PDA

View Full Version : Biography and Album Review and Linux VortexBox NAS

mle
2009-03-18, 20:58
I have been asking a few things about VortexBox (brilliant and easy to install) in this thread

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=61460

and everything has sorted out except two of my favourite plugins

Biography and Album Review

which do not seem to parse the HTML code and are therefore unreadable because of the literal presentation of text and commands in one.

I am not sure if this is a problem with all non GUI Linux installations but it certainly seems to be the case for the VortexBox command line based on Fedora 10 (can't believe I am writing this - knew nothing about Linux a week ago - still know very little).

Agillis at VortexBox suggested it is a matter to raise with the plugin developer Michael Herger.

I could not quite figure out how to send a private message to the developer so here is the request in a new topic.

mherger
2009-03-19, 04:51
> Agillis at VortexBox suggested it is a matter to raise with the plugin
> developer Michael Herger.

It's not a "problem" with the plugin. The download page indeed doesn't
have much more information about it than the following hint:

"Requirements: This plugin requires the following perl modules:
HTML::FormatText."

Just install it (or ask Agillis to include it with future VortexBoxes) and
restart SC. I can't include it, as it is platform dependant.

--

Michael

agillis
2009-03-19, 07:18
Oh is that all it is. Sorry I pushed this one back on you Michael. I'll add that to the next release of VortexBox. For now just run this from command line and you will have what you need.

yum install perl-HTML-Format

mle
2009-03-19, 13:08
Oh is that all it is. Sorry I pushed this one back on you Michael. I'll add that to the next release of VortexBox. For now just run this from command line and you will have what you need.

yum install perl-HTML-Format

Thanks Michael and Agillis.

You may see why the Squeeezebox is so good and yet so difficult for non technical people.

The answers are usually very simple but never obvious and often you have to sort through pages of forum material not really knowing what actual message you should be looking for.

Even if I understood what Michael meant on his page by
"Requirements: This plugin requires the following perl modules:
HTML::FormatText."

Until I asked the question I would not have know that it was missing and that was the cause of non parsing of HTML or indeed how to get it (although I am beginning to get the idea with the matters I have raised recently - if only SvrPowerControl was as easy to understand)

Thanks again.

agillis
2009-03-19, 17:28
Happy to help. My goal is to eventually have everything you need preinstalled in VortexBox. That way you will never have to leave the GUI.

Did you see I also have an RPM for SvrPowerControl? That should make SvrPowerControl easy to use as well.