PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox networking question

ThoreauL
2009-03-31, 12:05
I've been able to use my Squeezebox on both our wired and wireless network. I prefer to use the wired network for the SB, but the iMac running Squeezecenter isn't close to a network jack, so it's using wireless. So when I want to play music off the mac, I change the SB to wireless. Is this the only way for this to work? I'd like to leave the SB on the wired network and still connect to the SC on my mac over wireless. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Thoreau

GlenL
2009-03-31, 13:09
Providing both the wired and wireless parts of your network are connected and all devices are on the same IP subnet you shouldn't need to keep switching the SB between wired and wireless.

Where do the Mac and SB get their IP addresses from ?

ThoreauL
2009-03-31, 14:33
Glen,

I have a Netgear DG834G combo box that is the DSL "modem," wireless AP, and ethernet switch. It is also running a DHCP server, which I assume is providing addresses for both the iMac and the Squeezebox.

T.

Providing both the wired and wireless parts of your network are connected and all devices are on the same IP subnet you shouldn't need to keep switching the SB between wired and wireless.

Where do the Mac and SB get their IP addresses from ?

tcutting
2009-03-31, 14:57
It sounds like you should be able to keep your squeezebox connected to "wired" ethernet. The preferred approach would be to also get a wired connection to your SqueezeCenter PC (wired is better!)
Did you ever try to connect the wired squeezebox to your squeezecenter Mac on wireless?

toby10
2009-03-31, 14:59
Glen,

I have a Netgear DG834G combo box that is the DSL "modem," wireless AP, and ethernet switch. It is also running a DHCP server, which I assume is providing addresses for both the iMac and the Squeezebox.

T.

If all devices are communicating through your Netgear router, wired or wireless, there is no need to "switch" the SB3 between wired and wireless.

You say your SB3 is wired until "...I want to play music off the mac, I change the SB to wireless..." What is your SB3 playing from when wired? Another computer? SqueezeNetwork?

ThoreauL
2009-03-31, 15:53
I thought this should work as well. When the SB has a wired connection I can only use SqueezeNetwork. If the SB is wired and the mac is wireless the SB doesn't show up in Sys Prefs > SqueezeCenter > Settings > Player. But if both are wireless then I see the player. At one point, I also tried a mac laptop with a wired connection and this worked as well.

If all devices are communicating through your Netgear router, wired or wireless, there is no need to "switch" the SB3 between wired and wireless.

You say your SB3 is wired until "...I want to play music off the mac, I change the SB to wireless..." What is your SB3 playing from when wired? Another computer? SqueezeNetwork?

Nonreality
2009-03-31, 20:51
As long as you have a good signal, wireless is fine. I've never have any problems with mine in almost 2 years. No difference in sound quality either. Don't sweat it if you have to go wireless.

toby10
2009-04-01, 02:57
I thought this should work as well. When the SB has a wired connection I can only use SqueezeNetwork. If the SB is wired and the mac is wireless the SB doesn't show up in Sys Prefs > SqueezeCenter > Settings > Player. But if both are wireless then I see the player. At one point, I also tried a mac laptop with a wired connection and this worked as well.

Next time you are on SN and want to switch to SC, start up SC and try one of these:

SC7 main UI screen: see if the player is listed in the drop down menu (upper right)

SB3 scroll to Connect to SqueezeCenter >

If these don't work then something is not right in your setup. As nonreality said, if it works then no big deal. But you are jumping through unecessary hoops to go between SN and SC. You are also introducing a double WiFi hop that may cause issues down the road, especially if streaming lossless audio.