PDA

View Full Version : Last.fm becoming pay-service.

bhaagensen
2009-03-24, 12:14
but does it mean that non us/uk/d-countries also get official access to Last.fm via Squeeze* products?

http://blog.last.fm/2009/03/24/lastfm-radio-announcement

Edit: Just to be clear. This only affects non us/uk/d-countries. It doesn't yield any new features, but allows to keep existing. Price is 3 euro/month.

Extra question. Will it cost to just scrobble from Squeeze*?

B.

kefyn
2009-03-24, 14:07
This is deja vu from a few years back with Pandora.

So for us Last.fm users fortunate ;) to not live in UK/US/D and cannot justify paying directly for this type of service, yet love it, what are the free yet ad free alternatives?

andyg
2009-03-24, 14:14
I will find out how this affects us.

deadkenny
2009-03-24, 14:27
Screws people who are in the UK but their internet connectivity goes via another country (e.g. certain places of work that are foreign owned companies).

RyanS
2009-03-25, 19:20
This stinks - yet could turn out to be a growing trend on the web forcing us to pay to listen and enjoy the big conglomerates music.

We can all say don't listen to their music and boycott, but ppl have said that for years and we still love/consume their content!

I think we might have to get use to paying for what we got used to not paying for.

pippin
2009-03-26, 03:16
This stinks - yet could turn out to be a growing trend on the web forcing us to pay to listen and enjoy the big conglomerates music.

We can all say don't listen to their music and boycott, but ppl have said that for years and we still love/consume their content!

I think we might have to get use to paying for what we got used to not paying for.

I would see this a bit more differentiated.
Last.fm for me is radio, I have no direct control over what it plays, so I don't want to pay for it.
Especially since.... Correct me, but could it be their quality has really suffered recently? I always get the same 30 artists or so, no matter what the start parameters is I set.
And they don't care a lot anymore what I enter, I've already banned four "Pussycat Dolls" songs today, doesn't matter, they still keep coming up - not the banned ones but you have no idea how many "Pussycat Dolls" songs there are...

I'm certainly not going to pay for THAT...

On the other hand: A service like Napster where I can play what I want and which spares me buying a lot of stuff I don't _really_ want but would like to listen to once or so.
For this I fully understand they have to charge since it costs record companies real money plus I get a real value for my money so I think it's OK to pay.

autopilot
2009-03-26, 06:47
All i can say is, roll on Spotify support...

pichonCalavera
2009-03-26, 23:59
Those were really sad news indeed, but I guess I saw it coming since a lot of streaming services are going this way. At least they will still allow subscriptions worldwide.

Interested to know how this would affect, since i heard streaming to non-official 3rd party devices would be disabled.

deadkenny
2009-03-28, 03:25
Problem with Spotify is they seem to be insistent on using their own client (tying you into Windows or Mac and their potential bloatware), and I suspect the industry backing it is not going to let third parties hook into their feeds for fear that they can get around the adverts or optional pay element.

I still like last.fm though. It's a different service to Spotify and others, in that it's all more about discovering different and new music, rather than listening to what you want (I have my archived CD collection and Squeezebox for that anyway).

For me last.fm is at least free at home, but sadly it won't be at work due to the ownership of the company I'm currently working at. I can fully understand the position though, especially considering the legal complexity of clearing rights for every country in the world. Though I would have thought they could run adverts instead of charging a fee.

As for last.fm support in SqueezeCenter, Squeezebox, etc. As it's officially in the product and has Logitech's name behind it, hopefully it will be seen as an official 3rd party app. I also listen to last.fm using a plugin to foobar, and via Mobbler on my Nokia N80 and I suspect they might get blocked. There have already been issues where last.fm changed the API and the 3rd party developers have mentioned that last.fm were talking about access rights to their newer APIs.

autopilot
2009-03-28, 06:18
Problem with Spotify is they seem to be insistent on using their own client (tying you into Windows or Mac and their potential bloatware), and I suspect the industry backing it is not going to let third parties hook into their feeds for fear that they can get around the adverts or optional pay element.

They have stated publicly (including an interview with the boss on national UK TV news) numerous times that they will be realising an API that will allow things like Network Streamers (i.e. Squeezebox's, PCH etc) to use Spotify.

sebp
2009-03-28, 06:32
I will find out how this affects us.
Yes, please.
I'd especially like to know whether paying subscribers from outside UK/US/DE would then be able to listen to last.fm streams through SN.
If not, I don't really see why the f..k I would pay for something I can't use ...

deadkenny
2009-03-28, 06:41
They have stated publicly (including an interview with the boss on national UK TV news) numerous times that they will be realising an API that will allow things like Network Streamers (i.e. Squeezebox's, PCH etc) to use Spotify.
That would be great. Although their current attitude against despotify seems to indicate they're not happy unless they have full control. They originally accused it of being a hack attempt to steal passwords, although now they tolerate it but only for premium account access, which I suspect will be the case with the official API. i.e. no "free with adverts" access, premium only.

But anyway, I'm not interested in Spotify until I can access it in the same way I can access last.fm and the like. At the moment it's nothing more than an iTunes kind of app but with a live stream and adverts (and I won't touch iTunes with a 50 foot barge pole either). I'm not sure I'd pay for a premium account to get access to it on the Squeezebox though.

verypsb
2009-04-05, 01:46

Spotify is NOT free. (At least, in The Netherlands it isn't)

kefyn
2009-04-06, 11:45
Well, it is April and Last.fm is still working. They have postponed our demise. http://blog.last.fm/2009/03/30/radio-announcement-revisited

bhaagensen
2009-04-23, 13:09
... And so the day came:

http://blog.last.fm/2009/04/22/radio-subscriptions

All services (such as scrobbling) except listening to music remains free though...

benp
2009-04-25, 00:23
On my last.fm web page it tells me that my 30 free tracks have been used up and sure enough I can't listen via my PC but my Last.fm stations still play through my SB using SqueezeNetwork?!

davep
2009-04-25, 03:00
On my last.fm web page it tells me that my 30 free tracks have been used up and sure enough I can't listen via my PC but my Last.fm stations still play through my SB using SqueezeNetwork?!

Same for me. I started it up via SqueezeCenter and it ran for 8 hours without stopping. And another funny thing - on my last.fm page there is a link to "What's New" - which takes me to a blog for 17th July 2008! Here they announce the "New Last.fm".

Am I stuck in a time warp before all of the 'pay to play' stuff started?

davep

isolationism
2009-05-02, 09:29
So here I am, a stupid Canadian who recently decided that Last.fm was pretty cool and unlike 99.9999% of their userbase (apparently) agreed to buy a subscription knowing I'd be able to listen to it everywhere in the house, not just while I'm staring at my computer screen.

Then, as I'm trying to set it up, I find out as a virtual footnote on the account registration page that Last.fm streaming support is not available outside the US/UK/DE. I am more than a little pissed after having just spent the money for a year's worth of service.

What I am hoping a Slim/Squeeze developer can tell me is this: What is the barrier to being able to stream to paying customers in Canada? There cannot possibly be an argument involving some copyright lobby or other legal concerns. I have not only been paying levies on all electronic storage media for years, now I am directly paying the service provider in question. If this is a Last.fm problem I would really, really appreciate hearing back ASAP so I can contact them and request a refund until they play ball with third-party services like SqueezeNetwork. Otherwise I am not getting any value for my money.

Thanks!

pippin
2009-05-02, 09:57
So here I am, a stupid Canadian who recently decided that Last.fm was pretty cool and unlike 99.9999% of their userbase (apparently) agreed to buy a subscription knowing I'd be able to listen to it everywhere in the house, not just while I'm staring at my computer screen.

Then, as I'm trying to set it up, I find out as a virtual footnote on the account registration page that Last.fm streaming support is not available outside the US/UK/DE. I am more than a little pissed after having just spent the money for a year's worth of service.

What I am hoping a Slim/Squeeze developer can tell me is this: What is the barrier to being able to stream to paying customers in Canada? There cannot possibly be an argument involving some copyright lobby or other legal concerns. I have not only been paying levies on all electronic storage media for years, now I am directly paying the service provider in question. If this is a Last.fm problem I would really, really appreciate hearing back ASAP so I can contact them and request a refund until they play ball with third-party services like SqueezeNetwork. Otherwise I am not getting any value for my money.

Thanks!
Have you tried to set the country in your SqueezeNetwork account to e.g. "US"?
If that doesn't help it's most likely a Last.fm issue.

isolationism
2009-05-02, 10:57
Pippin, thanks very much for the reply and for the suggestion -- I never actually tried as I assumed the service would be using an IP location database. Sure enough, when I changed my location from Canada --> United States in my SqueezeNetwork profile, the following message appears in red:

"We have detected that you are in a different country than you have selected. You may not have access to some music services."

Not surprisingly, when attempting to access Last.fm radio via any of several players in the house, I continue to get the same error:

"Your Last.fm account is not yet authorized to use SqueezeNetwork. Please visit www.squeezenetwork.com to authorize access."

Of course my Last.fm account is associated and working just fine; tracks have scrobbled for me with no problem for months now.

benp
2009-05-03, 05:28
I think you should still be able to get it to work, somebody on here will know what's going on.

I get the same message as you about it knowing that I am lying about still be ing in the UK (now based in Aus). But I can still stream Last.fm through SqueezeNetwork OK

I used to get that message about not being authorized and it was actually that i hadn't completed something on either the Last.fm or SN site, can't remember what it was though!

Sorry I can't be more help but someone on here will know, if it works for me in Australia then there is no reaon why it can;t work for you in Canada and I'm not even a subscriber.

pippin
2009-05-03, 05:50
another thing you could try is to use the SqueezeScrobbler plugin instead of the native one.

isolationism
2009-05-03, 13:45
Okay, feeling slightly stupid -- when I set it to US again and went to the "Last.fm" tab I now noticed there is a link that says "Authorize this account" -- a click and a button press later the account was authorized and now I can play Last.fm on my squeezeboxen.

Thanks so much for helping out, guys. I would have been seriously bummed if the only place I could enjoy some Last.fm listening is while at my desk with two SB3s, a Boom and a Transporter distributed throughout the house. :P

benp
2009-05-04, 22:08
Yeah I made exactly the same mistake, I knew it sounded familiar! Glad you got it working anyway, you should find that when your subscription runs out it will still work on your SB devices but won't work on the web interface.