PDA

View Full Version : Spare parts outside the US - FAO Sean.

b33k34
2009-03-22, 10:47
I'm going to keep posting on here because I'm really rather frustrated with Logitech. I've been a customer since the SB1. I had two of those, replaced them with two SB2's, have an SB3 and am on the verge of buying a boom and a controller.

However, I'm mighty pissed that I can't get a replacemnt wall wart for one of my existing players. Logitech are completely unhelpful - just giving "sorry, we don't sell them" responses. I've wasted over 20 on a POS power supply from CPC and am now back to a dead player in my office.

They're available in the US - why can can't you ship to the rest of the world? You were able to ship internationally before the Logitech takeover - what's the problem now?

At the very least identify a suitable replacement part from a third party supplier. Please.

Peter314
2009-03-22, 10:54
It would be nice if components and accessories were as freely available outside the US as they are in the US. However, as I posted below, for a replacement UK wallwart, try asking Patrick Dixon.

seanadams
2009-03-22, 11:18
It's ridiculous. I don't know what to say except that I've petitioned for this madly and we continue to prove ourselves incapable.

The specs for the power supply are: 5V, 2A, DC connector inside diameter: 2.5mm outside diameter 5.5mm.

These are very easy to find in the US (eg do a parametric search at Digikey, Mouser, Jameco). Even Radio shack has them - at one time their stuff was available in the UK under the Archer brand.

There are many UK guys on these forums, I'm surprised you haven't found an answer. Much of the attention paid to aftermarket power supplies has been on linear power supply "upgrades". If you look for switching supplies you will have a much easier time, as nobody really makes linear 5V wall warts any more.

seanadams
2009-03-22, 11:20
These are very easy to find in the US (eg do a parametric search at Digikey, Mouser, Jameco).

This may turn up brand names and model numbers that you can find elsewhere...

Richie
2009-03-22, 13:09
Try this:

http://www.watt-power.co.uk/catalogue/watts-psm11r-phihong-interchangeable-plug-adapter-p-48.html?osCsid=f7b3d075dfba10731bbdd13a60b1368e

it's same as the one shipping with current SB3s apart from the connector. You'll need one of these to go with it:

http://www.watt-power.co.uk/catalogue/plug-adapter-21x55-25x55-jack-p-101.html

Richard

b33k34
2009-03-22, 14:23
Thanks for the replies. I've sourced one from Patrick for now and keeping the specs and link in this post is helpful.

Please keep up the pressure on Logitech - i presume one of the reasons for using external 'wall warts' rather than internal power supplies is because they're the most likely part to fail. There is money to be made here as well - the new remote is much better than the original and i'd happily upgrade my v1's.

moley6knipe
2009-03-22, 14:47
+1 for the remote. I need one for my 2nd SB3 (I trod on it. Twas not a good day). At the moment i'd need to buy another SB3 to get one. Which obviously is pointless! Marginally cheaper to buy an iPod touch and use iPeng, of course.

seanadams
2009-03-22, 14:54
i presume one of the reasons for using external 'wall warts' rather than internal power supplies is because they're the most likely part to fail.

Not really - line voltage has implications for product safety, cost, and regulatory compliance. Usually when you need <10W, it's better to use a wall wart.

pfarrell
2009-03-22, 15:05
b33k34 wrote:
> i presume one of the reasons
> for using external 'wall warts' rather than internal power supplies is
> because they're the most likely part to fail.

I don't work for SD or Logitech, but in my day job, this is not the
driver. Usually, its more that international safety rules have been met
by the power supply vendor, and you don't have to get your low voltage
device approved. You get to design for nice easy 5V DC, and let someone
else handle 120V, 240V, 50hz, 60 hz, etc.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

Moonbase
2009-03-23, 07:22
Sean, your honest and open words are appreciated.

It would really be great if spare parts supply for non-US regions could be improved! I think mainly of power supplies, SBC chargers, and spare SBC batteries Please also consider that not everyone is willing to use credit cards (in Europe, giro transfer is much more appreciated, even if needing to prepay).

radish
2009-03-23, 10:01
You could try these links too:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=48484
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=49063

peter
2009-03-23, 11:55
Moonbase wrote:
> Sean, your honest and open words are appreciated.
>
> It would really be great if spare parts supply for non-US regions could
> be improved! I think mainly of power supplies, SBC chargers, and spare
> SBC batteries Please also consider that not everyone is willing to
> use credit cards (in Europe, giro transfer is much more appreciated,
> even if needing to prepay).
>

Giro transfer? In Europe? Everybody here uses credit cards or paypal or
some local thing called iDeal. CC's are fine by me.

Regards,
Peter

Moonbase
2009-03-23, 16:29
Everybody here uses credit cards […]

"Everybody" would include me, which invalidates your statement :-)
I do use Paypal, though.

I still feel very safe knowing that a great deal of potential SB customers would not use credit cards.

But anyway, it was just a suggestion at Logitech not to forget that part of their clientele.

mparry
2009-03-23, 16:34
Just so everyone knows www.slimdevices.com Will send accessories overseas. It is not the best solution as we do have to charge shipping (which is a bit expensive) and we do not have all parts available for sael( no sb3 non backlit remotes or power supplies )however it is a solution.
If you would like to order parts from overseas please send an email to sales@slimdevices.com and include your shipping address so we can give you a shipping quote.

peter
2009-03-28, 08:21
Moonbase wrote:
> peter;409249 Wrote:
>
>> Everybody here uses credit cards []
>>
>
> "Everybody" would include me, which invalidates your statement :-)
> I -do- use Paypal, though.

Let's amend that for the literally minded: Everybody who is anybody... ;)

Regards,
Peter

yeomanspc
2009-03-28, 13:45
As someone mentioned further up, and elsewhere in the forums, the stuff from WATT-POWER (now called Heading Power) here
http://www.watt-power.co.uk
is excellent, reasonably priced, and arrives PDQ. I bought some [Logitech]units in the US with US supplies (much cheaper when the dollar was 2:1) and got replacement UK supplies - also have replaced other power supplies that went faulty - don't bother with Maplin etc. - get the proper stuff from these people. I actually believe the quality of their power supplies is better than the originals supplies by Logitech.
And no - I have no association with them other than being fortunate to be a customer.

y360
2009-03-30, 13:59
If worst comes to worst, you could all open an account with a mail forwarding agent such as http://www.maillinkplus.com
Then order to the US address and have it forwarded
A bit like using VPN...
But it is not cheap