PDA

View Full Version : Marketing

cinemafx
2009-04-06, 21:43
I am fairly new to the Squeezebox world. Located in Canada.Nobody here knows anything about them. We have dinner parties and I hand out the remote. They all can't believe it. I am getting tired of explaining how it works. What is Logitech doing? This is an excellent opportunity to penetrate the market in two directions. Sales and content. The sky is the limit. Who is marketing in Canada? I would love a opportunity to market Squeezebox here in Vancouver. Get moving Logitech before sombody else does!
Rod

Squeezebox™ Boom- Bedroom
Squeezebox™ Duet- Workshop
Dynaco 400
Transporter® Media- Room
2-12 Gold Tannoys
2-15 Red Tannoys
Dennon

waltb
2009-04-08, 12:12
I too have wondered why the word has not gotten out yet as to the nature of internet radio and the Squeezebox Boom in particular. I live in New Hampshire and when I was looking for a Squeezebox Boom (I got mine in November 2008) I went to Best Buy, Circuit City, and Radio Shack. Not one person that I talked to new anything about the Boom and they were not even familiar with internet radio! And yet whenever I have visitors at my house they are amazed at the looks, sound and capabilities of the Squeezebox Boom! They are particularly impressed with the fantastic reception (when compared to off the air signal) and with the number of possibilities considering internet radio, music services, etc. I think that if there were such a thing as an area franchise one could make a lot of money!

toby10
2009-04-08, 15:01
I too have wondered why the word has not gotten out yet as to the nature of internet radio and the Squeezebox Boom in particular. I live in New Hampshire and when I was looking for a Squeezebox Boom (I got mine in November 2008) I went to Best Buy, Circuit City, and Radio Shack. Not one person that I talked to new anything about the Boom and they were not even familiar with internet radio! And yet whenever I have visitors at my house they are amazed at the looks, sound and capabilities of the Squeezebox Boom! They are particularly impressed with the fantastic reception (when compared to off the air signal) and with the number of possibilities considering internet radio, music services, etc. I think that if there were such a thing as an area franchise one could make a lot of money!

Totally agree and I wish they offered SqueezeBucks for referrals as I know I've sold at least three to friends and demo'd it to dozens more.

I think streaming *anything* (music, video, etc...) is still a very niche market. And then just streaming music alone a smaller market still. Internet Radio is well within this small niche.

Most are not even aware it exists, many that at least know about it think it's limited to a computer, fewer still can imagine the quite good sound of Internet Radio because they have only ever heard it on crappy computer speakers.

How niche is Internet Radio? Well I'm not in the broadcasting biz but the most recent ShoutCast Tune In Report (reported monthly) shows the HIGHEST listened to Internet Radio station as having a total of 3.1 million Tune In's lasting longer than 5 minutes. That's all Tune In's from any/all Internet Radio capable devices, worldwide, for an entire month, including those that logged in 100's of times (same listener). Compare that to how many 100's of millions that reached for their car or home stereo AM/FM tuners in that same month. :)

But that's ok, we'll keep it to ourselves and enjoy very decent sound and an incredible selection of stations and genres to choose from with FAR fewer commercials. :)

Goodsounds
2009-04-14, 09:05
I think these are good thoughts, but don't hold your breath. What you are talking about is not typical for such relatively inexpensive products sold through mass market outlets.

Tell me what one-off, unique products in this price range you know of for which one can get informed pre-purchase information in a Radio Shack or Best Buy?

simbo
2009-04-14, 09:14
I think these are good thoughts, but don't hold your breath. What you are talking about is not typical for such relatively inexpensive products sold through mass market outlets.

Tell me what one-off, unique products in this price range you know of for which one can get informed pre-purchase information in a Radio Shack or Best Buy?
Here in the UK I've been in Richer Sounds, overhearing them selling Sonos setups - and I mean selling - knowing all the answers to customers' questions, even offering to install.*
Of course the higher price of Sonos merits the additional effort (I'm assuming the mark-up is higher) but it's a shame to think of all those customers who'd haven been quite happy with an SB setup forking out for Sonos.

* In case you're wondering, they'd never heard of Squeezebox when I first enquired. The irony is that Richer Sounds are a stack-em-high-sell-em-cheap outfit; I wouldn't have thought Sonos would fit their sales model.