PDA

View Full Version : Question about bridging

mcgsxr
2009-03-28, 14:59
I am using my SB3 as a wired device, hooked to a headless XP Pro PC.

I would like to use remote desktop capabilities in XP Pro, and there is wifi in the home.

Can I use the SB3 as a bridge to allow a laptop on the wifi network to remotely access the headless PC?

radish
2009-03-28, 16:15
If you're saying there's an existing wireless network but the headless box isn't on it, then yes you should be able to use the bridging to have it join the wireless network (which is I think what you're asking for). The only unusual thing is that the SC server will be on the wired side of the bridge, but I think that should work OK.

mcgsxr
2009-03-28, 20:23
You are on the money, that is what I am trying to achieve.

The issue I am having, is that to setup the wireless bridge, you need to go down the wireless config - but my "server" is wired - so to connect, I need to go down the wired config!

Help!

JJZolx
2009-03-28, 23:15
The way that it's supposed to work is that if you set up wireless networking with the ethernet cable attached, during the network configuration you're asked whether or not you want to enable bridging. The SB should still see your server.

mcgsxr
2009-03-29, 05:39
OK, this is tough to do with no monitor attached, and I cannot bring a monitor to the PC.

When the music PC is brought upstairs, and attached via ethernet to my router, it is assigned an IP. When the PC is then turned off, and taken to the basement, and no longer attached to the router, I think the IP changes.

Does that make sense?

If I ipconfig it while attached to the router, it shows an IP that is part of my wifi range. If I ipconfig it when not attached to the router (but still upstairs and with a monitor and keyboard) it shows a different IP.

I assume that I should enter the different IP address when downstairs, and looking for Squeezecenter?

I might be able to attach a laptop with the crossover cable, and verify the IP when the PC is in the basement, that should help clear this up.

Thanks for your help so far guys, this is by far the most complex setup I have tried in the 4 years of SB3 ownership - I have used straight wired, and wireless in the past, but with the new dedicated PC, I want to leverage the wireless bridge so I can view the PC.

mcgsxr
2009-03-29, 06:09
Got it.

It took a few tries, but now it does connect using the IP that the router had assigned to my "server", via the ethernet.

I can now remote connect to the headless server in the basement, via wifi using any other PC in the house.

Thanks for the help guys!

Club1820
2009-03-31, 09:02
Well, since the OP got his issue fixed, thought I'd piggy back and ask a question.

I have a wired SB3 that I would like to be able to bridge to a laptop by connecting a cable from SB3. to Laptop. Can this be done? Is it as easy as just connecting the cable to both (plug & play) or do I have to set something up in the SB3 to be able to do this.

Wired SB3 > bridge via Ethernet cable > Laptop

????

Thanks.

Mark Lanctot
2009-04-02, 07:37
Well, since the OP got his issue fixed, thought I'd piggy back and ask a question.

I have a wired SB3 that I would like to be able to bridge to a laptop by connecting a cable from SB3. to Laptop. Can this be done? Is it as easy as just connecting the cable to both (plug & play) or do I have to set something up in the SB3 to be able to do this.

Wired SB3 > bridge via Ethernet cable > Laptop

????

Thanks.

But the SB3 only has one Ethernet port and that's occupied by the network connection, how are you going to get a cable to the laptop?

Do you mean you will convert the SB3 to wireless? That would work. You need to go back through network setup (press and hold the left arrow for 5 seconds) and if you select wireless networking but the SB3 detects a wired connection, it will ask whether you want to bridge.

Club1820
2009-04-02, 08:49
But the SB3 only has one Ethernet port and that's occupied by the network connection, how are you going to get a cable to the laptop?

DOH!!! DUHHHH!!!, ETC. ETC.

Yes, of course. I said my wired sb3 when I really meant my wireless sb3. Ok. You answered my question on that also! Thanks.

Mark Lanctot
2009-04-02, 08:59
DOH!!! DUHHHH!!!, ETC. ETC.

Yes, of course. I said my wired sb3 when I really meant my wireless sb3. Ok.

Whew! For a while there I thought I was having severe lack-of-comprehension issues. :-)

Club1820
2009-04-02, 10:13
Not you Mark. You comprehend A-OK!

Thanks.