PDA

View Full Version : Combining two filestore trees

chill
2009-03-29, 02:38
Prompted by the '2 file locations' thread in the Boom forum (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=61888), and not wanting to hijack that thread, I'd like to ask for advice on merging two separate filestore trees so that they appear to be one tree in the SC 'Music Folder'

I'm running SC on a Windows XP system, and have my filestore separated into a 'Lossless' tree and a 'Lossy' tree. Within each tree I have subfolders for each letter of the alphabet, so I have:
+Lossless
--a
----ABC
----Aztec Camera
--b
--c
+Lossy
--a
----Aerosmith
--b
--c

When I navigate to my Music Folder on a Squeezebox, I obviously see the two separate trees, and need to navigate into one or the other to see the separate alphabet structure.

It seems that I can use Windows shortcuts to combine these trees, but I'm not sure how to do this. Ideally I'd like the root of my 'Music Folder' to appear to have a single alphabet tree.

Do I need to create a master alphabet structure, and then create shortcuts for all the artists beginning with 'a' in the 'a' branch, then all the 'b' artists in 'b' etc, or is there a simpler approach? The problem seems to me to be that if I have, say, some albums by The Beatles in Lossless and some in Lossy, then I can't see how they will ever appear to be in the same location, unless I use shortcuts for every single artist. Is there a good way to automate the maintenance of this?

Goodsounds
2009-03-29, 17:10
I suspect your folder organization is a commonly used one. I've organized my music the same way.

With no change to your folders, I think the "browse artist" access accomplishes what you wish. I'm not sure why you would continue to browse music folders to access music files from artists that you know are located in two separate branches of the folder tree.

Nonreality
2009-03-29, 21:46
The browse folder view just shows you exactly how you have it organized. As Goodsounds said just use Artist to see both legs if you have shortcuts made to view both.

Goodsounds
2009-03-29, 22:17
Or without shortcuts, if SC is pointed to a higher level folder that contains the lossy and lossless branches below (which more precisely is how I have mine organized).

chill
2009-03-29, 23:46
Thanks for the replies folks. You are right that 'Browse Artist' is a good way to do this. I do this on my main SB2 setup, and in fact without this option I would never have sorted my library into the two trees.

However, I've recently added a Boom to the system. The Boom remote has no letter keys, and I've yet to find a convenient way to jump to a letter of the alphabet in 'Browse Artist' (maybe I've missed something here). I know I can hold the scroll keys to scroll faster, which helps a bit, but I still find it more convenient at times to navigate the folder tree.

I have a feeling that to make use of the shortcut idea I'll need to put shortcuts to every folder that's at the end of each branch (ie the individual albums) into a common tree structure. Obviously that'll be too many albums to do manually, so I'm going to look into an automated approach. I recall a program (?cakewalk?) that allowed me to recurse through a folder structure and carry out the same string of commands at every level, so if I can just find out the batch command for adding a shortcut I'll be nearly there.

chill
2009-03-30, 01:00
Hmm - just did a quick test. I created a dummy top level folder, and then created shortcuts to a couple of album folders. I pointed SC to the dummy top level folder, then cleared and rescanned. SC sees the shortcuts as folders, but doesn't seem to see the contents. I'll redo this test when I have more time, but at first sight it seems that I'll need to create shortcuts to every single file in the filestore.

On reflection, if this is the case, I think I might as well copy the two filestore trees into a single combined location and then keep the original sorted trees as both my master and backup. A couple of batch files will conveniently keep the 'combined' library up to date with respect to the master.

tcutting
2009-03-30, 16:07
Have you considered getting a "classic" remote to use with the Boom? That would give you the additional keys. Additional remotes are available directly from Logitech.

radish
2009-03-30, 17:26
If you use the CustomBrowse plugin I believe it's pretty easy to create a browse menu including the initial letters as the first level. Then you don't have to mess around with the filesystem :)

chill
2009-03-31, 00:41
Have you considered getting a "classic" remote to use with the Boom? That would give you the additional keys. Additional remotes are available directly from Logitech.

Yes, in fact I have a spare remote, but the Boom is such a nice 'package', with the magnetic recess on the top to hold onto the bespoke remote, it seems a shame to clutter it up with a bigger remote.

If you use the CustomBrowse plugin I believe it's pretty easy to create a browse menu including the initial letters as the first level. Then you don't have to mess around with the filesystem :)

Now that's an interesting suggestion - I hadn't thought of that. I'll look into that. I do already have Custom Browse installed, but it's been a bit hit-and-miss setting it up to be honest - I can't say I'm totally confident with it. Since my Custom Browse menu structure allows me to navigate into my 'Standard Library' and my 'iTunes Library' I believe I need a full alphabet menu structure underneath at least each of:
- 'Standard Library'->'Artists'
- 'Standard Library'->'Albums'
- 'iTunes Library'->'Artists'
- 'iTunes Library'->'Albums'
So that's 4 complete sets of 26 menus. And each one will need the default 'Play all songs in selected album' to be manually unchecked. Is there a quick way to set these up, say set up one the way I want it, then duplicate it 103 times?

EDIT: No matter - I found the 'Artists by letter' menu template and managed to get a couple of instances installed, one each for my 'Standard Library' and my 'iTunes Library'. Doddle!