PDA

View Full Version : OT question about IE7

cliveb
2009-03-19, 08:35
I appreciate this is off-topic, but after some Googling and failing to find an answer, I thought I'd ask here in the friendliest forum I know...

I've long been a user of Firefox, and often have an "index page" open in one tab, then drag interesting links to another tab so I can read them and then return to the index page for more items. (For example: I would have the Slim Devices "General Discussion" page in one tab, and drag individual threads to another).

I also sometimes use IE, and recently updated from IE6 to IE7 (in the hope that they might have fixed some of the bugs in their DOM handling, but that's another story). IE7 has tabbed browsing, but I can't find any way to open a link in one tab in another pre-existing tab. In Firefox you drag the link to the other tab. But when I do this in IE7, it opens the link in the original tab. (If I were being uncharitable, I would ask "what bloody use is that to anyone?"). I've played around with some of the settings, but to no avail. Have I missed something, or is it simply not possible to drag a link to another extant tab?

peter
2009-03-19, 09:53
cliveb wrote:
> I appreciate this is off-topic, but after some Googling and failing to
> find an answer, I thought I'd ask here in the friendliest forum I
> know...
>
> I've long been a user of Firefox, and often have an "index page" open
> in one tab, then drag interesting links to another tab so I can read
> them and then return to the index page for more items. (For example: I
> would have the Slim Devices "General Discussion" page in one tab, and
> drag individual threads to another).
>
> I also sometimes use IE, and recently updated from IE6 to IE7 (in the
> hope that they might have fixed some of the bugs in their DOM handling,
> but that's another story). IE7 has tabbed browsing, but I can't find any
> way to open a link in one tab in another pre-existing tab. In Firefox
> you drag the link to the other tab. But when I do this in IE7, it opens
> the link in the original tab. (If I were being uncharitable, I would ask
> "would bloody use is that to anyone?"). I've played around with some of
> the settings, but to no avail. Have I missed something, or is it simply
> not possible to drag a link to another extant tab?
>

Hmm, been using FF for ages, but I never tried dragging links to other
tabs. Neat, pity you have to have other tabs open altready. That makes
it a lot less useful... Back to Ctrl-click... ;)

Regards,
Peter

rfreedman
2009-03-19, 12:46
Hmm, been using FF for ages, but I never tried dragging links to other
tabs. Neat, pity you have to have other tabs open altready. That makes
it a lot less useful... Back to Ctrl-click... ;)

Actually, in FF, you do not need to have a tab open already. Just drag the link to the "tab bar", i.e. to the right of the right-most open tab. It'll open in a new tab, the same as if you had Ctrl-clicked.

TomAmes
2009-03-19, 14:00
Not the answer to the exact question, but perhaps close enough:

I can open a link in a new tab in IE7 by clicking the scroll-wheel of my mouse on the link. I don't recall if I had to change the software settings on my mouse to do that, but perhaps I did.

Alternatively, you can right-click on the link and select the drop-down option to open the link in a new tab.

funkstar
2009-03-19, 14:44
I've played around with some of the settings, but to no avail. Have I missed something, or is it simply not possible to drag a link to another extant tab?
Nope not possible.

As a bonus though, if you hold Ctrl when you click a link in IE7, it opens in a new tab behind the current one.

Oh, and Opera works the same as FF as far as I can tell.

MeSue
2009-03-19, 16:41
There is an add-on for IE7 called IE7Pro which adds a lot of Firefox-y goodness to IE. I'm not sure if it has this exact feature, but you might want to look into it.

cliveb
2009-03-20, 01:14
Thanks for all the replies.

IE7 didn't fix the problem I was having in IE6 anyway (it doesn't action onclick events in <option> tags), and since it was much slower than IE6, I removed it and returned to IE6.

I'll continue to use FF as my day-to-day browser.

killie99
2009-03-20, 05:14
Try IE8, it was released yesterday

cliveb
2009-03-20, 09:10
Try IE8, it was released yesterday
Call me a chicken, but the thought of installing anything Microsoft released yesterday is just too frightening to contemplate.
I wait until at least one round of service packs.

MrSinatra
2009-03-21, 21:25
i like IE8.

just right click over any link, and then click "open in new tab" or open in new window, whatever you want.

much quicker than opening a blank tab, then dragging a link to it.

peter
2009-03-22, 02:28
MrSinatra wrote:
> i like IE8.
>
> just right click over any link, and then click "open in new tab" or
> open in new window, whatever you want.
>
> much quicker than opening a blank tab, then dragging a link to it.

Every browser has that!

Regards,
Peter

cliveb
2009-03-22, 04:14
just right click over any link, and then click "open in new tab" or open in new window, whatever you want.
Yes, Firefox has had that since day one. In fact if you want to open a link in a new tab, it's even simpler to just hold down Ctrl while clicking it - saves messing about with a pop-up menu.

much quicker than opening a blank tab, then dragging a link to it.
I think you've missed the point I was making. Suppose you already have two tabs. One has an "index" of pages you're interested in (eg. the list of threads in the Slim Devices "General Discussion" forum). The other has the particular thread you're currently reading. When you've finished reading that particular thread, you return to the tab with the index of threads, and select another one to read. In Firefox, you can just drag that new thread onto the already-existing other tab, and it's opened in that tab, which saves bothering with keep opening and closing new tabs. In IE7 you can't do that - if you drag a link onto another tab, it just opens in the current tab (thus overwriting the index page you were trying to keep available for later use). What happens in IE8?

funkstar
2009-03-22, 04:20
Every browser has that!
Indeed! :)

I like how Opera lets you open in a new tab, which imegiately becomes the active tab, or open in a background tab, leaving you at the source tab.

I've actually never used the drag-link-to-tab feature before.

MrSinatra
2009-03-22, 10:18
Every browser has that!

Regards,
Peter

i know, it just sounded like clive didn't know.

clive, i see your point but is clicking a tab closed and opening a new tab really worse than dragging into a tab?

to answer your question, IE8 doesn't do what you want. when i tried, it did what you described, opening in the "index page" and not the second tab as you desire.

HOWEVER, if you notice IE8 has a small "blank" tab to the right of any existing tab. you CAN drag your link to that, and it will open it in a NEW tab. u just can't then reuse the new tab, (you'd have to close it).

so it seems to do about half of what you want. do others see the behavior i am describing?

MeSue
2009-03-22, 10:29
Yes, Firefox has had that since day one. In fact if you want to open a link in a new tab, it's even simpler to just hold down Ctrl while clicking it - saves messing about with a pop-up menu.

I think you've missed the point I was making. Suppose you already have two tabs. One has an "index" of pages you're interested in (eg. the list of threads in the Slim Devices "General Discussion" forum). The other has the particular thread you're currently reading. When you've finished reading that particular thread, you return to the tab with the index of threads, and select another one to read. In Firefox, you can just drag that new thread onto the already-existing other tab, and it's opened in that tab, which saves bothering with keep opening and closing new tabs. In IE7 you can't do that - if you drag a link onto another tab, it just opens in the current tab (thus overwriting the index page you were trying to keep available for later use). What happens in IE8?

If you already know the Ctrl-click shortcut for a new tab, why not just do that in IE? Isn't it easier than dragging the links?

cliveb
2009-03-23, 01:33
If you already know the Ctrl-click shortcut for a new tab, why not just do that in IE? Isn't it easier than dragging the links?
I suppose it's fine. It's just that the way I do it in Firefox has become something of a habit, and I was surprised when IE did something that seems completely useless. What IE does when you drag a link to a different tab is exactly what it would do if you just clicked the link. What's the point?

As I said earlier, I continue to use FF as my default browser anyway, and have reverted IE back to version 6.