PDA

View Full Version : Stream an individual file without rescanning?

aldente
2009-03-29, 14:47
Hi folks,

Long time fan, first time poster. I've had a Squeezebox for about a year, and I absolutely love it. I've got SqueezeCenter running on Ubuntu, have a number of plugins installed, and use it just about every day.

I have a question though; I've looked on the web and the forums, but I'm not sure how to describe what I'm trying to do in search terms. Perhaps someone here can help me out?

Is it possible to stream an mp3 file directly from my computer to Squeezebox without first re-scanning the music library? Here's the scenario: My friend is over and we're listening to music. She mentions a band she loves, so I download their mp3 from Amazon Music and want to play it through my stereo right away. Today, however, I need to save that file to my music directory, rescan the music library, and wait two or three minutes until the scan is complete. Is there any way, once I've downloaded it to my computer, I can just send it immediately over to the Squeezebox?

I apologize if there's already an obvious answer to this problem, and I hope someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

davep
2009-03-29, 14:49
Simple answer - just drop the file into your defined SqueezeCenter Music Directory and then go in via the "Browse Music Folder" menu, find the said file and hit "Play".

davep

aldente
2009-03-29, 15:06
Well I'll be damned. For some reason, I thought you had to rescan for files to show up there as well.

I created a folder called "000 - New Music" on my music server so it shows up at the top of the Music Folder list, dropped in an mp3 file and it works like a charm. Thank you!

SteveEast
2009-03-29, 18:25
Even nicer, that track will also show up when you browse by artists, albums, genres, etc. It's now in the database.

Steve.