone else having these types of issues????

pippin
2009-04-12, 18:18
I have yet been able to get the radio services to work. when i choose one of my subscriptions through radiotime, nothing happens, also when selecting a station through slacker, nothing??? anyone else having these types of issues????

Have to guess since I don't have any of these:
1. Do they work off the web interface (recently had some SN outages here)
2. Have you tried "touch-and-hold" (holding an item for 1s)?

vagskal
2009-04-14, 00:15
I was just wondering how the search function in iPeng works.

I get strange results. If I search for "Trenet" as in Charles Trenet in iPeng, I get several results but not one of the 4 VA albums where Charles Trenet appears as a track artists and none of the two other albums where Trenet is a co-composer. The results I get are only artists starting with A or B, albums starting with a number or A and genres starting with A, N or T.

A search in the SC web UI returns the 4 VA albums and one of the other two albums.

A search in Muso, with the SC database imported into Muso, returns all albums correctly.

pippin
2009-04-14, 00:28
I was just wondering how the search function in iPeng works.

I get strange results. If I search for "Trenet" as in Charles Trenet in iPeng, I get several results but not one of the 4 VA albums where Charles Trenet appears as a track artists and none of the two other albums where Trenet is a co-composer. The results I get are only artists starting with A or B, albums starting with a number or A and genres starting with A, N or T.

A search in the SC web UI returns the 4 VA albums and one of the other two albums.

A search in Muso, with the SC database imported into Muso, returns all albums correctly.

There's a known issue with the incremental search in iPeng 1.1 (no ticket yet), that if results for earlier searches (e.g for the first two characters) show up after additional characters are entered these additional characters are being ignored (technically: the second search gets canceled).
The workaround is after entering the whole search string to wait until the last intermediate list shows up before pressing "search".

This issue is especially apparent when SqueezeCenter is set to search within words and not only at the word start because the server response will be slower in this situation.

I suspect this has to do with some optimizations in 1.1 to get server load down while searching or it's a result of the comet communication.

Will have to see how to fix this.

vagskal
2009-04-14, 00:39
There's a known issue with the incremental search in iPeng 1.1 (no ticket yet), that if results for earlier searches (e.g for the first two characters) show up after additional characters are entered these additional characters are being ignored (technically: the second search gets canceled).
The workaround is after entering the whole search string to wait until the last intermediate list shows up before pressing "search".

This issue is especially apparent when SqueezeCenter is set to search within words and not only at the word start because the server response will be slower in this situation.

I suspect this has to do with some optimizations in 1.1 to get server load down while searching or it's a result of the comet communication.

Will have to see how to fix this.

Thanks! The workaround worked. I guess I was just to eager to get the search results. (A bit funny UI wise, though, with a Search button that does not invoke a search operation based on the entered text string...)

BTW SC was already set to search only in the beginning of words.

garym
2009-04-14, 04:23
I suppose this is obvious to most people, but it is interesting that I can control my bedside BOOM (connected to SN) from the iPeng, even from 100s of miles away. With my iPhone using only the celluar network (no wifi), I can see my BOOM as a player, turn it on, change from headphone to speaker mode, select a favorite to play, etc. For me, this is nice as I can change the alarm time and/or radio station for my wife even though I'm out of town. (Or wake her in the middle of the night with some serious Grateful Dead jams...which she hates).

m1abrams
2009-04-14, 11:30
I suppose this is obvious to most people, but it is interesting that I can control my bedside BOOM (connected to SN) from the iPeng, even from 100s of miles away. With my iPhone using only the celluar network (no wifi), I can see my BOOM as a player, turn it on, change from headphone to speaker mode, select a favorite to play, etc. For me, this is nice as I can change the alarm time and/or radio station for my wife even though I'm out of town. (Or wake her in the middle of the night with some serious Grateful Dead jams...which she hates).

One minor security note, if you are doing this without any tunneling then pretty much ANYONE on the net can access your BOOM too.

Even using Squeezecenter's builtin password system is not safe for over the net since it does not use ssl the info is in the clear. While they do make some efforts to secure Squeezecenter you must remember this is an application that is built with the thought that it is used only on a local LAN behind a firewall.

Now that said, I know many users access their server remotely using an ssh tunnel which is a perfect way to access it. This is not possible on a non-jailbroken iphone though because the iphone does not support background apps.

Forgot the important point.
Sure you may not want someone controlling your players but the big concern is that if there exists a vulenabilty in either the SC code or Perl that SC relys on then someone could gain access to the server running SC which is a bigger concern. From that point they could do many not so great things.

maggior
2009-04-14, 11:53
I've read through this thread and looked at the iPeng website and didn't see any reference to iPeng acting as a player.

Can it? Can the iPod Touch play files directly from the server through other means?

Things seem to be really moving quite slowly with SqueezePlay working properly on the SBC and I'd entertain buying an iPod touch if it allowed playback of music directly off a server. It would be cool to have it as a second controller too!

Thanks.

garym
2009-04-14, 12:01
Hmm, maybe I'm confused here. It seems your response assumes I'm connecting to my own local server. The ipeng can't access my SC (on my local server). This "distance" connection only works if my BOOM is connected to SqueezeNetwork (not SC) and SN is what I've selected as the server on iPeng. And I did nothing to turn this on or off, this just seems to be the way iPeng works when players are on SN. Of course, if the player is on SC (on my server) then I can only connect with the ipeng, if the iphone is on my local wireless network.

One minor security note, if you are doing this without any tunneling then pretty much ANYONE on the net can access your BOOM too.

Even using Squeezecenter's builtin password system is not safe for over the net since it does not use ssl the info is in the clear. While they do make some efforts to secure Squeezecenter you must remember this is an application that is built with the thought that it is used only on a local LAN behind a firewall.

Now that said, I know many users access their server remotely using an ssh tunnel which is a perfect way to access it. This is not possible on a non-jailbroken iphone though because the iphone does not support background apps.

Forgot the important point.
Sure you may not want someone controlling your players but the big concern is that if there exists a vulenabilty in either the SC code or Perl that SC relys on then someone could gain access to the server running SC which is a bigger concern. From that point they could do many not so great things.

m1abrams
2009-04-14, 12:21
Hmm, maybe I'm confused here. It seems your response assumes I'm connecting to my own local server. The ipeng can't access my SC (on my local server). This "distance" connection only works if my BOOM is connected to SqueezeNetwork (not SC) and SN is what I've selected as the server on iPeng. And I did nothing to turn this on or off, this just seems to be the way iPeng works when players are on SN. Of course, if the player is on SC (on my server) then I can only connect with the ipeng, if the iphone is on my local wireless network.

You know I never use SqueezeNetwork so that thought never passed my mind. You are correct that I assumed you were connecting to your local SqueezeCenter. Using SN the way you are is perfectly fine security wise.

I can control my local SC remotely via ssh tunneling, can even use my iPod Touch using iPeng by having a computer do the tunnel and allow other devices on the network use the tunnel and then have my iPeng use the tunneling computer as the SC server.

garym
2009-04-14, 12:32
Thanks. I'll have to check into this, as in my new house I'll be running SC all the time with lots of squeezeboxes (2 booms, a transporter, and a SB3) connected to the home server with ethernet.

pippin
2009-04-14, 15:53
I've read through this thread and looked at the iPeng website and didn't see any reference to iPeng acting as a player.

Can it? Can the iPod Touch play files directly from the server through other means?

Things seem to be really moving quite slowly with SqueezePlay working properly on the SBC and I'd entertain buying an iPod touch if it allowed playback of music directly off a server. It would be cool to have it as a second controller too!

Thanks.

No, currently iPeng (the App) does not act as a player. It's planne but not yet there.
There's some kludge solution in the plugin version of iPeng that works for mp3 and aac files:
http://penguinlovesmusic.de/ipeng-the-iphone-skin-for-squeezecenter/
http://penguinlovesmusic.de/2008/07/

atlslim
2009-04-14, 16:07
I can control my local SC remotely via ssh tunneling, can even use my iPod Touch using iPeng by having a computer do the tunnel and allow other devices on the network use the tunnel and then have my iPeng use the tunneling computer as the SC server.

I am interested in doing something similar - I have my remote laptop tunnel via SSH (Putty). Are you entering the remote computer's IP address into iPeng settings as the server location??

bossanova808
2009-04-14, 20:22
No, currently iPeng (the App) does not act as a player. It's planne but not yet there.
There's some kludge solution in the plugin version of iPeng that works for mp3 and aac files:
http://penguinlovesmusic.de/ipeng-the-iphone-skin-for-squeezecenter/
http://penguinlovesmusic.de/2008/07/

Or you could just use Orb instead - I use this for local playback at the moment, and it will do until iPeng gets there. It will play anything, pretty much any format as it transcodes on the server and is trivially easy to set up.

Of course you lose the groovy iPeng interface but for just playing an album or three on the iPod touch it works a treat.

MrGadget
2009-04-15, 04:41
Can somebody please help me with a problem. I have updated iPeng but it isn't able to switch between SN and SC.

It seems to only work with whatever the Squeezebox is currently connected to. Eg if I use the Squeezebox remote control to start a radio station on SqueezeNetwork, iPeng can connect to SN and I can control my favourites etc with it but if I try and connect to my SquuezeCentre PC it says no player found.

The reverse is also true, using the Squeezebox remote I switch to SqueezeCentre, but if i want to switch to SN with iPeng it says player not found.

Any ideas???

pippin
2009-04-15, 04:52
Can somebody please help me with a problem. I have updated iPeng but it isn't able to switch between SN and SC.

It seems to only work with whatever the Squeezebox is currently connected to. Eg if I use the Squeezebox remote control to start a radio station on SqueezeNetwork, iPeng can connect to SN and I can control my favourites etc with it but if I try and connect to my SquuezeCentre PC it says no player found.

The reverse is also true, using the Squeezebox remote I switch to SqueezeCentre, but if i want to switch to SN with iPeng it says player not found.

Any ideas???

Have you read the section on SN here:

Bryan Jan
2009-04-16, 01:33
I believe you are probably trying to start an album with "touch-and-hold"?
"No Mixers available should show up when you use the "m" mode on an Album or an Artist and no mixers are registered.
In which menus do you see the message?

Don't get confused by the "Play Shuffled" message on top of track lists, this doesn't mean you have to play the tracks shuffled, but - like on the iPod Application - this is a shortcut to enable "shuffle" and play the whole album. You can play the album straight from the first track by switching to play mode (">") and selecting the first track.

If you still get a shuffled list, you probably set the "shuffle" mode on the NowPlaying screen (tap the big cover art to get an overlay to change the mode).

What has been changed between 1.0.5 & 1.1? I don't have this problem before. And I can't make it play starting from the first song unless I pick "i".

Can you explain what is that mixer for?

pippin
2009-04-16, 02:33
What has been changed between 1.0.5 & 1.1? I don't have this problem before. And I can't make it play starting from the first song unless I pick "i".

Could you please tell me what you do to play an album from the first song? With "i" you should not be able to play it at all. "i" is actually what has changed in iPeng 1.1

The way to do this would be to go to "|>" and click (NOT hold) the first song (in the track list). It should even turn shuffle OFF if you do so in 1.1.

Can you explain what is that mixer for?

It's SqueezeCenter's form of a context menu. It's what you get when you click the "M" icon in the Web Interface. Plugins can register functionality here that is supposed to be run based on the selected item, e.g. MusicIP mixes, Custom Browse's "Browse by" feature etc.

panos_k75
2009-04-16, 07:35
I do appreciate that there may be restrictions on the SN side of things but I must admit the menu system is a little confusing, especially for someone who is not familiar with SN.

Also, any reason why you use different font sizes in various menus? (for instance the fonts on the album view look slightly smaller and better in my eyes, than some other views)

pippin
2009-04-16, 08:25
I do appreciate that there may be restrictions on the SN side of things but I must admit the menu system is a little confusing, especially for someone who is not familiar with SN.

Which menus?
The SN menu system is not made and can not be influenced by iPeng, it's what SN delivers.

Also, any reason why you use different font sizes in various menus? (for instance the fonts on the album view look slightly smaller and better in my eyes, than some other views)
Will gradually get better over time.
The big issue here is: for the SqueezePlay menus, iPeng doesn't know what it's displaying. For the albums it does, so it's optimized for that.

But there is some room for improvement and ehile I learn the use cases over time, it will grow better, I don't like the bigger fonts either.

panos_k75
2009-04-16, 08:37
Which menus?
The SN menu system is not made and can not be influenced by iPeng, it's what SN delivers.

Will gradually get better over time.
The big issue here is: for the SqueezePlay menus, iPeng doesn't know what it's displaying. For the albums it does, so it's optimized for that.

But there is some room for improvement and ehile I learn the use cases over time, it will grow better, I don't like the bigger fonts either.

Sorry, I was referring to the play,add, add-next, click, hold+click...

Bryan Jan
2009-04-16, 10:15
Could you please tell me what you do to play an album from the first song? With "i" you should not be able to play it at all. "i" is actually what has changed in iPeng 1.1

The way to do this would be to go to "|>" and click (NOT hold) the first song (in the track list). It should even turn shuffle OFF if you do so in 1.1.

It's SqueezeCenter's form of a context menu. It's what you get when you click the "M" icon in the Web Interface. Plugins can register functionality here that is supposed to be run based on the selected item, e.g. MusicIP mixes, Custom Browse's "Browse by" feature etc.

A. Below is what I did:-
1. select a playlist I complied in Squeezecenter
2. no matter what I choose in the menu (ie: +, >,>|) it won't work unless I choose "i"
3. but when I choose "i" it will shuffle (I did check with my sc's setting it was disable)
4. I also follow your advice to click the first song, then ipeng show a menu asking i) play this song ii) add this song then the artist info, composer info, album info, genre, year, show artwork, more info, add to favorites
5. if I click "Play this song" then only this song is played, not the whole album.

B. How can I disable those mixer? I don't need it and I didn't see this before 1.1, why ipeng force to use it?

pippin
2009-04-16, 11:18
Sorry, I was referring to the play,add, add-next, click, hold+click...

Isn't that the same as in 1.0.5?
What would you do different? How?

pippin
2009-04-16, 11:23
A. Below is what I did:-
1. select a playlist I complied in Squeezecenter
2. no matter what I choose in the menu (ie: +, >,>|) it won't work unless I choose "i"
3. but when I choose "i" it will shuffle (I did check with my sc's setting it was disable)
4. I also follow your advice to click the first song, then ipeng show a menu asking i) play this song ii) add this song then the artist info, composer info, album info, genre, year, show artwork, more info, add to favorites
5. if I click "Play this song" then only this song is played, not the whole album.

2. WHAT doesn't work.
Please read my answers: DON'T USE "HOLD". Just click. Short.
4. This menu will appear when you are in "i" mode or you hold the item for at least 0.75s

B. How can I disable those mixer? I don't need it and I didn't see this before 1.1, why ipeng force to use it?
You are not forced to use it, just don't select "m" mode on the navigation bar. A lot of people asked for it.

jacabo
2009-04-16, 14:33
Great application- i have spent the last couple of evenings sacked out on the couch and giggling maniacally while I explore features.

I have noticed that some of quality of album art images is not great. Its especially noticable when i compare the image in SC versus ipeng on some of the on-line services (I use mainly Pandora and RadioParadise)but i see it with my own cover art as well. Anyone have any thoughts about how to improve this?

thanks

pippin
2009-04-16, 14:44
Great application- i have spent the last couple of evenings sacked out on the couch and giggling maniacally while I explore features.

I have noticed that some of quality of album art images is not great. Its especially noticable when i compare the image in SC versus ipeng on some of the on-line services (I use mainly Pandora and RadioParadise)but i see it with my own cover art as well. Anyone have any thoughts about how to improve this?

thanks

You mean you get better cover art in SC? That should not be. iPeng gets the artwork from SC or directly from the online service. From SC it should get full resolution artwork in 320x320 for NowPlaying and 75x75 for the thumbnails.
Some online services - e.g. Last.fm - have low res artwork that doesn't look too well on the big screen in iPeng but that should be similar in SC.

If it's related to your library, have a look at the SqueezeCenter setting "Settings->Advanced->Performance->Resample Artwork". But don't activate that on a ReadyNAS or comparable device or you will not have fun!

Bryan Jan
2009-04-16, 20:38
2. WHAT doesn't work.
Please read my answers: DON'T USE "HOLD". Just click. Short.
4. This menu will appear when you are in "i" mode or you hold the item for at least 0.75s

You are not forced to use it, just don't select "m" mode on the navigation bar. A lot of people asked for it.

1. Will try again tonight to click short.

2. I didn't select "m" mode, as I said no matter it is ">", "+" or ">|" it will trigger the mixer, only under "i" mode the error message related to the mixer not show up. Or another way round, please teach me what I need to be done in the server side so that even the mixer is in the loop it will not matter.

Thanks in advance.

pippin
2009-04-16, 23:08
1. Will try again tonight to click short.

2. I didn't select "m" mode, as I said no matter it is ">", "+" or ">|" it will trigger the mixer, only under "i" mode the error message related to the mixer not show up. Or another way round, please teach me what I need to be done in the server side so that even the mixer is in the loop it will not matter.

Thanks in advance.

Which server version do you use? I don't understand this and I'm not able to reproduce it:
1. The mixer message is a message that the "context menu" command did not succeed, there's only one way in iPeng to issue that command: go to the "m" mode (it's the equivalent for "i" in albums, artists, genres etc. views) and then to a "hold" gesture on an item or click the cover for an album.
It should never appear in a list showing tracks (and the "i" icon).

In the "i" mode, you should indeed get the menu you describe above that let's you play a single track. On menus showing tracks, all other modes will also produce that menu when any one of the other modes is active and you do a "hold" gesture.

panos_k75
2009-04-17, 01:22
Isn't that the same as in 1.0.5?
What would you do different? How?

don't u have all the additional plugin-related context-based actions now too for 1.1? dont remember the exact term u used in your documentation

pippin
2009-04-17, 01:48
don't u have all the additional plugin-related context-based actions now too for 1.1? dont remember the exact term u used in your documentation

Yes, that's the change.
Again: How would you do this?

bhaagensen
2009-04-17, 14:19
I'm a bit of a noob here, but is it correct that the undocumented feature does not work on a 1. gen ipod touch? And no workarounds? PM's are welcome:)

Bjorn

pippin
2009-04-17, 14:36
I'm a bit of a noob here, but is it correct that the undocumented feature does not work on a 1. gen ipod touch? And no workarounds? PM's are welcome:)

Yes, it doesn't work on a 1G iTouch, but there is a workaround which of course is not nearly as useful as the feature itself.
PM coming

JMG
2009-04-21, 08:18
Wow! Great application. Worth more than 10$ IMHO...

Two question (I searched but didn’t find):

1a) Is it possible to display Album titles on 2 lines? I have a lot of albums with long names which do not fit on 1 line. To make place for this 2nd line, the Year line could be omitted.

(1b) Is it possible NOT to display "Disc x of x" (for multidiscs album - I have A LOT of these...) at the end of the album titles?)

2) Is it possible to search in Album / Artist / Songs only? (It’s possible with the SB3 remote)

Thanks!

JMG

pippin
2009-04-21, 08:51

1a) Is it possible to display Album titles on 2 lines? I have a lot of albums with long names which do not fit on 1 line. To make place for this 2nd line, the Year line could be omitted.

(1b) Is it possible NOT to display "Disc x of x" (for multidiscs album - I have A LOT of these...) at the end of the album titles?)

2) Is it possible to search in Album / Artist / Songs only? (It’s possible with the SB3 remote)

1a) Hm. difficult.
1b) I think there's a ticket for that, if not, could you open one Also for 1a)?

Quite frankly, I would hope CustomBrowse could be made into something that supports this kind of configuration. I would change iPeng to support THAT.

2) Why?

JMG
2009-04-21, 10:46
[QUOTE=2) Why?[/QUOTE]

For example, if I would want to search for G. F. Haendel’s (the composer) music, not Ida Haendel’s (the British violonist) interpretations. But I can live with this...

Thanks!

JMG

pippin
2009-04-21, 11:37
For example, if I would want to search for G. F. Haendel’s (the composer) music, not Ida Haendel’s (the British violonist) interpretations. But I can live with this...

Err.. But what does that have to do with "Album / Artist / Song" only? That's the role setting in SC, isn't it?
You can jump directly to the Albums, Artists, Genres and Tracks section in the search results in iPeng is you have many results, it will show an index bar for this.

panos_k75
2009-04-21, 12:59
I am having trouble controlling this plugin through iPeng. I get the menus but when I select an option (like sleep in 15mins) i get no confirmation like I do in the controller...anyone else uses this plugin with ipeng?

pippin
2009-04-21, 14:54
I am having trouble controlling this plugin through iPeng. I get the menus but when I select an option (like sleep in 15mins) i get no confirmation like I do in the controller...anyone else uses this plugin with ipeng?

Gordon (the Author) does :-)
How does it give confirmation on the controller? Through a "ShowBriefly" (the popup on the controller)? That's not supported on iPeng, yet. Will probably come but wasn't too high on my list of priorities, yet since these permanent popups (not in SvrPowerControl, generally) are getting on my nerves a bit, there are just too many of them...
But it's currently scheduled for 1.2

Wirrunna
2009-04-21, 16:07

Thanks!

JMG

JMG, (1b) is discussed here http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=62147

JMG
2009-04-22, 05:31
Err.. But what does that have to do with "Album / Artist / Song" only? That's the role setting in SC, isn't it?
You can jump directly to the Albums, Artists, Genres and Tracks section in the search results in iPeng is you have many results, it will show an index bar for this.

True. But my server is so slow... I thought that limiting the search domain would have helped... I guess it’s time to change my old iBook G3 (600 MHz PPC 750fx)...

JMG
2009-04-22, 05:33
JMG, (1b) is discussed here http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=62147

Thansk, Wirrunna! I will try "treat multi-disc sets as a single albums" and see what happens...

sander
2009-04-22, 09:46
Is it possible that iPeng may one day be able to download music directly from Squeezecenter?
It sounds doable, but I'm unclear if Apple allows this. If I could 'sync' the iPeng without iTunes, Apple may make a customer out of me yet. ;)

pippin
2009-04-22, 09:54
It sounds doable, but I'm unclear if Apple allows this.

As of today they clearly don't.
I believe it will be one of the 3.0 features to allow this with iTunes so they still might not allow it.
But I'll have a look at the library access API in 3.0.

Gazjam
2009-04-23, 03:07
Hi Pippin,

Astounding plugin!
It was the reason I bought an Ipod Touch, and its opened up my large (2400+ albums) up in a great way.
Thanks for the continuing efforts and good luck with V 3.0!

Anyways, what I used to do with the IR remote was if I heard a track I liked I would Add it to my Favourites.

* I there a way to do this on Ipeng interface?
* Would I get the same functionaliy by creating a playlisy "on the fly" - and if so, how would I do it?

Thanks for any replies.

pippin
2009-04-23, 03:39
Anyways, what I used to do with the IR remote was if I heard a track I liked I would Add it to my Favourites.

* I there a way to do this on Ipeng interface?

Not directly. You can use TrackInfor when you browse to a Track (e.g. through Albums, you usually get to TrackInfo by using a "hold" gesture on a track).
For the current playlist this will come in 1.2

* Would I get the same functionaliy by creating a playlisy "on the fly" - and if so, how would I do it?

What do you mean? You always create a "playlist" when you play something with your Squeezebox. You can also add tracks instead of plain playing:
http://penguinlovesmusic.de/ipeng-application/how-to-use-the-ipeng-application/general-usability/

What you can not do so far (another 1.2 feature) is save a playlist.

rossi
2009-04-23, 03:54
Hi pippin,

To briefly come back to post #145.

Would it be possible to at least scroll the title or artist, if the length exceeds the not direct displayable amount of letters?

Please note, that this amount will be different in "now playing", the artist list and the album list.

pippin
2009-04-23, 04:33
Hi pippin,

To briefly come back to post #145.

Would it be possible to at least scroll the title or artist, if the length exceeds the not direct displayable amount of letters?

Please note, that this amount will be different in "now playing", the artist list and the album list.

Could you file a ticket?

rossi
2009-04-24, 23:53
Could you file a ticket?

Hi pippin,

a ticket is filed (#51).

panos_k75
2009-04-25, 17:40
quite a few bugs in this release unfortunately...will collect them and post

Borgen
2009-04-27, 08:00
Hello Pippin,

Super greate app.

I have one question....

If I want to play an entire album (not add it to the bottom of the existing playlist). I select an album in the album list. But how do I do then to Play the album in the order of the track number?

Noticed that I can change the "tool" in the top of the screen, but when I use the function that automaticly starts to play the songs (the "play" arrow) it mixes up the songs and does not play them in the album order.

Is there a way around this or do I first have to clear the current playlist then add the songs to the playlist and then finnaly go into the now playing and select play?

andynormancx
2009-04-27, 08:03
If I want to play an entire album (not add it to the bottom of the existing playlist). I select an album in the album list. But how do I do then to Play the album in the order of the track number?

Noticed that I can change the "tool" in the top of the screen, but when I use the function that automaticly starts to play the songs (the "play" arrow) it mixes up the songs and does not play them in the album order.
Tap and hold on the album in the list.

Borgen
2009-04-27, 08:15
Thanks!

Was to easy....

Also found that if you just tap on a song in the album it did the same thing.

Even more pleased with the app now...

pippin
2009-04-27, 08:19
Also found that if you just tap on a song in the album it did the same thing.

Yep. Works like the iPod application.
See this for more details:
http://penguinlovesmusic.de/ipeng-application/how-to-use-the-ipeng-application/general-usability/

SJobson
2009-04-28, 05:29
I noticed over the weekend some possible bugs relating to the playlist.

For background, I have Squeezecentre 7.3.2 (I think) running on OSX, feeding a Squeezebox 3 and a Boom. Both were synced together when I noticed the bugs. I have about 8,000 tracks in my library.

First, I accidentally added an entire album to the playlist - it's a flaw in Squeezecentre that doesn't allow you to remove multiple tracks, not iPeng. But after I'd deleted about 6 or 7 tracks from the playlist, iPeng shut itself down.

Next, after restarting iPeng, I tried to add stuff to the end of the playlist. Nothing appeared on the screen. After fiddling around, tapping, holding etc for a while I realised it was adding everything I intended, just not showing on the playlist in iPeng.

Whether these are caused by my setup or iPeng, I don't know.

pippin
2009-04-28, 06:29
First, I accidentally added an entire album to the playlist - it's a flaw in Squeezecentre that doesn't allow you to remove multiple tracks, not iPeng. But after I'd deleted about 6 or 7 tracks from the playlist, iPeng shut itself down.

This is a known issue and will be fixed in 1.1.1

Next, after restarting iPeng, I tried to add stuff to the end of the playlist. Nothing appeared on the screen. After fiddling around, tapping, holding etc for a while I realised it was adding everything I intended, just not showing on the playlist in iPeng.

This is a known issue, too, but I haven't been able to reliably reproduce it. Does this always happen or do you have a way to generate the issue?

panos_k75
2009-04-28, 08:21
I noticed over the weekend some possible bugs relating to the playlist.

For background, I have Squeezecentre 7.3.2 (I think) running on OSX, feeding a Squeezebox 3 and a Boom. Both were synced together when I noticed the bugs. I have about 8,000 tracks in my library.

Whether these are caused by my setup or iPeng, I don't know.

I suffer from the same problem...Any fiddling with the playlist will eventually result in un-expected behavior and even crash. In fact iPeng crashes on me very often when I fiddle around with my music...I am trying to find a pattern but so far it seems quite random to me.

Also sometimes the album cover on the now playing screen won't display. Just a blank screen although SC displays it fine. there are some other bits and pieces which I will post when I get back to my system.

pippin
2009-04-28, 09:56
I suffer from the same problem...Any fiddling with the playlist will eventually result in un-expected behavior and even crash. In fact iPeng crashes on me very often when I fiddle around with my music...I am trying to find a pattern but so far it seems quite random to me.

If it's on the playlist: agreed. As of now I've fixed about half a dozen bugs for that page for 1.1.1 and there will probably be a few more to be done for 1.2 (although non that should crash iPeng).

Also sometimes the album cover on the now playing screen won't display. Just a blank screen although SC displays it fine.

Now that is interesting. Blank screen means artwork could not be loaded or is in a format that iPhone doesn't support.
iPeng reties two times so bad connection should mean it's kind of _really_ bad which should also affect control.
Do you have a slow connection? Any jailbreaks? Rare artwork format? Is this remote artwork? Any scheme you could identify?

there are some other bits and pieces which I will post when I get back to my system.
Please do so! Always welcome.

kowloonside
2009-04-28, 14:25
Not directly. You can use TrackInfor when you browse to a Track (e.g. through Albums, you usually get to TrackInfo by using a "hold" gesture on a track).
For the current playlist this will come in 1.2

Does this mean that there is no way to access the TrackInfo of a song that is playing except to navigate back out into the menus, change the control icon to trackinfo, and then click on the song there?

pippin
2009-04-28, 14:36
Does this mean that there is no way to access the TrackInfo of a song that is playing except to navigate back out into the menus,

So far: yes, until 1.2 is ready

change the control icon to trackinfo, and then click on the song there?

No, no need to change the control icon. on a track, touch-and-hold (hold the track for 0.75s) will show the TrackInfo menu instead of playing/adding
Think "context menu". This is probably going to be a more general approach with 1.2 following the iPhone 3.0 paradigm.

rossi
2009-04-29, 00:22
Hello pippin,

from my side another realy minor (almost cosmetic) issue, but worth to change it in 1.1.1 or 1.2.

When you go into the track information and then back again into the album page you loose your previous position in the collection and start at the first entry again.

Enoch Soames
2009-04-30, 04:26
I'm having an odd problem with 1.1 where I add a track to the current playlist but it doesn't show up on the playlist screen. It's there though - once I reboot iPeng, there it is. This doesn't happen all the time, just frequently enough to be annoying.

pippin
2009-04-30, 06:02
I'm having an odd problem with 1.1 where I add a track to the current playlist but it doesn't show up on the playlist screen. It's there though - once I reboot iPeng, there it is. This doesn't happen all the time, just frequently enough to be annoying.

Yep. I'll send out a 1.1.1 version to Apple today or tomorrow that's supposed to fix this issue.
I fixed several conditions that could cause this and from the feedback I'm getting it seems to make it much better yet I'm not 100% sure I hit all conditions since I was never able to fully reproduce this under all reported circumstances.
So if you see any reproducible scheme, please let me know.

pippin
2009-04-30, 06:04
When you go into the track information and then back again into the album page you loose your previous position in the collection and start at the first entry again.

That should not always be the case and if it happens, it's got to do with iPhone memory management. It will be a bit difficult (although not impossible) to fix, so could you open a ticket for this?

gharris999
2009-04-30, 07:16
Gordon (the Author) does :-)
How does it give confirmation on the controller? Through a "ShowBriefly" (the popup on the controller)? That's not supported on iPeng, yet. Will probably come but wasn't too high on my list of priorities, yet since these permanent popups (not in SvrPowerControl, generally) are getting on my nerves a bit, there are just too many of them...
But it's currently scheduled for 1.2
Yes...SrvrPowerCtrl pops up messages on the controller via "ShowBriefly". "ShowBriefly" isn't ideal (there are limits in the current controller implementation of this...no control over the amount of time the message displays....no "blocking" popups, etc.) but it does give folks using the controller some feedback and for now, it's all we've got.

My experience with iPeng (100% positive, btw) is that you can take it on faith that iPeng is doing what you ask it to do...and that SrvrPowerCtrl is getting the message from iPeng. Having iPeng popup "ShowBriefly"s would be icing on the cake.

pippin
2009-04-30, 07:30
Yes...SrvrPowerCtrl pops up messages on the controller via "ShowBriefly". "ShowBriefly" isn't ideal (there are limits in the current controller implementation of this...no control over the amount of time the message displays....no "blocking" popups, etc.)
I think the worst thing about "ShowBriefly" is that it doesn't have any categories you could select and that SC sends ShowBriefy's in abundance...

gharris999
2009-04-30, 12:22
I'm not sure if it's the SBC that filters out non-Jive "ShowBriefly"s or if it's SqueezeCenter that specifically directs the "ShowBriefly" to the SBC. But, for what it's worth, I popup messages on the SBC with calls to:

$curclient->showBriefly( { 'jive' => { 'text' => [ $jivemessage ], } },{'duration' => $duration, 'block' => 0, } );

Again, as far as I can tell, the SBC ignores both the duration and block parameters and displays the popup in a one-size-fits-all manner.

trevtu
2009-04-30, 13:00
How can I get the pairing code to reappear? I failed to make a note of it when I first updated ipeng and now it does not appear.

Thanks.

pippin
2009-04-30, 18:18
How can I get the pairing code to reappear? I failed to make a note of it when I first updated ipeng and now it does not appear.

It should show up whenever you try to connect to SqueezeNetwork. In case of doubt, just restart iPeng.

trevtu
2009-05-01, 00:16
Hi Pippin,

Thanks for your speedy reply. I have restarted (and reinstalled) ipeng, but still the code does not appear. Could this be a SqueezeNetwork issue?

pippin
2009-05-01, 00:58
Thanks for your speedy reply. I have restarted (and reinstalled) ipeng, but still the code does not appear. Could this be a SqueezeNetwork issue?

Ah, wait a moment, maybe I misunderstood your issue.
Did you successfully connect to SN? In that case it doesn't reappear but it's also not worthwhile to write it down because it won't be used again.
The only time when you would need that again is when you unregister your device from your SqueezeNetwork account and in that case my understanding is that SN will use a new one anyway on the next connection. It's not really a device PIN but something SN generates for the pairing "session".

If you did NOT successfully connect it should indeed come up whenever you try to connect iPeng to SN (when you select SN under "Music Sources" on the players screen).

SJobson
2009-05-01, 04:02
This is a known issue, too, but I haven't been able to reliably reproduce it. Does this always happen or do you have a way to generate the issue?
Sorry, I haven't a clue how to reproduce it because it's only happened once! It was after deleting things in the playlist, if that helps.

pippin
2009-05-01, 04:34
Sorry, I haven't a clue how to reproduce it because it's only happened once! It was after deleting things in the playlist, if that helps.

That helps and that one is fixed already for 1.1.1 :-)

trevtu
2009-05-01, 06:00
Ah, wait a moment, maybe I misunderstood your issue.
Did you successfully connect to SN? In that case it doesn't reappear but it's also not worthwhile to write it down because it won't be used again.
The only time when you would need that again is when you unregister your device from your SqueezeNetwork account and in that case my understanding is that SN will use a new one anyway on the next connection. It's not really a device PIN but something SN generates for the pairing "session".

If you did NOT successfully connect it should indeed come up whenever you try to connect iPeng to SN (when you select SN under "Music Sources" on the players screen).

Thanks Pippin, I originally tried to enter the pin into squeezenetwork but it said 'invalid Pin', that's when I tried to get ipeng to re-show the pin.

pippin
2009-05-01, 09:34
Thanks Pippin, I originally tried to enter the pin into squeezenetwork but it said 'invalid Pin', that's when I tried to get ipeng to re-show the pin.

And what happens now when you connect to SqueezeNetwork?

trevtu
2009-05-01, 11:50
And what happens now when you connect to SqueezeNetwork?

I can't connect to the SqueezeNetwork, I get the your player was not found message with ipeng, I can connect to SN using the squeezebox remote ok.

pippin
2009-05-01, 13:13
I can't connect to the SqueezeNetwork, I get the your player was not found message with ipeng, I can connect to SN using the squeezebox remote ok.

But your player is connected to SN and you can see it when you visit the web site (www.squeezenetwork.com)?
What kind of player is it?

trevtu
2009-05-02, 00:54
But your player is connected to SN and you can see it when you visit the web site (www.squeezenetwork.com)?
What kind of player is it?

Thanks again for your help Pippin, it turns out to be a SqueezeNetwork problem. Looking at the account information on my squeezebox 2 when connected to SN I found that my email address has been replaced by somone else's. I logged onto SN and found that my squeezebox 2 player has dissapeard from my account. Looks like they have a database problem.

Thanks Again

Trevtu

MillmoorRon
2009-05-05, 13:10
Since upgrading to 1.1 I've noticed a minor annoyance:

When my router is not connected to the modem (i.e. my own network is OK but with no internet connection) iPeng will not start!

This was no problem on 1.0x as when my ISP were doing maintenance locally I could still use it OK.

Is there a setting in the new version that would affect this?

[note: Squeezebox still works OK - I just can't use iPeng to control it]

pippin
2009-05-05, 13:29
When my router is not connected to the modem (i.e. my own network is OK but with no internet connection) iPeng will not start!

Can you reproduce this?
I've heard it before but didn't really succeed in reproducing it - I do a lot of testing w/o internet connection.
Any specifics, like changing IP addresses?
Does it help to start iPeng w/o WiFi enabled once and then restart it with WiFi on (on the iPod/iPhone)?

Is this an iPhone? There's an issue with iPhone not correctly determining the correct network when WiFi and 3G is available (this causes it to hang for a minute in a reconnect loop with certain routers when waking up from standby). Will be fixed in an upcoming 1.1.1 release. In that case probably turning off the wireless network could help.

rydenfan
2009-05-05, 13:53
Pippin, in one of my rooms I have a Mac Mini streaming files to an external DAC. Can I use ipeng to control squeezecenter on that Machine? or does there have to be a player connected?

pippin
2009-05-05, 14:02
Pippin, in one of my rooms I have a Mac Mini streaming files to an external DAC. Can I use ipeng to control squeezecenter on that Machine? or does there have to be a player connected?

Both :-)
You need a player, but you can use SoftSqueeze, SqueezePlay or SqueezeSlave running on the Mac Mini for that.

MillmoorRon
2009-05-08, 11:58
Can you reproduce this?
I've heard it before but didn't really succeed in reproducing it - I do a lot of testing w/o internet connection.

Yes, if I unplug my modem iPeng starts but then closes down without finding anything - even if the Squeezebox is playing.

I'm not sure what you mean there! I do have static IP addresses for my network devices.

Does it help to start iPeng w/o WiFi enabled once and then restart it with WiFi on (on the iPod/iPhone)?

iPeng starts with WiFi disabled (though obviously without finding my server) but not after re-enabling it again.

Is this an iPhone? There's an issue with iPhone not correctly determining the correct network when WiFi and 3G is available (this causes it to hang for a minute in a reconnect loop with certain routers when waking up from standby). Will be fixed in an upcoming 1.1.1 release. In that case probably turning off the wireless network could help.

No, it's just a Touch. (not jailbroken)

panos_k75
2009-05-08, 15:50
bug report:

Sometimes when my iPhone goes to sleep and I wake it up (while iPeng has been running) iPeng refuses to bring up the "transport" overlay on the "now playing" screen when I touch the cover art. If i restart iPeng it works fine again.

pippin
2009-05-08, 18:42
Yes, if I unplug my modem iPeng starts but then closes down without finding anything - even if the Squeezebox is playing.

bug report:
Sometimes when my iPhone goes to sleep and I wake it up (while iPeng has been running) iPeng refuses to bring up the "transport" overlay on the "now playing" screen when I touch the cover art. If i restart iPeng it works fine again.

Could you try the 1.1.1 update and report back if it gets better?

Dingostrategy
2009-05-09, 02:42
Just want to give my props for the application, which I have and love, and for the support through this community.

Good form, Pippin. Great app, making lots of us very happy and it really is a very neat party trick.

MillmoorRon
2009-05-09, 03:36
Could you try the 1.1.1 update and report back if it gets better?

I still have the same problem with 1.1.1!

pippin
2009-05-09, 03:46
I still have the same problem with 1.1.1!

Hm. Looks like I have to do some testing.
I understand your setup is a normal
Internet---Router)))iPeng
Router---server
Router---player

Setup?

MillmoorRon
2009-05-09, 04:18
Hm. Looks like I have to do some testing.
I understand your setup is a normal
Internet---Router)))iPeng
Router---server
Router---player

Setup?

I have a router attached to my cable modem and my server (with SqueezeCenter) and Squeezebox are connected (both wired) to that.

mikes
2009-05-09, 09:56
pippin - thanks for the 1.1.1 update

Volume control through the IRBlaster is working great!

pippin
2009-05-09, 14:47
pippin - thanks for the 1.1.1 update

Volume control through the IRBlaster is working great!

Good :-)
Still have to write an announcement...

pippin
2009-05-09, 16:47
The iPeng 1.1.1 update is available on the AppStore since yesterday.

1.1.1 is mainly a service release targeted at fixing some issues with wakeup from standby and crashes upon rearranging/deleting tracks from the current playlist.

It does have two additional features, though:

- IRBlaster volume control: If you set volume control commands for IRBlaster for a player, iPeng's volume slider for that player will be replaced by "up/down" buttons that send volume up/down commands through IRBlaster. These commands will repeat at a rate of 5 commands/s
NOTE: If you disable IRBlaster, please also remove the volume commands for the player since iPeng detects IRBlaster using these settings and will otherwise still show the IRBlaster interface instead of the slider.

- Albums and Playlists in Music Services like Rhapsody or Napster will now be shown and act like albums and playlists do in the local library.
This means: You don't need the "hold" gesture anymore to play tracks and also album/playlist playing behavior and look is now consistent with the local library menus.

vagskal
2009-05-10, 00:33
Can you reproduce this?

I have experienced the same issue on my iPod Touch. If the WiFi router is running as normal but there is no Internet connection to the router (like when my ISP went down a while ago), iPeng crashes on startup. The SBC and all the players work as normal.

Btw, thanks for v. 1.1.1.

pippin
2009-05-20, 16:40
Note:
SC is undergoing protocol changes in 7.4. Due to this, not all features in iPeng will work as expected when used with SC 7.4.

prabbit
2009-05-20, 21:39
Note:
SC is undergoing protocol changes in 7.4. Due to this, not all features in iPeng will work as expected when used with SC 7.4.

Can you be more specific? I'm using SC 7.4 and iPeng 1.1.1. I can't find where the Rescan option is. I thought it was somewhere in More > Settings. I can't find it now. I also noticed that iTunes Update won't allow me to set a rating. I could do that with SC 7.3 and iPeng 1.1.

Just wondering what I should be on the lookout for.

pippin
2009-05-21, 03:33
Can you be more specific? I'm using SC 7.4 and iPeng 1.1.1. I can't find where the Rescan option is. I thought it was somewhere in More > Settings. I can't find it now. I also noticed that iTunes Update won't allow me to set a rating. I could do that with SC 7.3 and iPeng 1.1.

Just wondering what I should be on the lookout for.

Well, currently they are re-making the context menu scheme so things around that could stop working. It's a work in progress, so I can't fully tell you, it may change from nightly to nightly.

Things I know:
- Switching to new windows (e.g. NowPlaying or going back one level, things like that) on the SqueezePlay menus is often borked
- Context menus (mixer menus) may not work on some 7.4 revisions.

For rating support you will need TrackStat, which doesn't work on the latest 7.4 revisions, you can't set ratings out of the box with SC.

WSLam
2009-05-25, 21:56
Love iPeng!
But I have this one issue. There is a 'phantom' music source. No matter what, iPeng lists it, but it doesn't exist! It's not listed under the Additional Servers either, so I can't manually remove it. Any idea?

pippin
2009-05-25, 23:25
Love iPeng!
But I have this one issue. There is a 'phantom' music source. No matter what, iPeng lists it, but it doesn't exist! It's not listed under the Additional Servers either, so I can't manually remove it. Any idea?

Interesting.
How is it called?
I'm seeing the same on my Controller but never on iPeng, yet.

WSLam
2009-05-26, 01:58
Interesting.
How is it called?
I'm seeing the same on my Controller but never on iPeng, yet.

It's the IP Address of an old server...

pippin
2009-05-26, 02:25
It's the IP Address of an old server...

Which is no longer present on the network?
Now that's really weired. iPeng will show:
- The server you were connected to the last time (unless you use "forget last server")
- All servers that respond to the server discovery
- All servers under "additional servers".

Do you have any chance to connect (iPhone or iPod) to a different network and to see what happens then?

If it's something strangely remaining in the settings, uninstalling and re-installing iPeng should help.

pippin
2009-05-26, 11:54
It's a pure bugfix release that will do two things:

Fix the crash on startup when connected to a router without internet connection

A Bug causing crashes when starting tracks while the playlist is empty and that prevented playlist updates under some conditions.

p-cubed
2009-06-06, 08:45
I recently updated my server to SC-7.4-26890-whs.msi. With this build, iPeng 1.1.2 is essentially non-functional. Crashes and closes down with almost any operation. My previous SC install, SC-7.4-25661-whs.msi, worked beautifully with 1.1.2.

Is this likely to be fixed soon? I will be reverting to my older SC build until then, as I am completely addicted to iPeng.

Thanks!

pippin
2009-06-06, 20:23
I recently updated my server to SC-7.4-26890-whs.msi. With this build, iPeng 1.1.2 is essentially non-functional. Crashes and closes down with almost any operation. My previous SC install, SC-7.4-25661-whs.msi, worked beautifully with 1.1.2.

Is this likely to be fixed soon? I will be reverting to my older SC build until then, as I am completely addicted to iPeng.

No, this is not likely to be fixed soon.
I wrote it earlier in this thread and it's also written in the iTunes store description.

In 7.4 the communication protocol mapping got changed and this is what causes the crashes.
Since 7.4 is not stable right now and changes are coming in on a daily basis, there's little use in doing and updates and get them past Apple just to see that they won't work anyway.

I will support 7.4 as soon as it's released or at least the interface is stable, but probably no earlier than in iPeng 1.2

michel
2009-06-12, 10:27
When I am shopping for music it would come in handy if I could scroll through ipeng offline. Just to be sure not go for doubles. Will this be possible anytime soon?

nsfw
2009-06-12, 10:35
Is ipeng supposed to work better with squeezeslave or squeezeplay? Or is that irrelevant?

pippin
2009-06-12, 23:19
When I am shopping for music it would come in handy if I could scroll through ipeng offline. Just to be sure not go for doubles. Will this be possible anytime soon?
Don't know yet. It's not as easy as it looks. BTW, it DOES work now if you keep iPeng runing.

Is ipeng supposed to work better with squeezeslave or squeezeplay? Or is that irrelevant?

For iPeng it's irrelevant.

Both have their pros and cons. SP is certainly the more "official" implementation, but it usually has less fine tuned support for the audio hardware on the PC or Mac (e.g. it doesn't sync it's volume with the system volume on my Mac what Squeezeslave does).
On the other hand Squeezeslave has better resource usage but at least my build (which is not the latest version) has some glitches like skipping wrong or not always reporting the right elapsed time. Some of this may be fixed now, though.

garym
2009-06-14, 08:56
I have an odd/new issue with my ipeng on my iphone. No matter what I do as of today I simply can't connect to squeezenetwork (SN) as my server. I've been a user of the app since version 1.0. I have a Boom and SB3 mostly using SN. Until today, this has all worked perfectly. I can always see both these players on my ipeng app, whether locally on my wifi network or even when I'm away (through regular 3G).

I'm running:

ipeng ver. 1.1.2
Both players have latest firmware
SqueezeCenter software version is 7.3.2.

PROBLEM: Without any changes to my network, my SN account, or my players I can't connect the iPeng to SN. I can login to SN on my laptop, I see everything there as expected. My two players are recognized and I can play through SN just fine and control the players. The iPeng is listed as a player in SN but does NOT show as connected. Again, the ipeng previously worked just fine in connecting to SN and would show up as a connected player.

If I instead switch to my local server SqueezeCenter (SC) and change the players to SC, my iPeng can connect to SC server and I can control the players just fine. So the problem is only getting iPeng connected to SN. The server address for SN is the usual "www.squeezenetwork.com:9000"

I've tried to "forget last server" and then connect to SN, but it never connects. If I have the SC server turned on, it will try the SN then move to the SC server.

So something has gone wrong with SN seeing my ipeng or my ipeng seeing SN. Any thoughts on what I might try.

Dave Strickler
2009-06-14, 09:58
I had a similar problem, and assumed it was on my end. I also (a the
same time), had issues with the remote controlling the SB3. I had
unplug (not just power off with the remote) the SB3, wait a few
seconds, and plug it back in. Once I did that, all started working
again.

Rudimentary fix, but it did work.

Dave Strickler

On Jun 14, 2009, at 11:56 AM, garym wrote:

>
> I have an odd/new issue with my ipeng on my iphone. No matter what I
> do
> as of today I simply can't connect to squeezenetwork (SN) as my
> server.
> I've been a user of the app since version 1.0. I have a Boom and SB3
> mostly using SN. Until today, this has all worked perfectly. I can
> always see both these players on my ipeng app, whether locally on my
> wifi network or even when I'm away (through regular 3G).
>
> I'm running:
>
> ipeng ver. 1.1.2
> Both players have latest firmware
> SqueezeCenter software version is 7.3.2.
>
> PROBLEM: Without any changes to my network, my SN account, or my
> players I can't connect the iPeng to SN. I can login to SN on my
> laptop, I see everything there as expected. My two players are
> recognized and I can play through SN just fine and control the
> players.
> The iPeng is listed as a player in SN but does NOT show as connected.
> Again, the ipeng previously worked just fine in connecting to SN and
> would show up as a connected player.
>
> If I instead switch to my local server SqueezeCenter (SC) and change
> the players to SC, my iPeng can connect to SC server and I can control
> the players just fine. So the problem is only getting iPeng
> connected to
> SN. The server address for SN is the usual
> "www.squeezenetwork.com:9000"
>
> I've tried to "forget last server" and then connect to SN, but it
> never
> connects. If I have the SC server turned on, it will try the SN then
> move to the SC server.
>
> So something has gone wrong with SN seeing my ipeng or my ipeng seeing
> SN. Any thoughts on what I might try.
>
>
> --
> garym
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> garym's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=17325
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=62245
>
>

garym
2009-06-14, 10:41
rebooting, unplugging, etc. everything didn't solve my problem with ipeng connecting to SN. But I just noticed another thread that seems to be the same issue as mine, albeit related to the controller (not the ipeng). Seems to be that folks can connect players to SN but not their controller. I wonder if my problem is related. Here's the other thread.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=431986#post431986

pippin
2009-06-14, 23:31
rebooting, unplugging, etc. everything didn't solve my problem with ipeng connecting to SN. But I just noticed another thread that seems to be the same issue as mine, albeit related to the controller (not the ipeng). Seems to be that folks can connect players to SN but not their controller. I wonder if my problem is related. Here's the other thread.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=431986#post431986

Yes, I've had more reports of this and it's very likely it's the same issue as for the controller.
iPeng uses the same protocol as the controller and if both cannot connect, it's pretty likely something on the SN side.

Enoch Soames
2009-06-17, 07:21
This falls under the heading of non-serious bugs, but I always have two 'various artists' folders on iPeng (but not in Squeezecenter) - this has been the case since I installed the first version of iPeng, I'm pretty sure, and cache-clearing doesn't eliminate it. The folders appear to be identical, so no problem there, but I was wondering - has anyone else has noticed this, or is it just me?

pippin
2009-06-17, 07:49
This falls under the heading of non-serious bugs, but I always have two 'various artists' folders on iPeng (but not in Squeezecenter) - this has been the case since I installed the first version of iPeng, I'm pretty sure, and cache-clearing doesn't eliminate it. The folders appear to be identical, so no problem there, but I was wondering - has anyone else has noticed this, or is it just me?

You mean one on top and one under "V"?
Didn't notice it so far, too. Also, there's little I want to do about it (it's how it gets returned by SC, I assume the controller has it that way, too, will verify tomorrorw)
Oh, and you are wrong, SqueezeCenter has it, too (in the Web UI), there it has the top one on every page and the "V" page has it twice.

t-force
2009-06-17, 12:51
So then Pippin - now that OS 3.0 is out, when can we expect to see the next release?

pippin
2009-06-18, 01:40
So then Pippin - now that OS 3.0 is out, when can we expect to see the next release?

Don't know yet. Little time recently but hope to have first betas out this or next week. But there's a looooong list of change requests for 1.2 that I have to work through...
https://trac.penguinlovesmusic.de/trac/ipengnat/report/3

And then there are the general UI changes:
https://trac.penguinlovesmusic.de/trac/ipengnat/wiki/UserInterface
See "BrowsePages" and "NowPlaying"

Enoch Soames
2009-06-18, 07:50
No, I'm talking about the 'Various Artists' folder that appears alphabetically in the V section of artists - in my case the two folders appear one after the other between 'Vanduras' and 'Veils.' As I said, as far as I can tell they're identical.

You're right about the two 'VA' folders in the controller - but they're widely separated, one appearing at the top of the 'Artists' screen, and the other one showing up alphabetically under V.

And there are way more than two 'VA' folders in Squeezecenter - in fact, as you point out, one appears at the top of every 'letter' page in 'Artist,' as well as alphabetically under 'V.' In both cases, the multiple folders in different locations were intentionally placed there for convenience. In iPeng, I suppose the equivalent would be to have a 'VA' folder at the top of 'Artists' along with 'All Albums,' and then the one alphabetically under V, but that's not the way they show up - not on my iPhone, anyway.

Not a big issue. Just pointing it out.

You mean one on top and one under "V"?
Didn't notice it so far, too. Also, there's little I want to do about it (it's how it gets returned by SC, I assume the controller has it that way, too, will verify tomorrorw)
Oh, and you are wrong, SqueezeCenter has it, too (in the Web UI), there it has the top one on every page and the "V" page has it twice.

pippin
2009-06-18, 08:22
Interesting.
I don't see that one.
Could you tell me your SqueezeCenter's settings under "Music Library"?
How many Artists does your library have?

Sike
2009-06-18, 08:25
Hey Pippin

Have you seen it run on a GS yet? I know the release is not until tomorrow (Which I hope is the day mine get delivered)

Will it be much faster or only slightly faster? (dribble)

pippin
2009-06-18, 09:22
Have you seen it run on a GS yet?

Actually, no.

Will it be much faster or only slightly faster? (dribble)

I would say: depends on your server. Most of the real "waits" are due to teh server.
But the scrolling, especially for the server supplied menus (as in Custom Browse etc) got much faster with the 3.0 release, this will probably be even better with the 3G S.

The very bad thing is that the old plugin (0.5.3) seems to crash Safari in 3.0 and I have no idea as to why that is.
Apple's notorious software quality these days (don't argue about the plugin's code quality: whatever it may do, a browser must.not.crash due to that).

t-force
2009-06-19, 03:29
Shout if you need another beta tester!

Don't know yet. Little time recently but hope to have first betas out this or next week. But there's a looooong list of change requests for 1.2 that I have to work through...
https://trac.penguinlovesmusic.de/trac/ipengnat/report/3

And then there are the general UI changes:
https://trac.penguinlovesmusic.de/trac/ipengnat/wiki/UserInterface
See "BrowsePages" and "NowPlaying"

Jonnio
2009-06-20, 07:40
Shout if you need another beta tester!

Yeah, I just picked up my 3gs and would be willing to help test as well

nsfw
2009-06-22, 16:03
Yeah, I just picked up my 3gs and would be willing to help test as well

I have the 3gs as well..Mac OSX.. ipeng owner. Running squeezeplay+squeezecenter 7.3.4 nightly.

t-force
2009-06-28, 02:10
Hi Pippin,

I've been trying to use iPeng this morning, and it keeps crashing out. If I go to view my albums, it says it's synchronising the cache, and the bar gets about a fifth of the way across, then the whole thing freezes, and crashes back to the home page.

Any idea what could be causing this problem?

vagskal
2009-06-28, 02:39
Hi Pippin,

I've been trying to use iPeng this morning, and it keeps crashing out. If I go to view my albums, it says it's synchronising the cache, and the bar gets about a fifth of the way across, then the whole thing freezes, and crashes back to the home page.

Any idea what could be causing this problem?

I have had similar issues (sync freezes and never finishes and sometimes crashes iPeng in the process). The sync occurs if you add some albums to SC and I get the impression that the issues are more likely to occur if I add several albums.

The only thing that has helped for me so far is to restart my router (yes, it took a while and a lot of other futile testing operations to figure that one out). After that sync works as expected for me (until I add some more albums in SC...).

pippin
2009-06-28, 02:49
Vagskal, I believe your issues are somewhat related to your router, although I still don't understand what causes them.

@t-force
I'd say: don't use 7.4. Is that it?

t-force
2009-06-28, 03:01
I'll try going back to 7.3.3 and see what happens.

vagskal
2009-06-28, 03:08
Vagskal, I believe your issues are somewhat related to your router, although I still don't understand what causes them.

OK, you are probably right. Sorry for the misinformation, I saw now that t-force were trying to use SC 7.4, while I am on 7.3.4.

t-force
2009-07-04, 03:50
Ah! Can't go back to 7.3.3 0r 7.3.4 any more, as I'm using the WHS version. Any other ideas?

pippin
2009-07-04, 06:17
Ah! Can't go back to 7.3.3 0r 7.3.4 any more, as I'm using the WHS version. Any other ideas?

Use one of the builds between June 14th and 20th, they work.
Vote for this bug:
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=12569
Yet it does already have high priority and I know Andy is working it.

Oh, or you can try to set "Settings->Logging->network.cometd" to "debug" which seems to help on some of the issues but be warned, your log file will become HUGE so you should delete it on a regular basis.

I have a fix but I won't bring one out for 7.4 before it's more stable, no use in going through an App Store approval process just to find that something else breaks one day later (as happened the last time), 7.4 is simply not stable enough, yet.

Jonnio
2009-07-04, 13:54
Voted -- Was wondering why, out of the blue, IPeng started crashing

pippin
2009-07-04, 15:32
Voted -- Was wondering why, out of the blue, IPeng started crashing

FAQ is your friend :-)
http://penguinlovesmusic.de/ipeng-application/how-to-use-the-ipeng-application/known-issues/

sam3k
2009-07-08, 06:28
Just wondering if it would be possible to have an option to change the light blue background colour on the menus? I would like them to be white.

pippin
2009-07-08, 06:54
Just wondering if it would be possible to have an option to change the light blue background colour on the menus? I would like them to be white.

There is a ticket to make iPeng skinnable but it's not likely to become implemented in the next release, maybe in 1.3...

sam3k
2009-07-08, 07:14
There is a ticket to make iPeng skinnable but it's not likely to become implemented in the next release, maybe in 1.3...
Thanks, I'm patient. There's something about the black on light blue that rubs me the wrong way..... otherwise the software is wonderful.

citoyen
2009-07-11, 12:23
Thanks, I'm patient. There's something about the black on light blue that rubs me the wrong way..... otherwise the software is wonderful.

I have the exact same feeling.

iPeng's fantastic, but I think the blue makes it look less "native" than it could be. I'd like iPeng to resemble the built-in Music app as much as possible, but I imagine not everyone would agree.

pippin
2009-07-11, 13:02
I have the exact same feeling.

iPeng's fantastic, but I think the blue makes it look less "native" than it could be. I'd like iPeng to resemble the built-in Music app as much as possible, but I imagine not everyone would agree.

Hm. Actually the reason for the blue background is exactly that it should NOT exactly resemble the iPod app for two reasons:

1. That would be boring
2. In the beginning, when iPeng still looked more like it (with the same small thumnbails and giving fewer info than it does now) I sometimes got confused which app I was using, so I decided there should be some immediate hint.

I'll think (and talk) it over but I feel there's just sooooo many iPhone apps that look very much alike that a bit of distinction can be refreshing.

citoyen
2009-07-11, 13:13
I understand your reasoning. I suppose I have a rather dull taste when it comes to UI, and I strongly appreciate consistency. My feeling (how subjective it may be) is that iPeng is a bit off. For example, the only "fuzzy" looking icon on my iPod is the iPeng one...

But don't get me wrong -- I'm _very_ happy with your app, and its existence is the reason I switched to a Squeezebox setup.

pippin
2009-07-11, 13:54
I understand your reasoning. I suppose I have a rather dull taste when it comes to UI, and I strongly appreciate consistency. My feeling (how subjective it may be) is that iPeng is a bit off. For example, the only "fuzzy" looking icon on my iPod is the iPeng one...

Yes. I'm well aware about the icon (and a lot of other styling issues). It's being worked on right now.

But don't get me wrong -- I'm _very_ happy with your app, and its existence is the reason I switched to a Squeezebox setup.

Goo to hear that :-)

Govnah
2009-07-19, 20:41
Great app! Maybe I am over looking a feature, but is there a sleep command for the devices in iPeng? Can't seem to find it as I am trying to put my boom to sleep in 60 minutes via iPeng....

NM I found it :)

Thanks