PDA

View Full Version : MusicIP: Can't get it to work on my new PC with SC

ModelCitizen
2009-03-20, 01:48
Hello,

I had MusicIP running in headless mode with SlimCenter just fine on my last PC, but I just can't get it to work properly on this one... and I have now run out of ideas.

I don't think the problem resides with SC but just in case I'm on a 7.3.3 nightly on XP.

I've been using the SpiceFly headless mode instructions, following them to the letter. MusicIP itself works fine and I have a nice 19mb library at this location:

C:\Documents and Settings\User\Application Data\MusicIP\MusicIP Mixer\default.m3lib.

I've changed the MIP gui to work on port 10003, adjusted the preferences as per SpiceFly instructions and installed (and adjusted) the replacement ini file... and installed the service and web interface.

The service is running file. The ini file points to the MusicIP library using the path above and sets the port as 10002 (see ini file below).

My problem is that the web interface at http://localhost:10002 does not appear to see my library (i.e. there are zero songs or mixable songs listed and running "Test Mix Creation" produces "MusicIP API error - invalid request or internal error").... and neither does SlimCenter.

I have poured over the instructions but am as certain as I can be that I've made no mistakes.

There is one oddity with my new computer, and I mention this in case it has a bearing, (as it does look like I might have a path problem), although I can't see how it can have:
I log into Windows using my own name (and password), however my user directory in C:\Documents and Settings is not named after my login and is just plain "User". I have no idea why.

Any help warmly appreciated.

MC

[mix]
mixsize=10 tracks
restrict=3 tracks
style=20
variety=0
seed=1
[server]
proxy=0
host=
proxyport=
authentication=
user=
password=
[services]
key=
cache=C:\Documents and Settings\User\Application Data\MusicIP\MusicIP Mixer\default.m3lib
port=10002
tivo=0
upnp=0
api=1
readonly=0
cpu=0

killie99
2009-03-20, 02:20
when XP was first installed the default login name must have been USER and at some point you've changed the login name to your current name rather than create a brand new account. Unfortunately XP doesn't rename the user directory when you change a users login name so you are left with the directory name USER.
2 solutions are, rename your login name to USER or create a brand new account and reinstall musicip.
Don't know if this will fix your problem but that's why you have a directory called USER and not your current login name - hope you followed that ....

ModelCitizen
2009-03-20, 05:51
when XP was first installed the default login name must have been USER and at some point you've changed the login name to your current name
Thanks, I suspected as much.
Just to ensure that my login account was not the problem I renamed the login to User (i.e. to suit the d&s directory name). It made no difference. The web interface still cannot connect to the MIP service although the software gui can. :-(

MC

ModelCitizen
2009-03-23, 03:32
Oh dear, I'm getting that sinking feeling (again).

Can anyone make any suggestion at all (however wild) why my MusicIP software can connect to the MusicIP service but the web gui can't, even though the path and port are definitely set up correctly in the mm.ini file?

MC

mherger
2009-03-23, 03:48
> Can anyone make any suggestion at all (however wild) why my MusicIP
> software can connect to the MusicIP service but the web gui can't, even
> though the path and port are definitely set up correctly in the mm.ini
> file?

I'd say: keep it simple. Re-install, don't do any port fiddling until you
know it's working. Why would you want to change the port anyway? You're
writing about changing it to 10003, but trying to access 10002. Doesn't
make any sense to me. At least you'd have to connect to 10003 too, tell SC
to use that port and so on. That's why I wouldn't change it.

Run the normal MusicIP, start the service - does SC see it?

--

Michael

Moonbase
2009-03-23, 05:46
I’d also suggest starting out simple. I have played with a lot of MusicIP GUI and headless versions over time, and since they are still quite buggy, always ruefully reverted to using the v1.8.1b GUI as the "server". (This is the main reason why I currently run my "live" system on Windows instead of running it on my Linux box.)

Re bugs you might want to check my (and others') posts over at the MusicIP forums.

I’d suggest the following strategy:

Clean Windows install (XP+SP2 at least, SP3 if you want)
Clean SC install, using either the latest release or the newest beta.
Clean install of MusicIP GUI v1.8.1b (including your key to enable extra functions), setting the GUI’s "API service" to port 10002 and enabling that.
Test thoroughly, always start MIP GUI before SC. Be aware that once having set to enable the API service, MIP will remember that setting on startup.
To come nearer to what SC does, you might also want to start the Windows MIP GUI with the commandline options like:
"C:\Program Files\MusicIP\MusicIP Mixer\MusicMagicMixer.exe" -playlistcontrols -albumsbyname -rgtrack
where

-playlistcontrols will enable extra playlist controls
-albumsbyname will (mostly) avoid the "one album per track" problem we also had in SC when VA compilation tracks are in different folders. Be aware this only functions on a complete new rebuild of the "Library Cache"! So you might want to completely clear the library (not by deleting it! but by marking all songs, deleting them in the GUI and follow this with an "Add to Library").
-rgtrack (or -rgalbum) which will enable Replay Gain support for playback within MIP

The "port 10002" and "port 10003" suggestion made by SpiceFly is mainly for people who want to run both APIs: headless plus GUI, while I cannot see why anyone would do that. Maybe it’s just so that people who accidently have the API service in the GUI enabled won’t run into conflicts with their headless running in the background. I’d recommend sticking with only port 10002 and just running one of them.
Be aware that MusicIP (at least v1.8.1b, don’t know about the 1.9 betas) still has problems with Unicode characters in filenames on Windows, so you should maybe restrict these to ISO-8859-1 (or your Windows charset). As far as I understood Wendell, this should be fixed in the upcoming 1.9 release.
Install and try out a headless version. I recommend also starting out with the headless that comes with 1.8.1b. Be sure to disable the API in the MusicIP GUI, so that they won’t conflict.
Unfortunately, the headless versions from MusicIP all have several bugs – that’s why I still use the API from the 1.8.1b GUI which is the one that has the least bugs. Still you might get a good result but you probably also want to try out some headless versions from the 1.9beta5 and/or 1.9beta6. Be aware that the headless Windows .exe files are different but show the same (or none) version resources, so you should be very clear which version is which …
The headless and GUI use a different "Library Cache", and you should not try to copy it over, at least not if you’re using what they call "chunks" or "libraries per device"! (Headless doesn’t understand these, only the GUI versions do.)
I’d recommend staying away from the 1.9beta5 or 1.9beta6 GUI versions if you use "custom" database entries — these will mess up display and/or database horribly in this case. (I use BPM, INITIALKEY, RELEASESTATUS, RELEASETYPE, LANGUAGE and so on in my MusicIP library, for easy "power searches".)
I really, really suggest storing the "analysis data" (musical fingerprints) in the files. So far, I’ve seen this functioning flawlessly with MP3 (ID3v2.3 tags using ISO-8859-1 or UTF-16 character set) and FLAC files. It might corrupt ID3v2.4 tags, as far as I remember!
But if you have the "right" files with the "right" tags, saving analysis data can save you hours and hours of frustrating re-calculations.
If anyhow possible, you should never use "Fix tags", in my experience. At least not, if you don’t check and repair them with Mp3tag afterwards. In my situation, this seemed to destroy more useful info than it helped.
You might find some more help from Philip Meyer, he seems to use 1.9beta6 with some success together with SC.

Well so much for my experiences with MusicIP. Which I wouldn’t want to miss — never again. It has its bugs but is a great tool if all bugs are "circumvented".

Good luck!

N.B.:
The "cache=" line in you mmm.ini looks okay, you could try enclosing the path in quotes (some apps choke on paths with blanks):
cache="C:\Documents and Settings\User\Application Data\MusicIP\MusicIP Mixer\default.m3lib"
I can’t remember if this was needed, though.

Folder rights must also be okay, did you set your "MusicMagicServer" service to run under YOUR account or run as a "SYSTEM" service? (Try running under YOUR account, so it can see your drive mappings and have your folder rights.)

ModelCitizen
2009-03-24, 01:14
Cheers chaps.

I've started off following Michaels advice and completely uninstalled MusicIP, then reinstalled it. Once it had scanned my music folder I started the (API) server, left the software open and got SC to rescan my music. The little MusicIP Mix icons then appeared! Cheers.

Michael, I originally set up MusicIP in headless mode according to instructions provided on the Spicefly web site.
http://spicefly.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=category&sectionid=5&id=16&Itemid=32
This set up has been recommended by other MusicIP/SlimCenter users.

As I really do not understand how MusicIP works and the relationship between it and SlimCenter I thought it best to follow them entirely and not deviate.

Moonbase, thanks! This evening I will need to set up MusicIP as a servive so that it starts automatically with my PC and before SlimCenter (using registry "depend on service" fix). I am confused aboiut installing the web gui and changing the port to 10003 (so that it does not interfere with the software gui)... I only used the web gui to refresh the cache.

Anyway, I certainly do not want to leave the software application open all the time and I'd like SlimCenter to be updated with new MusicIP info automatically. I'll read your helpful post more fully this evening.

MC

mherger
2009-03-24, 04:10
> As I really do not understand how MusicIP works and the relationship
> between it and SlimCenter I thought it best to follow them entirely and
> not deviate.

MIP has a built in web server listening on port 10002. This web server
allows for some queries and commands. SC is sending HTTP requests to that
port to get a list of tracks known by MIP, start mixes etc.

I think you can follow Spicefly's instructions about setting up the
service (second part). Just ignore the first part about the GUI and
changing ports etc. If the service is already running in the background,
then you won't start it again from the GUI.

Michael

Moonbase
2009-03-24, 07:46
I second that. And you can use the GUI anytime, even while running headless, just switch off the GUIís API Server by unchecking the little checkbox under File -> Preferences -> Services -> [_] API. (And TiVo and UPnP as well, if you donít need them.)

ModelCitizen
2009-03-24, 10:46
Thanks, this is how I will proceed. Just one tiny question.... why did I need to use the web interface to reload the cache and do I still need to do it... if so, how?

BTW. There is a ton of very out of date and misleading info in the wiki about MIP.

MC

mherger
2009-03-24, 14:04
> Thanks, this is how I will proceed. Just one tiny question.... why did I
> need to use the web interface to reload the cache and do I still need to
> do it... if so, how?

I think this happens whenever you change something using the MIP
application (GUI).

> BTW. There is a ton of very out of date and misleading info in the wiki
> about MIP.

Which particular articles? Feel free to add a warning line to them. It's a
wiki ;-)