PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else think the image challenge is to difficult?

kphinney
2009-03-15, 07:31
I know I'm getting old, perhaps loosing my sight, but my wife and I just spent 5 minutes just trying to get my password re-sent.

JJZolx
2009-03-16, 16:17
I've never had to recover my password, so I've never seen it before.

But wow! That's as nasty as any I've seen. VBulletin (the forums software) has several settings to control the difficulty of the captcha images. Apparently someone set it to the most difficult possibly in the hopes that it would control spam or increase security or something. I question why it's even necessary to have it on the password reset form.

Bug filed:

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=11373

snarlydwarf
2009-03-16, 17:28
I dunno, at some site I went to in the past couple of weeks they wanted me to type 1/2, 3/4 and various other fractions... as characters.

Digging up an iso-8859-1 chart to log into a site is silly.

(Wish I could remember which silly site that was...)

Dogberry2
2009-03-16, 21:01
I think it oughta ask ya to phrase a sentence correctly using "they're", "their", and "there". That would cut down the annoyance factor for me by at least 80%. Throw in a "you're" and "your" and it would almost be a Turing test. I mean, those words aren't even pronounced the same.

JJZolx
2009-03-16, 21:09
I think it oughta ask ya to phrase a sentence correctly using "they're", "their", and "there". That would cut down the annoyance factor for me by at least 80%. Throw in a "you're" and "your" and it would almost be a Turing test. I mean, those words aren't even pronounced the same.

Trouble is that 90% of Americans would probably fail this Turing test.

peter
2009-03-16, 23:06
On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 21:09 -0700, "JJZolx"
<JJZolx.3p6cmo1237263002 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
> Dogberry2;407163 Wrote:
> > I think it oughta ask ya to phrase a sentence correctly using "they're",
> > "their", and "there". That would cut down the annoyance factor for me by
> > at least 80%. Throw in a "you're" and "your" and it would almost be a
> > Turing test. I mean, those words aren't even -pronounced- the same.
>
> Trouble is that 90% of Americans would probably fail this Turing test.

That's not a problem, that's a feature!

Regards,
Peter

Siduhe
2009-03-17, 03:52
Yikes! Are we going to have to this for every post?

Can see it cutting down my regular posting quite a bit. I will certainly feel less inclined to point people to the answers to questions which are dealt with elsewhere on the board if I have to do this for every three word "See this thread" post AND for every search I have to make to find the other thread in the first place.

Siduhe
2009-03-17, 03:59
Ok, that's two posts and one search and 7 attempts at the image verification. Sure I'll get better at it in time...

Understand why SD have gone this way after some of the recent spam attacks, but I think this is going to have quite an impact on the number of regular posters who provide help through these forums (unless it gets made a bit easier or the requirement to verify every post is reduced to once per session or similar).

Edited to say: woo hoo! first time then! And, no, I am not American... ;-)

autopilot
2009-03-17, 08:27
What?! Image verification for every post? this is incredibly tedious. Surely it be linked to join date and post count?

Matt Wise
2009-03-17, 08:30
Please be patient and see thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=61462