PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Squeezebox classic

normand
2009-03-02, 18:08
Hi,
I just purchased a Squeezebox classic, tried to install it but i lack the knowledge, basicaly i don't know much about computers. It just dont work !

I have tried installing directly to my pc using a crossover cable

I have a pc with XP pro sp3
i have 2 ethernet output;
- Realtek RTL1839 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC -for internet
- Nvidia nForce Networking Controller (on main board) -for the Squeezebox

I have installed the squeezeCenter sofware, tried configuring the player and it is not working, not recognized.

Can someone take me step by step on how to get this working, i am completely lost.

Thanks in advance
Normand

Anoop M.
2009-03-02, 18:30
Do you have a router in your house?

If not you may want to purchase a router...it will make setup allot easier.

BlueScreenJunky
2009-03-03, 01:56
How did you connect your Squeezebox ? On the Squeezeboxclassic you need to use a crossover RJ45 cable, not a straight (regular) one.
Also, could you try to describe exactly what's happening : How do you configure the Squeezebox ? What appears on the screen ? Is Squeezecenter working OK on the PC (can you browse your collection ?) etc.

PC : A router does make things simpler, but you shouldn't need one.

toby10
2009-03-03, 03:39
How did you connect your Squeezebox ? On the Squeezeboxclassic you need to use a crossover RJ45 cable, not a straight (regular) one.
Also, could you try to describe exactly what's happening : How do you configure the Squeezebox ? What appears on the screen ? Is Squeezecenter working OK on the PC (can you browse your collection ?) etc.

PC : A router does make things simpler, but you shouldn't need one.

He is using a cross-over cable. :)

I've poked around the Wiki page listing all SB articles but I can't find the one related to his setup to refer him too. I'm guessing it's just a matter of Wiki article title wording? Direct connect? Ad-hoc?

Mark Lanctot
2009-03-03, 08:04
I've poked around the Wiki page listing all SB articles but I can't find the one related to his setup to refer him too. I'm guessing it's just a matter of Wiki article title wording? Direct connect? Ad-hoc?

Would it be this one?

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/NetworkDesign

It would be in the "Adding a Squeezebox" section. You'd need to enable bridging/ICS and set the IP addresses for the second NIC.

It's not easy, especially for a beginner. A router isn't required but it does make it a whole lot easier.