PDA

View Full Version : Can Transporter connect to 2 things at the same time?

cybervision_
2009-03-12, 14:32
I have a Transporter in my rig and I want to have internet radio in addition to my own music from my PC-Server. Is it possible to connect it to the PC through ethernet or wifi, and also connect to another internet connection at the same time? I do not have a router myself, I connect to the wifi-router of the owners of the house I rent in.

Condensed: Can the Transporter connect to two wireless signals at the same time, or ethernet and Wifi at the same time?

JJZolx
2009-03-12, 16:37
I have a Transporter in my rig and I want to have internet radio in addition to my own music from my PC-Server. Is it possible to connect it to the PC through ethernet or wifi, and also connect to another internet connection at the same time? I do not have a router myself, I connect to the wifi-router of the owners of the house I rent in.

Condensed: Can the Transporter connect to two wireless signals at the same time, or ethernet and Wifi at the same time?

No, it can't connect to two wireless signals. But if it's in bridging mode it will use both the wireless and wired connections. But I'm not sure that's what you want. Bridging is used to connect the Transporter to the wireless network and then uses the wired ethernet connection to connect some other network gear.

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Network_Design#Bridging

Explain your current network configuration more fully. Are both the Transporter and server connecting wirelessly to your neighbor's wifi router or what? Are the Transporter and PC in the same room?

JeffHart
2009-03-12, 18:48
I'm kind of new here, might upgrade to a Transporter at some time, currently using the lower end gear. Why not just use the internet radio access in SqueezeCenter or SqueezeNetwork - are there stations that aren't accessible?

TIA,
Jeff

Mark Lanctot
2009-03-13, 06:21
I have a Transporter in my rig and I want to have internet radio in addition to my own music from my PC-Server.

Provided your PC/server is connected to the Internet, Internet radio is available through SqueezeCenter. I believe this is everything you can access through SqueezeNetwork, you shouldn't miss anything.

Is it possible to connect it to the PC through ethernet or wifi, and also connect to another internet connection at the same time?

What are you trying to do? The Transporter will be able to access everything, your music library and Internet content, through one connection.

No, but you shouldn't need to anyway.

cybervision_
2009-03-13, 07:12
I understand, I will need to buy a Wificard to use the Duet-controller anyway and the PC can connect to internet via Wifi so I think I'm good. The Transporter will connect to the PC with a switch in between.

Thank you.

Mark Lanctot
2009-03-13, 07:27
You don't need a switch unless you have other devices to connect.

If your PC is connected to the Internet via wireless, all you have to do is wire your TP to your PC using a crossover cable (although if your PC's port is "auto-sensing" as most new ones are, you could use a standard patch cable). Then you enable bridging in the OS settings.

Adding a Controller makes things more tricky. The easiest thing to do would be to use the owners' wireless connection. The Controller should see SqueezeCenter on your PC since your PC is connected to the owners' wireless as well. Adding a second wireless card to your PC would be tricky, it may interfere with the first wireless network and your PC would have to manage everything, doing two bridging options simultaneously - wireless Internet to Ethernet for the TP, and wireless Internet to wireless WLAN for the Controller. Tricky, advanced, and the OS may not let you do it.

But if you can't get the controller to use the owners' wireless, this might be easier and won't cost more than another wireless card - get a wireless router. Attach the Ethernet out of the PC to one of the LAN ports on the router. Attach another one of the LAN ports to the TP using a standard patch cable. The router will be acting as an AP. A Controller could then access the wireless portion of the router and communicate with SqueezeCenter on the PC. You would still have to do bridging on the PC, wireless to Ethernet, but it's do-able.