PDA

View Full Version : Harmony, Receiver, SB3 confusion

aiken
2009-03-03, 11:20
Hi, everyone. I'm just getting back going with my Squeeze setup after being too busy to really deal with it for a year or two. As an original owner of a plain old Squeezebox way back when, I'm really pleased and impressed at how innovative the company remains, even after the Logitech acquisition. Kudos!

However, I'm a bit stumped at how to achieve my goals. I'm sure it's doable, I'm just rusty with this stuff and don't know where to start. My setup:

- Downstairs: Squeezebox Receiver, connected by TOSLink to an AV receiver

- Upstairs: SB3, connected by analog to powered speakers

- Remotes: Harmony 890, Harmony wireless extender (currently downstairs, feeding AV receiver and a Mac Mini running Plex), Squeezebox Controller, iPhone with iPeng.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to control everything from the Harmony remote -- at least for volume, mute, pause, play, etc. The problem, I think, is that the Receiver doesn't accept IR commands. And the Controller doesn't send IR.

Can any of you clever folk find a way for me to control the AV receiver's volume, the SB3's volume, and pause/mute/skip SqueezeCenter, all from one single remote?

agillis
2009-03-03, 13:22
Seem like it should all work. All the components you have accept IR commands and your extender should be able to send IR commands to everything. So what's the problem?

Mnyb
2009-03-03, 13:31
The SqueezeBox Receiver has no IR capability .

aubuti
2009-03-03, 13:52
Ideally, I'd like to be able to control everything from the Harmony remote -- at least for volume, mute, pause, play, etc. The problem, I think, is that the Receiver doesn't accept IR commands. And the Controller doesn't send IR.
Actually the Controller *does* send IR. It's buried away somewhere in the Advanced menus, maybe under "Test" or something. At the present time it is only configured to emulate the SB3's IR remote, but it is possible to reprogram it to send other codes. Search on these forums, because recently there was someone who posted the mappings to control one particular line of amps via the SBC's IR emitter. So you might be able to get something worked out using the SBC to control everything, using IR or TCP/IP as needed. But the Harmony would be out of the picture because it can't control the SBR (I don't know anything about that Harmony remote, but I'm assuming it is IR only).

agillis
2009-03-03, 15:54
Every version of Squeezebox ever made has IR. None of them have any other user input accept an IR remote.

cooppw02
2009-03-03, 16:07
No agillis, the SBR doesn't have an IR receiver.

One possible hack to get the SBR responding to the Harmony is to add an IR receiver to your server, then throw together some scripts to tie button presses to the Squeezecenter CLI. However, this approach would generally only work if your server is in some proximity to your SBR.

In your case aiken, why not match the SBR with the powered speakers, and the SB3 with the A/V receiver? Otherwise, it's probably simplest to just get another SB3 and sell the SBR if you don't need another player.

aubuti
2009-03-03, 16:22
Every version of Squeezebox ever made has IR. None of them have any other user input accept an IR remote.
Well, we're all wrong at one time or another, but not always so emphatically wrong. ;o)

1) Take a look at http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/HardwareComparison , especially where the SBR column intersects the IR row (hint: it's the place where the cell entry is "None").

2) Huh? Ever hear of the SB Controller? Or wifi PDAs or any of the iPhone/iPod Touch plugins?

agillis
2009-03-03, 18:36
Yeah your right. I thought he was talking about the downstairs setup. From the description it dosn't sound like he has a Harmony IR sender upstairs anyway. So there would be no way to send IR to the SBR.

It would be really cool if there was some way to integrate Z-wave with SqueezeCenter. They make Z-wave receivers with Linux drivers but I'm not sure how the two would integrate.

aiken
2009-03-03, 19:10
Thanks for the thoughts. I'm glad there wasn't some completely obvious solution; I'm a little rusty on my AV tech stuff, but not a complete idiot at least.

I need the SB3 upstairs because it's also my alarm clock (its time display is nice). It sounds like I've made a tactical error and should have bought another SB3 for downstairs, but I was trying to be unobtrusive and use fewer displays and lights.

Some kind of z-wave control would definitely be nice; I've got a Mac Mini there that could probably do something. I suppose I could also write a small app that runs on the Mac Mini, receives the SB3 IR codes, and sends them to the SBR via WiFi. All more work than I was hoping for; maybe I'm better off just selling the SBR, buying an SB3, and putting it face down or somewhere behind the stereo cabinet.

Anyways, thanks again for trying to figure a solution!

cooppw02
2009-03-03, 20:04
Well, I'm 2/3 done with a hack of the type that both you and I are on the same page about. I worked at it for a little while about a month ago, and just haven't gotten around to finishing it.

I have a Linux HTPC, a Harmony One remote, and an SBR. I have set up the Harmony to emulate the SB3 remote. I have set up LIRC to recognize these SB3 IR codes. I have also written a few simple scripts that are sent to Squeezecenter and control the SBR. The scripts are as simple as the following, which is a pause/play toggle.

#!/bin/bash
echo '00:04:20:16:1a:65 pause' | nc mythbox 9090 -q 1

The MAC address is the SBR, and mythbox is a box running my Squeezecenter. The CLI documentation is all that's needed to create simple variations on this.

The only thing I have left to do is to write a config file pointing to those scripts for LIRC's irexec component, and I also need to get irexec to start on boot.

You could do the same thing... LIRC does run on OS X. This isn't entirely trivial stuff though. IMO, LIRC is a complete PITA to configure. I guess it's necessarily so, because everyone is trying to use a different IR receiver, a different remote, and are trying to control different programs.