X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mirhon
    • Feb 2009

Does rebuffering concern only wifi?

From time to time I suffer from rebuffering :-(
    I tried some things and it seems that distance, some settings (dhcp, encoding etc., mode type b or g) on access point doesn’t influence on it.
    So I consider changing my setup and go for wired. The question is : is only wifi installation affected by rebuffering?
  • Mark Lanctot
    • Oct 2005

It's not 100% guaranteed...it is 99.9% guaranteed. :-)

Ethernet has so much more bandwidth, you should never encounter a rebuffering issue. About the only problem you'd ever encounter is a bad cable, switch or NIC.

It's not affected by distance (not in a home anyway), interference, competing networks, etc. Generally, it just works, you never have to fiddle with it or worry about it.
    Boom (PQP3 - late beta, PQP1 - early beta), Squeezebox Radio (PB1 - early beta)

Comment

• snarlydwarf
      • Jul 2005

Originally posted by mirhon
      I tried some things and it seems that distance, some settings (dhcp, encoding etc., mode type b or g) on access point doesn’t influence on it.
      So I consider changing my setup and go for wired. The question is : is only wifi installation affected by rebuffering?
      Rebuffering is basically, "the player ran out of data, it seems to have gotten delayed somewhere."

In many (most?) cases this is caused by wifi problems. A connection that drops out whenever the next door neighbor picks up the phone or turns on the microwave, for example.

Going to a wired connection in virtually all cases (except those where your wiring sucks...) fixes that hop.

If, on the other hand, the dropouts/rebuffering are cause by a slow upstream link (ie, radio drops out, but local music doesn't..) then moving to a wired connection won't help: smacking your ISP around or paying for a fatter connection would be the real fix.

Comment

• Kyle
        • Nov 2005

I highly recommend wired. My SB3 worked fine for a couple of years, then I began to have dropouts -- probably due to neighbors setting up wireless networks, but who knows? I paid $100 for an alarm company to run CAT-5 from my bedroom to my den (other end of the house). It was money well spent.
        Regards,
        Jim

Comment

• Calum Mackay
          • Feb 2009

Does rebuffering concern only wifi?

Kyle wrote:
          > I highly recommend wired. My SB3 worked fine for a couple of years,
          > then I began to have dropouts -- probably due to neighbors setting up
          > wireless networks, but who knows? I paid $100 for an alarm company to
          > run CAT-5 from my bedroom to my den (other end of the house). It was
          > money well spent.

If you require any more wires putting in, please feel free to give me a
          call.

Comment

• iPhone
            • Oct 2007

Originally posted by cdmackay
            Kyle wrote:
            > I highly recommend wired. My SB3 worked fine for a couple of years,
            > then I began to have dropouts -- probably due to neighbors setting up
            > wireless networks, but who knows? I paid $100 for an alarm company to
            > run CAT-5 from my bedroom to my den (other end of the house). It was
            > money well spent.

If you require any more wires putting in, please feel free to give me a
            call.

I hope you are not expecting Kyle to pay for your travel. UK to NC is a long swim or expensive plane ticket! ;=}
            iPhone
            Media Room:
            ModWright Platinum Signature Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers: Quatro Wood Mains, VCC-5 Reference Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1, Vandersteen V2W Subwoofer

Living Room:
            Transporter, ADCOM GTP-870HD, Cinepro 3K6SE III Gold, Vandersteen Model 3A Signature, Two 2Wq subs, VCC-2, Two VSM-1

Office: Touch with Vandersteen VSM-1s
            Kitchen: Touch in-wall mount w/ Thiel Powerpoint 1.2s
            Bedroom: Squeezebox BOOM
            Bathroom: Squeezebox Radio
            Around the House: SliMP3, SB1, SB2, SB3
            Ford Thunderbird: SB Touch, USB drive
            Ford Expedition: SB Touch, USB drive

Comment

• MeSue
              • Jul 2005

Originally posted by mirhon
              Generally, rebuffering is usually a wifi issue, but I have also seen rebuffering due to other issues. I know one time I was getting rebuffering a lot when I all I had was an SB2, and a clean install of Squeezecenter resolved it. The "Trackstat Playlist" plug-in is also known to cause rebuffering in some situations. (The clue is if the rebuffering is always at track changes.)
              Sue
              "If you're happy and you know it turn the volume up and blow it out."

In Use: 1 Touch | 1 Booms | 6 Radios (Sold: 1 Boom | 1 Duet | 1 SB2)
              Logitech Media Server 8.1 on Windows 10 | iPhone & iPad w/ iPeng
              Find me on Last.FM | Twitter | Rhapsody
              My Journey to Musical Bliss | Squeezebox is Dead. Long Live Squeezebox.

Comment

Working...