Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nojelc
    • Dec 2007

How to switch to SN when SC & PC not running

Hi all. I have had a look through the forum for a solution to this little problem but I cannot find an answer. Can anyone help.

After using the Duet with SN and PC running, then shutting everything down and going to bed, I find that in the morning when I just want to listen to the radio I cannot get the Duet going with SN. No player is detected even though it is turned on and showing yellow. I have to boot the PC and get it all up and running again, then I can switch to SN no problem. However there is no point then - I might as well continue with SC.

Is there a way of doing this? (OK I can do it by doing a reset but that is too much of a faff to do all the time)Do I have to switch to SN before I shut down if I think that that is what I will want to use next time. What do most people do, just use SN or SC and not bother switching between them?
  • BastiaanR
    • Dec 2008

Try the following: keep the "<" button pressed - this should bring you to the Home screen on the Controller. From there you can select SqueezeNetwork as the Music Source.
    Squeezebox Controller (fw r6038) + Squeezebox Receiver (fw 62) + 1TB fileserver, Windows XP SP3, running SqueezeCenter 7.3.4

Download SC 7.3.4 from here: http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/?ver=7.3

Comment

• Nojelc
      • Dec 2007

I guess I need to be more specific about the problem, but that's a bit difficult as there appears to be some variability in what happens when I switch things on. I just tried and this time a) PC was kicked into life by SB, but I did not sign on, b) Receiver goes blue (connected to Network)and c) Controller gives a "connecting to SB" message for a long time but finally gets there. Then I managed to switch to SN without problem.

But this does not always happen. More often the PC is not kicked into life, the Receiver stays yellow (not connected to Network)and the controller cannot connect to anything i.e. the Receiver or a Music Source. In this case I can only get things going by resetting the Receiver or starting my PC and SN. Then I am away again.

What do I need to do to reliably and predictably start my SB and run it with SN without starting my PC?

....thinks .... I switch everything on together with a mains switch i.e. SB, PC and Router. Is it perhaps a timing issue with the Router not being ready before the SB tries to connect, thus changing the outcome. I will try more experiments ......

Any advice much appreciated

Comment

• OppfinnarJocke
        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Nojelc
        Any advice much appreciated
        I always switch to SN before shutting down SC/PC.
        That seems to make my system much more reliable.
        // OppfinnarJocke
        SqueezeBox Duet, Controller FW 7.7.3 r16662, Player FW 77
        Main use: Deezer and Radio Paradise through MySB.com

Comment

• Nojelc
          • Dec 2007

No - after a few trials I can find no answer to this one. i.e. if I shut down after using SC when I turn things back on again I simply cannot get it up and running with SN without starting the PC first.

I end up with flashing red on Receiver (sometimes yellow)& Controller not being able to connect to Receiver.

Thus switching to SN before shutting down, or always starting the PC seems the only option.

Am I missing something? - anyone?
          -

Comment

• OppfinnarJocke
            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Nojelc
            Am I missing something? - anyone?
            I think not.

I have the same experience. The controller seems to get "stuck" on SC and refuses to turn to SN if SC is not running. Whether this is by design or something else, I dare not say, but it is not good behavior in my eyes.

So, I always turn to SN before turning off SC.
            // OppfinnarJocke

Comment

• aubuti
              • Oct 2005

I am fairly certain that I used to be able to switch to SN via the Controller after shutting down SC, but now I've run into the same problems described here.I'll do some more systematic testing on mine and report back. What version(s) of SBC firmware you running?

Re always switching to SN when shutting down the pc, take a look at the SrvrPowerControl plugin (3rd Party Plugins). You can easily configure your server to suspend, hibernate, or shutdown after a user-configurable time of no activity on your SB(s), including the option to switch player(s) from SC to SN before shutting down. Great stuff!
              Main system: SB3 > Emotiva XDA-1 > NAD C 325BEE > Vandersteen 1
              Living room: SB2 > Audioengine HD6
              Kitchen/dining: SB2 > AudioSource AMP 100 > 2-pairs of Polk Audio RC60i in-ceiling speakers
              Deck/patio: SB Receiver > AudioSource AMP 100 > Polk Atrium 45
              Study: Squeezelite-X on Win10 laptop with cheapo Logitech speakers
              Bedroom: SB Radio
              Quiet time: Hifiman Sundara headphones plugged into NAD amp or iPhone + AudioQuest Dragonfly Red DAC/amp
              LMS 8.5 running on a Raspberry Pi3 (piCore), controlled using iPeng and SB Controllers

Comment

• OppfinnarJocke
                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by aubuti
                What version(s) of SBC firmware you running?
                7.3 r3993

Originally posted by aubuti
                Re always switching to SN when shutting down the pc, take a look at the SrvrPowerControl plugin (3rd Party Plugins). You can easily configure your server to suspend, hibernate, or shutdown after a user-configurable time of no activity on your SB(s), including the option to switch player(s) from SC to SN before shutting down. Great stuff!
                That sounds great.
                // OppfinnarJocke

Comment

• Nojelc
                  • Dec 2007

Oh b@+*&^%$er

I have a much bigger problem now. Whether as a result of my trials or something else my Receiver is now dead to the world. I cannot connect it via Ethernet or Wireless, it just sits there flashing slow read and following a factory reset the Controller cannot find the Receiver - it just says "Set up Receiver".
                  The Receiver will not reset by holding down the button - it just keeps flashing slow red. Any hints anyone? I will try Support too.

Comment

• Nojelc
                    • Dec 2007

Bump - r5497 firmware ????

Bumping this up as I note that one of the improvements in the r5497 firmware is "Connectivity while switching between SqueezeCenter and SqueezeNetwork".

Can anyone who has this installed please advise if it makes any difference to this problem. If so I will upgrade, otherwise happy where I am.

Cheers J

Comment

• Hildebrandt
                      • Nov 2008

Nojelc - any luck with your problem?? (if yes - what was the cause/solution??)

Comment

• Nojelc
                        • Dec 2007

Ah yes the problem.
                        Cause : Receiver not working
                        Solution : Replacement sent by Logitech. Luckily still covered by guarantee.

Comment

Working...