PDA

View Full Version : [ANN] Squeemote 1.2, now with device sync!

Luke Redpath
2009-02-27, 19:43
Thanks to a quick turnaround from Apple this week (only three days), I'm happy to announce that Squeemote 1.2 is now available. The biggest feature in this release is the new quick device selector and device sync functionality. There is also some added extras such as browse by genre and other UI tweaks, various bug fixes and performance improvements.

Here's a complete changelog:

* NEW: Device synching controls
* NEW: Device power on/off toggle
* NEW: Improved pop-up device selection screen
* IMPROVED: Tweaked the current playlist UI and how it appears
* NEW: Browse library by genre
* NEW: Device mute control
* NEW: Library browser tab order can be reordered
* IMPROVED: Better data caching mechanism. Data is now initially cached on first load, and future cache updates are automatically downloaded in the background if a server rescan has taken place since the cache was last updated. Manual resyncs are no longer necessary
* IMPROVED: Artists list is cached for improved performance
* IMPROVED: Support for servers with authentication enabled when auto-detecting server, with a simple authentication dialog (no manual settings required other than username/password)
* FIXED: bug where Squeemote would stop receiving updates after being locked for a period of time
* FIXED: no longer makes more requests to the server than necessary to maintain state which should lead to better performance.
* FIXED: playback timer would sometimes reset unexpectedly and become out of sync

I've also pushed out a few changes to the Squeemote website (http://lukeredpath.co.uk/squeemote). Enjoy the new release and if you've been holding off of trying out Squeemote because of its lack of device sync capabilities, I ask you to give it a try. Work on 1.3 has already begun in earnest.

Download Squeemote 1.2 from the iTunes Store (http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=298005260&mt=8)

mmca22gr
2009-02-27, 21:02
Thanks for the update, power toggle was top of my list. It works great now!

Luke Redpath
2009-02-27, 21:03
Thanks for the update, power toggle was top of my list. It works great now!

Was top of my list too! ;)

Luke Redpath
2009-02-28, 09:44
Just a quick note, I've updated the FAQs on the site with some instructions regarding the new device management screen.

http://lukeredpath.co.uk/squeemote/faq.html

If you've bought Squeemote and like it, I'd really appreciate any reviews you can leave on the iTunes store and if you've previously reviewed it and you feel it has changed for the better in recent releases, don't forget to update your reviews. Thanks.

socistep
2009-03-01, 05:20
Just a quick note, I've updated the FAQs on the site with some instructions regarding the new device management screen.

http://lukeredpath.co.uk/squeemote/faq.html

If you've bought Squeemote and like it, I'd really appreciate any reviews you can leave on the iTunes store and if you've previously reviewed it and you feel it has changed for the better in recent releases, don't forget to update your reviews. Thanks.

Hi Luke,

Bought Squeemote when it first came out but was waiting for later versions before using it seriously, have now updated to v1.2 but are having problems in getting it to connect to server.

Auto search doesn't bring it up so I add in the manual details but it won't connect, IP/ports I believe are correct - any advice on how to get back this stage ?

I run SC on Ubuntu and have the latest version

Thanks
Ian

Luke Redpath
2009-03-01, 08:48
Mmm I have had a few reports of connection problems today and to be honest I'm a bit baffled as I haven't seen this problem myself. Rest assured I'll be looking into why its happening and if there is a bug I'll have a fix out ASAP.

Luke Redpath
2009-03-01, 15:39
A bug has been discovered in the artist sorting code that would cause artists to sometimes be sorted incorrectly or in some cases prevent the artists tab from displaying anything at all.

Thanks to the Squeemote user who helped me debug this problem by allowing me to connect to their SqueezeCenter to investigate the issue; this bug has now been fixed and a new release (1.2.1) has been submitted to Apple this evening.

burnside
2009-03-02, 07:30
Hi Luke,

Bought Squeemote when it first came out but was waiting for later versions before using it seriously, have now updated to v1.2 but are having problems in getting it to connect to server.

Auto search doesn't bring it up so I add in the manual details but it won't connect, IP/ports I believe are correct - any advice on how to get back this stage ?

I run SC on Ubuntu and have the latest version

Thanks
Ian

Hi, I've just bought squeezemote and am having the same problem.

iPeng connects just fine to my ReadyNAS Duo running SqueezeCenter 7.2.

Any thoughts?

W1NDRUSH
2009-03-02, 09:46
Same problem, updated to latest, can't connect. I was using manual entries. Also is there a way to force using manual entries as vista can't resolve the names aparently. I
Would rather not be asked every
Time. Preferre yr app to ipeng

Luke Redpath
2009-03-02, 11:46
It's very hard for me to debug this kind of thing from my end so I'd be very grateful if somebody experience connection problems would be willing to give me access to their server over the net (temporarily) so I can try and debug the issue. Ideally somebody in UK for timezone reasons.

If anybody can do this and will be around between 7pm-midnight GMT, please email me, luke AT lukeredpath.co.uk. Anybody who can help me out will get an adhoc build once the issue has been resolved to tide you over until the fixed release is on the app store. Thanks.

Luke Redpath
2009-03-02, 11:47
Same problem, updated to latest, can't connect. I was using manual entries. Also is there a way to force using manual entries as vista can't resolve the names aparently. I
Would rather not be asked every
Time.

If on the first launch it is unable to detect your server within 20 seconds, it will prompt you with a manual connection screen. This information *should* be saved and it shouldn't try and auto-detect on the next launch. If this isn't the case then this is a bug which I will also look into.

epogo
2009-03-02, 12:24
@Luke Redpath

Tested today the Squeemote 1.2. It's amazing. An I like the UI - especially the Sync dialog.
When do you think you can integrate the Favorite dialog into the Application ? Because i've my favorite Radio Stations in it.
One other thing: Do you plan to translate the App into German ? And if yes - do you need help ?

Greetings from Germany

epogo

Luke Redpath
2009-03-02, 13:18
Glad you like the sync UI, I've spent a lot of time trying to get it right. I still don't think its perfect (especially with people for lots of sync groups) but for people who just want to sync other devices with their active device I think it hits the spot.

I'll definitely be adding favorites support in the future; I actually started work on it and hit a few brick walls so I put it off for the time being but I will be coming back to it.

Re: internationalization, yes it would be nice to get some common translations (I'm thinking French, Spanish and German to begin with) and I may need some help but this will be further down the line.

mmca22gr
2009-03-03, 07:34
Luke,
How do you play something in the Napster playlist? I am also unable to play using iPeng, but was able to do so using Squidgy.
Both iPeng and Squeemote just show details of the song etc but I can't figure out how to actually get a song to play!

pippin
2009-03-03, 08:07
Luke,
How do you play something in the Napster playlist? I am also unable to play using iPeng, but was able to do so using Squidgy.
Both iPeng and Squeemote just show details of the song etc but I can't figure out how to actually get a song to play!

For iPeng I can help: You have to "touch-and-hold" an item (1s). Works with any playable item, including whole albums.

Rest
2009-03-03, 08:20
Is there any way to browse music folder?

/Fred

mmca22gr
2009-03-03, 09:13
For iPeng I can help: You have to "touch-and-hold" an item (1s). Works with any playable item, including whole albums.

mmm... I thought I had tried that and it did not work with Napster. It seemed the logical option for both iPeng and Squeemote. I will try again tonight if I get the chance.

pippin
2009-03-03, 10:15
mmm... I thought I had tried that and it did not work with Napster. It seemed the logical option for both iPeng and Squeemote. I will try again tonight if I get the chance.

It works (in iPeng). I use it a lot these days.

Luke Redpath
2009-03-03, 18:23
Luke,

Yes, I discovered this the other day after installing the Napster plugin. It seems that unlike some of the other music services, you can drill down through every Napster item. I've already started work on improving the music services screens so you can play Napster items. I may opt for touch-and-hold (ala iPeng), an extra menu item, or both.

Luke Redpath
2009-03-03, 18:24
Is there any way to browse music folder?

/Fred

Not yet, but already done and will be in 1.3.

Enoch Soames
2009-03-04, 06:13
Luke - forgive me if this is a dumb question, but I can't find a 'search' function in Squeemote. Am I missing it?

Thanks for the update, by the way. Very nice.

Luke Redpath
2009-03-04, 08:00
No you're not missing it, I haven't done search yet. I also haven't decided whether it will be in 1.3 or 1.4 but I will keep you informed!

hifial
2009-03-04, 15:14
Hi Squeemote won't connect to my Squeezecentre after the 1.2 update was done.It just keeps going to the manual setup screen.I'm running my server on a Readynas Duo. By the way love the App!!!

Luke Redpath
2009-03-04, 16:51
Hi, this is a known issue that is affecting some users. Getting this resolved is my number one priority and I will be releasing a bugfix release as soon as it is sorted.

Thanks for your patience on this one. Unfortunately its been a busy week but I will get there.

Luke Redpath
2009-03-05, 05:36
Good news, I *think* I've got this fixed. Just sent out a test build so will confirm shortly.

acidix
2009-03-05, 16:52
I just installed Sqeemote.
After launching it, it connects to my SqueezeCenter and the menu is shown for about half a second. Then the app crashed immediately.

I'm using an iPod Touch2 8gb

Thanks for your help.

Luke Redpath
2009-03-06, 06:38
This sounds like it could be to do with the artist sorting bug. An update with a fix for this issue was submitted to Apple on Sunday but it still hasn't been approved yet.

LewisT
2009-07-06, 04:14
Just updated to v1.3. Something is wrong. Whenever I select a track or album to play a screen pops up asking me to "Add to Playlist" or "Replace Playlist". This is new behaviour. Selecting Add to Playlist does nothing. Selecting Replace Playlist switches over to the Now Playing window and does nothing. In fact, I can't get this version to play anything.

Would you also please explain the function of the Music Folders under the More menu. I can see all the Artists/Albums/Tracks listed but selecting something to play does nothing.

Reverting to v1.2.1 until this is sorted out.

local.bin
2009-07-06, 10:41
I have to say since upgrading to 1.3 I am much happier with my purchase :) thanks!

I have iPeng, Squeemote and Squdgy and I like the layout of Squeemote very much.

The sync and devices screen is great, as I always find myself getting frustrated with iPeng's device managers screen scrolling.

keep up the great work!

Thanks

Luke Redpath
2009-07-08, 08:11
I have to say since upgrading to 1.3 I am much happier with my purchase :) thanks!

I have iPeng, Squeemote and Squdgy and I like the layout of Squeemote very much.

The sync and devices screen is great, as I always find myself getting frustrated with iPeng's device managers screen scrolling.

keep up the great work!

Thanks

Thanks for the comments - I'm very happy with the improvements made in Squeemote 1.3, such as the GUI tweaks and search/filtering functionality. I'm glad you do too. Please don't forget to leave a review on the App Store, or update an existing review if you already have ;)

Lewis - I just answered your question on my GetSatisfaction support page - sorry I didn't see this sooner.

local.bin
2009-07-30, 09:28
Thanks for the comments - I'm very happy with the improvements made in Squeemote 1.3, such as the GUI tweaks and search/filtering functionality. I'm glad you do too. Please don't forget to leave a review on the App Store, or update an existing review if you already have ;)

Fair point, added a review to iTunes :) 4/5 for solid progress from 1.0 through 1.3

Just hope you keep on developing! :)

Luke Redpath
2009-07-30, 10:00
Fair point, added a review to iTunes :) 4/5 for solid progress from 1.0 through 1.3

Just hope you keep on developing! :)

Thanks a lot. Still more to come, a few bugs to iron out in 1.3.3, favorites coming in 1.4 and I have a few more ideas up my sleeve.

local.bin
2009-07-31, 05:43
Thanks a lot. Still more to come, a few bugs to iron out in 1.3.3, favorites coming in 1.4 and I have a few more ideas up my sleeve.

Is there anywhere to add a wish list?

I'd like the ability to set alarms.

and the ability to initiate a partial rescan of the library ...

vwgtiturbo
2009-07-31, 23:01
I have the newest squeemote for my iPhone and just updated to the newest squeezecenter the other day and now I can't control squeezecenter with my phone. If I'm lucky, the 'now playing' is accurate, but other than that, I can't do anything. Is anyone else having issues with this combo?

albertone74
2009-09-15, 03:03
Hi there,
I just purchased the Squeemote application for my Ipod Touch and I must admit that I am very happy with it. It works great! I do love it! Having said that I hope someone can help me out with the following questions:

-Does anyone know if it is possible to connect to SqueezeNetwork with Squeemote? I only managed to connect to Squuezecenter through my laptop.

-I have noticed that after selecting a track in the Squeemote menu, I am used to getting a window with 3 options (‘Add to Playlist’ , ‘Replace Playlist’ and ‘Cancel’). Is there any way to play a track straight away without getting that window all the times?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Albertone74

pippin
2009-09-15, 03:08
-Does anyone know if it is possible to connect to SqueezeNetwork with Squeemote? I only managed to connect to Squuezecenter through my laptop.

No, you have to use iPeng for that

-I have noticed that after selecting a track in the Squeemote menu, I am used to getting a window with 3 options (‘Add to Playlist’ , ‘Replace Playlist’ and ‘Cancel’). Is there any way to play a track straight away without getting that window all the times?

:-)

albertone74
2009-09-15, 03:21
No, you have to use iPeng for that

:-)

Hi there,
Thanks a lot for your replay.I didn't know I couldn't do it with Squeemote.
Do you also know if I can play a track without getting that window?

Cheers

pippin
2009-09-15, 03:23
Hi there,
Thanks a lot for your replay.I didn't know I couldn't do it with Squeemote.
Do you also know if I can play a track without getting that window?

I don't think so.
The ":-)" was due to a lot of UI discussions I recently had - iPeng doesn't have that window and some people claimed that it was a simpler UI to always bring it up while I refused to do it that way because it's to slow for _me_.

So you probably should give iPeng a try :-)

albertone74
2009-09-15, 03:29
I don't think so.
The ":-)" was due to a lot of UI discussions I recently had - iPeng doesn't have that window and some people claimed that it was a simpler UI to always bring it up while I refused to do it that way because it's to slow for _me_.

So you probably should give iPeng a try :-)

Now I got the ":)" :)

Thanks again for your kind replay. At this point I will give it a try!!!
Would you please tell me the price for it?

Cheers

pippin
2009-09-15, 03:30
Now I got the ":)" :)

Thanks again for your kind replay. At this point I will give it a try!!!
Would you please tell me the price for it?

Cheers
Are you in the EU? €7.99

albertone74
2009-09-15, 03:36
Are you in the EU? €7.99

No in the UK. Thanks.

pippin
2009-09-15, 04:25
You are shameless pippin to hijack this thread and even propose to buy iPeng.
ts, ts, ts. ;-)
He asked for SqueezeNetwork support...
No harm for Luke since he DID already purchase Squeemote.

pippin
2009-09-15, 04:36
Ja jaaah, he did.
But you're like rubbing salt in the wound of those not able to support SCenter and SN as perfectly as iPeng.
Sorry. But the UI issue isn't "rubbing salt", it's a philosophy thing. There ARE people who tell me that they prefer Squeemote for this behavior and I can even understand that. Obviously albertone74 isn't one of them but people come in different flavors.

Now let's stop hijacking this thread (and I'll try to remind me to finally call you...)

mherger
2009-09-15, 04:38
> But you're like rubbing salt in the wound of those not able to support
> SCenter and SN as perfectly as iPeng.

AFAIK Pippin doesn't own any secret information you couldn't have to make
this happen, too. What information are you lacking?

pippin
2009-09-15, 04:44
> But you're like rubbing salt in the wound of those not able to support
> SCenter and SN as perfectly as iPeng.

Three months of reverse engineering two protocols one of which is rarely documented and the other of which doesn't follow the spec :-)

Locuth
2009-09-15, 05:05
>

Of yourse I have all the information, I just don't have the time and patience to dig into SN(*).

I did not intend to cause a commotion with a semi-serious comment, and
hate to spam here, but you appear to have PMs disabled.
All will be well.

(* also because of what pippin just said ^^)

chenrikson
2009-09-15, 10:47
I just bought Squeemote last week. I like iPeng better so far, but would like to try the new version -- is there a way to upgrade without having to purchase the program again -- or is there some secret iTunes function that I am missing out on?? :-)

pippin
2009-09-15, 11:11
I just bought Squeemote last week. I like iPeng better so far, but would like to try the new version -- is there a way to upgrade without having to purchase the program again -- or is there some secret iTunes function that I am missing out on?? :-)

The secret function is that all upgrades on app on the App Store are free :-) Just go to "App Store" on the device and select "Update".

Which version are you using?, btw, the last one is not really fresh and the next one will hopefully come out less then two weeks from now.

chenrikson
2009-09-15, 11:24
The secret function is that all upgrades on app on the App Store are free :-) Just go to "App Store" on the device and select "Update".

Which version are you using?, btw, the last one is not really fresh and the next one will hopefully come out less then two weeks from now.

Version of iPeng or Squeemote? I know you are coming out soon with a really new iPeng!!!! BTW, my Squeemote version is 1.3.2 (ie. - current version- helps to look at the message dates sometimes - sigh!)