PDA

View Full Version : Boom and Duet popular on Ebay

maggior
2009-03-09, 08:15
After seeing the prices of Booms and Duets at the Circuit City liquidation sale, I was curious to see how flooded Ebay was with these devices. I myself considered picking up a Boom to turn around and sell on Ebay, but I decided to keep it. Now I'm looking for an additional one :-).

Wow, there are a LOT of them, and many for very good prices. Also, most have actually sold, again for very good prices. I saw some great deals last night but decided to sleep on it. That was a mistake - the good deals are gone now! :-(.

Presumably, people buying them on Ebay know what these devices are and intend to use them, as opposed to people buying them from Circuit City with the idea of making a quick buck on Ebay.

This seems to me like a pretty good indicator that these devices are popular. As a fan of the devices and the team that makes them, I'm glad to see it. It also shows how these devices will fly off the shelves at a lower price point :-).

seanadams
2009-03-09, 09:51
Our products have always held their value pretty well, and the original SliMP3 has even appreciated. A sudden glut of low prices on Ebay could easily be the result of the CC liquidation. I could also believe that some people are liquidating stuff to pay the bills. In any case, get 'em while they're hot!

Moonbase
2009-03-09, 09:57
Now that’s what I call marketing: "In any case, get 'em while they're hot!" … These thingies will be "hot" for a long time to come, Sean …

Cheers for ever founding that company years ago and starting to solder together The Next Generation musical Swiss Army Knife! ;-)

snarlydwarf
2009-03-09, 10:07
Our products have always held their value pretty well, and the original SliMP3 has even appreciated. A sudden glut of low prices on Ebay could easily be the result of the CC liquidation. I could also believe that some people are liquidating stuff to pay the bills. In any case, get 'em while they're hot!

hah, for a long time the ebay prices on -used- items were higher than "new in box with warranty" direct from Slimdevices or even Amazon.

Admittedly some of that is that ebay prices can be .. random. But, still creepy how well a SB's hold their value.. "consumer electronics" usually depreciate as fast as cars.. unbox it and the value is halved.

maggior
2009-03-09, 10:57
hah, for a long time the ebay prices on -used- items were higher than "new in box with warranty" direct from Slimdevices or even Amazon.

Admittedly some of that is that ebay prices can be .. random. But, still creepy how well a SB's hold their value.. "consumer electronics" usually depreciate as fast as cars.. unbox it and the value is halved.

That always surprised me. When I bought my SB3s, I checked out the used market on Ebay. I was shocked at how used SB3s commanded almost the same price as brand new.

Even after the next gen product came out (duet), the SB3s are still holding value.

Pretty amazing.

Andy8421
2009-03-09, 13:20
I would suspect part of the demand on Ebay reflects European buyers who are attempting to circumvent the differential pricing structure of Logitech. Where the prices on Ebay higher than the price of a 'new in the box with warranty' from Slimdevices in Europe?

ModelCitizen
2009-03-09, 13:47
Even after the next gen product came out (duet), the SB3s are still holding value. Pretty amazing.
Yes, the SB3 is a very good product.

MC

Goodsounds
2009-03-09, 14:25
I would suspect part of the demand on Ebay reflects European buyers who are attempting to circumvent the differential pricing structure of Logitech. Where the prices on Ebay higher than the price of a 'new in the box with warranty' from Slimdevices in Europe?

For the 25 plus years I have been travelling to Europe, international consumer goods (especially electronics) have always been considerably more expensive than in the US. Always, and without considering VAT. Computers, electronics, CDs, cameras, etc., you name it.

As far as I know, it's not seen simply with Logitech's products, but with most products. Is your experience different?

Andy8421
2009-03-09, 21:13
I wish it was different. I would agree that in many cases, products are more expensive in Europe. Many arguments as to why, expensive distribution channels, higher employment costs, the list goes on and on. For the savvy European buyer, most of this can be circumvented by buying from the US over the net. Back in the days of Slim you could buy from their US site, and ship to Europe. Logitech have barred European destinations from Slim on-line store and Europeans are now at the mercy of a very flaky Logitech European distribution system and sigificantly higher prices. To give a couple of examples, if I wish to buy any Slim accessories I have to email customer service first because I cant get them off the Slim site, and when the Boom was launched (in spite of Boom's being 'stacked up in the backroom in mountain view') we had to wait about a month while Booms filtered their way through a distribution channel that was clearly more suited to wireless mice.
So the service has gone down, and prices have gone up. We do have better beer however.

floydthecat
2009-03-09, 21:28
Read it and weep ;-)

Beer Advocate (http://beeradvocate.com/)

Goodsounds
2009-03-10, 15:00
I wish it was different. I would agree that in many cases, products are more expensive in Europe. Many arguments as to why, expensive distribution channels, higher employment costs, the list goes on and on. For the savvy European buyer, most of this can be circumvented by buying from the US over the net. Back in the days of Slim you could buy from their US site, and ship to Europe. Logitech have barred European destinations from Slim on-line store and Europeans are now at the mercy of a very flaky Logitech European distribution system and sigificantly higher prices. To give a couple of examples, if I wish to buy any Slim accessories I have to email customer service first because I cant get them off the Slim site, and when the Boom was launched (in spite of Boom's being 'stacked up in the backroom in mountain view') we had to wait about a month while Booms filtered their way through a distribution channel that was clearly more suited to wireless mice.
So the service has gone down, and prices have gone up. We do have better beer however.

I'm quite familiar with the situation, historically and at present, and the various things that can be done to save money on purchases. It wasn't clear to me why you were bashing Logitech for a situation, at least as regards pricing, that is longstanding and certainly more the rule than the exception. A backward internal distribution channel needs to be fixed, but I have to tell you that in general, I have often found customer service can be rather lacking in Europe. Nowhere more so than in the UK.

"I'm terribly sorry, Sir, but that is simply not possible". I can say it in several different languages. Never heard the phrase used with mundane customer requests until I lived in Europe. It's a polite "NO! Please go away and stop asking me for something I have no intention to do".

MrJB
2009-03-10, 18:27
...read it and dream.....

http://www.camra.org.uk/

bobkoure
2009-03-11, 05:18
Looks like there's room for a grey market business there - or possibly here.

I buy Japanese grey products from a marketer there - for instance, a bulb for my RPTV is around $350 here (US) - or $160 (including shipping from the "home islands") bought grey.
Great for stuff that seems unreasonably over-inflated here (US) but small/light enough that shipping isn't a big deal.

The issue is that warranty / service isn't covered by the distributor here. If I was dealing with a distributor who provided no service, then, IMHO, there'd be no reason to give them extra money.

signor_rossi
2009-03-11, 05:59
...read it and dream.....

http://www.camra.org.uk/

Prost, I have very good beer from a local (very small) brewery right from the tap here....

As for Ebay, I had a look and I rarely have seen a cheaper price than what I can get from normal online shops here in Italy. I got my Duet for 280€ new, and it seems that the Booms have arrived in bigger numbers now, I will probably get one when I see a good offer (I am thinking of UK prices here).
But I also must say that SB products being relatively cheap in Italy is an exception, computer stuff for example is ordinarily 10-20% more expensive than in Germany.