PDA

View Full Version : Ipeng

broth420
2009-03-17, 05:54
Does anyone know what the difference between the appstore version of ipeng and the free plugin for the browswer on the iphone is? I am having a hard time paying 10 dollars for something when it is free as an interface plugin.
Thanks, Bill

BBear
2009-03-17, 06:07
Does anyone know what the difference between the appstore version of ipeng and the free plugin for the browswer on the iphone is? I am having a hard time paying 10 dollars for something when it is free as an interface plugin.
Thanks, Bill

Hi there Bill
The plugin /free version is a web-page 'skin' designed specifically for the iphone OS version of safari. The appstore version is a 'native' app - meaning that this runs as a local interface and is considerably faster.

The two versions have slightly different functionality and I know that the appstore version is in the process of being updated. Any updates are typically available for free once you've made the initial purchase which is a worth-while investment IMO.

BB

pippin
2009-03-17, 07:34
As BBear already stated:
The free plugin will provide a web interface that is optimized for iPhone/iPod touch.

The functionality is a bit different, currently the plugin has somewhat MORE functionality than the app, with version 1.1 of the app (due next week or so) it will be somewhat even (both will have some features the other one doesn't provide).

The big advantage of the app is: it's much faster and therefore more user friendly. There's simply more you can do UI wise with an application than with a web page, especially given the fact that JavaScript is extremely slow on iPhone.

If you think $10 is too much for you (something I am - quite frankly - a bit surprised to hear given the cost of all the hardware involved) just try the plugin first, if you think it's fast enough (and has the features you need) you can spare yourself the app.

The plugin will also be somewhat supported in the future, although I didn't find any time to work on it recently. But as soon as 1.1 is out there will also be a smaller update for the plugin to utilize the full-screen capabilities of FW2.2

morris_minor
2009-03-17, 15:32
iPeng was the "killer app" that made me get an iPhone (rather than a Nokia Erikson Sony Samsumg thingy). Well done Pippin!