PDA

View Full Version : Is Sean still with the company?

JJZolx
2009-03-17, 14:05
Maybe just consulting now, or actually still doing some hardware design, or... ?

For how long?

mherger
2009-03-17, 14:13
> Maybe just consulting now, or actually still doing some hardware design,
> or... ?

Yes, he still is. Last week we had fun shopping soldering tips at Fry's.

Michael

seanadams
2009-03-17, 14:56
Still here!

bhaagensen
2009-03-17, 16:04
Last week we had fun shopping soldering tips at Fry's.

What where you soldering ;)

Jonnio
2009-03-17, 16:31
> Maybe just consulting now, or actually still doing some hardware design,
> or... ?

Yes, he still is. Last week we had fun shopping soldering tips at Fry's.

Michael

You don't use a Metcal? :)

iPhone
2009-03-17, 20:29
You don't use a Metcal? :)

I'm with you. Once you have used a Metcal it's hard to ever pickup a Weller even for the simplest soldering need. Inserts are more expensive, but to have the exact temperature and tip needed for the job is worth it.

Back on thread, glad knowing Sean is at the helm and reading/posting to the Forum.

Goodsounds
2009-03-17, 20:31
....For how long?

In a thread last December, I mentioned that Logitech's SEC filings indicate that 2009 is an earn-out calculation year for the SD purchase.

My experience with many tech industry acquisitions is that founders and long time employees often leave following such a period, but of course every individual and every company can (and will) be different from others. I have no knowledge of or familiarity with any of the individuals involved, so my comments are just speculation.

pfarrell
2009-03-17, 22:39
iPhone wrote:
> I'm with you. Once you have used a Metcal it's hard to ever pickup a
> Weller even for the simplest soldering need. Inserts are more
> expensive

I never heard of metcal, looked them up because of this thread.

its not just the inserts and tips that are "more expensive"
I couldn't find one under $500.

For a grand, you can get reflow oven.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

Goodsounds
2009-03-17, 23:00
.....glad knowing Sean is at the helm .....

If by "at the helm" you mean the person running the business unit, I'm not so sure that's the case. I thought I had once seen someone else mentioned as being the general manager of the business unit, but I could be wrong. Any employee who visits the forums could set the record straight.

It's not very common for a "boss" to have the time or the interest to go shopping for tools. If he still is the boss, one would think there would be better ways to spend his time.

peter
2009-03-17, 23:19
Goodsounds wrote:
> iPhone;407590 Wrote:
>
>> .....glad knowing Sean is at the helm .....
>>
>
> If by "at the helm" you mean the person running the business unit, I'm
> not so sure that's the case. I thought I had once seen someone else
> mentioned as being the general manager of the business unit, but I
> could be wrong. Any employee who visits the forums could set the record
> straight.
>
> It's not very common for a "boss" to have the time or the interest to
> go shopping for tools. If he still is the boss, one would think there
> would be better ways to spend his time.
>

Some people (not the worst kind) like to leave the general managing to
people who don't like shopping at Fry's ;)

Regards,
Peter

amcluesent
2009-03-18, 03:29
>If he still is the boss, one would think there would be better ways to spend his time. <

Then again, the founder, CEO and President of start-ups isn't always so minded to carry on leading the company after a certain point in its growth

4mula1
2009-03-18, 03:53
I'm with you. Once you have used a Metcal it's hard to ever pickup a Weller even for the simplest soldering need. Inserts are more expensive, but to have the exact temperature and tip needed for the job is worth it.

I find it quite amazing that the Metcal in my office hasn't found it's way to my house yet...

I did a demo on a Pace iron with the nitrogen option for lead free solder. Pretty cool how the solder doesn't oxidize so quickly. Finally found a use for the nitrogen generator we had in storage.

Jonnio
2009-03-18, 04:04
If you want one for home check E-bay, there are good deals to be had. Also, for serious work, the $500 is money well spent. After getting used to using one at work I had to get one for home. No, I didn't spend $500 on it either.

On topic - there are some guys that are just happier playing with electronics than managing people. I could see how selling your company to a larger corporation is a valid way to do that. You can push the admin junk off to others letting you stay in charge of the vision of the products and keep your hands "dirty", but have people with the full time job of running the show.

iPhone wrote:
> expensive

--
Pat Farrell

iPhone
2009-03-18, 08:26
iPhone wrote:
> expensive

--
Pat Farrell

How practical is a reflow oven when one just needs to repair, remove, or add one part? It's the technology that makes the Metcal expensive. It is not just the use of heat. Metcal uses RF as well as heat to solder. One gets much better flow and higher joint strength at lower temperatures. Also the handle is cool with only the actual tip being hot and itís so much lighter and easier for doing precise soldering with the Metcal. Metcal saves time and power because they don't have to be left on. They are up to soldering temperature in less then 10 seconds. Changing tips (temperature or type) is as simple as turning the Metcal off, using the silicone pad to pull the tip out and pushing the tip you want in. No cool down or need for tools so you don't burn yourself or waiting for it to heat back up to temp.

Like I said, one has to use one, then it's hard to go back to a Weller. Besides, a Weller worth having for the type work a Metcal is great for is over half the cost of a Metcal. IMHO, might as well pay the rest and have the best. YMMV.

ModelCitizen
2009-03-19, 13:50
If he still is the boss, one would think there would be better ways to spend his time.
I've heard he's having lessons in how to park his car correctly.

MC

funkstar
2009-03-19, 14:40
I've heard he's having lessons in how to park his car correctly.

MC
Still?!?!?

(i lol'ed at this)