PDA

View Full Version : SqueezeBox updating without SqueezeCenter?!

fbn
2009-03-17, 10:30
Hi,

yesterday I was watching TV when I recognized that the SqueezeBox powered on and tried to connect to the SqueezeCenter (which was off).

I first thought that I was lying on the remote but it was untouched on the desk.

I have disabled automatic updates in SqueezeCenter, is there another option that would "wake" up the SqueezeBox (even if SqueezeCenter is offline)?

Thanks,
Frank

Mark Lanctot
2009-03-17, 10:54
If the SB loses contact with the server it will display a "Connecting to SqueezeCenter" message from time to time.

fbn
2009-03-17, 13:58
why is SB trying to connect to SC when it's (SB) powered off?

toby10
2009-03-17, 14:45
why is SB trying to connect to SC when it's (SB) powered off?

It's never actually "off", just in standby.

fbn
2009-03-17, 22:27
I think it's standby (I just press the power-button).

I have problems with a Synology NAS waking up from hibernation frequently, and I now think that the SB connecting to the SC could be the reason for this.

Is it possible to disable SB from connecting to SC if in Standby?

toby10
2009-03-18, 03:56
I think it's standby (I just press the power-button).

I have problems with a Synology NAS waking up from hibernation frequently, and I now think that the SB connecting to the SC could be the reason for this.

Is it possible to disable SB from connecting to SC if in Standby?

There are plugins for putting your server to sleep/hibernation, so I'd guess there are ways of waking the server only when desired. I'd check the NAS forum.

You could test your theory by simply unplugging the SB power or ethernet and see if your NAS stays asleep.

aubuti
2009-03-18, 04:44
That's probably not it. When the SB is looking for SC it does *not* send out a WOL "magic packet", so if your Synology is doing a conventional ACPI hibernation that wouldn't wake it up. To put it another way, the SB is only looking for available SC servers, not going around waking up sleeping/hibernating computers. You should try toby10's test to confirm.

fbn
2009-03-18, 06:26
That's probably not it. When the SB is looking for SC it does *not* send out a WOL "magic packet", so if your Synology is doing a conventional ACPI hibernation that wouldn't wake it up. To put it another way, the SB is only looking for available SC servers, not going around waking up sleeping/hibernating computers. You should try toby10's test to confirm.

Hi, the NAS is not capable of hibernating itself, it only hibernates the harddisk. So I think SB will contact the NAS frequently and the NAS then wakes the harddisk from hibernation to answer the request in SC ... I'll try toby10's idea.

But nevertheless it would be good to tell the SB to keep sleeping (and not connect to or check SC) until we wake it up :)