PDA

View Full Version : FM, Internet Radio + bitrate

goldstarsteve@gmail.com
2009-03-29, 01:24
I was wondering what internet radio broadcast bitrate is equivelent to FM?

When the internet radio reports 24 bit MP3 is that the same as a 24 bit MP3 file? I am listening to WGBH Boston which sounds OK at this bit rate (if not FM)- better then I would expect!

toby10
2009-03-29, 06:47
I was wondering what internet radio broadcast bitrate is equivelent to FM?

When the internet radio reports 24 bit MP3 is that the same as a 24 bit MP3 file? I am listening to WGBH Boston which sounds OK at this bit rate (if not FM)- better then I would expect!

Yes, it is a 24 bit file. Although the vast majority of Internet Radio streams are in MP3 format, streams can also be in MP3Pro, WMA, AAC, AAC+, and OGG. So a 24 bit AAC, MP3Pro or OGG will sound better than a 24 bit MP3 or WMA. AAC+ and OGG have limitations when using a SB product. Nor are the SB products capable of utilizing the advantages of MP3Pro as far as I know.

IMHO a 96k MP3 stream from a properly ripped song and properly delivered from a decent stream provider is about equal to FM. YMMV. :)
I've never heard a 64k (or less) stream that I felt was as good as a decent FM broadcast, but then I rarely listen to terrestrial radio anymore.