PDA

View Full Version : 'Disable outputs when off' still broken?

smcvick
2009-03-15, 11:24
There is a Setting under Player/Audio that allows you to configure a given player so that it's outputs will be disabled when the device is turned off. This is intended to allow connection of a Squeezebox to devices that automatically detect the presence of a digital input. (such as my external DAC) At some point in a post 7.0 release this feature stopped working, and according to a thread from last summer it was acknowledged as a bug. (bug #1397)

It's a bug. You can see it here:
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1397

It's planned to have this solved in 7.3, but I don't know when this version is expected.

And according to the post above, a fix was targeted for 7.3.

I am now running version 7.3.2 of Squeezecenter, and the issue does not seem to be resolved. I have this feature turned on for a player hooked up to an external DAC, and when the player is powered down the DAC still detects a signal from the player's digital output. (in this case, the optical output)

Unfortunately, Bugzilla won't allow me to access the bug report referenced above, giving me an error message of "You are not authorized to access bug #1397." (even when logged in with an active account) So I can't check to see what the official status is.

Does anybody know the status on this?

Phil Leigh
2009-03-16, 11:35
There is a Setting under Player/Audio that allows you to configure a given player so that it's outputs will be disabled when the device is turned off. This is intended to allow connection of a Squeezebox to devices that automatically detect the presence of a digital input. (such as my external DAC) At some point in a post 7.0 release this feature stopped working, and according to a thread from last summer it was acknowledged as a bug. (bug #1397)

And according to the post above, a fix was targeted for 7.3.

I am now running version 7.3.2 of Squeezecenter, and the issue does not seem to be resolved. I have this feature turned on for a player hooked up to an external DAC, and when the player is powered down the DAC still detects a signal from the player's digital output. (in this case, the optical output)

Unfortunately, Bugzilla won't allow me to access the bug report referenced above, giving me an error message of "You are not authorized to access bug #1397." (even when logged in with an active account) So I can't check to see what the official status is.

Does anybody know the status on this?

Question for SD... WHY is this bug hidden? - what's so special about it?

Mnyb
2009-03-16, 11:44
Question for SD... WHY is this bug hidden? - what's so special about it?

Can it be because player firmware is not open source, I suppose most of the discussion is about player firmware in some aspect.

MikeMcr
2009-04-14, 13:13
This appears to be still broken even in the 7.3.3 nighty builds. I tested on a Squeezebox Classic and the optical output remains active, ignoring the player setting. Since I use an optical splitter (not enough inputs), I need this option to work.

I don't understand why the bug access is locked. Is it open or closed? How can we vote on it? Should a new bug report be created?

Mnyb
2009-04-14, 13:29
This appears to be still broken even in the 7.3.3 nighty builds. I tested on a Squeezebox Classic and the optical output remains active, ignoring the player setting. Since I use an optical splitter (not enough inputs), I need this option to work.

I don't understand why the bug access is locked. Is it open or closed? How can we vote on it? Should a new bug report be created?

This is ridiculous now, it can be ok that some info is hidden, but it is not ok that it is impossible to vote on on this bug or even check it's status anymore, with an normal bugzilla account ?
And i now that this or a similar (duplicate ?) bug was open before and that it where some interesting info in it ?

Maybe one you file a bug about this ? or deliberately post a duplicate bug to 1397 and kindly ask the admin to count the vote on this one to the original ?

Mnyb
2009-04-14, 13:50
You can all vote on this bug instead:

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=10077

hovering the mouse pointer over the link to 1397 inside this bug indicates that 1397 is "closed and fixed" "comment #1".

This is a bug about further enhancement of the "digital output off" function.
As you see in "comment #2" there is an explanation why this is working on some DAC and receivers and not on some others.
If my dim memory serves me right I have memories that this is one of these "was working before" bugs ? ie originally working functionality that was later broken and then fixed again (1397), but not in the same way hence bug 10077

jaw5279
2009-04-14, 16:24
Cetainly can't comment about the fix in 7.3.2 or beyond, but it is fixed in 7.3.1. After waiting months for it to be fixed, I certainly hope it did not get re-broken!

John

kevin0964
2009-04-20, 11:18
I have been running 7.3.1 in windows vista for a while now and it does not work for me. My 12 channel Niles amp is on all the time and I always hear a slight bit of static in my ceiling speakers when the squeezebox is off.

Phil Leigh
2009-04-20, 14:30
I have been running 7.3.1 in windows vista for a while now and it does not work for me. My 12 channel Niles amp is on all the time and I always hear a slight bit of static in my ceiling speakers when the squeezebox is off.

That's a fault in the amp - muting circuits should prevent any output.