PDA

View Full Version : Ipeng Question...

zoula
2009-03-29, 14:07
Hi,

My question is about the search function. I have a duet and I really don't like the search function of the device. I have a big collection of classical music and when I rip all my music I didn't pay much attention about tagging and consistency. So on some album the conductor is in the "artist" field some are in the "Comment" There is some CD that the composer is in the "artist" or in the "title" And the worst of all are the interpret with are never in the same field.

The thing is that to make a search with the remote you have to specify a field first. So if the interpret you are looking for is in the wrong field you will probably miss it. When I really want to find something particular I need to use Foobar.

So, My question is??? Do Ipeng search function could behave like foobar and be able to get me every "Boulez" field that is in my collection.

Thank's

Zoula

pippin
2009-03-29, 15:07
Hi,

My question is about the search function. I have a duet and I really don't like the search function of the device. I have a big collection of classical music and when I rip all my music I didn't pay much attention about tagging and consistency. So on some album the conductor is in the "artist" field some are in the "Comment" There is some CD that the composer is in the "artist" or in the "title" And the worst of all are the interpret with are never in the same field.

The thing is that to make a search with the remote you have to specify a field first. So if the interpret you are looking for is in the wrong field you will probably miss it. When I really want to find something particular I need to use Foobar.

So, My question is??? Do Ipeng search function could behave like foobar and be able to get me every "Boulez" field that is in my collection.

Thank's

Zoula

I think it depends.
iPeng uses SqueezeCenter's "search" function and actually I don't know whether that function searches the "Comment" field. I will try to find out.

Apart from that, iPeng does show Artists, Albums, Genres and Tracks in one list so it would indeed find the Artist "Boulez", an Album "Buolez - Mémoriales" or a track "Boulez: Memoriale (...exploisante-fixe..)".

The results will look like this (sorry, no Boulez in my library):

signor_rossi
2009-03-30, 06:58
You might have a closer look at Erlands CustomScan and CustumBrowse Plugins, they might help you. This is just a guess from my side since I have only skimmed over their functionality once. Installation is easy with the Extension Downloader, though.

SignorRossi.

gharris999
2009-03-30, 07:29
I'm pretty sure SC's search doesn't search through comment data. I'm a heavy and obsessive user of the comment tag in my flacs...usually listing all the personnel in chamber ensembles and sometimes the entire roster of an orchestra or choir. None of those names can be searched on.

For the OP: I settled on the this tagging scheme several years ago and it seems adequate for classical music given SC's current tag parsing abilities:

PERFORMER == composer
ALBUMTITLE == Major Work - Soloist, Ensemble Name, Principal Member

Thus:

PERFORMER == Bach, C P E
ALBUMTITLE == Cello Concertos - Anner Bylsma, Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment, Gustav Leonhardt

That way I can search on any of these: "C P E", "Cello Concerto", "Bylsma", "Enlightenment", "Leonhardt" .. and have the album show up in the list of found albums. Searching on "Leonhardt" just now turned up 25 albums by various composers where Leonhardt is part of the album title. What's missing from SC's search utility, imho, is any awareness of boolian search operators: e.g. "Leonhardt AND Bach" currently turns up nothing.

zoula
2009-03-30, 10:00
gharris999,

Thanks for the reply, You're right. A Proper tagging will probably let me find 99% of what I search for but the thing is that all my music is not....

I don't see why SC don't have a search "all field" option and then display everything in there proper field. I don't know a plug-in that work this way???

I began to slowly update my tag but with the time I have to spend on this it will take me a year!!!

By the way I think the only complain I have with my Duet is the search function. Everything else is perfect... or in the way to be....

Regards,
Zoula