PDA

View Full Version : Streaming audio from Worldspace Radio to hi-fi system over wireless LAN

onyxgaze
2009-03-21, 03:40
I have a WOrldspace Satellite radio from which I would like to stream audio content to my hi-fi system over a wireless network.

What would be the best way of doing this?

A few options come to mind:
1. If I use a RCA to USB convertor and connect the audio signal from the Worldspace radio to a PC/ Mac running Squeezecenter, can I stream this content over to Squeezebox receivers which are connected to my hi-fi system?

2. Just ran out of ideas..

Any suggestions are more than welcome.

Thanks in advance.

funkstar
2009-03-21, 04:13
A few options come to mind:
1. If I use a RCA to USB convertor and connect the audio signal from the Worldspace radio to a PC/ Mac running Squeezecenter, can I stream this content over to Squeezebox receivers which are connected to my hi-fi system?

2. Just ran out of ideas..
you shouldn't need to use a RAC to USB converter, just use the line in on your sound card (assuming there is one in the system). Then use the Wav Input plugin to get SqueezeCenter to make that audio available to players connected to it. Note, you will have no control over the stream so will still need to control the Woldspace reciever manually.

bpa
2009-03-21, 04:26
There's no WaveInput on mac.

So for a Mac solution you could use vlc and convert the line-in sound into a http mp3 stream and then just play it like radio station. This solution has thr advantage that it can be separate from SC systems.

onyxgaze
2009-03-21, 06:23
Bpa,

If I understood you right:
* I use a RCA to USB convertor and connect the output from the worldspace radio to the USB port of the mac.
* Now how do I get VLC to use the USB input as an audio input?
* Once VLC gets the feed - what protocol do I use to stream?
* You mention this would be independent of SC (Squeezecentre?). So how would I be able to send this audio stream out to my hi-fi system? I was thinking of using a squeezebox receiver at the hi-fi system.

Thanks in advance.

radish
2009-03-21, 08:21
You don't say what Mac you have but I'm sure it has an audio-in port, you don't need the USB thingy.

bpa
2009-03-21, 08:29
If I understood you right:
* I use a RCA to USB convertor and connect the output from the worldspace radio to the USB port of the mac.
* Now how do I get VLC to use the USB input as an audio input?

Audio capture is key to this approach. I know VLC on Windows and Linux can be used to capture/record from a line-in or microphone but I am not sure about OSX. You need to verify this.

* Once VLC gets the feed - what protocol do I use to stream?

Standard http mp3 stream. The command line option below will stream MP3 128kbit/sec to port 8088 if PC has IP address 192.168.1.103. You would use SC Tune-in to the URL http://192.168.1.103:8088/vlcstream.mp3

--sout "#transcode{acodec=mpga,ab=128}:standard{access=htt p,mux=raw,dst=192.168.1.103:8088/vlcstream.mp3}"

* You mention this would be independent of SC (Squeezecentre?). So how would I be able to send this audio stream out to my hi-fi system? I was thinking of using a squeezebox receiver at the hi-fi system.

What I meant was the PC running VLC does not have to be the same PC running SC. Solution using plugin would require the USB audio connector to be on the same PC as SC.

onyxgaze
2009-03-22, 10:40
When I checked the VLC docs, it said under the section "Streaming: Howto", that":
"Note that VLC does not support streaming from live video or audio sources on Mac OSX. "

I have posted the query on the Videolan forums and am waiting for a reply.

In the meantime, is there no other way I can get the WOrldspace audio on the Squeezenetwork in a Mac OS X environment?

Thank in advance.