PDA

View Full Version : You Might Be A Squeeze Geek If...

Mike Meyer
2009-03-02, 18:32
Your daughter draws a picture of a Squeezebox Boom in Kindergarten class.

MeSue
2009-03-02, 18:55
Too cute... who can top that?

maggior
2009-03-02, 20:16
Oh, that's too cute!!! Having just put a Boom in my daughter's room, I can only hope she would some something similar when she is in kindergarten next year.

This made my wife laught too. She said "her teacher probably thought what the heck is a squeezebox boom?" :-).

Kids at this age are too funny. My daugter's pre school class recently had Dad's Night, where Dads are invited to the classroom one evening to see how their kids spend their time at school. As part of this, they drew a picture of their dad and shared their view of "Dad's Specs". My daughter thought I was 31 years old, 100 feet tall, and thought I had a job where I got to do "realy cool stuff". Oh, and I weigh 81 pounds. Oh, if it were only true :-). BTW, I'm not 31 (I wish!).

BTW - I recognize the boom, but what is that big brown thing on the left? Is that your couch? It's funny how kids at this age draw in similar ways. When my daughter (who is almost 5) draws people, she draws their hands and feet exactly like your daughter's - with straight radial lines.

Mike Meyer
2009-03-02, 21:11
BTW - I recognize the boom, but what is that big brown thing on the left? Is that your couch?

Yep, that's our brown couch. :) This picture is going up in the cubicle tomorrow. ha ha

eq72521
2009-03-02, 23:00
My kids talk about the "music server" all the time. A couple iterations ago I used to have my eldest (this was back when he was 3) go downstairs to turn it on in the morning and then off at night. I don't know if it's come up in his Kindergarten class yet...

Coincidentally, I just set up the new SB Receiver in their room tonight (replacing the purchased-in-1993-for-$30 Casio CD Alarm Clock Boombox that was handed down to them). They still just want to listen to the same old Tom Waits Lullaby mix that I made for them a couple years ago...

cdmackay
2009-03-03, 08:48
eq72521 wrote:
> Coincidentally, I just set up the new SB Receiver in their room tonight
> (replacing the purchased-in-1993-for-$30 Casio CD Alarm Clock Boombox
> that was handed down to them). They still just want to listen to the
> same old Tom Waits Lullaby mix that I made for them a couple years
> ago...

:) that sounds nice for my little girl... which tracks?

cheers,
calum.

ccrome2
2009-03-03, 11:11
Your daughter draws a picture of a Squeezebox Boom in Kindergarten class.

That's AWESOME :-)

If only my kids would get so excited about them...

4mula1
2009-03-03, 11:46
For fun I took my Boom into my daughter's room. It didn't quite have the punch I thought it should so I grabbed my wife's Klipsch iPod speaker and used the line in on it to act as a subwoofer. Much better. My daughter thought it was great having it in there.

My daughter is getting closer to wanting a Boom of her own. I think I need to upgrade the music server to handle a VM for her instance of SC.

Tonight I'll have to teach her to draw a Boom for school (she's also in Kindergarten)...

maggior
2009-03-04, 07:19
I have one of those Klipsch iPod speaker systems myself. Side by side, the Klipsch sounds better to my ears too - more bass. The two are a different design - the Klipsch system is ported (the port is in the back) and the Logitech system is sealed.

When doing my comparison, I noticed that the Boom is very sensitive to location. I'm not up on speaker design, but I wonder if this is because of the different designs (sealed vs. ported).

When I had the Boom sitting away from the wall, it sounded very anemic in the bass area. Once I moved it within 6 inches of the wall, viola, there was bass. My wife even noticed a big difference and thought it was pretty neat to see what a difference it makes.

I put my daughter's Boom on top of a book shelf a few inches from the wall. With the volume at a decent level, I can actually feel the bass in the floor.

Moonbase
2009-03-04, 12:11
Too cute! :-) So sad they grow up that fast ...

My 16-year-old is more interested in things like "Can I disassemble your Duet Controller to see how it works?" and "Dad, just HOW do you know where to change all this Perl code to make SC do what you want?"

I actually fear his next birthday present list ... and surely, my daughter will want one too if he gets one ... :-)

Moonbase/TNG (The Next Generation), hee hee :-)

Do they already use SqueezeBoxen on the ISS?

eq72521
2009-03-04, 13:01
eq72521 wrote:
> Coincidentally, I just set up the new SB Receiver in their room tonight
> (replacing the purchased-in-1993-for-$30 Casio CD Alarm Clock Boombox
> that was handed down to them). They still just want to listen to the
> same old Tom Waits Lullaby mix that I made for them a couple years
> ago...

:) that sounds nice for my little girl... which tracks?

cheers,
calum.

No problem. I don't have the names of the albums handy; let me know if you need to know the source of a particular song. After a couple years of listening, I might strike "Ruby's Arms", "Johnsburg, Illinois", and possibly even "Lost In The Harbour", as his strained singing in those sometimes gets to me when I hear them in the next room. I also realize that some of these tracks are perhaps a bit dark and/or egotistical on my part, but that's how I like it. Finally, my wife claims there are lyrics in here that are not age appropriate, though I still haven't given a close listen for that. Caveat emptor.

Grapefruit Moon
Ruby's Arms
Jitterbug Boy
The Last Rose Of Summer
Rainbirds
Pony
Yesterday Is Here
Swordfishtrombones
The Heart Of Saturday Night
Johnsburg, Illinois
Midnight Lullaby
Broken Bicycles
Long Way Home
I'm Still Here
A Little Rain
Time
Picture In A Frame
Closing Time
Innocent When You Dream (78)
Clap Hands
Lost In The Harbour
Green Grass
Soldier's Things

cdmackay
2009-03-04, 14:54
great, thanks; I don't have nearly enough Waits, and this will give me
an excuse to get some more :)

cheers,
calum.

eq72521
2009-03-05, 14:41
great, thanks; I don't have nearly enough Waits, and this will give me
an excuse to get some more :)

cheers,
calum.

I'm always happy to help people acquire more Waits. I think I have it all, possibly minus a couple outlying soundtracks. I'm moving on to his influences now, like Howlin' Wolf.

Mike Meyer
2009-03-06, 07:04
My other daughter, age 10, wants me to mention that my avatar is an SB3 she made for me out of melting beads last year. Further evidence that I talk about these devices a lot! I guess the first step is admitting I have a problem.

Moonbase
2009-03-07, 09:41
»Hi! My name is Moonbase and I am a Slim- … a-hem … Squeeze-o-holic.«

:-)