PDA

View Full Version : Slimserver missing songs and erratic behaviour



Simon Turner
2004-05-13, 16:42
Sorry if this has come up before.. if it has please point me to the relevant
thread.

Windows XP
Slimserver 5.1.5
Firmware 10

Slimserver doesn't appear to scan (or display?) my files correctly. Many of
the tracks in various albums are missing. This only happens with flac files.
My mp3s all appear to be listed. I've looked at the tags (using the
wonderful MP3Tag) and they all seem quite fine.
I'm running two Slimservers and they both miss exactly the same tracks.
If I Browse Music Folder all the songs are listed correctly.

I have both .cue and .m3u files in each album directory (and an EAC .log
file).

If it's any help other strange things happen too.... if I start browsing by
say, genre, I might find that the tracks of an album are displayed in the
wrong order, but then if I browse by (say) artists they are listed in the
correct order. In addition quite often I can view an album and see all the
files for the mp3 version I hold, and just three of the flac files, but then
when I browse by a different route I might just see only the flac files and
all the mp3s will all be missing.

Is this a known problem, or am I the only one suffering from it?

Simon Turner
Brighton UK

Harry McQuillen
2004-05-13, 22:12
I have had a similar variant of this problem, at least the first post.
It's been plaguing me lately and Dean said he'd look into it. I've
tried trashing
preferences and re-installing all sorts of daily builds and older installs
to no avail. This happens to me with .aiff files (and apple lossless...)
It started after iTunes 4.5 I believe. It seems half of my tracks
are missing from half my albums. But they're threre!!!! It's been driving
me crazy. I'm Mac OS X 10.3.3 fwiw. I have 13529 songs in my
iTunes library but only 12089 in Slimserver - and it VARIES
build to build. Totally weird.

-Harry

>Slimserver doesn't appear to scan (or display?) my files correctly. Many of
>the tracks in various albums are missing. This only happens with flac files.
>My mp3s all appear to be listed. I've looked at the tags (using the
>wonderful MP3Tag) and they all seem quite fine.
>I'm running two Slimservers and they both miss exactly the same tracks.
>If I Browse Music Folder all the songs are listed correctly.
>
>I have both .cue and .m3u files in each album directory (and an EAC .log
>file).
>
>If it's any help other strange things happen too.... if I start browsing by
>say, genre, I might find that the tracks of an album are displayed in the
>wrong order, but then if I browse by (say) artists they are listed in the
>correct order. In addition quite often I can view an album and see all the
>files for the mp3 version I hold, and just three of the flac files, but then
>when I browse by a different route I might just see only the flac files and
>all the mp3s will all be missing.
>
>Is this a known problem, or am I the only one suffering from it?
>
>Simon Turner
>Brighton UK
>

kdf
2004-05-13, 22:18
ok, here is my thought on this one....find your playlists folder, and either
delete everything in it, or move all the files temporarily. do a search on your
system for a file called slimserver.db and remove it. If you feel really brave,
delete the prefs file. Then start the server.

That will cover the obvious stuff.

-kdf


Quoting Harry McQuillen <lists (AT) spunturtle (DOT) net>:

>
> I have had a similar variant of this problem, at least the first post.
> It's been plaguing me lately and Dean said he'd look into it. I've
> tried trashing
> preferences and re-installing all sorts of daily builds and older installs
> to no avail. This happens to me with .aiff files (and apple lossless...)
> It started after iTunes 4.5 I believe. It seems half of my tracks
> are missing from half my albums. But they're threre!!!! It's been driving
> me crazy. I'm Mac OS X 10.3.3 fwiw. I have 13529 songs in my
> iTunes library but only 12089 in Slimserver - and it VARIES
> build to build. Totally weird.
>
> -Harry
>
> >Slimserver doesn't appear to scan (or display?) my files correctly. Many of
> >the tracks in various albums are missing. This only happens with flac
> files.
> >My mp3s all appear to be listed. I've looked at the tags (using the
> >wonderful MP3Tag) and they all seem quite fine.
> >I'm running two Slimservers and they both miss exactly the same tracks.
> >If I Browse Music Folder all the songs are listed correctly.
> >
> >I have both .cue and .m3u files in each album directory (and an EAC .log
> >file).
> >
> >If it's any help other strange things happen too.... if I start browsing by
> >say, genre, I might find that the tracks of an album are displayed in the
> >wrong order, but then if I browse by (say) artists they are listed in the
> >correct order. In addition quite often I can view an album and see all the
> >files for the mp3 version I hold, and just three of the flac files, but
> then
> >when I browse by a different route I might just see only the flac files and
> >all the mp3s will all be missing.
> >
> >Is this a known problem, or am I the only one suffering from it?
> >
> >Simon Turner
> >Brighton UK
> >
>

Harry McQuillen
2004-05-13, 23:41
Deleted playlists. Did not find slimserver.db. Removed prefs file and .plist

Still the problem exists.

Switched from "Use iTunes" to "Use this music folder" and the missing
tracks came back! Though now I have 24252 songs, nearly 11000 more than
I think I really have...

hmm...

-Harry

>ok, here is my thought on this one....find your playlists folder, and either
>delete everything in it, or move all the files temporarily. do a
>search on your
>system for a file called slimserver.db and remove it. If you feel
>really brave,
>delete the prefs file. Then start the server.
>
>That will cover the obvious stuff.
>
>-kdf

kdf
2004-05-14, 00:00
Quoting Harry McQuillen <lists (AT) spunturtle (DOT) net>:

> Deleted playlists. Did not find slimserver.db. Removed prefs file and .plist
>
> Still the problem exists.
>
> Switched from "Use iTunes" to "Use this music folder" and the missing
> tracks came back! Though now I have 24252 songs, nearly 11000 more than
> I think I really have...
>
> hmm...

server settings, wipe cache..any effect?
all players, no current playlists, etc.

sadly, I'm not familiar with the mojo of osx. I tried to set up a slimp3 for a
friend using his G4 w/ osx....and I was totally lost. however, if you can run
slimserver.pl from a command line (terminal):
slimserver.pl --d_info

it will bombard you with debug info, but you might see something if you watch
carefully in the pattern of text that runs by. Maybe stop the scroll now and
again, and see what the url's look like for the file references. if you are
getting mixed formats for a given file, then something is wrong. if you can
explain those differences, it might help in fixing.

development is locked into bug stomping until 5.2, so any bugs like this will
hopefully get worked out and give a nicely stable 5.2 release.
-kdf