PDA

View Full Version : squeezeplay at 30,000 feet.

ericj
2009-03-27, 11:56
On a cross country flight on AA, I needed to send an emergency email or two for work, so purchased the inflight wifi, called 'gogo.' I am currently listening to my squeezecenter at 30,000 feet, using squeezeplay, transcoding it to 128K mp3. It is quite solid, and I doubt that I could hear the difference between this and flac given background noise. I'm impressed. Any other experiences
Does anyone know what technology is being used?
Thanks.

andyg
2009-03-27, 12:06
You're streaming from your home server? That's pretty cool. :)

Mark Lanctot
2009-03-27, 12:10
Does anyone know what technology is being used?

Seems to be ground towers:

http://www.gogoinflight.com/gogo-static/pdf/vs_inflight_internet.pdf

ericj
2009-03-27, 12:16
(and I posted this as well, but I was afraid of being ostentatious), but yes, I am streaming from my msi wind to squeezeplay.app on my notebook.....
Thanks for pointing out the ground towers as the source, the download rate seems to be okay....

bklaas
2009-03-27, 12:46
ericj-- you win cool post of the day. streaming from a netbook on the ground, no less.

cheers,
#!/ben

ericj
2009-03-27, 12:50
That image scares me. But, fwiw, the server is the MSI Wind, the atom desktop. There is a healthy discussion in the third party hardware section.

audio53
2009-03-29, 18:24
Thanks for your post, ericj. I am glad to see you are a satisfied customer :-) I don't work for Aircell, but I work for the company that designed and makes the processor unit and WAP that goes on the aircraft. We have never been busier. WiFi on aircraft is the new 'big thing.'

ericj
2009-03-31, 23:37
That this wifi service will be available on all flights...
http://www.slate.com/id/2215050/ has a description of the technology

mherger
2009-04-01, 00:54
> That this wifi service will be available on all flights...

....in particular in transatlantic flights :-)

--

Michael

ericj
2009-04-01, 01:24
Fair enough, the news release said entire fleet, not every route. Although, truth be told, Lufthansa did have wireless aboard for some time on selected flights. That was by satellite, and had very latency, I've read.
Still a nice feature, often neglected by users, is the ability to access your music and streaming when you are not at home....

mherger
2009-04-01, 01:27
> Still a nice feature, often neglected by users, is the ability to
> access your music and streaming when you are not at home....

True. But as I wouldn't recommend opening SC to the internet, but using
VPN or SSH tunneling instead, I'm still hoping, someone will eventually
come up with a SP applet to configure and run that tunnel in the
background automatically ;-)

--

Michael

ericj
2009-04-01, 01:41
Yes, it would be good, since ssh was part of softsqueeze, IIRC.
Right now, looking at the forums, there been attempts to use ssh, but I can't see any well documented successes.

bernt
2009-04-01, 02:54
and works extremely well running as a service on my Ubuntu server.

bagawire
2009-04-01, 03:07
An Aeroplane - until recently the very last place where mankind was safe from work email and phone calls. Thank you for putting a silver lining on that oh-so-dark cloud.