PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox radio for a car?

mkanet
2009-03-02, 19:55
Is there a way to have access same kind of access in a car? The only way I can think of doing it is via a netbook with 3G Internet access and softsqueeze.

SuperQ
2009-03-02, 21:30
You could also mount a mini-itx box in your trunk with a laptop drive and squeezecenter. Then you could use squeezeslave to push audio to your amp.

You could use a squeezebox controller as the UI.

pfarrell
2009-03-02, 21:53
mkanet wrote:
> Is there a way to have access same kind of access in a car?

What do you mean by "radio"? There was a post a year or so ago about
someone who hacked a SqueezeBox into his car's dash, with a Linux system
under the seat.

With a Duet, it would be a lot easier than it was way back then.

Or do you mean "radio" as in Internet radio stations?
Some new Dodge cars have WiFi, I think they use a G3 cell phone
connection. Clearly you could do that, but I would expect that the data
fees could get pricy.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

iPhone
2009-03-02, 23:09
Is there a way to have access same kind of access in a car? The only way I can think of doing it is via a netbook with 3G Internet access and softsqueeze.

Why do 3G and run up your phone bill (unless you have unlimited for X dollars)? It is just easier to run a laptop or a Mac mini. If drive space is an issue, just put the hits on the hard drive instead of whole albums which most people probably don't listen to anyway.

We are currently using a Duet and a Mac Mini in our Thunderbird and an SB3 with a laptop in our Expedition. Probably going to get another Duet for the Expedition because its just easier. The SB3 is hidden away as the laptop is on a mount between the seats and we use the WebUI to control things. This is all using SC as there is no Internet connection to run SN with. The Duet really hides nicely in the larger SUVs. The Receiver under the dash or seat with the SBC charger in the center console under the arm rest. We have been moving things around and trying different setups and we both just really like using the Duet the best. Going to just have to buy another one.

toby10
2009-03-03, 03:53

Couple other ideas, but not quite SC functionality:
- Get a car head unit with USB input in the rear of the unit, buy a portable USB hard drive, put your entire MP3 collection on it, hide the hard drive in the dash. It's not SC but it works quite well. I have a 160 gb hard drive with my entire music collection on it, discretely tucked up under my dash for easy access (adding music).

- For Internet Radio listening there is the Slacker portable units. You dl your preselected Slacker stations onto the unit and play through your car stereo. I do not use this and I have not heard the best reviews regarding the performance of these portable players, but it's a neat concept.

Moonbase
2009-03-03, 05:26
When Solid State Discs become cheaper (still), having a little Atom-based SC and a Duet combo in the car might become an interesting option. (Shock-proof) Or maybe just SC+SqueezeSlave+SBC and play from the li'l Atom PC to the car stereo.

The PC could even roam for access points, in order to get SN. I’ve seen "open" (or cheap) access points on camping sites...

Syncing the music between the "home" SC and the "car" SC could then be done via WLAN and rsync while the car was parked in front of your house.

Eventually, someone might even come up with a unit that fits into the car stereo opening and has a nice (aka SB3) display...

:-)

Beann50
2009-03-09, 01:20
I've been using a SB with a Linkstation in a car for about three years now. This is actually the second car for the system and I had to switch from a SB2 to a SB3 to fit in the dash of the new car. The Linkstation also has a car PC power supply in it. It is still the original drive in the Linkstation though. Since I live in the south I thought the heat would have burned it up a long time ago.

The best part of the system is that it syncs up with the server inside the house using the wireless card in the SB3 so that all of my music, podcasts, and audiobooks are available at any of the 3 SB's in the house or the one in the car. I tried to just use an ipod in the new car like normal people, but got fed up and had the SB setup installed within a few weeks.

toby10
2009-03-09, 03:24
I've been using a SB with a Linkstation in a car for about three years now. This is actually the second car for the system and I had to switch from a SB2 to a SB3 to fit in the dash of the new car. The Linkstation also has a car PC power supply in it. It is still the original drive in the Linkstation though. Since I live in the south I thought the heat would have burned it up a long time ago.

The best part of the system is that it syncs up with the server inside the house using the wireless card in the SB3 so that all of my music, podcasts, and audiobooks are available at any of the 3 SB's in the house or the one in the car. I tried to just use an ipod in the new car like normal people, but got fed up and had the SB setup installed within a few weeks.

That's awesome! Do you have pics?? :)

Club1820
2009-03-10, 07:30
yes, please post pics.

snarlydwarf
2009-03-10, 08:10
Read down a few posts

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=31248

And, yes, I am jealous.

Beann50
2009-03-10, 17:16
That's the old car with the SB2, but what I have now is basically the same thing with a SB3 and the LinkStation still in the glove box.

toby10
2009-03-11, 03:10
That's the old car with the SB2, but what I have now is basically the same thing with a SB3 and the LinkStation still in the glove box.

Very nice! I suppose if you get a Hummer the Boom could fit in the dash? :)

peter
2009-04-22, 22:25
Beann50 wrote:
> That's the old car with the SB2, but what I have now is basically the
> same thing with a SB3 and the LinkStation still in the glove box.
>

Hi Beann,

I'm thinking of setting up a similar system in my car. Could you please
provide some more details as far as the timers and relays are concerned?
Also you mention that you've used a car pc power supply in the
linkstation. Which one did you use? Something like this?
http://www.mini-box.com/Car-PC-Automotive-Computing-Solutions

You could probably do many of us a big favor and write this up in a wiki
page...

Regards,
Peter

LavaJoe
2009-12-01, 17:25
mkanet wrote:
> Is there a way to have access same kind of access in a car?

There was a post a year or so ago about
someone who hacked a SqueezeBox into his car's dash, with a Linux system
under the seat.

That was me. It's still going strong. I am actually surprised at how well the little hard drive has weathered the elements. I did install a kill switch so I could keep it from booting in very cold weather. The SB2 form factor worked well in my case. The new units don't look like they'd work as well, but as you say, the Duet might work well.

-Joe