PDA

View Full Version : Amazing SB3

Rikk
2009-03-07, 08:22
Finally it arrived! I spent some hours to get used and now I got it almost completely. I have to say that I like it a lot, even if I found some weaknesses that, in my opinion, if removed, would make of the SB3 the perfect living room companion.

One of these weaknesses is that if no internet connection is available and your SC is turned off, the SB3 is not able to show anything, neither the time! At the moment my SC is on the pc, that is not always on, due to power consumption. I'd like by the way to keep SB3 turned on as an elegant clock, but this is not possible unless I keep the router turned on. Don't like this.

The other one is about plugins. Superdatetime is really great, and I'd like to use it always, even when, as always, my pc is turned off. Isn't it possibile to integrate in some way these few plugins in SN as is done in SC?

This said, I like my SB3 so much!

mooblie
2009-03-07, 08:42
You turn your router on and off? That's unusual! I'm sure most people leave it on all the time.

Rikk
2009-03-07, 09:11
You turn your router on and off? That's unusual! I'm sure most people leave it on all the time.

Well, yes. I'm at home (awake) for no more than 5 hours a day, so I turn it on only when I need to use the pc. Since I got the SB3 (few days) I turn it on when I want to hear music, too. That is still a couple of hours a day. Sometimes some more, but...

damager
2009-03-07, 09:33
I totally get why people want to turn off a PC, but a router? That cant cost more than a nickel a month to leave on - why in the world to you want to deal with the hassle of turning it on and off, let alone the wear and tear on the router of all those power cycles?

Mnyb
2009-03-07, 09:42
Well, yes. I'm at home (awake) for no more than 5 hours a day, so I turn it on only when I need to use the pc. Since I got the SB3 (few days) I turn it on when I want to hear music, too. That is still a couple of hours a day. Sometimes some more, but...

Why not just turn it on all the time you are home ? when your not at home who should see the clock then ?

imho leave it on, networking is weird enough without to many restarts of the network especially if you use dhcp or have flaky router firmware (which in turn actually needs a restart sometimes a couple of times every year) it's like turning of electrical utilities with the main switch when leaving home.

peter
2009-03-08, 04:27
Rikk wrote:
> Finally it arrived! I spent some hours to get used and now I got it
> almost completely. I have to say that I like it a lot, even if I found
> some weaknesses that, in my opinion, if removed, would make of the SB3
> the perfect living room companion.
>
> One of these weaknesses is that if no internet connection is available
> and your SC is turned off, the SB3 is not able to show anything,
> neither the time! At the moment my SC is on the pc, that is not always
> on, due to power consumption. I'd like by the way to keep SB3 turned on
> as an elegant clock, but this is not possible unless I keep the router
> turned on. Don't like this.
>

The SB-family is really designed for an always-on network. It works in
other configurations, but not really that well. That's the whole point
of thin clients.

Regards,
Peter

Rikk
2009-03-08, 12:24
The SB-family is really designed for an always-on network. It works in
other configurations, but not really that well. That's the whole point
of thin clients.

Regards,
Peter

actually I have to admit that you're right. Even if the discussion about the clock is going on in this thread, that I started for the boom, but came to this same point: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=404501#post404501

So what you said gives more strenght to my second point: plugins on SN! Or not?

aubuti
2009-03-08, 13:47
So what you said gives more strenght to my second point: plugins on SN! Or not?
Plugins on SN are technically possible, because SN is really just a bunch of computers out on the internet running SC. But here's the catch: how do you decide *which* plugins to include? Every different user has his/her own ideas about which are the most important plugins. And after deciding which plugins to support, you need to allow per-user customization. Like I said, it's not technically insurmountable at all, but there are a few devils in the details to consider.

I am pretty sure there's an enhancement request for plugins on SN. Search for it in bugs.slimdevices.com, and if you find it, vote for it.

Rikk
2009-03-09, 00:59
Plugins on SN are technically possible, because SN is really just a bunch of computers out on the internet running SC. But here's the catch: how do you decide *which* plugins to include?
All those in the "standard" list in SC with a similar list on SN

Every different user has his/her own ideas about which are the most important plugins. And after deciding which plugins to support, you need to allow per-user customization. Like I said, it's not technically insurmountable at all, but there are a few devils in the details to consider.
I guess it's just like supporting the individual favorites list

I am pretty sure there's an enhancement request for plugins on SN. Search for it in bugs.slimdevices.com, and if you find it, vote for it.
Done! I found a request for the one I like more (superdatetime) and voted.

Bryan Jan
2009-03-09, 01:02
even better if the SB3 can switch to SN when the pc is turned off. Right now the user still has to manually switch the SB3 to connect to SN otherwise the display cannot show the clock.

moley6knipe
2009-03-09, 01:06
SvrPwrCtrl plugin should do what you want

Rikk
2009-03-09, 01:09
even better if the SB3 can switch to SN when the pc is turned off. Right now the user still has to manually switch the SB3 to connect to SN otherwise the display cannot show the clock.
this would be a nice feature

SvrPwrCtrl plugin should do what you want
I cant find it, would you post a link to that, please?
Does it connect back to SC when it's back up?

toby10
2009-03-09, 03:30
this would be a nice feature

I cant find it, would you post a link to that, please?
Does it connect back to SC when it's back up?

No, it's still a manual event. Once your SB3 is no longer connected to SC then you have no access to plugins.

Rikk
2009-03-09, 03:38
No, it's still a manual event. Once your SB3 is no longer connected to SC then you have no access to plugins.
Right! Do you know the link to download SvrPwrCtrl ?

toby10
2009-03-09, 05:07
Right! Do you know the link to download SvrPwrCtrl ?

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/SqueezeCenter_Plugins

Just make sure any plugin is compatible with your current version of SC7.

aubuti
2009-03-09, 06:10
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/SqueezeCenter_Plugins

Just make sure any plugin is compatible with your current version of SC7.
I'm not sure it's in the wiki plugin listings yet, but here is the main support thread from the 3rd Party Plugins forum, which includes current download links in post #1: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=48521

Rikk
2009-03-09, 06:12
thank you guys!

aubuti
2009-03-09, 06:16
All those in the "standard" list in SC with a similar list on SN
Well, then that would exclude SuperDateTime, which is one you said you specifically wanted in your original post. Which is it?

Oh, and one correction to toby10's post about SrvrPowerControl. It *can* be configured to reconnect players to SC when the local server comes back up. Basically the plugin remembers which players were connected to SC before switching the players over to SN and suspending/hibernating the server. When the SC server starts up again it goes out and grabs those players back to SC. It's really brilliant.

Rikk
2009-03-09, 06:22
Well, then that would exclude SuperDateTime, which is one you said you specifically wanted in your original post. Which is it?
The opposite: I meant that one in particular. Superdatetime is in the list of those plugin you can install via SC. You find it in advanced setup, download extension utility (or something like this, I'm using the italian version). Anyway: the tab before the last one (should be "informations").

aubuti
2009-03-09, 06:31
The opposite: I meant that one in particular. Superdatetime is in the list of those plugin you can install via SC. You find it in advanced setup, download extension utility (or something like this, I'm using the italian version). Anyway: the tab before the last one (should be "informations").
Okay, mixup in terminology. Most of us understand the "standard" plugins to be those that are included with SC package, *and* officially supported by SD/Logi. SuperDateTime is neither of those.

If you want to include the 3rd party plugins that are available via the Extensions Downloader then you have raised the ante considerably, because it means Logitech installing something on the SN servers that they don't support at present. That would add quite a load to the job of SD/Logi tech support (SD/Logi staff may help on 3rd party plugins at times, but most of the support is from the plugin authors and other users).

Rikk
2009-03-09, 06:45
Okay, mixup in terminology. Most of us understand the "standard" plugins to be those that are included with SC package, *and* officially supported by SD/Logi. SuperDateTime is neither of those.
Ah, ok, my ignorance. Got it.

If you want to include the 3rd party plugins that are available via the Extensions Downloader then you have raised the ante considerably, because it means Logitech installing something on the SN servers that they don't support at present. That would add quite a load to the job of SD/Logi tech support (SD/Logi staff may help on 3rd party plugins at times, but most of the support is from the plugin authors and other users).
I see... It's a pity!