PDA

View Full Version : Kentucky Fried Squeezebox?

kitecarl
2009-03-04, 09:34
Hi everyone,

Have a sad case to tell... I recently moved from the US to the UK, and I was so glad to finally have my beloved Squeezebox back in my hands, I plugged it into the UK power line with what I thought was a working power adaptor/transformer, but all was not good. I've come to the conclusion that the transformer part of the adaptor no longer works, so I think I've fried my unit. Any easy way I can figure this out? Not sure if Logitech could even fix what broke, and I'm afraid what the costs would be. Fortunately I have two other SBs so I'm not without my preeeecious.

Thanks everyone, part of this is just to have you all commiserate on my sorrows.

-Carl

seanadams
2009-03-04, 09:43
the SB is probably OK. Find a 5V power supply and give it a try...

nacmacfeegle
2009-03-04, 09:57
Hi Carl, welcome to the UK.

Have a look at this thread....it should give you a few pointers to source a new PS.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=54044&highlight=uk+power

kitecarl
2009-03-05, 02:11
Thanks for the suggestions. I should have put a bit more detail in my original post. I did later on buy the proper 5V power cords for my other two SBs, and they're both working great. The SB that is not working, however, does not work with these cords, which is why I think it's fried. I plug it it in, and a red light comes on in the back (SP/DIF connection I think) but the display doesn't turn on in the front.

I assume the next step is to ship it back to SD. Is there a flat fix-it rate, or should I just save up and buy a new device? Thanks again..

4mula1
2009-03-05, 05:23
You might want to read this thread (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=59208) which sounds almost exactly like your problem.

radish
2009-03-05, 07:09
I assume the next step is to ship it back to SD. Is there a flat fix-it rate, or should I just save up and buy a new device? Thanks again..

My memory is a US out-of-warranty repair is a flat $90 plus shipping or something like that. Not sure if it's the same policy in the UK or not.

seanadams
2009-03-05, 07:32
Check inside for a loose connection which may have occurred in shipping. Make sure the boards are fully seated.

The reason I don't think you have a fried unit is that SB3's inputs are protected from overvoltage and reverse polarity. When I was testing this feature, I tried some incorrect power supplies and could not get it to cook. So then I tried putting mains voltage directly across the DC input - this vaporized the traces off the PCB between the protection circuit and the input plug, but once I reconnected them it worked just fine!

seanadams
2009-03-05, 07:33
You might want to read this thread (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=59208) which sounds almost exactly like your problem.

That's not it... he had applied a high voltage to the headphone output.

4mula1
2009-03-05, 07:50
That's not it... he had applied a high voltage to the headphone output.

I realized that a few minutes after I posted but hadn't edited my post. When I saw the optical output was still working I thought "I've seen that problem" before realizing that the other case involved putting 9 volts on the headphone jack.

kitecarl
2009-03-05, 08:17
Perfect - I wonder if a wire might have been bumped in the shipping across the Atlantic. I will most certainly check things out to see if something looks off.

The Squeezebox is by far the best consumer electronics product I have EVER bought - nothing else delivers so many great features and adds features as years go by. The same Christmas my wife and I splurged for 3 SBs, we also got a Roomba robot vacuum... My wife and I had debates at the time on which gadget we enjoyed more. Well, the Roomba is stowed away in the cupboard, having had to be shipped back to iRobot THREE times, while the SBs are still going strong!

iPhone
2009-03-05, 08:24
The Squeezebox is by far the best consumer electronics product I have EVER bought -

And I can't think of another Company where the Founder checks the Forum daily to deliver product insight, wisdom, free advice, and just plain excellent support of the Company's product line!