PDA

View Full Version : Is there non-web browser alternative to use with my SB3?

lreinstein
2009-03-29, 12:57
No matter how hard i try, I can not get used to the web browser interface, ie, squeezecenter. Is there a way I can push music from iTunes or some other software directly to the SB3 device?

In other words, is there a way to use my SB3 that is similar to Airport Express?

thanks

Larry

peter
2009-03-29, 13:07
lreinstein wrote:
> No matter how hard i try, I can not get used to the web browser
> interface, ie, squeezecenter. Is there a way I can push music from
> iTunes or some other software directly to the SB3 device?
>
> In other words, is there a way to use my SB3 that is similar to Airport
> Express?

Not really, there's some ugly hack, but that's probably not a good idea.
Put it on ebay and buy an airport express instead.

Regards,
Peter

lreinstein
2009-03-29, 13:18
lreinstein wrote:
> No matter how hard i try, I can not get used to the web browser
> interface, ie, squeezecenter. Is there a way I can push music from
> iTunes or some other software directly to the SB3 device?
>
> In other words, is there a way to use my SB3 that is similar to Airport
> Express?

Not really, there's some ugly hack, but that's probably not a good idea.
Put it on ebay and buy an airport express instead.

Regards,
Peter

I own Airport Express and am pretty happy with it. But, I have a decent HiFi and get the impression that the Audio Quality from SB3 is supposed to be far superior. (Is this true? Have any side by side tests been done?)

But, I am not sure I understand why such an application would not be doable and an attractive thing. Direct iTunes to SB would be very appealing considering the # of iTunes users.

epoch1970
2009-03-29, 13:18
Before selling it you might want to try Moose (windows) or SqueezePlay (many platforms).

pippin
2009-03-29, 13:24
But, I am not sure I understand why such an application would not be doable and an attractive thing. Direct iTunes to SB would be very appealing considering the # of iTunes users.

Because Apple has a habit of locking down their stuff.

I understand why you don't like the SC web interface, it's almost (but not quite) as bad as iTunes :-)

But then why don't you give Moose, Squeezeplay, the SBC, iPeng or any other of these alternatives a try?

lreinstein
2009-03-29, 13:47
Before selling it you might want to try Moose (windows) or SqueezePlay (many platforms).

i downloaded squeezeplay for my Mac and it seems like a decent interface. when i went to try it ... it played music from my computer and NOT the squeezebox. I am a newbie and probably should have read something about the setup. can you help?

larry

aubuti
2009-03-29, 14:03
i downloaded squeezeplay for my Mac and it seems like a decent interface. when i went to try it ... it played music from my computer and NOT the squeezebox. I am a newbie and probably should have read something about the setup. can you help?

larry
Use the Choose Player option in the Squeezeplay home menu to choose your SB instead of Squeezeplay.

lreinstein
2009-03-29, 14:34
Use the Choose Player option in the Squeezeplay home menu to choose your SB instead of Squeezeplay.

Thanks this worked well.

2 new questions--

1. is there a way to control volume?

2. is there a way to keep the nice icon in my "Dock" on the mac book? I am confused as to whether this is an application or a web browser and i do not know how to do this other than typing "squeezeplay" in the "spotlight"

lreinstein
2009-03-29, 15:48

Maybe I am just not using the SqueezeCenter properly? The thing I like about the iTunes interface is that I can select a Playlist, and then within that playlist i can select a genre and see the albums in that genre. Can i do this with SC?

aubuti
2009-03-29, 19:19
Thanks this worked well.

2 new questions--

1. is there a way to control volume?

2. is there a way to keep the nice icon in my "Dock" on the mac book? I am confused as to whether this is an application or a web browser and i do not know how to do this other than typing "squeezeplay" in the "spotlight"

Maybe I am just not using the SqueezeCenter properly? The thing I like about the iTunes interface is that I can select a Playlist, and then within that playlist i can select a genre and see the albums in that genre. Can i do this with SC?
1) Ctrl-up arrow and Ctrl-down arrow. A full list of keyboard shortcuts and other info is available in the Slim Devices wiki at: http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/SqueezePlayUI

2) it's an app, not a web browser. Sorry I don't know anything about the "Dock" or "spotlight" in Mac OS. But the Mac OS is so intuitive and easy you should figure it out no problem.

3) I guess you're using it wrong. For example, I can load a playlist, highlight a track, click (or press right arrow), scroll down to the genre line, click (or press right arrow) again, and get a full listing of artists in my library with that genre. Note that it's an artist listing instead of an album listing, but from that artist listing you can click/right arrow again to the albums by each artist, etc. And a nice feature of SC is that it supports multiple genres for any given track.

lreinstein
2009-03-29, 20:12
I think I am getting the hang of it. THanks.

I am not sure I have latest SqueezePlay version. Where can I find it to download? (7.4?)

Also, the keyboard shortcuts do not seem to work on the MacBook (yes the volume does). I am looking for a way to Shuffle the playlist.

anyone?

peter
2009-03-29, 22:15
lreinstein wrote:
> peter;411120 Wrote:
>
>> lreinstein wrote:
>>
>>> No matter how hard i try, I can not get used to the web browser
>>> interface, ie, squeezecenter. Is there a way I can push music from
>>> iTunes or some other software directly to the SB3 device?
>>>
>>> In other words, is there a way to use my SB3 that is similar to
>>>
>> Airport
>>
>>> Express?
>>>
>> Not really, there's some ugly hack, but that's probably not a good
>> idea.
>> Put it on ebay and buy an airport express instead.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Peter
>>
>
> I own Airport Express and am pretty happy with it. But, I have a
> decent HiFi and get the impression that the Audio Quality from SB3 is
> supposed to be far superior. (Is this true? Have any side by side
> tests been done?)
>
> But, I am not sure I understand why such an application would not be
> doable and an attractive thing. Direct iTunes to SB would be very
> appealing considering the # of iTunes users.
>

I for one would be completely uninterested.

Regards,
Peter

lreinstein
2009-03-30, 04:11
for all the negatives of itunes, it is easy to use, and allows me to edit file tags and play the files all in the same program. right now i can do it with airport express. I am only suggesting ( and i dont mean to step on any toes) that it would be nice for itunes users like me to be able to do it via SB.

pippin
2009-03-30, 04:17
for all the negatives of itunes, it is easy to use, and allows me to edit file tags and play the files all in the same program. right now i can do it with airport express. I am only suggesting ( and i dont mean to step on any toes) that it would be nice for itunes users like me to be able to do it via SB.

That's what I meant with my negative comment above.
I assume iTunes is the first such program you've used?
Apart from all the crashing and the resource usage: I don't find it easy to use (all other programs I used before, mainly MusicMatch and WinAmp, were able to maintain a current playlist, the lack of which I absolutely hate about iTunes), my biggest problem is that I find it hard to tag files correctly (especially artwork).

Oh and then, of course finding and sorting stuff can be hard and did you ever try to "clean up" your database after moving or deleting files or folders? Do you know _any_ way to do that out of the box?

peter
2009-03-30, 04:18
lreinstein wrote:
> for all the negatives of itunes, it is easy to use, and allows me to
> edit file tags and play the files all in the same program. right now i
> can do it with airport express. I am only suggesting ( and i dont mean
> to step on any toes) that it would be nice for itunes users like me to
> be able to do it via SB.
>

I can understand that you'd like that, but in that case you really want
a different product.

Regards,
Peter

lreinstein
2009-03-30, 04:23
lreinstein wrote:
> for all the negatives of itunes, it is easy to use, and allows me to
> edit file tags and play the files all in the same program. right now i
> can do it with airport express. I am only suggesting ( and i dont mean
> to step on any toes) that it would be nice for itunes users like me to
> be able to do it via SB.
>

I can understand that you'd like that, but in that case you really want
a different product.

Regards,
Peter

Thanks peter. But I am trying to understand: is it technically impossible for someone to write an application that both manages the music files and streams to SB --- in an interactive manner the way the iTunes/AE combination does?

simbo
2009-03-30, 04:26
For Windows, there's a plugin for MediaMonkey that streams to the SB...

http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21124

...not tried it myself though.

peter
2009-03-30, 04:40
lreinstein wrote:
> peter;411332 Wrote:
>
>> lreinstein wrote:
>>
>>> for all the negatives of itunes, it is easy to use, and allows me to
>>> edit file tags and play the files all in the same program. right now
>>>
>> i
>>
>>> can do it with airport express. I am only suggesting ( and i dont
>>>
>> mean
>>
>>> to step on any toes) that it would be nice for itunes users like me
>>>
>> to
>>
>>> be able to do it via SB.
>>>
>>>
>> I can understand that you'd like that, but in that case you really want
>>
>> a different product.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Peter
>>
>
> Thanks peter. But I am trying to understand: is it technically
> impossible for someone to write an application that both manages the
> music files and streams to SB --- in an interactive manner the way the
> iTunes/AE combination does?
>

It's possible, of course. But you want it in iTunes. It's not likely
that Apple would be prepared to do this. I'm not very optimistic about
the 'openness' of Apple software, otherwise you could do it yourself.

Regards,
Peter

lreinstein
2009-03-30, 19:00
For Windows, there's a plugin for MediaMonkey that streams to the SB...

http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21124

...not tried it myself though.

does this exist for the Mac OS?

Mark Lanctot
2009-04-01, 15:15
I am not sure I have latest SqueezePlay version. Where can I find it to download? (7.4?)

http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/?ver=7.4

But that's for SC 7.4, which is Beta. You can run it, of course, but it is Beta software...

The released version with bugfixes (the "nightly") is here:

http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/index.php?ver=7.3

and is probably what you should be running if you're having problems.

Peter Stockwell
2009-04-02, 01:44
I liked using iTunes with airport express, but my airport express died. I bought an SB classic as the replacement.

My tunes are on a Drobo attached by firewire to a mac mini. I have the iTunesUpdate plug in and iPeng. This gets me very close to the mac/itunes/ipod touch experience I had before. I like the "direct" remote control for the Squeezebox.

What I don't like with Squeezecenter is the web interface, comparred with iTunes I find it clunky. I have an iTunes account so most artwork is found automatically (Funnily, it only displays on the first song in Squeezecenter), iTunes keeps the music file organised. I can find artists and the albums easily outside iTunes if I want. If an album doesn't have artwork I can use amazon, for example, for a cover photo and then easily add it to iTunes via iPhoto. For a mac user, all of this is very easy to use.

I'm considering going back to the airport express, because of the overall simplicity and I cannot hear any major difference in sound quality, that's sisng the same DAC before my hifi system.

Peter

lreinstein
2009-04-02, 10:45
I liked using iTunes with airport express, but my airport express died. I bought an SB classic as the replacement.

My tunes are on a Drobo attached by firewire to a mac mini. I have the iTunesUpdate plug in and iPeng. This gets me very close to the mac/itunes/ipod touch experience I had before. I like the "direct" remote control for the Squeezebox.

What I don't like with Squeezecenter is the web interface, comparred with iTunes I find it clunky. I have an iTunes account so most artwork is found automatically (Funnily, it only displays on the first song in Squeezecenter), iTunes keeps the music file organised. I can find artists and the albums easily outside iTunes if I want. If an album doesn't have artwork I can use amazon, for example, for a cover photo and then easily add it to iTunes via iPhoto. For a mac user, all of this is very easy to use.

I'm considering going back to the airport express, because of the overall simplicity and I cannot hear any major difference in sound quality, that's sisng the same DAC before my hifi system.

Peter

i agree. i think i will leave my SB3 dedicated to Pandora and internet radio

Larry

aubuti
2009-04-02, 11:56
I realize that this thread has turned on comparisons to Airport Express and iTunes, but looking at the subject line of the thread again (Is there non-web browser alternative to use with my SB3?) I realize that we've all missed the obvious answer:

Get out from behind your computer and use the remote!

The SC web ui isn't great, and neither is using Squeezeplay to control a hardware SB. They work, but that's not where the strength of SB lies. Use an IR remote, or an iPhone (or iPod Touch) with appropriate software like iPeng, or use the SB Duet Controller. That's what the SB excels at: listening to your music without having a computer in the room.

Peter Stockwell
2009-04-02, 23:52
but looking at the subject line of the thread again (Is there non-web browser alternative to use with my SB3?) I realize that we've all missed the obvious answer:

Get out from behind your computer and use the remote!

... That's what the SB excels at: listening to your music without having a computer in the room.

True, the IR remote aspect of the SB I like, and I have a Logitech Harmony remote which had no trouble learning the SB remote, too.

Essentially, I know what's on the library but my wife doesn't, she also doesn't remember, always, what artist goes with what album. She likes the clarity of the iTunes interface. I think the SB remote is very effective if you know exactly what you are looking for, but less so if you don't.

Anyway, we're all spoiled ;)