PDA

View Full Version : Mac related question

53mudg35
2009-03-09, 17:26
This is my 1st post on this forum, I would like to say hi to all...

I am a windows guy and am thinking about getting the new mac mini to replace my aging pc. From what I have read, it seems like the new mini would work great with a squeeze. I have a few questions for those who own both a mac and squeeze.

I am new to computer/network related music, i.e. I have not purchased any music online nor have I ripped any of my CD's so please bear with me and my lack of knowledge.

I plan on going FLAC so I assume it would be best to use a windows session to perform my rips. For those who own macs and have gone with FLAC, is it possible to use Boot Camp or one of the virtual machine setups so that I could use windows software like EAC to rip the CD's to a drive location that both OSX and XP could access and read?

Or does the Boot Camp XP only have access to a windows (NTFS) partion?

Thanks

cdmackay
2009-03-09, 18:38
53mudg35 wrote:
> I plan on going FLAC so I assume it would be best to use a windows
> session to perform my rips.

you might consider using XLD on MacOS; I've just started using this, but
it seems very capable. Rips to flac with full accuraterip support.

cheers,
calum.

pufnstuf
2009-03-09, 18:46
Hi 53mudg35

You can perform secure, AccurateRips directly in Mac OS X without having to bother with Boot Camp etc. Just use XLD. Here is the homepage: http://tmkk.hp.infoseek.co.jp/xld/index_e.html

XLD can create log files and also convert to multiple audio formats during the one rip. For example you could rip to FLAC and MP3 VBR at the same time. Handy if you want to rip a copy for your iPod as well as Squeeze device!

Here is more information in the SqueezeBox WIKI: http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Beginners_Guide_To_Ripping#X_Lossless_Decoder_.28X LD.29

Try it out before you setup Bootcamp, it will save you restarting everytime you want to rip some new tunes! :-D

Enjoy

Kyle
2009-03-09, 19:09
I'd go native Mac, but there's no reason you can't use Boot Camp, Fusion or Parallels and run EAC on a Windows platform.

53mudg35
2009-03-09, 19:11
Thanks for the quick reply, I will look into XLD.

Nikhil
2009-03-10, 05:09
You have quite a few options. You could:

1) As suggested by several users above, use XLD. Here is a guide for XLD: http://jungle.sk/XLD_Tutorial/

2) Continue to use EAC in Windows with BootCamp (I am not too sure if a virtualized solution like Parallels, VMWare Fusion or VirtualBox will allow you to carry out AccurateRips).

If you want to go with the 2nd option, you could:
a) Install WinXP in BootCamp on a FAT32 Partition. MacOS will be able to access that directly (read/write).
b) You could use NTFS for your BootCamp Partition and MacOS will be able to natively read from it, but not write to it.
c) Use NTFS for your BootCamp Partition, and install the open source NTFS-3G drivers http://macntfs-3g.blogspot.com/ that use MacFuse to read and write to the NTFS partition, or use the proprietary solution from Paragon http://www.paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-mac/ .
d) Use NTFS for windows, and install MacDrive http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive/ on the Windows side, which will allow you to access the Mac HFS+ partition from windows, and hence transfer the EAC ripped files.

bephillips
2009-03-13, 15:41
So I just tried XLD for the first time. Looks promising, but some problems I've noticed, unless I'm missing something.

Album art is embedded, I guess. Don't see any way to save the cover art as "cover.jpg" except to do this manually.

Replay gain option would seem to be track replay gain. So for album replay gain you either need to use Play in Mac OS, or as I do, Foobar2000 in Parallels. This works fine over my network too. No need for Bootcamp.

notec
2009-03-13, 18:27
I use VMWare Fusion 2 on my Macbook running OS-X 10.5.6. Works flawlessly with EAC (and all my winsuck only apps) to rip my FLAC for da squeezeB... squeeze on the other hand...

cdmackay
2009-03-14, 18:30
bephillips wrote:
> So I just tried XLD for the first time. Looks promising, but some
> problems I've noticed, unless I'm missing something.
>
> Album art is embedded, I guess. Don't see any way to save the cover art
> as "cover.jpg" except to do this manually.

if you click on the cover, then you can save it; but perhaps that's what
you meant?

> Replay gain option would seem to be track replay gain. So for album
> replay gain you either need to use Play in Mac OS, or as I do,
> Foobar2000 in Parallels. This works fine over my network too. No need
> for Bootcamp.

my XLD is writing both album and track replaygain settings; I'm using
external cue file, but I can't see why it would be different for file tags.

cheers,
calum.

BiBer
2009-03-21, 02:38
my XLD is writing both album and track replaygain settings; I'm using
external cue file, but I can't see why it would be different for file tags.

cheers,
calum.

XLD seem to have no support to embed the replaygain tags into flac, it only can write them to cue sheets. they are definitely not written as tags into the flac files, so you have to rescan your ripped files to add this tags if you need them.

if the developer is reading this: it would be very nice if xld would be able to write calculated replaygain values to flac files, it would eliminate one additional step during ripping. please! please! please!

cdmackay
2009-03-22, 04:08
BiBer wrote:
> cdmackay;406547 Wrote:
>> my XLD is writing both album and track replaygain settings; I'm using
>> external cue file, but I can't see why it would be different for file
>> tags.
>
> XLD seem to have no support to embed the replaygain tags into flac, it
> only can write them to cue sheets. they are definitely not written as
> tags into the flac files,

didn't realise, that, apols.

> so you have to rescan your ripped files to
> add this tags if you need them.

you don't have to rescan them; just take the values from the cue files
and use e.g. metaflac to add the tags, no?

> if the developer is reading this: it would be very nice if xld would be
> able to write calculated replaygain values to flac files, it would
> eliminate one additional step during ripping. please! please! please!

I've never seen the developers on here, but they can be reached via:
tmkk (AT) smoug (DOT) net

cheers,
calum.

BiBer
2009-03-22, 12:43
you don't have to rescan them; just take the values from the cue files
and use e.g. metaflac to add the tags, no?

Well if you're ripping as separate files, you won't be getting any cue sheet, i think.

cdmackay
2009-03-22, 16:26
BiBer wrote:
> Well if you're ripping as separate files, you won't be getting any cue
> sheet, i think.

sigh, apols; I keep forgetting I'm in the minority, playing with
single+cue :)

cheers,
calum.

bolfings
2009-03-22, 20:13
I am downloading and will try XLD - but is there any reason not to keep using MAX? It seems to work pretty well, although I have had a few minor problems -

ilmonstro
2009-04-07, 01:48
Is it possible to choose which tags are written to the files? Even if i choose a cd from the musicbrainz database, XLD only writes artist, album, title and year tags. Is it possible to write tags like albumartist, artistsort, musicbrainz_artistid or do i have to use picard for this?.

sebp
2009-04-07, 02:04
I am downloading and will try XLD - but is there any reason not to keep using MAX?
Max is a nice ripper, but XLD is a bit better (imho) :
- supports AccurateRip
- can embed cover art in files
- better album identification and cover art retrieval