PDA

View Full Version : SNR on Controller - Very low

libby
2009-03-14, 04:21
What is a 'normal' SNR for your controller in the same room as your Receiver?

When I put my controller right next too the reciever, I see about 40. Move 2 metres away (6 feet), and it drops to about 10. I can't even use the thing if I move out of line of sight.

I'm using a Hyrbid connection (a completely wireless one just did't want to work reliably at all), and I'm moved my WiFi to Channel 8, which seems to give the strongest signal. I've moved my telephone away from the router (which is a ZyXEL P-660HW-T7C) and told my router to always assign the Controller the same IP address, in short all the advice I could find in the wonderful forums.

Has anyone any more advice? Is this a faulty Reciever, normal behaviour, or should I just get a new router? (Really don't want to!)

SuperQ
2009-03-14, 12:26
The valid non-overlapping channels are 1, 6, 11. 8 overlaps with both 6 and 11.

libby
2009-04-10, 05:01
To update...

I switched to channel 11, which still didn't clear up the problems. I got in touch with customer support, and they agreed this wasn't normal behavior. A new controller arrived yesterday, I've just set it up and it's so much better. I can actually use the thing all around my flat! Sitting next to the faultly one, (SNR was about 8 and Tx rate about 2) I get SNR = 47, Tx rate = 54 mbs.

So, moral of the story... Whilst there are clearly problems in the firmware and the wireless implemenation, there is also fauly WiFi antennas our there in the controllers too.

Hopefully this will the start of a long and happy life together now...