PDA

View Full Version : New Boom disables server sleep

chill
2009-03-21, 08:40
Hi

I've just bought a Boom and am very happy with it. However, my server will no longer go to sleep, so I'm hoping someone can help me set it up correctly.

I'm running a Windows XP installation of SC 7.3.2, with my music on an external USB hard disk. I've set up the host PC to go to sleep after 20 minutes of inactivity, and I've set up the WOL function, so that turning on my SB2 wakes it up. My SB2 is actually custom built into my preamp, so I usually turn it off completely by switching off its power supply. Until I added the Boom, this worked well - the host would not sleep while the SB2 was playing, it would go to sleep some time after I powered off the SB2, and it would wake up again when the SB2 power was reapplied.

Now, however, with the Boom connected wirelessly, I can send the host PC to sleep, but it wakes up immediately. I believe this is because the Boom doesn't actually power off, in the way that I've been turning the SB2 off, but retains a network connection, and this is clearly enough to keep my server awake.

Is there a way to let my server go to sleep when the Boom is off (ie turned off with the remote but with the power still applied)?

aubuti
2009-03-21, 15:18
Now, however, with the Boom connected wirelessly, I can send the host PC to sleep, but it wakes up immediately. I believe this is because the Boom doesn't actually power off, in the way that I've been turning the SB2 off, but retains a network connection, and this is clearly enough to keep my server awake.

Is there a way to let my server go to sleep when the Boom is off (ie turned off with the remote but with the power still applied)?
I am fairly certain that power off for the Boom and the SB2 are identical: they are really "standby" modes. SC sees them, and they are ready to accept remote commands from the IR remote, Duet, or web ui. There must be something else that's different in your setup. (Fyi, my server sleeps fine with any of the Boom, SB2, SB3, SBR powered "off".

chill
2009-03-21, 15:30
Hi Aubuti

Yes - that's just it - there IS something different. My SB2 is built into my preamp box, and when I flick the power switch on the preamp, the power to the SB2 is removed.

So I guess what I need to find out is, how do I get the SC host to go to sleep while I have a slim device in its more conventional 'sleeping' off state.

You seem to have achieved this, but in my setup the SC host just wakes up immediately unless I remove the power to all the slim devices.

aubuti
2009-03-22, 14:04
Hi Aubuti

Yes - that's just it - there IS something different. My SB2 is built into my preamp box, and when I flick the power switch on the preamp, the power to the SB2 is removed.

So I guess what I need to find out is, how do I get the SC host to go to sleep while I have a slim device in its more conventional 'sleeping' off state.

You seem to have achieved this, but in my setup the SC host just wakes up immediately unless I remove the power to all the slim devices.
Ahh yes. Physically removing the power from the SB2 is a completely different thing, because that gets you a true power off state. I assume that the obvious solution (eg, switching the Boom off via a power strip or just pulling the plug) isn't what you're looking for, and that's understandable.

I use, and recommend, the SrvrPowerControl plugin. You'll find it in the 3rd Party Plugin forum. It's very flexible and powerful, and therefore can get a little complex. I have mine set to suspend my server to RAM (S3) if none of my players has been playing for 30 minutes, and even have it switch some of the players automatically to SqueezeNetwork so that they still display the clock. But you can configure it to your liking.

chill
2009-03-22, 17:27
Thanks Aubuti - I'll take a look at that plugin, as it seems to add some useful functionality.

In the meantime I think I may have solved the original problem. My NIC was set to wake up to 'Pattern Matching'. I've changed it to 'Magic Packet' and it seems to go to sleep even with a powered (but sleeping) Boom on the network.

I Googled 'pattern matching', and the pattern that needs to be matched doesn't seem like the sort of thing that could accidentally be sent by a device. It appears that the Slim devices are sending out these magic packets continuously, even when sleeping. Is that right?